Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I think Morris is a good capture. I know there are grumblings that the style of football he applies isn't the prettiest but he has got Shels out of the 1st Division twice and has a good working knowledge of LOI football. Just need to leave him do the job which is the biggest worry..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Anyone's guess. Unlikely to retain more than half of last year's squad though.

You'd field a top LOI side with the players who've left Waterford over the past 1-2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

Plenty of good work done with plenty of signings of players today by the club.. Squad shaping up nicely now 👏💙⚽

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

We’re going up. C’mon you blues.

• Advertisement

Great to see the majority of last year's squad are re-signing. Makes a big change on last few years. Hopefully they gel with the management team and hit the ground running!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah and by god we're going to have a fight on our hands to get back up to the promised land. Look at Cork who everyone would of tipped to come straight up

Another few marquee signings on the way next week if rumours are correct.. I think we will have a great chance of getting back up on our first attempt, we'll need a bit of luck along the way too though 💙⚽

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Anthony Wordsworth has been confirmed as signed up for the coming season. That is an excellent bit of work by the club, delighted to see this happening. A good squad being assembled .

Good stsrt to preseason with a comfortable win over Cobh yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

With the bookies, Waterford are 2/1 favourites to win the title. According to the odds, Galway will be our biggest rivals on 11/4, with Cork next on 9/2. I know those odds won't earn us a single point in the league but betting is often a decent indicator of how things will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Would be interesting to see who the trialists were in the game, looks as though one or two of them might have done well.

We seem to have kept a fair few of last year's squad. We weren't a bad side last year. I'd say that no team was ever relegated before with such a high number of points. So we were alot stronger than most relegated teams. Indeed, without the covid outbreak where we had to field youth teams etc, we might never have gone down. Of course, none of that is any guarantee that we'll get back up this season.

So what's the news on Cork? I'm a bit surprised that they weren't closer to promotion last year. They're now probably the biggest club in the division, a real sleeping giant. Are the bookies right about their chances this year?

We need to hit the ground running.. Get a few wins together early on and i cant see anyone better than us in the Division..

As for Cork..Forever in our shadow.. We're Munsters Number 1.. #BLUES 💙⚽👊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I see Waterford lost to Treaty United in Munster Senior Cup last night in Limerick.

The game was moved to UL on astroturf at very short notice cos Market's Field was unplayable.

Thought they would have an easy game there but obviously not! I suppose it is still Pre Season.

Bohemians on Saturday at the RSC.

So here we are again, 5 years on from the start of this thread, back in the First Division away to Athlone Town. Best of luck to the Blues this season. Let's hope for a quick return to the Premier, good crowds and a better result against Athlone Town than last time.

First game of the season tonight Away to Athlone.. Can't wait. Good Away support expected.. 4 Buses from the City and one from Dungarvan heading up. Best of luck to Ian and the squad.. Hopefully we'll hit the ground running and get back up to the Premier Division on our first attempt #BLUEARMY 👍

Great start to the lge campaign last night.. Roll on Bray at home next Friday 👍

Roll on Bray is right but is €16 a ticket not a bit steep for the 1st Division? Thought they'd be brought down a bit from last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Seems to be everyone is charging that. €12.50 for the 16 home games for me as I got the season ticket.

Yeah season ticket is decent value if you can get to every game but with work commitments, I'll probably miss 5/6 games throughout the year so would end up costing me more per game.

The money has to come from somewhere I suppose when the club are operating on a full time basis..

Another 3 points tonight. Meant to get to the game but had to work instead. Anyone get to it? How are we shaping up and did we get a decent crowd? I thought that Bray were one of the better sides in the division so I suppose a 1 - 0 win is a decent result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pretty much a full house there, football had its moments but very few and far between, drab safety first shite for the most part and almost paid the price for not looking to get at them a bit more on a couple of occasions.

The times we did have a go and show some intent we got at them, there were goals to be had. Power was the pick of the match for me, not a lot else to write home about and in fairness I wouldn't expect too much more as the season goes on I think it will be a lot of safety first football. Ultimately winning and getting out of this division is all that matters but the fans were vocally unhappy with the lack of attacking intent a lot.

Bray were shite.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Thanks for that. Obviously, we'd prefer to see good football but as you say, getting back up is the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

It was a scrappy game but we got the win. Some good runs forward from big left back Taylor and nice skill from Junior Quitirna at times but overall not a good game. We head to Galway next week with maximum points so can't argue with that.

This division is a dogfight.. No pretty football, it's all about grinding out results.. I'd take 1-0 wins all day long.. That's what's needed to get out of this division

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Agreed

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement