Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

You seem to have this great habit of using information to prove the other person’s point for them. If Wooly was on there, there might not be such an issue with all the infantile and nuance-lacking evil Djokovic debate because at least there’d be someone to represent the other side of the story. At the moment, your John Duggans and your Marie-Treasas run riot with their safe, facile, dopamine-generating opinions and there isn’t even a whisper of anyone saying “hold on a minute…..wouldn’t a potentially more accurate version of events be X”. At least have some f’ing balance as an alternative to the woke circle jerk where everyone agrees with everyone else and they all nod in contentment with each other. I’m pretty sure a lot of the listenership do not buy into this culture. For example, they speak regularly about cancelled/postponed rugby/soccer matches as if these are a necessity to “protect public safety”. That’s one side. The other side is that we stop dancing around Covid and allow the world, sporting fixtures and all, to start functioning again. We can’t do this forever. Where is this opinion represented on there? It isn’t, because it’s evil, controversial, call it whatever you want and, that, to me, is a/the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's exactly what I expected.

You guys, well definitely you, don't have an issue with people having or expressing an opinion.

Your issue is that their opinion is different to yours.

When you don't agree with it, you call it a woke agenda and virtue signaling, when you do it's someone finally not being politicallycorrect, and just calling it as they see it.

The interesting thing with this approach you take, going on social media saying they should just stick to sports and stop with that other stuff, is that because you only do it when they have an opinion you don't like. What you're doing is the definition of cancel culture. But I'm willing to bet you definitely don't see it that way and cancel culture is only something people losers on the left do.

When Woolys giving an opinion, he's way more set in stone and agenda driven than any of the OTB staff, compare Twitter accounts for example, In fact so much so that I finally muted him on there. But his message is one you agree with, isn't it? I suppose I could have just gone on Boards every day and complained about this person having an opinion I don't agree with and yet choose to keep hearing, but probably then would be called permanently outraged, and a snowflake, wouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

You couldn’t be more wrong. I’m perfectly happy to hear other opinions as long as there is balance on both sides. With OTB, you only ever get one side. Like I said, it’s a circle jerk.

Lol.

Been reading you here for too long to buy that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Enjoyed today's episode,Ken's analysis of City and Pep was very well done. Even Miguel's input was pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The last Sunday paper review never came up on iTunes? Any other ways to hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ugh! Anyone else listening to this “piece” on, 1 day, England cricket captain, Eoin Morgan, saying he feels more English than Irish?

Why can’t they just stick to just talking about events on the pitch and reading out scores? More WOKE (all caps) bullplop. BullPLOP!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Used to listen to the OTB podcasts religiously when I was younger. Wanted to listen to the Premier League when on a long drive on Saturday so threw on Newstalk but was subjected to an absolute circle jerk of cliché ridden coverage from lads that think they know a tonne about every sport. Unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm a culchie with a strong accent myself but I can't stand listening to lads on the radio with horrible diction and speech.

"Da wan ting"

Listened in and enjoyed it. Thought Graham Gartland was a good addition. What exactly, other than the vague cliches above, did you not like about the show? I think JW wandered into hurling territory very briefly.

Women contributors are bashed for apparently knowing too little, male for appearing like they know too much....

There's no pleasing some people.

Maybe now you'll admit people can dislike a female pundit and not because she's a woman?

Bizarre response.

Am I not allowed to criticise the show? I suppose it caters to a certain audience to an extent - the ‘pub chat’ audience. But I’m not going to get anything in depth from it.

Don't know how you got that.

Based on what I've heard from female presenters on OTB, they know plenty to be on the airwaves.

The reaction to them on here would enforce the view that them being women is a significant factor in them being deemed to not have sufficient knowledge.

99% of what we get on this thread is people complaining about the show.

Do you see any hypocrisy in saying that the people on the show appear like they know it all about sport and then you saying that it's aimed at a pub chat audience and you won't get anything from it?

I understand that on the show on Saturday they had a panel of people competing under the Irish flag in the winter Olympics, is that something you were already acutely familiar with?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Nope you ain’t allowed or else Laurel and Hardy swoop in from the wings with pathetic excuses of how it’s great and you’re and idiot for making any criticism at all.

I wasn’t listening at that part. Winter Olympics people are fine and because it’s so niche I wouldn’t expect a knowledge anyway from the presenters. As mentioned, it’s when they throw out clichè-ridden nonsense about stuff they don’t actually know, or throw hyperbole about, that’s why grates me. They should just not talk about it.

Not sure why you’re getting so upset

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out that there's never any shortage of complaints about the show. That has always intrigued me.

Maybe if you hadn't switched off you'd have heard the piece about the olympics and enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Best ignore the “OTB At All Cost Defenders”

Show ended at 5pm. I gave it two hours in my defence.

Seriously?

You got 2 hours out of the show and then come on here painting the picture that you had to switch off immediately.

That's why all this complaining annoys me. What is it that motivates people so much to focus on the negative?

What the feck is wrong with you? It’s an opinion forum. I listened to two hours worth of coverage and gave an opinion. How can you get so worked up over something so trivial?

I'd say you've inadvertently got yourself stuck in the middle of a row not of your making. This thread regularly gets visitors who barrel in from nowhere with posts like yours above and then all hell breaks loose. The detractors, who seem to think that OTB is some woke conspiracy, will be all over the newcomer like a rash because it reinforces their agenda. I have no idea why they hover here if they hate the show so much.

A few regulars, who go back to before the thread was rendered unreadable and a total mess, and seem to enjoy some parts of the show, will question some of the stuff put forward as much of it is dubious and more of it just nonsense and get accused of being arch defenders and being part of the conspiracy.

I've probably criticised the show as much as defended it in my time posting in the thread, but I'll always question the dubious posts on here as many fall into the crass, ill-informed and agenda-driven category. Of late, it's all that seems to be posted here.

As for your initial post, you are more than entitled to state your opinion, but your initial post was vague and lacking any clear reason for the criticism. I listened to the full segment and it was 90 per cent football apart from JW's bit about hurling and then the live racing commentary. John Duggan and Johnny Ward are very much into the horses, with Ward being a renowned and very well regarded tipster and race horse owner so I'd say they know what they are talking about.

I also liked the bit when Graham Gartland spoke about Steven Gerrard. So much of the coverage of Gerard the manager I have heard and read is cliche-ridden rubbish you mention, but Gartland has been in the opposite dug out to him, pitted his wits against him and shared a drink with him in the manager's room after a game. That was a lot more insight on Gerard than I've heard in a while.

I don't think the Premier League -based scores update show that was very popular a few years ago is as big these days and OTB is not the only show that is focusing on coverage that is closer to home, be it the LOI, the national team or women's football. Maybe I'm showing my age, but my interest in the PL has long waned and I'd rather listen to anything but the constant drone of the PL.

For what it's worth, I'd say Damien Delaney's take on the PL and being a pro is second to none and features regularly on OTB.

Assuming I'm one of the above, that's a terrible take on my contributions here. I've criticised the show as much as I've defended it in the last few years and I've had a few robust debates with a few people about the quality of the show (I think they've spread themselves way too thin since OTB AM started), but of late this place has been ruined by crap posters who are intent on rubbishing everything about it. They never have anything positive to say about OTB so I wonder why they listen to it and why they post here to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

There should be 2 threads, one for moaning, one for discussing the show and it's content.

Good discussion this evening by Joe and the contributor on the GAA format.

Joe rightly coming out saying people don't really have much interest in watching club football, it's all about inter county.

I don't see why the clubs should be crying out for the county players. Play someone else. But you have desperate club managers looking to win the mickey mouse cup so he can be called a great lad so he wants the all star.

They should do it so you declare yourself either eligible for county or club. Expecting players to play a full season of inter county pre season cup, league, provincial and then championship and then have them play loads more games for the clubs, it's not right.

Then you have college players forced to play sigerson etc.

No one gets into GAA because of their local club. I watched gaa on tv and saw class players and then I got into it. Inter county is the pinnacle and that's what the aim of the GAA should be for players, to develop the inter county players and teams.

Imagine Ronan O'Gara in his prime having to reduce his Ireland time because Cork Con wanted him to play for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Advertisement