Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

On the high line, it was fine during the first half. It was fine because the attack & midfield were pressing the Palace defenders all over. They didn't have time to hit long balls in over the top or down the channels. They were being pressed so were hitting the ball out of danger for throw ins or aimlessly punting it up the pitch and VVD / Matip could head it away.

When the energy levels dropped (which is understandable after playing the same team Thursday night), the press was not as prevalent, so the Palace defenders had more time to pick out these passes.

The high line works when there is an effective press up the pitch. It helps create more effective turnovers and squeeze the pitch. Recycling possession results in goals scored too.

Also, Liverpool have caught the opposition offside more than any other club this season. Almost double. So there is probably that element to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why do we need to be pressed so high up when we are 2 nil up early? This has happened so many times this season and the reason we won't win the league. We have lost twice but stupid draws from winning positions have been too frequent, only for Ali yesterday we'd of lost or drawn that.

Questions are pointed at the midfield quality but I think Klopp needs to drop the line back 10 yards when we are in these positions early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The two first half chance where bad passes under no pressure nothing to do with the press,

Allison save form the back hell again nothing to do with the press Ox & Trent both ball watching when the original cross was made,

For there goal was our line was not strangely high we where 3 or 4 yards into our own half, Matip won the header it fell to Jeffrey schlupp inside his own half

We still had the whole back four & Fab between him and the goal, Hendo was caught to far inside so as the play progressed Fab came over to cover for him (leaving Mateta) , We at this stage where still fine the back 4 where retreating & Fab came to confront Schulpp

The problems started because of MATIP out of no where he decided to put the breaks on when he should have kept retreaitng and VVD was caught ball watching & completely missed Mateta's run behind him so he reacted to Matip & seeing Edouard and also put the breaks on ,

The line wasn't the problem the two CB being lazy in the mind was the issues, Matip started the change of events & VVD wasn't turned on enough to notice the run behind him ,

There last chance was really the only one where the high line was the issues , when there was no pressure at all on the CB who passed it and Robbo went a bit asleep ,

I can't recall the start of Ox's goal but for the peno we held a high line Taki put there left back under pressure who tried the long ball but Trent cut it out and fired a first time ball to Jota,

So right there we saw the benefit of the high line,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We have actually giving away 2 goal leads on 4 occasions in all competitions this season and yesterday should have been the 5th! That is a crazy number and obviously it is completely unsustainable!! I have pointed out on a few occasion here that VVD is no where near what he was 2/3 seasons ago and its going to have to be address because one of these days a team will take advantage of all these chances we give up and it will be like the Villa game all over again...

Midfield is also a huge issue, for whatever reason Henderson is miles off the pace the this year and he is getting caught out time and time again. You can actually see the opposition kick into life as soon as the midfield press from Hendo has been beaten as they know there is an opportunity coming. Its like teams are targeting his area. Jones also gets a lot of free passes, he can be decent when we are in control and going forward but as soon as the tables has been turned on us he is almost invisible. Teams by-pass him at ease and very rarely do we see him put in a tackle.

I actually don't know how we address it because Klopp's whole system is based of this highline and even dropping back another 10 yards effects what we do up front. We seen it last season when we eventually did settle on Phillips/Williams partnership and played a little deeper. We did get wins to our credit but we got very lucky on some of those occasion and we often looked blunt at the other end.

it seems mad to have such an negative reaction to a win but its just frustration as we have seen that performance too many times this season and we got lucky this time. We never seem to make any effort to address the issues and that is the most frustration part. You can nearly predict how a Liverpool game is going to play out before its happens these days!

I thought their criticism was fair enough as it was a terrible decision. I don't like Jenas but in fairness to him he had the same reaction after the Spurs game where he couldn't believe Kane didn't see red or Jota not getting a peno in that game. So I cant really accuse him of bias and to be fair that decision yesterday was one of the worst interventions from VAR since it came in. The only thing we can take from it is we were 2-1 up and could have seen out the game anyway.

I was thought 100% not a pen but someone mentioned this morning the pen against Trent when he slide into DCL after he had already shot at out place last year & they are both the very same really,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Or Robertson's penalty when he kicked Welbeck's foot while clearing the ball.

We've had our fair share of bad decisions.

As others have said we really need to get back to game management. The year we won the league as soon as went 1-0 up we took total control of the game. This season has been a bit like Klopp's earlier time where we need 3 goals to win a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

There are a lot of negatives to take from yesterday's game, but some positives too. I thought some of our passing and general play in the opening 25 minutes was among the best of the season. Ox and Fabinho scoring in consequtive games. Another win without Salah, Mane and Keita (and Thiago, Origi and Elliot). We've made it to the international break without crisis, and gaining a couple of points on City. Win our game in hand and the gap is only six points. It's all to play for - stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Also worth pointing out that for all the talk of our leaky defense, we have the third-best defensive record in the league. We have only conceded five more goals than City in one fewer game. And we have only lost two games in 22.

• Advertisement

City's next two prem games are Brentford at home & Norwich away can't see anything other than easy victories

So its vital we beat Leicester & Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Winter break this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ah no, I always find Jenas to be insanely quick to be annoyed when things go our way.

And I've no idea how Micah is allowed to comment on anything that effects City or their rivals. He called the penalty the worst decision he'd seen this season, for instance. I find him entertaining in general, but I can't take him seriously on anything that has an impact on City.

Our game against city is a must win really... we all know that, even if we shudder to think it 😲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No Salah deal yet, FSG from a business point of view are thinking, hmm what if we sell Trent, Salah, and Mane for 320m in the summer, and bring in Haaland for the 60m it takes to get him this summer, Neco, can play right back, and Gordon can take Salah's spot.

But the fans are like, PAY Salah 500k a week, until he's worthless.

Fans saying 'pay Salah whatever he wants' should just be ignored, unless they are under 12 years of age - under 12 and you've got them give them leeway. But, I do want them to do a deal with Salah... please...

• Advertisement

Just a word on Ox also.

I, and some others, gave him an awful slating at times last season. And he deserved it, his performances were bad. But he has stepped up again this season, and in particular the last 2 or 3 months.

He seems to have now nailed down one of those starting midfield spots after starting the season poorly, and on the bench, down the pecking order behind Thiago, Elliot & Keita.

Maybe he is finally over that horrific injury he had and is back to his pre-injury form?

Maybe he is playing for a new contract as his current contract expires next summer?

Maybe he is getting a proper nights sleep now after his baby was born?!

But I am all for it, especially in this form. He has really stepped up in terms of goals while the lads are at the AFCON which have been a big help too.

With PSG losing Mbappe, I could see them offloading others older players too, like De Maria, Drazler, Neymar, Gini, and be willing to pay the 320m for this trio

Trent, 110m

Salah 160m

Mane 50m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I’m trying to block a user but it comes with saying their profile is private and I can’t see how to block them.

anyone know how to block on here?

where has Trent ever even been remotely linked with a genuine move away? stop talking absolutely nonsense.

I don't even think you could buy Trent, there isn't a fee that would make Liverpool part with him or he would leave. There isn't another player like him so you couldn't compare fees to other full backs sold.

• Advertisement

I know Kelleher is one of our ow & we all want him to do well but Klopp needs his head tested if he doesn't start Becker in the cup final ,

Yesterday is proof in the pudding the fella is just on a different level , winning trophies is so much more important that upsetting a reserve goal keeper,

Its a cup final, we should play our best but he's the cup keeper and should be rewarded as such for his performances. It will go along way towards keeping him too for another season or two and not taking a chance on another cheap keeper. If Ali was out for a stretch, I'd be confident in Kelleher.

I agree with the first part, it's professional football you come in and do your job and if you reach the final Id fully expect the strongest available 11 to start,

I don't think he makes enough good saves "YET" to be fully confident of him to stand in for Becker for a month or two,

I hope he does well but i just can't see us not needing some big saves in a final against Chelsea ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you go to edit profile you should see a list where you can change your password, profile picture etc and at the bottom of that list is your ignore list where you manually add their profile name.

I'm trying to imagine what FSG is thinking, not the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But there's not a hope in hell FSG will be thinking of selling him. Why would they? He is young and fits the profile of the club.

Salah is different as he is 29 and going into the last year of his contract, they will be weighing up the pros and cons of the new contract to him and what that means for the long run. Selling Trent is the last thing on their minds.

For European teams.

Alisson, Fabinho & Taki have international games, along with the AFOCN lads. I don't think Firmino was called up.

God chance to get a rest into some players after a tough month or so. Players lie Henderson could really do with it.

I would expect a fairly strong side out in the first game back to get rhythm back into the players again before the league games after a 2 week break.

Shame Fab could do with a break, he's so important to us.

First game back is Cardiff i would expect a strong teams its a nice game to get us back in a rhythm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

On the cup final thing Chelsea have played Kepa all the way through so assume they'll have their backup keeper playing that day too. Be harsh on Kelliher to drop him he's been very good.

As for the league having looked at their fixtures I can definitely see City games where they could drop the 7 points we need them to if we win our game in hand but looking at our fixtures I'm not so sure we can be as perfect as we need to be to capitalise! I think we realistically need City to drop at least 9 from here. GD might be interesting in May!

Also seen "if it wasn't for Alisson" mentioned regarding yesterday. That's literally his job and what we pay him to do. Yes it'd be nice not to cough up those chances but we are always going to so at least when we do he's there to sort it.

It's nearly February and we have a genuine chance of winning any of the four competitions we're in. I'll take that.

• Advertisement

True, until the summer rumours start. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it starts with Trent, but he's a Liverpool lad, and it's very different, most likely he'll be another Gerrard, yet players like Gerrard always mention the what if's the regrets of not having experienced another club, another culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

I only ever heard Gerrard say winning one cup for his home town team would mean much more than winning a league with a Chelsea or united

The comments about Alisson are odd,

People say if it wasn't for him because if any of Palace chance's went in you wouldn't blame the keeper , For example if Kelleher was in goals and didn't mange to save any of the chances you wouldn't blame him at all , Alisson makes saves our other keepers simple are not capable of making ,

To have any chance we need to go on a winning run up to and including the ethiad in April. City will not drop many points. We should have a full squad once the PL resumes so hopefully we can keep them fit and get it that run going.

Leicester H

Burnley A

Norwich H

West Ham H

Brighton A

United H

Watford H

Man City A

Win those and we are in for a hell of last 6 games in the title race.

Anyone see City last game is against Villa, imagine Gerrard denies them on the last day to hand it to Liverpool. Klopp would have to see to it he gets a PL medal finally 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Kieta's Afcon is over,1 down,2 to go

Naby Lad knocked out of the AFCON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

For what used to be a really good right back, I have to admit, I forgot he existed until you posted that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Nah I don't agree. A cup is a cup. Trust in the manager and a team bond can vanish when pulling stunts like declaring that Kelleher will play the final and squashing him like a bug at the last minute. If there's one thing we know about Klopp, it's that he's no Mourinho. He won't throw players under the bus for a chance of minor cup win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

First of all Kepa is an experienced keeper ( around 300 senior appearances), was Chelsea first choice for a couple of seasons and a world record fee for a goalkeeper(not sure if it's been broken since), gap between him and Mendy not as big as gap between Alisson and Kelleher. Kelleher is an inexperienced keeper, has played less than 20 senior matches, so comparing Chelsea playing Kepa and Liverpool playing Kelleher is not really a fair comparison, all they have in common is that they are second choice keepers, but, there is a huge chasm in experience which is hugely important for the goalkeeper position. Klopp is taking a massive risk playing Kelleher in the cup final, if we lose as a direct result of not playing Alisson that will massively affect Kelleher's confidence, also some players may resent the fact they missed out on a trophy because Klopp didn't pick his best team. It's a cup final, our best chance of silverware this season, so we should play our best team.

Regarding the league, we would need to win virtually every match to have a chance, obviously we have to beat City, but, City will not drop many more points, so it's a long shot, we're relying on other teams to do us favours, as we've seen in recent seasons, teams have rarely done us any favours by taking points off City. We should still keep going and at least keep City honest, so that if they do have a wobble at some stage we are there to capitalise on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It was Klopp's decision to make and that's all there is to it. It's not the Champion's League, it's the League Cup. Kelleher will no doubt benefit from the experience of playing in a final at this early stage of his career. I'd be more concerned with the performance level of the outfield players because that is where the game is likely to be decided.

Kepa is an awful keeper hence why they replaced him asap so experience or not he's much weaker than Mendy. I'd take Kelliher over him any day of the week and twice on cup final day. Hell even Adrian won us a cup against Chelsea with Kepa in goal. I also very much doubt anyone in that squad would be pissed if they lost due to a keeper error from a young lad, it happens, Alisson makes them too. They're a very tight group they aren't about individuals, as they always say, they win and lose together.

Fact is Jurgen has already said he's playing Kellihers, he trusts him and I've not seen anything to say that's a ludicrous idea so may as well get right behind the lad.

League is a tough ask for sure but nobody in the dressing room will be giving up on it, I won't be either. City will drop points, if it'll be enough and if we'll still be there when it happens is anyone's guess but fingers crossed we take them right to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I know it's only the league cup, but there are only a small number of opportunities to win trophies, domestically, Leicester have won more trophies than us in the last 6/7 seasons ( league title & FA cup), yet apart from 1 season, we've been better than them and in most seasons much better yet have only 1 league title and no domestic cups to show. I know we did win CL too, which was an outstanding achievement but we're in the cup final we really should be playing our best team. Playing Kelleher in goal would be similar to playing Minamino instead of Salah, no one would be happy if that happened.

Klopp has had other opportunities to play Kelleher to gain experience ( dead rubber CL games) and played Alisson instead. If we win with Kelleher in goal, everything will be fine, lose and the first thing will be why he didn't pick his strongest team.The final is for the whole squad and should be about giving ourselves the best chance of winning it, not for one player to gain experience.

That one player could be called on in big games though. Remember Adrian cost us the tie against Athletico Madrid just as Covid hit. I also think it is important for squad players to feel part of the first team, and that Klopp is fair to those players who played a large part in getting the team to the final. Maybe if he wasn’t Irish, I wouldn’t care, but I do think Kelleher deserves to start the final, and Klopp has said he will.

• Advertisement

Actually saw a conversation on twitter the other day where some lads wanted us to start Kelliher over Alisson yesterday cos they reckoned he's better with the ball at his feet than big Al. Football opinions can be strange things, you can't please everyone all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That was on here as well so no need to venture as far as Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I would not be shocked if Klopp rolls back on what he said regarding Kelleher starting the final. He was caught off guard by the question and said he hadn't even thought about it but that it was Kelleher's competition so why wouldn't he start. Maybe once he thinks about it a little more and it gets closer to the final he may change his mind.

Also who knows what position we are in come the final, say we drop points in the league and it looks done, maybe Cardiff pull a surprise and knock us out of the FA Cup or we throw in a stinker in the first leg away to Inter. If any of those things happen, all of a sudden the League Cup is looking very attractive and potentially the only trophy we can get our hands on and that would mean Klopp is playing Alisson imo. Lots of variables still up in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I actually do think he's better with his feet than Allison. Not that it makes him a better keeper overall right now. Allison is brilliant but he's had a fair few shaky moments with the ball at his feet. Now maybe Kelleher would as well if he was playing week in week out but we haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The strange thing about Kelleher is that he’ll probably end up playing far more games for Liverpool than he will for Ireland. It’s not just because Gavin Bazunu looks like a top keeper in the making, but Caoimhin’s best traits would be wasted in the national team. Not that he isn’t a decent shot-stopper too, it’s a total myth that he isn’t, one only has to look at his save against Ajax last season to know that.

He’s a perfect keeper for our system and one I’m always happy to see stand in for Alisson when needed, we’d do very well to keep him as a backup if he’s alright with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement