Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

I could never get my head around how a market where house prices are 50x income can sustain itself for any length of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If I was practically mortgage free and late 50s/early 60s I'd have the house sold and be off abroad with an early retirement - not to Athens mind you, somewhere a bit more West like Spain, Portugal or Italy. It could not be a better time to take advantage of the current situation and retire early if you were in this enviable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

so you must be spending all your time in the airport asking everyone coming to live in Ireland what they are going to be working at and apparently none or very few will be speaking English whilst doing their job? I call horsesh1t on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Hillaroius stuff

One bubble blower calling out another bubble blower in a video riddled with amazon get rich quick scams

Mother of God!

I can do desk research on this topic by going on jobs websites, searching for large tech MNCs and what jobs they have available to get an indication. Combined with anecdotal experience of knowing people who work in the large MNCs I can give a reasonably informed opinion that a significant number of people who come here to do well paid jobs in MNCs from other European countries are working in their own language and servicing their home market. These are the immigrants our rental market needs to sustain the rents on offer, not the students from South America and India happy to slum it up in hostel-style rentals; and the pandemic has potentially lead to our housing costs looking this gift horse (i.e. well paid, EU immigrants) in the mouth and the delayed return to the office/long-term WFH/ability to request a move to another EU office is all part of the arse falling out of the market that will manifest in the next 12 months (assuming no more BS with covid restrictions, in which case I will say 12 months + whenever covid restrictions finally end).

• Advertisement

Wood, like Musk, is a symptom of the euphoria in the markets the past few years where people buy into personalities more than anything else (people seem to think Musk is like some sort of Tony Stark character which would appear to explain his success in recent years with the movie franchise involving Tony Stark). In bubbles you get a lot of fraud and a lot of risk - Wood is an example of fraud I would say where she tries to nourish this almighty status but in reality she just invests in everything to do with tech and innovation; and just rode the Tesla wave with her investments. However, the last twelve months has seen a huge selloff among the rich and a conversion to cash, this should tell us something when the rich are the ones that are net sellers the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Did you watch the video or are you just riffing off the apparent Cathy Woods linking? One needs to look at content vs medium.

That is the position I am in. Unfortunately I have been a year delayed as that's how long the sale of my holiday home/grazing property has so far taken. Meanwhile, it's less than comforting to see property prices have risen 12.8% since I agreed a price. I have to refrain from being greedy, but any more stuffing around by the borrowers feckless bank and their feckless lawyers and I'm going to lose it and might give in to greed.

So based on your anecdotal experience, my anecdotal observation is not correct? That doesn't make sense. We have differing opinions based on similar anecdotal experiences I think is more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I have talked about black swans in posts moons ago, things such as whether inflation is really transitory and Evergrande. I am looking at the market and it is bleeeeeding. The 'winners' list DOW stocks are in minus! LMFAO. Recently there has been relatively quick bounce backs but I get the feeling this is it, this is going to be at least a correction if not a bear market.

We've also got a potential war brewing.

Nothing surprises me with Dublin house prices, though. The nukes will be flying and and prices in Howth will be up 5% :-)

Did you guys make a beginning of the year prediction on house prices? Predictions for % increase/decrease inside and outside of Dublin? I may have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

How do you know that the rich were net sellers the past year and have converted to cash?

Any wealthy investor will have a balanced portfolio and won't be holding a large portion in cash especially during an inflationary period where cash looses value.

And yet you and all the rest of the doomsdayers have given zero input into how the supply/damand issues are too be managed, black swan white swan you can show me all the swans each with a different color of the rainbow and prices are not going to drop simply because a certain cohort want it and want it now. Until supply/demand issues are addressed there will be no drops. Even when nukes are flying people still need a roof over their head, unfortunately there currently seems to be too many heads and not enough properly maintained roofs to allow prices to drop or even stand still

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Was thinking that myself

The demand is being pumped by the State; supporting 1/3 of all rentals and putting a floor on rents by doing this (including by implementing RPZs and kicking out small landlords from the market). Rents at current levels put more and more people every day into the bracket of needing support; do you think that the net can perpetually widen? If so, I'd very much like to drink from that coolade as it is essentially a "there's a magic money tree" attitude where the State can happily borrow (yes, borrow) to pay into housing market supports. There is nothing sustainable about the situation unless you think the State can keep increasing its spend on housing by increasing its borrowing.

Elon Musk and his brother dumping shares of Tesla; Michael Burry (infamous housing market shorter pre-2008) has already moved out of big tech stocks and into cash; Zuckerberg has sold billions worth of Facebook shares in the last 12 months; Warren Buffett/Berkshire Hathaway; Google's founders have sold hundreds of millions worth of shares this year for the first time since 2017

Sorry but this is our bleeding heart lefties pushing that agenda and now we have a certain cohort who now feel they are entitled to this. We have a history of giving monies to certain groups that are so hard to take away. Both what we pay for our welfare and public sector are shining examples of this. The funny thing is people believe the shinners will sort the housing crisis and they are more left leaning than any party that are currently in government currently. So the heads are still there that need housing and we still have not got enough houses., people who have been given supplements for housing or free housing will not have it taken away. Imagine the negative headlines of any government party taking HAP or FTB or any other support deemed necessary for those who cant afford to get on the ladder. (I think it should all go by the way just cant see it happening). Also a lot of these reliefs and options have been part of the narrative in this country for decades. So how do you go about taking that away? You throw in the rising of both building related labour and building costs not to mention a shortage of both. Also we are out of lockdown supports such as PUP will IMO be ending within the next 6 months (i could be wrong if another corona wave hits) so what they are paying out will come down.

So lets see people on here who have tried to come up with a narrative of prices coming down have put down the following

Evergrande collapse.

Interest rate hikes.

inflation vs Low wage inflation.

How can the gov support 1/3rd of rents.

While some of this may lead into what the cost of a house is in this country, IMO the following trends would suggest to me prices will not be coming down but increasing for the next 3/5 years.

Shortage of building laborers/building materials

increase in costs for both building labor/building materials

Increase of approx 1/2 a million people over the last decade

Feck all building of housing over the last decade

No way of forcing people to for rent themselves when they are used to the state paying for them

State have very limited financing to help build due to its current debt and deficit.

Reduction in time from 8 years to 4 months for undocumented non nationals to be able to work here - This will bring a lot of people to our shores.

The globalization of property meaning billy and mary are competing with companies and other people from other countries.

Vulture funds/REITS buying up more property and the small landlord leaving due to the punitive nature of being a small landlord. The Vultures will have the power to keep rents high.

So that is why I have made my prediction another 3 years of price rises at the very least

• Advertisement

Michael Burry got burned with his short positions last year so may have needed the cash to cover his losses.

Warren Buffet hasn't dumped his shareholding all that he has said is that their is little out there worth investing in while his cash reserves build from his investments.

Zuckerberg/Google/Elon Musk of course they sold shares just look how overvalued all those stocks were.. they have dropped a fair bit since November and probably still have another 10-20% to go..... Just because they sold high doesn't mean they are keeping the sales proceeds in cash they could have invested in other stocks/bonds/crypto/property..... How do you know they kept the sales proceeds in cash and lost 5-8% a year due to inflation?

I am not a doomsdayer. I have consistently said that I have no clue as to where the housing market in Ireland is going and where we will be in a year or five etc.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There is a thread. Probably same people making the same predictions they make every year, just changing their reasons a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I did exit the market a few years ago, because I felt the fundamentals were very poor, so I guess I'm a doom monger!

Anyway, the fundamentals are still pretty weak I think, but it might take a couple more years to filter through. With the type of immigration regulations and economy we have it's going to be very difficult to ever have a stable housing market I feel. Construction is pretty hectic at the moment so I'd hope some of the pressure is taken out of the market in a year or two, but it might not happen, prices could get even higher.

They are still up $575b since the start off the pandemic.

A lot of it not just on paper - Bezos, Musk, Zuckerberg, the Google pair and I'm sure many more tech entrepreneurs all banked mega gains last year selling stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭HBC08

House prices will go up a lot more before they come down.Its the very most basic rule of economics,supply and demand.

Supply cannot catch up with demand in the medium to long term,I can't see any scenario where it does.

Advertisement