Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Same here, absolutely lost for the last two years, mine is serious hearing loss due to meningitis when younger, hey but I'm alive!

I just got on with it as best I could, but even pre Covid trying to follow convos in a noisy spot was very difficult. Just my problem.

Anyway after years of trying different hearing aids which did damn all for me, I finally last year got these super duper aids called Phonak. My god my life has been transformed. The next generation of hearing aids. Phone is connected to them via bluetooth, and an app can be configured to suit your surroundings, i.e. blocking out background noise etc. It is not perfect, but as the audiologist said - it is an aid not a miracle! But what a difference. The only trouble I have now is in echoey settings, and of course the masks behind screens, but once explained, all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think when RTE stopped sending out a notification about the case numbers, we knew it was over.

Gavin Riley might even stop tweeting about it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

They started that around this time last week. No harm either

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

In fairness to Gav he managed to get Donnelly to admit this morning that 50% of the hospital cases are now incidental.

Also, he said many of the ICU cases are long term & probably all Delta.

Tony is probably still sticking to his 5% however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I wish someone responded to this tweet by saying..."He got over 2 weeks off at Christmas because the tinpot media company Virgin Media stopped having news during Christmas"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Hopefully the cult of Fergal Bowers/Gavan Reilly/Zara King/Richard Chambers dies now.

I saw an article from Fergal Bowers on RTE today about how it's time to move on from the pandemic now. It's a great example of what people were rightly saying that Bowers is just a mouthpiece for NPHET and not a journalist doing his own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 13,689 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No argument there .

But my point was that there are people like Staines or Pat Kenny on one side for example and those protestors still marching who need to move on .

Those vulnerable will go back to looking after themselves like that gentleman and others have always done .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Claire Byrne and Pat Kenny tomorrow:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

People who listen to Claire Byrne and Pat Kenny tomorrow:

Ahh same here on one side . I have just had to keep saying , I can't hear you with the mask , but it has made things very difficult at work . I have one of those hearing aids connected to my phone and laptop but it flips out every time I take off my mask and has gotten lost ( and found again thankfully ) many times in the last 2 years .

Got a nasty ear infection while I was on steroids a few years back and it was too late when it was treated and picked up .

Very happy to see the back of them generally , but think they will be with us in hospitals foreva , unfortunately 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I thought Bowers has been very balanced.

His analysis pieces tried to look at all sides https://www.rte.ie/author/822895-fergal-bowers/?page=4

i don’t think I could say the same about George Lee.

Great to see/ hear so many people moving on and are obviously getting on with their lives now .

We were all out for drinks as a family last night ( first time with the youngest ! ) with our lads and they went on to town and meeting their friends afterwards while we walked home with neighbours .

It was bliss 😊

Don’t you know. Anyone in the public sphere who has said anything apart from “open up immediately” from the start is a confirmed Covid nazi and deserve to be removed from any role they hold

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Presumeably there are still thousands becoming infected daily and that number will probably increase for the next few weeks with lifting of restriction.

Will people continue to get PCR tested and self isolate for the 7 or 10 days and will they take the lifting of restrictions as marking the end of the pandemic?

Yes.

I see people walking around with masks all weekend going to and from the shops . I know one person who has just come out of isolation and is just trying to not pass anything on. He knows he doesn't strictly have to .

Others may be vulnerable, or just anxious .

It is nobody's business at this stage . If people want to they are entitled as it is not affecting others .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And You are also asked if you are a close contact and not restricting because you are boosted to wear a mask for 10 days

Personally I will wear a mask when and where I see fit and as you say its no one business

I honestly dont know why people care if others wear a mask ? I was out for dinner earlier and everyone who walked in had a mask on .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The fixation around whether other people wear a mask or not defies logic. It'll take time before everybody, or the majority of people, dispenses with them. What's the big deal? It's their choice and doing no harm. All those who shouted about rights for the past couple of years need to accept that people have a right to wear a mask, without questioning or ridicule, if they wish.

• Advertisement

I picked up a nasty virus in 2018 which took about 6 months to get fully over. I am convinced I picked this up on public transport. I expect that I will continue to wear a mask in future on packed public transport. Particularly in winter.

i have also been one of those advocating for opening up but common sense will mean protection. Not that worried about planes but airport queues are a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

One observation I had earlier when we went out for dinner is that older people who came into the pub/restaurant mostly wore masks but younger people didn’t. None of the staff were sure whether the customers had to wear masks or not.

I completely agree that if some people want to wear masks in situations where it isn’t mandatory then it’s up to them.

Expect to see sun glasses and masks for future episodes of Garda Patrol and Crime Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,585 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Over the past few two years we had people who didn't believe in restrictions, covid, the numbers, etc However I don't find people care if somebody else wears a mask they just don't want to wear one themselves or be judged for not wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I wouldn't say mask usage has collapsed. But over this weekend, I've been to the library, swimming pool, blanch center, Ratoath garden center and a few local shops. And I've definitely seen less people wearing them. Before I'd see the odd person and they'd always stand out. Over the weekend I seen loads without them. Myself being one of them. I'm done with them for shops and that. Buses and clinical environments, I'll still wear one as long as there is a requirement.

Strangely enough, I'd say this weekend stands out as a time period where I've seen the most amount of people wearing masks outdoors. Not sure why. But I seen loads of people outside wearing masks.

Maybe as said earlier these are people who are not sure if they are still infectious or not or people who are vulnerable?

Numbers infected are still high , and while it is not a serious jnfection for many , there are people who need to go to the shops , pharmacy etc who are vulnerable and don't want to be taking any risks .

That is now their call to make and others will have to get used to the sight of some wearing masks outside of areas where it is deemed necessary .

Personally will only be wearing them where I have to as am sick and sore from them , but would not discourage anyone else from protecting themselves or others as they see fit .

I am not saying you are saying anything about those wearing masks still btw .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭amandstu

Can you catch Omicron twice?(esp if unvaccinated)

If so ,and you had vulnerable friends or family would you still need to take precautions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Yes it would seem you can catch Omicron more than once, my own nephew has got it twice, he was just over the first dose of it and got it again in a more severe form five weeks later, not nice I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is this the same nephew that told you about the lockdowns that never happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Pretty much everyone dropped masks here immediately on Saturday. If I see someone wearing them now I'll assume they're recently/currently infected or close contacts following that guidance.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Advertisement