Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the grand canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Robertstown to Rathangan (all open, one rough stretch approx 1.3km needs care on a road bike) 14km, Rathangan to Monasterevin (only 3km with new surface, the next 3km closed for the construction you see above, the rest unimproved grass track and some road) 10km

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

I was going to say 8 and a half miles, and 6 miles respectively, but the above also covers it 😀

As far as I know, Hazelhatch to Sallins is due to be completed July this year.

Robertstown to Rathangan is done, and Rathangan to Monasterevin is expected in Spring (I think)

Monasterevin to Vicarstown is already complete.

No idea what the story is once you cross the border into Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Wow loads of work done. So if I’m reading your post right that would mean there is still work to be done from Sallins to Robertstown? Is that in the pipeline or is there work already ongoing

Lucan to Hazelhatch is definitely going ahead this year, they actually have it closed off at the moment for investigation work.

Still a couple of sections between Monasterevin and Vicarstown to finish, work ongoing between Courtwood Bridge and Vicarstown (3km immediatly north of Vicarstown), no works as yet between the motorway bridge and Monasterevin, though a section of this is public road.

Vicarstown to Milltown Bridge is done, a couple of KM to do then into Athy

• Advertisement

No sign of any works between Sallins and Robertstown

On the mainline Grand Canal, works are mostly complete west of Edenderry to Tullamore, except a short stretch the Edenderry side of Daingean, I'd imagine that won't take long. I'm not sure if Offaly will continue on to the Kildare border near Ticknevin.

Oh, I didn't realise. I thought it was all done

There was an issue with access I believe, so they had to work out of order till it was sorted, I understand progress is good on the stretch from Vicarstown north. August 22 was the date being spoken about locally for the surfacing works to be complete, not sure if that's still good but the weather has been favourable so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thanks for that, don't see it mentioned anywhere but practically all of the route from Dangain heading west to the Turrough Wetlands west of Pollagh are done as much as they will be done. Some of it is gated Greenway, others are shared property access road with plenty of signage. There's also a link road done from the current end of the canal Greenway to the most northern section of Lough Boora recreation Park. The road was always there, its just been repaved to Greenway standard. Handy car parks in the area as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Grangecastle to Hazelhatch is badly in need of getting done

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Cycled west from Pollagh to Shannon Harbour over the xmas. Doable with a mountain/hybrid bike. Some short wet sections past Ferbane. Looking forward to cycling the full length of the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I have to admit I’m torn when it comes to this resurfacing. I did the Grand Canal/Barrow Navigation last year, and it was really lovely to essentially be cycling across a field most of the way, surrounded by unspoilt nature. On the other hand, it was hard going, and this does open it up to more people on different kinds of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

First time cycle around Daingean on the canal yesterday. Daingean to Tullamore and back, and then to Edenderry and back. 68km in total. The surface was excellent, tarmac in places and fine gravel in others. Mostly segregated from traffic, I thought some of the gates were quite tight. A great facility for families, or those looking to avoid traffic. I noticed a number of car parks to access the route if required, especially around Edenderry. I parked in Daingean right at the canal.

So Edenderry to Tullamore is surfaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

Yes, Edenderry to Tullamore completed about a month ago.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Even the Daingean Golf club to the next bridge to the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

Yes, checked that section east of Daingean today on my road bike , all done ,nice surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jack842

Anyone know if the Hazelhatch to lucan section of the canal is complete yet? or even started?

Waterways Ireland just says it's under contruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Nothing obvious at the Lucan end anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think they've turned a sod on the section at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

Is the Canal still really dangerous by Clondalkin? Heard some awful stories of attacks couple of years back

I have to cycle out towards Casement at few days the next few weeks and obviously want to avoid the N7.

I have a nice bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Kids are off for Summer holidays so there will probably be some shenanigans. Haven't heard of any serious trouble in recent months. I've been down the canal from Lucan to Kylemore several times in the last few months and there was next to no shady characters, at least between 10-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

I walked it about a month ago and there is no sign of construction at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've been cycling it between 8am-9am and 5-6pm between Parkwest and Lucan for the last few months and the bad element is mostly missing. In fact, it's much better than pre covid whatever happened to them! I've only seen one scooter and a couple of horses but no issues since March. From Parkwest to Lucan there are more people around now on ebikes and eclectric scooters that weren't there before which might have something to do with it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The drug house is closed up also which probably makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Good to hear. I will give it a shot on the morning commute next week then. still dubious of the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Cycled from Athy to Milford on the Grand Canal/Barrow Way. 27km of mainly grassy towpath. I was on a 90s Mountain bike with 26x1.95 tyres. Surface was okay, some parts a little rough. Nice spin and looking forward to doing more of the Barrow Way.

Advertisement