Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No problem. It's a piece from the Ban Bloodsports page on FB....the full post is there in detail.

I wonder how many of the other Greyhounds listed as rehomed as pets on cosy sofas are shipped off like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Is there a particular reason why we are finding this business? It doesn’t seem to be anything other than a very dated concept of entertainment and a big injection of cash to the gambling industry.

Have you got actual proof that 5,987 greyhounds were killed? When did this happen?

So, 2 greyhounds are exported to a country with unknown animal welfare accountability. Hopefully those responsible for the sale will be brought to book by the Irish Coursing Club, who are a separate body to the Greyhound Racing Ireland body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because the politicians voting to fund it are involved in it. Even worse is the Irish Coursing Club, that's totally a good old boy event built around animal abuse that hides its activities.

There were some numbers in a report from the Bord na gCon after the documentary was aired that have never been audited by a third party (the specific claim of how much revenue it puts into the economy.)

Most of the Western world has banned greyhound racing, it's just a gift to the gambling industry. In fact I think a fair part of the wagering comes in from overseas bettors nowadays.

But, Maryanne84 will arise soon to defend the sanctity of greyhound racing and how its the poor small-time breeder we're going to ruin, where the problems are glaring and behaviors by breeders unchanged since the documentary, they're still (occasionally) getting into trouble with the law. Now that society is reopening, they be back to their dodgy deeds right quick.

I assume that you read the complete linked article?

These are two we know about. How many more do we not know about? The data is flawed.

The concerning bit is the inaccurate reporting. Both dogs are reported in Ireland one on Greyhound Racing Ireland Website and the second one as a pet when they are actually in Pakistan.

Greyhound Racing Ireland data is incorrect - so how can you say that there are no greyhounds unaccounted for - unless it does not matter if they are accounted for incorrectly. I doubt it is just two either, these are two they have been caught out for. Also, not wanting to release the report shows they know well they were in the wrong and there is a huge difference between being a pet in Ireland and being used for coursing in Pakistan. That does not tie in with the narrative though.

If you read the full link, you’d get a bit of understanding, if you want to. It costs a pretty penny to transport a greyhound to Pakistan. They’re hardly going to abuse the dog after payout thousands of Euro. Someone made a computer input error, leading to the dog being listed as rehomed rather than exported, this has now been rectified.

I get that you don’t approve of greyhound racing, but the vast majority of us care for our animals to the best of our ability. As in all walks of life, there are a small number of bad eggs. Please don’t paint us all with the one brush.

I dont doubt for one minute that there are many many people who care for their dogs as part of their home and for many whom it is a past time. And they are being hurt by this. Like anything else, once big money comes in, the stakes get high and corners are cut. Too many bad apples. There are too many concerning stories where greyhounds end up places like Pakistan, China, Spain and places where there are questionable animal welfare practices. The challenge for me, is that the Powers that be know, and want to cover up any wrongdoing as is the case here when they tried to stop the report being published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's hard not to paint you all with the same brush when you all continue to support racing. The only good Greyhound owner is one that openly speaks out, criticises the industry & demands the best care for EVERY Greyhound - not just the one's in their care.

The sale of greyhounds to China is banned. Unfortunately, sales to places like Spain and Pakistan are not! When a greyhound is put up for sale at a public auction, the seller doesn’t have much say in who buys it. As pointed out already, the cost of getting a greyhound, to Pakistan, especially, is pretty steep, around €2,000, so to think that they would spend that money and not look after the animal doesn’t make sense.

Once the dog does not "perform" for them, they will cut their losses, or try to recoup some of their outlay in whatever way they can with as little regard for the dog as possible. Or the dog that is sent to Pakistan or Spain ends up in China as has happened to many dogs.

There's too many loopholes still in this industry, no matter how many ads they put on the radio about how brilliant they are at contributing to some fund. When you see cover ups and not wanting to release reports, then you know there is still way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

How would GRI know anything about coursing dogs and where they end up?

The ignorance is astounding.

There are organisations active on social media, whose only aim is to end greyhound racing. They will use any tactics to further their aim, including the infamous dying hare story if a few years back, not realising that the cable they were using to jerk the “dying” hare was visible in the video! Some gullible people will believe all their yarns rather than research for themselves.

I have seen the video, its a pity the two Swedish students were not brought to justice.

These people talk about greyhounds being used to make money but I only know of one of my friends who comes close to making money and he deserves every penny he gets for the effort he puts in, I lose every year but I get more enjoyment when they run well or win a race than can be appreciated by those not involved in greyhounds.

These very same people would lie about greyhounds being euthanised in pounds when the truth is that it is in single figures and more often than not is because of someone dying leaving dogs behind them, if we are not careful they will blame people for dying while owning greyhounds.

In case you haven't seen it, here's the RTE documentary that started this thread in 2019. The guy who brought his dog to the knackery, had it shot in the head and waited for the dog to die so he could reclaim the collar really shows you the greyhound industry in Ireland.

RTÉ Player | RTÉ Investigates: Greyhounds Running For Their Lives

For discussion of the sordid history of the greyhound industry subsidy, try this: https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-30934069.html

And both of those were written/produced by people who had no agenda? Try researching for yourself and make up your own mind, not just regurgitate others prejudices.

If GRI have a database saying that a Greyhound is Irish owned, when its owned by a fella in Pakistan, then the data is corrupt. Nothing ignorant in calling that out.

Might as well delete the database if its nonsense.

Oh I saw that documentary that took artistic licence to a new level, there are very few in the greyhound industry that would not admit there is a very small minority of bad apples in the sport which is the same as all other sports in reality.

Thankfully the Government have laws now which will allow GRI to regulate the sport without two hands tied behind their backs,

• Advertisement

As already pointed out, a staff member in the Irish Coursing Club used the wrong code, leaving the dog as retired instead of Exported. A simple case of human error when using a new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

What was previously stopping them from enacting rules to stop abusive trainers from being able to continue competing? Genuine question because I'd have thought they could have done that without needing laws

Feel free to point out an article that refutes the video. Nothing from boards, but independent 3rd party investigation into IGB/Bord na Gcon and the ICC would be a good start.

Greyhound racing in Ireland has had plenty of time and as pointed out .25 billion euro in subsidies over the years, and all that's happened is some tracks have closed. Dogs still die on the track unnecessarily.

I'd hoped Covid would've been the death-knell for it but unfortunately the government, quietly, raised the subsidy and the offshore betting on Irish greyhounds has kept it afloat. Coursing, of course, remains shrouded in secrecy and mystery by its proponents, which tells you how clean that sport isn't.

The rule of law was stopping them, they are a semi state and have to abide by the laws of the land.

They canvassed for years to get a change in the law, they got it in the last couple of years, there is an extremely low level of drug cheats with greyhounds, the positives from total tests are minuscule and most positives are for anti inflammatories, the more serious positives are dealt with severely since the change in law.

Theres a big difference between being a pet in Tipperary and sold to Pakistan.

The other dog is also registered as owned in Ireland and yet the owner is in Pakistan.

My point being, the data does not seem to be very robust and is concerning.

It undermines your point that every dog is accounted for, accounted for yes, but the key word should be correctly accounted for.

Why do you think they would not release the report under Freedom of Information and had to be pulled up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You're going to have to explain a bit better than that because one of the primary reasons for founding BnaG was the regulation of the greyhound industry. From the 1958 Act:

(2) Regulations under this section may, in particular, make provision for—

(a) prohibiting persons from training greyhounds for reward save under and in accordance with licences granted by the Board at its discretion,

(b) the making by the Board of charges in respect of the grant, retention or renewal of licences,

(c) the attachment of conditions to licences,

(d) the suspension and revocation of such licences,

As well as being able to fine them up to 50 pounds 😁

I'm not going to claim to be a legal or semi-state expert, but it sounds like they have always had the discretion to revoke licenses if needs be. What was stopping them from dictating what those reasons were and what needs to be done to get a license renewed?

Maybe their Agenda was animal welfare and ending of the barbaric treatment of them here in Ireland. No problem with that Agenda, if Im honest. 100% suppport it in fact.

“Why do you think they would not release the report under Freedom of Information and had to be pulled up on it?”

Because they realised that the report was factually incorrect in that dogs sold (to Uk mainly), breeding greyhounds, coursing greyhounds and those kept as pets were not allowed for and were considered missing or even dead.

Could you give us honest accounts of the barbaric treatment of greyhounds here in Ireland you are on about?

• Advertisement

The documentary did plenty of that. Are you looking for a new one? Can you give us an honest accounting of positive benefits to Ireland from a 20 million annual euro subsidy versus spending that money on, say, hospital beds?

Advertisement