Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

By the letter if the law it's a pen,and viera would scream for it if it was his player involved,but to me,they aren't pens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I look at Hendo and VVD's form since they signed their new contracts has not been at a level you would expect.

Now both have mitigating circumstances due to injuries however their form has dropped a big level this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Everyone thought Afcon would kill us. 2 wins out of 2 and through in both cups aswell. However its that Midfield that will eventually kill us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Whatever about VVD he's coming back from serious injury which will change his game and will take time to fully adjust. Let's hope he can get back to almost as good as he once was.

Henderson though is just not the same player at all doesn't affect games at all now. Gas they signed contracts for these two at the drop of a hat but twiddling there thumbs on Salah ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit of a break now anyway. Had a lot of games recently and a few lads looked a bit leggy today.

• Advertisement

When are we back exactly

February 6th for the FA cup game against Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

You are correct about VVD but I'd love to see us sitting deeper. It's making him look worse than he is!

The high line is undoing a lot of the good work we do and teams know how to play around it.

Seriously puzzles me why we can't play deeper because we have the fire power to score goals. Be a brave man to ask Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I hate breaks. These lads need to be playing every 3rd day to get the best out of them. All breaks do is allow the injuries to mount up and the team to get rusty. First games back are always brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Yep we aren't winning the league with the midfield as it's currently playing. Need Tiago back big time but he's not reliable enough fitness wise for the league.

Weirdly I'm more confident of us in the champions League than the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

February Games

From the CAF World cup draw one of Mane or Salah will miss the World Cup as they have to play each other in the play-offs in March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Henderson is the easy target,

Hes trying to do what je always does but he has tocover far more ground because the sided midfeilder used to give us a strong base in Gini, that not there when, Thaigo is injured which is more often than not

Curtis Jones does a fabulous impression of the invisible man when we dont have the ball, Because hes young and scouse he gets away with murder, Doesnt tackle, and can't block passing channels, he's a passenger when we are out of possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's not weird.

Our odds of winning the CL are shorter than for the PL.

Theres a few reasons,

1,Our press woudn't work,to much score between the lines, and give teams woth inferior players more time to pick passes,

2, If we sit deep the full backs will be depper so less effective going Forward,

3, If the whole team does not sit deep and its just the back four then Fabhinos lack of pace as the 6 would become a massive problem, if we are not compact therw will be to much space,

3, we generally have thw ball most of the time so pushing high means when we turn it over its est to win it back quicker

4, we dont have the controling type of players to play deep and slow paced, We are a high octane players who get on the front foot,

5, Top teams play high now, City play as high as we do but have quicler CBsand Walker so it's never brought up

So will the club stump up £5m for this kid in the next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've watched it again, and while it's soft, I can see why it's given.

Keeper slides, doesn't touch the ball, takes Jota out. We're all a bit distracted by Jota's terrible touches. Because they're crap, we're all so aghast that he's lost the chance, but the keeper does slide across into him.

It's soft, but Guaita is getting off very lightly in some of the analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What a performance from Alisson.

Not a penalty for me, but it happens. Goes against us plenty. Goes for other teams.

Played very well for 35 mins first half and deserved to be a few goals up. Defended poorly in the second half, Matip's passing in particular a big worry for the second game in a few days.

Biggest thing for me is another win after a tough fixture period and gained 2 points on City. Another win without the AFCON lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Could the leeds match be fixed between the Norwich game and the carabao final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Problem is Jota clearly just redirects himself towards the keeper to go looking for it once he looses the ball. There would have been no contact but for Jota instigating it and that's why is shouldn't have been a peno but we will take it. Makes up for the blatant one not given against Spurs....I'm more concerned about how we are showing a complete lack of control once we get on the front foot. 5 times this season now we have had 2 goal leads and cruising only to let the opposition back into it. We got away with it today but it needs to be resolved as our midfield is actually a liability as it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Take the win and move on, it was brilliant for 30 minutes and then abysmal for the rest of the game. I also can't believe the peno was given but I don't see much chatter about Ox's goal, very lucky to get away with an offside there, Firmino was off and made a clear attempt to head it and his presence alone forced the defender to try and track him and left Ox free behind him.

If it is it will have to be an early kick-off so not to compete with the Champions League games

its games like that why i think its nuts not to play Alisson in the final .Its professional football surely we have to play our best players ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All the talk over the penalty made the pass go unnoticed, but that was one of his best

Also, we have no control because of a few things.

1. VVD isn't what he was. He could literally cover a backline on his own in his pomp.

2. Henderson isn't what he was. He has energy, but he vacates his area too easily.

3. Thiago and Keita are massive losses.

4. No Mo and Mane means we can't pin teams back as efficiently.

If City didn't exist, we'd probably get by. But when you're aiming for 92+ points, you need elite control or teams will catch you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pen didn't seem thaaat tough a call to me... keeper was sooo late, and the contact sooo heavy, that any little shapes to Jota's movement are largely irrelevant. I think all it comes down to is how far the ball is from Jota, and the pace on it. If you can definitely categorically say he won't reach it, it's not a pen. If there's any chance he could've reached it, it's a pen. And it looked like there was at least the possibility he could reach it to me.

VVD did look flat footed for the first, I thought he could have cut that ball out, had he not stopped, he checked, tried to play off side, but then Trent and Matip showed NO effort what so ever to get back to the man that actually scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

The key reason I didn't feel it was a pen is that it appeared to me Jota changes direction, not towards the ball but towards the keeper. He initiates the contact. Just another in a long line of dubious decisions by officials, plenty of which have not gone in our favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's not a penalty, if it was given against us i would be raging, it's not a big problem as I don't think it changed the result, unlike other questionable decisions this weekend

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The worst thing about the penalty is that all the talk is going to be about the penalty now.

It will be in the back of referees heads. I hope there is one not given in a tighter game at 0-0 or 1-1 in the future.

I'd rather be given the penalty in the Spurs game rather than today!

But the thing is it would be given against us,so we take this, doesn't make it a pen but it's how it is.

I dont think its a peno at all, ball was gone and Jota changed his direction slightly to make contact

Anyine else think Matip looked very dodgy the last two games,

Id have liked to see Konate play today

I would think that the majority don't think it was a penalty, i will reiterate that it's a bad decision that didn't seem to change the result unlike other bad decisions.

• Advertisement

Matip looked well dodgy, but Konate hasn't been infallible, i think the preference might be in the physicality of the opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

It wasn't a peno for me anyway but I'll happily take it, I'd have been raging if it was given against us. I'm still baffled that the ref got sent to the screen and overturned his decision as I don't think it was a clear and obvious error.

Bobby should have gotten Oxs goal ruled out. He clearly went to head it but looks like he pulled out as he might have gotten a shout but he still reacted to the ball. Again I'd be raging if it was against us.

A very ropey performance by us today but an utter sh1t show from the officials. Gallagher could have had a few more yellow cards too.

I'd much rather a scrappy 0-1 win from a deflection than winning from dodgy decisions but a win is a win and I'm not complaining as we got the 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not a penalty for me either, nice to actually get a dodgy decision for once, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Got lucky today, sloppy stuff from 35 mins till the end. Not a pen. Gotta win when not playing well though. Alison motm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Good points indeed.

It's just we are so rigid in formation and style. I would like to see some game management when the pressure hits like it did today.

Drop deeper and close the channels of play coming through. Just a taught.

I've messaged Jurgen...I'll let you know what he thinks 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Same.

Also, it came at the end so not as big a deal as others are making of it. You'd swear it was given in the 1st minute and their keeper was sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Love that Jota song.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Seems a soft penalty, but its a penalty. When Ederson took out Fraser everyone seemed to agree it should have been a penalty, but Cancelo took the ball away from Fraser. So what is the difference here? Fraser couldn't get the ball either but he was taken out by the keeper. You cannot just take out a player and hope to get away with it.

I heartily recommend MOTD2 last night.

Jermaine Jenas and Micah Richards.

The salt. My God, the salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Didn't seem to bad to me?

Obviously criticising both decisions bit fair enough I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

No pen,matip and Virgil were all over the shop awful . Only for Allison it would have been embarrassing, its a win but that's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On criticism Jena's did make was fair enough.

Obviously we hold a high line, but VVD in particular seems to be absolving himself for any responsibility once it is breached. The desire to get back is minimal.

We might have to learn to play 5-10 yards deeper unless we get more midfield options asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's great to get the two wins on the board before the break. I am really hoping though that Klopp gives our ACON player a rest during the FA Cup.

It would be very interesting to hear Klopp thoughts on it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Some random thoughts :

Palace goalie blocked Jota. Should have saw the ball was going out anyway. Not 100% peno but there was a reason for VAR to look at it.

Alisson was incredible.

You cannot start games like Palace did and then expect something out of the game ?

Can we win the league ? Yes we can. Only way for City is down.

And the Kane non-goal was a bigger outrage I feel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement