Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The media and male violence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

I think you only have to look at the example of Jill Meagher's husband to see what a ridiculous hypothetical this is. In any case I'm sure they have enough to be dealing with without deciding to take a general criticism of society personally.

I doubt it. Just as this barbarity will fade into the background and be used as a reference in the future. There's been a variety of attacks/murders over the last decade, and none have stayed relevant after a few weeks or months. The supporters of these influencers will be the only ones who will care, with the remainder forgetting as something else comes along to grab their attention. People's attention spans are short.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jackoflynn

One of the readings at the funeral Mass was in reference to violence against women and the hope that it would come to an end.

The nonsense I was talking about was men taking responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I don't consider myself to have thin skin but maybe your definition to that is different to my own definition.

I won't condone anyone for being a d1ckhead but I don't blame men for speaking up, especially when you have people like Fergus Finlay saying 'all men should be ashamed' etc. etc.

And I don't agree with you saying there's a time and place for some views. If views are valid now, they were still valid last week.

Again, I'm not saying be a d1ckhead, but there's no need for men to shut the fcuk up if they feel they are being attacked in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

I'm from the UK. When we have a terrorist attack etc we're told not to judge a community by the actions of a few individuals. However a women gets killed and men are meant to feel collective guilt?

For what it's worth, I think a man that attacks women is as likely to attack other men. I'd be happy with violent men getting locked up....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭zv2

I don't see this thread as anti female. It is largely an attempt to correct the imbalance in the way things are being portrayed and people have the right to object if they are being demonized or blamed in the wrong. It is just plain wrong for Fergus Finlay to say 'all men' and not be called out about it. All man are not against women but many men are fed up with being demonized and fed up with the shallow thinking around this. They are fed up with how men are made to look like morons in tv ads, fed up with how films portray 'assertive' women kicking men in the face, fed up with being called misogynists just because we got the job and the woman didn't, fed up with how RTE drags in some twenty-something-year-old girl to tell how bad men are because she saw someone cat calling, etc etc etc.

Some years ago RTE did a thing on child abuse and they showed an image of a man and a young girl and the caption was "Every man is a potential abuser" or words to that effect. Same with this nonsense this past week. That's what happens when people think an NUJ card makes them a professor of sociology.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, I strongly disagree with this. There are a large number of abusers who'll hit women and children behind closed doors but sh1t themselves if confronted by another man. That's not to say it's universal that all abusers are cowards, but I think it's very wrong to say that a violent man is generally violent against everyone. We know that in general bullies tend to pick on victims that don't/can't fight back. That's as true for domestic abuse as it is for kids pushing each other around in school.

I've said it before on this, but the whole discussion is allowed to be framed by simplistic and extremist viewpoints. The notion that all men should be ashamed, or that "men" as a collective have an obligation to "do something" is obviously nonsense. In an amusing self-own I saw a traveller's rights campaigner say something like, "Everyone who is so quick to blame all travellers for the actions of a few are very quick to say, 'Not all men'". She's right, but not for the reason she thinks - it is incorrect to lay blame or responsibility at the feet of men for the same reason it is incorrect to do so for travellers.

I do see the point of view of those who would challenge men to "fix" the problem. There is a stereotype portrayed of men that when they're in a male-only group spend their time being lairy, oy-oy, making comments about women, shouting and whistling. When in reality this is a tiny subset of men. But when even if it's 1%, that's enough for it to be a common occurrence for all women. Which would lead woman to believe that it's a common thing for men to do - and common for other men to ignore.

The reason there is so much frustration coming from men when this discussion gets framed as, "Men need to solve the male violence problem", is because "men" cannot do anything. The majority of men do not even see or hear the experiences of women. If some men shout things at random women or engage in violence and domestic abuse, they're not men that we know. They're not men that we ever talk to or otherwise interact with. Men aren't "ignoring" the problem; we literally cannot see it.

Of course, this leads to a secondary problem; women are incredulous that men don't see it (because they see it all the time), and refuse to believe it. Men, not seeing a problem, also tend to be skeptical. Ego makes it hard to believe that something so serious could be happening without your knowledge.

There is one fact though that cannot be denied; violence is a mostly male problem. The number of violent female offenders is incredibly low by comparison. Therefore if we want to tackle violence, we need to focus our efforts on men and male violence. Handing out advice to people on "how to be safe" is whitewashing away the larger problem.

It's an appropriate response. It wasn't intended as a joke, and fits with the manner of that posters contributions to the thread so far.

As I have said earlier in the thread, I'd like to see a balanced approach to dealing with the issue of violence in Ireland, including male violence. Taking a look at the website provides that... considering how few resources/supports are there for men, and also considering what might influence men to be violent. We need to understand society properly... not simply focus on women's issues.

Yeah I think we all get your general stance by now - but it's posts like the one above that say a lot more about you than anything else.

I can guarantee that rehome has actually donated to Womensaid and I can guarantee that if you weren't trying to score points on the internet that you wouldn't have the slightest interest in Mensaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bit of truth in that, I was at a plaza stop last Friday with my two kids and a bunch of teenager boys were acting like a pack of delinquents , swearing in front of young families ,standing around making it difficult for other customers to pass

After a while they went outside and about three or four teenage girls showed up and vyed for the guys attention

Sexism and psychopathology are not the same thing. No amount of calling out sexism will change the serial killer's mind. He doesn't care a jot about what men, women or anyone else thinks or how they behave. He is a lone basket case and societal norms have nothing to do with his pathology or how he thinks about anything. If they did he would not behave as he does.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

It's not really about serial killers, though. Do you not understand that? A very small proportion of rapes and sexual assault are commited by 'serial killers'.

When I was young, I was bullied relentlessly. I have a shaking disorder which is very obvious to most people, and 'children' can be cruel. On top of that, my parents were both teachers in the schools I attended, which added an extra dimension to being picked on. And lastly, I'm bisexual, and have been since my early teens. This being before homosexuality gained any acceptance in Irish society, and I'm sure you remember the way that young boys/men acted out towards homosexuality. The fear that they displayed, like it was a disease that could be passed on, and the violence (both verbal and physical) that they felt obliged to express. So.. I have a lot of experience with both male violence, but also the way society pushes people to the outside. And while males tended to focus on physical reactions, females turned to emotional abuse.

Oh.. and bullies are not all cowards. Many of them feed off their sense of superiority (or inferiority), and will seek out opponents who offer a challenge. I've known a lot of bullies over the years, and while I wasn't much of a challenge to them (physically), some of their other targets were. I've known many bullies who would have both tendencies of sadism and masochism, feeding on those emotions when they lashed out at others. They don't fit the narrow description you provided above.

As such, I have always been careful with my friends and those I spend my time with. It took me a long time to understand that we could choose who we spend our time with, and i made mistakes with people, having them stop being friends once they realised that I was bisexual, or dealing with their insulting behavior when they found my shakes 'funny'. But over time, I've found enough nice people to be my friends, and i've learned to manage how strangers behave around me.

The point is that I don't have any "lads" as friends. I don't have any patience with the guys who need to push their authority on to others. I don't have aggressive friends. We don't get drunk and butt heads, or go looking for trouble. I know these kinds of guys (and women too) are out there, as I've encountered many of them over the last 4 decades, but they're not part of my life. Although, simply living in society, means that I'm exposed to them, and I've learned to avoid particular bars/clubs, or whatever, because I know that I'm more likely to meet such guys there..

I'm aware of many of the problems that women face in society. There's no shortage of media reports, opinion pieces, movies, etc to inform us of those trouble. Besides, my own experiences dealing with society, have left me sensitive to seeing the problems that exist within society.. how we interact with each other. The idea that men are unaware of what women have to experience in society is ridiculous. Oh, I'm sure that many men don't think about it much, because they're dealing with their own problems, but the knowledge of what happens is there.

I have no control over how other men behave. If I had I would have stopped their assaults on me a long time ago. I have no control over Irish society either, otherwise I would have made people less likely to 'joke' about my shakes. I'm incredibly happy that society has started to drop its biases against homosexuals... but I'm also aware that very little of that happened due to my own influence. I attended the pride events, was active in LGB clubs while in college and afterwards, but I don't think that what I, personally, did had much of an impact on changing things.

Apparently, men need to do more about violence in Ireland. I've asked on other threads, what exactly we're supposed to do.. and I've only gotten vague suggestions, or suggestions that ignore the practicalities of the situation. We should intervene if we see a woman in danger. Grand. Except, that most men are physically stronger than me, and every fight has the potential for serious injury.. never mind, the high risk of being arrested by the police. And that's that's without the fair chance, that the victim protects her aggressor... turning on her would-be savior (which I have seen happen a few times previously). The risks to the person intervening are so high. We should encourage other men not to be violent, but how does that work? A man telling an aggressive man not to be violent, is likely to encourage actual violence. That's a simple reality. We need to stop domestic abuse? err... how?

And then there's all these demands for more legislation to protect women, but all the proposed ideas seem to apply to all men.. there's little expectation of dealing with the people who actually engage in violence. Rather, the idea is that by targeting all men, as a collective group, this is somehow going to change things? How does that work? And why should I, as someone who has never sought to be violent, and doesn't tolerate violence in my own friends, be treated as if I'm a violent person? How is that fair...? or even practical? Because TBH I worry that such measures will simply encourage frustration, and increase actual violence.

Now.. personally, I do think we need to consider the place of men in society, but we also need to consider the place of women in society. Most of people's initial development happens in their childhood and teenage period, where they develop the foundations for their morality, and sense of self. Mothers, typically, have a greater amount of time with their children than fathers... that's simply the way society is. There's decidedly more female teachers than male teachers, especially at primary levels, but it also extends somewhat into secondary. We should be considering what is being taught to boys, from all adults, not simply passing responsibility on to "male culture". We should be trying to establish when these boys learn to be bullies, and what influences them to be that way. I don't buy into the aspect that biology rules us, because we can manage our impulses, creating habits that curb those impulses, and introducing logical processes to help us manage our emotions. We should be teaching all young people how to manage their emotions, and provide the tools to do so.

I feel that we're not dealing with male violence properly. Its being passed off as "a male problem", without considering all the aspects that influence male development over the years. If we are serious about wanting to minimize male violence, then, we should be dealing with all those influences, which would likely require a shakeup of society for both men and women.

I find that interesting because I have not sought to make any judgments about posters (until one became abusive)... whereas you feel that you're right to do so. If you disagree with my post, engage in a discussion over it...

There was nothing to engage with. Someone posted a link to Womens Aid and you glibly responded with Mens Aid. You should just own it and admit it was childish and pathetic.

• Advertisement

I just mentioned serial killers as representative of the extreme end of the spectrum. Violent people, in general, are pathological in some way. There's something seriously wrong with them. Their behaviors are outside the normal run of things.

"Someone"? A poster who came on to the thread spouting bile and being abusive to other posters. And then, she posts a link on it's own without any comments attached?

Seemed an adequate response to me. You don't agree.. fine. Although consider that I simply posted the link in response, and you felt the need to pass judgment on my doing so (no judgment over that other poster). I'd say that you're the one being childish.

But I'll leave it at that, otherwise this would become truly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

What happened was terrible regardless of gender. But as has been pointed out the man was murdered a few days before and nothing was said about it. If someone was to try and highlight it they would be told either it had nothing to do with it or it didn;t matter because it was done by another man.

On social media etc there's been all these ''stories''. I'm sure some are true but would be pretty sure many aren't. Again if anyone does anything but agree they're shot down.

There are people out these who are actually in way glad things like this happen as if keeps them in the media. Hazel Chu for example was straight in. The same Hazel Chu who has made false claims about actions of men in the past and then just pretend it didn't happen. Vicky Phelan, whatever your view on her, was in straight away to claim she's had slimier things happen to her. Again maybe it did or maybe it didn't but she'll never miss an opportunity to give a view on anything.

Violence is a complex thing and stems largely from frustration and fear and lack of creativity in people's lives. When I was in my 20s I bought into this female victim thing (and some women really are victims) but in my late 20s, early 30s, I began to experience the most appalling violence from a number of women (marital violence+) and that forced me to reassess my take on this whole gender thing. After the destruction of my marriage/family life, I spent years obsessively thinking about this whole gender issue, trying to understand it, because I was becoming damaged in my mind over what had happened. Anyhow, I unwarped myself and I'm fine now, honestly.

But this past week has opened up old wounds and if I seem like one of the angrier posters in this thread, you'll understand why.

I have had maybe 30 or more jobs, working in intense environments and the workplace is a good place to study human behavior. In my experience most people, men and women, are decent people and are good company, but there is almost invariably a small percentage of people, in the workplace, who are violent in one way or another. These people are different; they don't think in the same way as normal folk. They are in some way sociopathic and I don't believe society will ever divest itself of them. Like the poor, they will always be with us.

We're questioning whether Vicky Phelan is lying now.

Can you imagine the reaction if I questioned whether someone in this thread was 'making up' something related to the other side of the coin.

You can make all the reasoned arguments in the world but it's the little asides like this that show where people's agenda really lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Astartes

Slugs, snails and puppy dog tails. That's what little boys are made of..

Thanks for the post. I agree with you. We need to take into consideration the interactions that people have with each other, and take them into account when deciding how to help the development of people. Most men can point to a series of negative experiences that they've had with other men, or with the women in their lives. That should be considered when deciding how to reduce violence in society. What could be changed if we educated people differently? Could we teach people to be more careful in hurting others, due to how that might change them, and so make them into bullies, aggressive, violent, abusive, etc? Typically, when research is performed in relation to those who are abusive, they themselves were abused in some manner first. If we want to reduce violence, then shouldn't we be considering the range of abuse these people experience?

That's my stance on all of this. I find the current approach of blaming men to be too simplistic, and impractical. To fix a problem properly, you need to look at all the component parts individually. Looking only at some parts, might stop the problem for a while or to a limited extent, but likely the problem will reoccur again later, worse that before. Deal with the whole, and the problem can completely resolved... and while there will always be outliers who refuse to accept behavior norms, we can perhaps limit it to such an extent that safety for most is not a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Look at Caroline Flack, lauded in the media by women when it comes to online abuse, yet she smacked her boyfriend over the head with a lamp when he was asleep, she was a man beater, but hey it's ok because she topped herself before she had to face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

So what you're saying is we just have to take what her and others say as fact all the time?

• Advertisement

I'm really puzzled as to what you think she might be lying about, or even mildly exaggerating.

Advertisement