Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Xander10

who is the target audience for their books?

I'm getting the impression its's people I would find irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Can't stand those 2 Aisling fools. How they've managed to drag 4 books out of it I don't know.

Surely generalising and stereotyping is not cool in this modern age???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

2 **** doses

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

These 2 would be more suited to a loose woman type of program, full of themselves.

That chair did nothing for yer wan anyways.

• Advertisement

They'd be a good advertisement for bringing back lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nope not good.

I don't like him and he is barely on 2mins.

I took the hint from the Lord ut was time

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So boring this lad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Des has mellowed an awful lot.

He used to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A fair few of these interviews are like sitting in on a therapy session.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Brigin was interviewed with her father last year

not a great show this week overall. and a bit of an odd music combo to wrap it up.

Love the harp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'd say the green room was a bit awkward at the recording.

And you are?

I was the lead singer with 'The Who'.

Hehehehe... yeah, never heard of them...hehehehe, lets tell you about Aisling, she's like, amazing!

RD: Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Very nice surprise to see Daltry on. We were not expecting such a big name and flicked off after about 60 seconds of the 2 clowns in tents on after him.

Graham Norton now to bail out the evening

Tommy hunched over with a big serious head on him....long silences....deep questions about childhood and traumatic events...it's exactly like a therapy session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Gave up drink at 19,

”Sure you were only getting’ started. ‘s like giving up cycling after tricycles!”

brilliant!!

I went to Tommy T in Vicar St a few months ago and he himself was terrible. Maybe he didn't have any material written but really awful stuff. He was on for only about 20 minutes too. He started off by doing this spiel in an english accent, which wasn't funny at all. And then other times he'd just shout out in a nigerian type accent "I LOVE ANAL SEX".

His openers were much better actually. Eleanor who did MC tonight was very good. As was Julie Jay and Fred Cooke was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought Tommy could have asked better questions. Felt like a great opportunity lost. Daltry was mad for chat. Great guest, poor questions. The two women on after were not my demographic. Switched off for 10 minutes, switched back on to see Des Bishop in downbeat self reflective mode. Switched off.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Roger Daltrey with the wonderful Wilko Johnson.

Please, enjoy.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Small doses he is grand. His peak was around 2008. Admire how he has made the most of his talents. But the older version of Des can be a bit dull IMO. But maybe some like the ‘who am I ?’ type stuff . But IMO it seems repetitive to listen to after a while.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

two absolute doses, the title of their new book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Enjoyed the show tonight.

You could sense a genuine rapport between Tommy and Rodger Daltrey. The conversations actually feel like two people just being themselves. It's unimaginable that Tubridy would be able to have such a genuine chat with a guest.

Even with Des and the Aisling girls - I didnt hate listening to them as I probably would have if Tubridy interviewed them. A few weeks ago he interviewed one of the girls and the whole thing was about her eating disorder.

Even the musicians were more enjoyable than those on the LLS. Ridiculous that Tommy has not been given the LLS at this point.

But would TT leaning forwards looking people in the eye with long moments of awkward silences be enough to fill all that extra time? I believe Tommy calls it ‘resonating’. Others would call it dead air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Enjoyed that interview with Roger Daltrey. Getting him on was quite the coup for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I dunno, but the silences would still be an improvement on the sanctimonious lectures of the other insincere tosser.

I fairness to TT when he clicks with an interviewee it works really well. Michael D. is probably his best interview in my opinion. But the interviewee has to be talkative able for the unusual back and forth. Otherwise it gets a bit stuck at times. The half hour is plenty for TT's type of style keeps the pace up, I think.

As for the Late Late I have not watched it in years - except the Toy Show. I have thought that a rotating panel of interviewers depending on the subject might be the way to go. TT could do the zany left field guests/human interest, someone else sport, someone else politics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Those other people would also be known as c**ty TV execs.

What about the viewers and the guests though?

Mostly those 'Tommy pauses' are really over done. Resulting in nervous laughter from the guest. And studio audience.

A former Tommy Tiernan show guest Roisin Murphy gave a good description of what it was like on Tommy's show, as a guest.

From the above -

Singer Róisín Murphy has described her appearance on The Tommy Tiernan Show last year as "strange" after being left bemused by the comedian's line of questioning.

"He just kept saying to me, 'Róisín, you're so confident, aren't you?'" she said.

"I'd start talking about something else, and then he'd go, 'Aren't you so confident, though? I mean, you really are confident!'.

"You know, it took me aback, and I didn't say – probably for good reason – 'Why shouldn't I be confident?'. I kind of went, 'Yeah, I am – my father and my mother made me feel confident'.

"But that should be a baseline - take confidence away from people, they can't function. You have to have some confidence."

The Tommy Tiernan Show is unusual in that the guests' identities are kept secret from the host and the audience until they appear in front of the cameras.

Róisín said: "It's a good concept – you just jump out there. But it's very hard for the guest as well."

"It's a bit more like therapy than a talk show. It's strange."

--

The latter is similar to how another poster just described the show a page back - as a 'therapy session' type thing, which I can see why. Throw in the awkward silences (leaning forwards) and odd line of questioning - it really does seem like a therapy session a lot of the time.

Another thing Tommy seems to like to do which makes it seem like a therapy session - is what I would describe as 'fishing for sadness'. I remember other interviews he would come out with something like 'There is a sense of sadness off ya'. Or 'Are you happy?'

Which is ironic considering many other RTE presenters get criticised on boards for looking for misery - or a 'misery slot'.

When he goes down that road I find the show becomes awkward. However, the back and forth stuff - banter joking TT is great at. Those type of interviews he really excels at. But the show can be a bit hit and miss because of Tommy's style.

To paraphrase a nursery rhyme -

'When it is good it is very good, but when it is bad it is awkward'.

The funny part is I never really liked Tommy's comedy. But it is great he has found a niche for himself and trying something different. His niche is oddness.

I wouldn't pretend the show is perfect though - hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Enjoyed seeing Daltry but my god the interview was Dull , could have been gold .

Switched off almost instantaneously when I saw Des Bishop appear, Christ what a profound bore.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement