Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Back when I ordered there was a basic City spec available but they discontinued this, probably because they want people to spend more money. Life was the second spec up and I decided not to go for it as I couldn’t get 20” alloy wheels. They have since changed this. The Life spec is perfect. You are missing a few bits like the upgraded front and tail lights and keyless entry, but there isn’t a huge jump between it and the Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s keyless entry?

i’m waiting on the City. It has Keyless Start without SAFELOCK but also lists Without locking and starting systems

edit: just looked it up, don’t want it as I keep the door in the hall close to the car. So prefer to lock it by pressing a button as opposed to leaving it open as the key is close.

You're right. My wife likes keyless entry on our current car so this was one of the deciding factors when choosing the Business version. We will be missing an automatic tailgate, panoramic sunroof and three zone climate control. All standard on our Tiguan Rline and the ID4 is nearly 14 grand more expensive. Madness.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Day 1 in the rental.

No preheating. Wasted 5 minutes defogging the car, and frozen hands while driving (no heated steering wheel).

Kids complaining it was too loud (fan and noise). 3 year old said it's wobbly (vibrations). She even said "this car isn't very good" and that she "wants our fancy car back". She's damn right.

So underpowered it's almost dangerous at roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did VW collect your ID4 and give you a loaner?

• Advertisement

AA collected it (door was opening while driving so it became a safety issue). So AA+VW have a deal I think where AA will supply me with a loaner through Enterprise, paid for by VW. They had zero options for me though, so i'm in a no frills 7 seater caddy. I'd say if I went straight to VW with the car they'd of had nothing for me either, and i'd be stuck then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

literally a converted van, but hey better than nothing (barely!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Did they charge you anything for insurance?

Hopefully the new latch won't take too long to get if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Any of you guys get a communication fault, I cant go online for the last 2 days. I cant do a factory reset either as it tell me i need to go offline, but its already offline.

• Advertisement

Well if my 3 year old can recognise that it's crap, it must be.

Nothing about insurance. My own insurance covers it.

Enterprise tried a few times to get me to pay €15 a day to remove the €800 excess on the car. It'll be sitting in the drive and tipping to creche and back, so I passed.

Waiting on an update from VW today, or tomorrow. It'll just be a diagnostic update to say we need to get a new latch/loom/relay or something. Then i'm sure i'll have to wait x days/weeks for that to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has anyone noticed a creaking sound coming from the front when applying the brakes and coming to a halt slightly abrupt?

Yup. From day 1. Never thought much of it.

Got a T-Roc yesterday to replace the Caddy. Much better machine, but miles off the ID.4 Cramped enough inside, and whatever about people not liking touch screens or minimalistic physical buttons, this t-roc is a sea of buttons. Must be about 10 on the right arm of the steering wheel. Manual gearbox too. Never know I had it so good in the ID.4.

I've found I was initially over sensitive to all the sounds the car made (you can hear everything if coming from an ICE), and because it was a newly introduced model.

After a while I stopped worrying about it, 10 months/15k km later it doesn't enter my head and I just get on with it.

Anyone else waiting on a car seeing if they can spot it in the video?😂

Gonna have to get settled into the T-Roc. New door handle has been ordered, but from factory. Looking at maybe 2 weeks to get it here.

Stupidly though, VW have charged my car to 100% battery just as it's to be parked up for 2 weeks. Idiots. Pretty sure it's still plugged in too, so I can't even use air conditioning to drain the battery a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Is that Forge Hill? I had the opposite - asked them (repeatedly) to charge it when it was in a couple of times for jobs and they never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah jaysis, I don't login to boards for a few weeks and it's all going wrong 😨

Tell the garage if they want to leave it plugged in then they can cover the depreciation from the battery degradation over the next few weeks

Also, if you set the charge limiter via the app, would that let you drain down the battery using the air con? I'm guessing it won't take power from the mains if the soc is higher than the limit but I've never tested it

At least after driving the sadness mobile for a few weeks the ID.4 will feel so much nicer to drive

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Had a bit of a nerve wracking drive home last weekend, the centre screen went on strike and wouldn't boot up.

Tried holding down the power button for the screen, turning the car off and on using the power button on the steering column, and getting out but no joy

Fixed itself after we got home and everyone was out of the car for a few mins. I reckon that if we'd all gotten out it would have reset the car and fixed it, but we didn't want to get out in the middle of Dublin with the temperature dropping

Does anyone know any way to power cycle the car without getting out? Maybe holding down the power switch on the steering column would do it?

Looks like I'm still plugged in. Possibly had it set to 100% myself since we did a good spin in it the weekend before. Why they plugged it in I don't know. Looks like I'm still plugged in too - the app says target charge level reached. Think it only says that when it's plugged in. I've it set back to 80% but I think it'll always preheat off the mains if it can.

Seems I can't keep telling the car to heat up without turning it on every now and again. Cheers VW

At least you can connect to yours, mine has lost its internet connection again 😡

I should be all over VW to get that fixed but I'm not bothered dealing with the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭amargar

What are the general thoughts on the car from people who have been driving for a while? We are thinking about gettingnit but saw some people with issues here

Great car overall. Lovely to drive. Great range. Enough power. Great room for all passengers. Great sized boot.

Storage in the cabin isn't brilliant - glove box is half size on RHD due to the fuse box. Some spaces are underutilized. No convenient USB for a dash cam.

Software is crap in a few places, but promises of making it better. They will materialise, but some bugs have been around since the beginning of the id series in late 2020.

Charging speeds can be good, but the Koreans are making them look a little slow already. Talk of these charging speeds increasing with software updates but again, nothing dramatic.

Some issues I've heard of are:

Rear camera issues with a lack of image. Also poor night time image in dark locations.

Connectivity issues with the app.

My car door not opening, and then opening randomly while driving (handle being replaced by VW).

Random lights on the dash saying X y or z isn't working. They either clear on their own or clear after stopping and starting the car. Software updates might help these.

Little annoyances like the internal lights not turning on when doors open, after the car has been unlocked for a while.

Probably sounds like a lot of things, but all cars have issues if you're paying attention to them enough, and I do keep myself pretty aware of general id4 stuff.

If I were buying now, I'd probably be looking at the EV6, but for what I paid for the ID4 1st edition in very happy with it. When you're spending 50k on a car today there's probably better options. If a good spec ID4 was still ~43k it'd be a good choice, but they ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭amargar

Ev6 is more or less at the same cost, why would you choose it over the id4?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Bigger boot, higher up off the ground, 3 isofix(one in the front passenger seat). Some people like/need that.

Edit: sorry thought you meant why would you choose the iD4 over the EV6.

• Advertisement

I'm sure most things can and will change but overall I agree with Black_Knight.

The ID.4 is extremely comfortable to drive, especially over long distances, and I haven't had any complaints from the kids in the back seat. The 77kW battery makes a big difference on the longer trips, most of the time I can get to my destination without stopping and can charge on arrival with the granny cable if needed. The charging speed is ok but will hopefully increase this year. Unless you're currently using Ionity the faster speeds the Korean cars have don't make much difference right now so it's more about future proofing, more eCars hubs would justify it but you'll be waiting a long time to see that happening if past experience is an indicator of things. The ID.4 boot is slightly bigger then the Ioniq5/EV6, no frunk so up to you if you'd use one.

VW software is basic enough compared to some other manufacturers, but it wouldn't put me off considering a VW car. Having had a Gen 1 and now a Gen 2 Leaf it's amazing how quickly software dates and looks poor compared to the latest, newer versions. For me it does what I want it to do, so I'm happy to deal with the quirks. No car is perfect in this respect so you need to do your own homework to see what's right for you. The ID.3 was released in September 2020 with an early/buggy version of the software, this has since been updated twice to version 2.3 which still has its own issues, and 3.0 expected in 2022 sometime. If you read any of the Hyundai/Kia forums you'll probably find people having issues with their cars (you only ever hear of the problems), same for every manufacturer. As the ID.3/ID.4 has been around for a bit longer there's more of a history to trawl though.

The app is very basic, but it does start/stop charging when I ask it to, and I haven't had any problems with pre-heating the cabin since day 1 so again am happy enough with it. The newer features hinted at by VW are all part of 3.0 so we won't see them until later in the year (hopefully).

ID.4 has wireless CarPlay/Android Auto that works, Hyundai/Kia don't at the moment. Sounds stupid to mention this, but it's one of the things VW did that makes a difference to me and when you get used to it you wonder why it isn't in every car.

The next service announcement from VW will make more/most of the ECUs OTA capable. AFAIK Hyundai/Kia can't do this at the moment, so I presume they will have to do something similar in 22 or 23 (am open to correction here).

I've driven 15km since March last year, and for the price I paid (1st edition) I'm glad I made the decision. I'll see what's around in 2 years time and make a decision on what to change to, or even hold onto it for a while longer.

Advertisement