Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will local radio stations undo covid cutbacks ?

• 22-01-2022 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Since March 2020, local radio stations like Highland radio and Galway bay FM have been on overnight music mode from around 7pm, Now that everything can open up, will they reinstate live evening programming ?

Comments

Could depend on advertising revenue I’d say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Are there still ads on the stations after 7pm? I’ve not noticed any cutbacks with the stations I listen to personally, although I did hear there’s a woman on LMFM who does something like seven hours on-air weekdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I had a quick look at LMFM's schedule. It looks like Túathla Lucey is the presenter in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

That’s right! Her name escaped me for a moment there. I remember she was let go from Spin south west around the time of their networking so it’s good to see she’s still going .

It says she presents 6-10pm and then 11pm-1am so it’s unclear what happens from 10-11. I would imagine 11-1am is voice tracked but even then, that’s a different skill that takes time to hone. It’s an unmerciful amount of hours to fill. I wonder if she has much time to prepare her show.

It seems rather unfair that the other shows on the station are two hours each (except for breakfast which is three). When the position was advertised, the salary stated was only 20k. It’s some experience at the end of the day, I suppose, but I hope she managed to negotiate higher for that amount of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Radio Kerry have brought back a lot of their evening and night shows up to 10pm recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

have to point out here that Mid West Radio in Mayo have live programming 7 days per week, from 7am to 1am and sometimes 2 am.

This continued during Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ah but Claffy was cute; he cattle fluked his staff and gave them sheep dip once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

I suppose until local businesses start advertising they are going to be very careful with the cost of staff. Used to be the hospitality industry that gave a lot by of the rural stations much of the advertising. Also while they might still be running ads it’s the cost of the slots that’s important not just the number of minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

UK anoraks are always taken aback by how well staffed Midwest radio is for such a small franchise area. Their equivalent ILR would be 4 or 5 presenters doing 4 hour shifts a day and voicetracked most of the weekend. Even the BBCs local radio stations announced last year that their covid cutbacks of presenters doing 4 hour shifts was going to be permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think Covid 19 is only part of the challenge. Radio and especially listening habits are changing rapidly. Especially the younger audience expects way more choice than one or two local stations and the existing RTE. You see that development in many countries. Take a look at the Czech republic, where they had a massive amount of small local stations which are being bought by bigger ones, creating networks.

In Ireland they are missing the changes totally. Also not implementing DAB+ means continued lack of choice and declining interest and also declining revenue. Due to the lack of DAB+ the younger audience is turning to the internet, to online streams, etc... Yes, cutbacks can be undone, however that would have to go in line with bigger advertising revenue and that I think can only be achieved with a more tailored offering towards the younger audience.

It will be a difficult and long learning curve for local radio in Ireland, - sadly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement