Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

I must be lying. It's important to me to deceive internet strangers about the responsiveness of my controller, you see.

How did you know? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, great game with fantastic atmosphere. The progression/abilities are well designed and you feel like you've earned them when you are throwing everything including the kitchen sink at enemies.

I hope the do a full on sequel.

The map is rubbish however so you can get lost too easily. And I couldn't quite understand the upgrade system. Had to Google a trigger point the last part of the main game as it wasn't obvious to me.

Note: there is a "next gen" version with the option of 60 FPS or ray tracing at 30 FPS. I played the regular version on game pass and series x and it was absolutely fine. Older Xboxes struggle with the game AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You're on about the Elite 1, a once €200 controller. We're talking about the standard one it comes with. I would sincerely hope a €200 controller is better!

And Control is amazing! Reminded me of the old Psy Ops/Second Sight games on the PS2. I believe the house is one of the best worlds ever created, and the stories around it sucked me right in. Loved the gameplay too, played it originally on the PS4 Pro and it looked lurvly, holding a second playthrough until I eventually play Alan Wake and then play Control and AWE.

You do get more power ups, though one or two are not exactly on the main quest path, but if you like exploring you should find them, they're not hard to get. But don't expect the same amount as most other games. It has a handful, but does them all really well. Was my 2019 GOTY, and I look forward to the sequel.

He's talking about the Elite controller? A mere €180 now. A bargain for a responsive A button!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

I nabbed an elite 2 for €100 during a sale last year and I absolutely love it. It’s got such a nice weight to it, and I find I miss the back paddles on other controllers. Definitely wouldn’t recommend at full price but the extra features were worth the extra €40.

Downloaded Windjammers 2 this morning, love the 90s arcade vibe, and it looks like it’s going to be a challenge, right now I don’t really feel fully in control of what’s happening, a tutorial would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The face buttons, shoulder buttons, triggers and thumbsticks all use the same internal components so the shouldn't be any difference to the regular controller in that regard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Does the combat get any better after the first guardian? Not sure if I need to give it more time but it’s a little underwhelming at the minute.

The GC controller says hello. 🙂 But yeah the pro controller is fantastic, was using it on PC for a bit but switched back to a wired Xbox 360 controller for better compatibility, does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The combat throughout is pretty simplistic. You get different ranged attacks and you can also get upgraded versions of them, and different weapons with different speeds, power etc, but for the most part it's still just dive in for a few physical attacks, dodge out, use a few ranged attacks, dive back in etc. There'll be a lot of different types of enemies requiring different tactics etc, some areas can be hectic with enemies etc. The combat is fairly simplistic, but it can definitely get challenging enough.

It's not really a combat game, but more puzzle/exploration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well you can customise the trigger sensitivity and how far down they press but I haven’t really used that. The best things for me about it are:

The paddles, being able to press a button instead of pressing down on the sticks is much more comfortable to me

the battery, rechargeable through USB-C with a ridiculous battery life(30 hours)in comparison to the duel sense

Custom profiles. I have slightly different controller setups for some games and you can switch 3 of them on the fly from the controller

there’s also a lot of changes you can make to basically any input through the app, but I haven’t bothered with that.

It feels premium and has a lot of nice features but won’t make you any better at games. I think if you game regularly and find one in or around 100 it’s a worthwhile investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The paddles, being able to press a button instead of pressing down on the sticks is much more comfortable to me

That's what I have been doing with the back paddles for years since I got the Elite gen 1. Using them instead of clicking the thumb sticks saves my thumbs as they get sore from too much gaming. I only use two out of the four back paddles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing Death’s Door as well - in the ‘basement’ of the ceramic manor, which is my first major area after the tutorial one. It’s pretty good and definitely at its best when you’re exploring and finding secrets. There’s a lot of combat but so far probably too much given the quality and depth of the combat. Was particularly annoying to have to fight waves of enemies to unlock the first power up.

A great looking and sounding game, and there’s an overt homage to Spirited Away’s Yubaba which was delightful. Hasn’t really gotten totally under my skin yet though - so far it hasn’t quite had that special something, even though I like plenty of the individual elements.

Yep, the Studio Ghibli vibes are strong in it. Definitely getting the Zelda buzz too. Trying to get past the witch. Hope I can stick with it. Hopefully the combat doesn't get too trying. I think a crow makes a good hero. Especially with an umbrella. ☺️ I like the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wait what? Studio Ghibli?? I just started watching that collection on Netflix over Christmas with my daughter, goddamn magical! Don't think we've watched Spirited Away though.

Next on my list! Should be a breath of fresh air after the Valhalla slog.

You have a broken controller. That doesn't mean all controllers have the same problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Elden Ring is the stand out game among those for me. Steam Deck also supposed to be out end of Feb for the early adopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Fairly torn which of the big Feb releases to get, spoilt for choice. Think I'll wait on reviews, grab one, then wait until the others dip in price a little.

Sifu is getting a delayed physical release so will definitely hold fire for a while until I can get the disc, wheeling and dealing trade ins can save a good few quid on new releases

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People keep going on about February, and Elden Ring is the only one I actually care about 😅 I’d happily give some of the others a look at some stage if they’re well received (Sifu does look intriguing), but certainly Elden Ring is the only one that’s a guaranteed play.

I wasn’t a big fan of Horizon (and Elden Ring stands out as a much more intriguing open world competitor in the same way Breath of the Wild did with the original game), although I’d be tempted to give it a whirl just to see how nice it looks on a good TV. But the game itself I’m neither here nor there about.

Whatever vague interest I had in Dying Light 2 was killed by the developers boasting about how much of a time sink it is. It’d need to be extraordinarily well received to counter that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find it hard to care about anything other than elden ring. Sol cresta could be interesting though.

• Advertisement

I'm not really into the Souls games, but even I want to get Elden Ring.

I'm done buying games. Have a load of Switch, 3DS and GamePass games, which will do me for the next couple of years. Will grab a PS5 V2 slim whatever in a few years time and hoover up all the 10/10s on the cheap.

#PatientAndTimePoorGamerWithGamePassUntilEndOf2023

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah haven't played a Souls game so no interest in getting that at release. I got the complete edition of Horizon and only played it last year so can wait for that one as well. Next game I get at release will probably be the new Zelda.

Thing is, as I mentioned with the first Horizon, for a lot of games, a Complete Edition is likely to come out later, though may be a year or more. So I guess if you're in no rush to get it, may as well wait for that or a big discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Elden ring will be the one il be nabbijg, gameshare on xbox so set me bacl around 20 euro after I use the free vouchers Microsoft give you then I will pick up ps4 version of horizon in around 3 months for 30 quid and update it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony games get discounted pretty quickly I find.

And horizon isn't a from software game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't saying Horizon was a From game, just mentioned it since it's also in February.

The PS5 games didn't get discounts too quickly, like Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. And when they did start going down they were only to about the price of last gen games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm definitely looking forward to Elden Ring, but I'm going to play and finish Horizon first, if for no other reason than it'll give others time to find some of the secrets and leave messages and stuff behind in Elden Ring.

Yeah looking forward to splashing the big bucks (weird to say I know) for a AAA title on launch, something I haven't done in what seems like forever now. I think the last game was AC: Valhalla because I wanted something new with my Series X.

Elden Ring for sure, maybe Dying Light but the last game I had a problem with in that they effectively had a do over of Dead Island and I couldn't get away from that the whole time I was playing it, it was the same game with more polish and a few new things.

Don't know if I have the patience anymore for a game like Elden Ring.

Fight mid level boss, die 5 times, turn xbox/PC off. Rinse repeat a few times, never play game again.

• Advertisement

As much as I'm looking forward to Elden Ring, I'm most hyped for Dying Light 2. I loved Dead Island so much but Dying Light was a game changer. I tried Dead Island again last year and was unplayable due instantly wanting to parkour everywhere.

Gonna hold out for Horizon, it went get a look in with DL and Elden Ring. Sifu might be a nice game to jump in and out of.

Advertisement