Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

i wouldn’t be surprised if Russia invaded. I would be surprised if Europe did much more than sanctions. Which never seem to achieve anything. Don’t see Europeans supporting their sons (and occasionally daughters) dying on Ukrainian soil to fight Russia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They struggled to get as far as sanctions after the last Russian invasion of Ukraine...

The German reluctance to even allow arms to be sold to Ukraine is disquieting though. I get that they have a unique take on conflict in Europe, but pretending conflict doesn't exist doesn't strike me as a way to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You would think their own history would teach them something about that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

I don't know if it is related to Nord Stream but it's probably related to Nord Stream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Has to be. Germans would surely know how effective appeasement is.

• Advertisement

I've seen plenty of comment from people who should know what they are on about that it has more to do with a German squeamishness towards being antagonistic towards Russians given their history. So more psychological then pragmatic.

I personally think Coen’s MacBeth on Apple is a stunning movie. Watched it twice, the second time with subtitles so as to not miss a word. The cinematography is outstanding. I did this at school (along with Romeo & Juliet), wish the film had existed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just getting over a bout of covid. Nasty **** virus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Same, just coming out of isolation soon. If omicron is mild I'm glad I didn't get the earlier variants. All the family got it, so I suppose it's great to get it over with. No more worry about kids bringing it home from school.

• Advertisement

Interesting. I had it over Christmas and bar a very scratchy throat for a day it was basically just a massive inconvenience that I was stuck in one room isolating. Was incredibly mild (had been boosted beforehand which maybe helped).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I've had issues with pneumonia previously, so it affected me more I suppose. Glad you all are doing well.

It’s funny how much it can vary from person to person. For me it was just like a bad cold. Bit of a cough, aches and pains and a little bit brain dead for 2 days. After that it was gone and I felt fine. I’d imagine without the vaccine it would have been a very different story though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea it varies a lot, my mother in law was hospitalised for about a week with pneumonia last year and picked up Covid a few weeks ago and she was absolutely fine, no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My wife caught it over Christmas the day we were meant to go for boosters. She had 4 or so bad days and tested negative by day 8.

I caught it about 2 weeks ago (boosted). Had two bad days of a head cold and a bit of tiredness and tested negative by day 7.

My dad caught it off me (mid-60s). Had a slight sniffle for 2 days but was testing positive for 14 days - only tested negative for the first time today.

The variation from person to person is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I have it at the moment, it's like the mildest cold I've ever had in my life. The better half has it worse, hers is more like a flu than a cold. Then the kids have it too and you wouldn't even know, zero symptoms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm boosted too. Had 2-3 days of feeling like a really bad flu, aches and chills, freezing cold even sitting beside the stove, couldn't warm up at all. No bad head cold symptoms, slight cough that's almost gone. But on day 11 now and still testing positive, and feeling absolutely wrecked, I don't think I've ever felt this tired.

Wife tested positive yesterday, no symptoms. Kids all got it, the baby was fine, older 2 had fever for a day up to 39.8C but we're over it as soon as the fever was gone.

I’m going to come out of the cupboard and admit I’ve not had Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Me neither, that I'm aware of. Though our Scout troop is back next week, no doubt I'll catch it from one of the youth or a parent or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I haven't yet either. Fully expecting to catch it at some point though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My OH was the same with it over Christmas and is still tired a month later

Bizarrely I never tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Anyone had a go on Rugby 22 which was released today? Have been stung too many times by rugby games in the last few years but it actually looks decent enough.

https://youtu.be/FgdT3OYH-aA

Is it just me, or are people more moany/whingey these days (yes I do realise I'm effectively here doing the same)? I just read someone on Reddit giving out that they didn't get a reply from a potential landlord to say they didn't get a property, then called landlords the worst people in the World. Another large thread about what the Government is doing to stop rising prices, including one suggestion we should lower taxes and borrow to do it, because it's effectively free money.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

While I wouldn't bother my arse going on Reddit to complain about it, landlords (and people in general) not doing the courtesy of informing you you didn't get the property is an absolute ballache.

Is it not a case of if you don't hear back, you're not getting it? Why do you need someone to tell you specifically you're not getting it? A property could have a hell of a lot of interest, is the landlord supposed to contact every single one to tell them? I hear people with similar tales about not hearing back after submitting a CV. Do they not understand there could be 100s of applicants, and to reply to every one just isn't a runner.

Personally if I was that interested in a property, I'd be proactively chasing the landlord for an answer. Not sitting there waiting for them to contact me.

Because you generally do not know when the transition from "not heard back yet" to "application obviously thrown in the bin" is.

Not responding to CVs similarly is the height of rudeness and **** behaviour. Any company is well capable of flying off 100s of emails to unsuccessful applicants, they just don't bother.

While I would love to be polite and fire off 100s of emails, it would take me days, and I don't have days to give for free. I'm guessing most businesses are the same. I'd take no response as a response personally. I wouldn't get precious and start moaning online.

It would take you days to send off a generic email notifying people they were unsuccessful? You must work in the public sector.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Even at that, large companies will have CRM-type systems that could do this with pretty minimal effort, and not need it to be a manual effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Advertisement