Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure telecom modem

Options
  • 18-01-2022 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

My dad has this small looking black pure telecom. Modem and since I moved from Vodafone to sky I wonder could I give him the big grey modem I used to use because the one he has keeps cutting off the internet ,I wouldn’t know how to do it but would anyone have any instructions or is it even possible

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would ring pure telecom and ask them about a change of modem. They have fritzbox ones for Siro, which are white and red now. Maybe his is an old one. They're good hardware and worth the upgrade from an older one. What model is the current one? You may be able to get a new one, and add the old one in as a repeater in a mesh network. It's pretty easy, if the old one supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

The old one was technicolour ,no weigh in it ,how hard is it to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re using Fritzboxes on the non Siro stuff now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

What does that mean are the Fritz boxes better then the big grey Vodafone modem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

They are by far the best of all the modems that you can get from a residential ISP at the moment and as MarkR mentions they have mesh capability, either by using additional Fritz modems or buying plugtop repeater units.

The Vodafone gigabox is heavily locked down - I don't know if you can even get it to work with any ISP other than Vodafone so it may not even work on your father's Pure connection - and has very mixed WiFi performance.

Vodafone will also at some stage likely seek for you to return the modem back to them or they will charge you a non-return free.

I would get on to Pure and ask them to upgrade the modem but mention the issues he is having, there may be an underlying issue there that a modem swap won't necessarily solve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 WaitingFTTH

What model of FritzBox is provided by Pure for FTTH service? Is it the 5530?

I agree with all of the comments that AVM's FritzBox are a great range of products and I've been using them in various locations with DSL/VDSL service with great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Advertisement