Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was just too cold, my only memeory was going for a cycle and needing to go to bed to warm up after. there was a lot of northerly winds from memory , always glad to sacfirce a few degrees for dry but

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

You jinxed it by being so optimistic leading to the build up of cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I sure did, went to beach for a jog and quite breezy and cloudy, can't feel my extremities

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the change will begin in February. If things turn unsettled around the end of January which the models are currently hinting at, we will have to wait and see if this is yet another 1 to 2 week stint of mild Atlantic westerlies before the high pressure sets back up over us or will this be a longer term return to unsettled. February is still up for grabs but I've a feeling it will be a mostly mild month, perhaps milder than January or December especially if we start getting regular south-westerlies. If the high is going to go anywhere it will be to our south or south-east, I don't see any Scandi or Greenland highs happening any time soon.

The one thing that is certain is that there will be barely any rainfall between now and February with many areas perhaps staying completely dry.

But I think we will quickly start to turn more unsettled around February, the PV which is actually fairly strong right now is set to strengthen even further over the next 10 days and this will help drive the westerlies more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Well at least the ecm at day 10 shows the pv on the move, heading more to the east of its current location. Thats the only positive I can see,going forward if that does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Stating the obvious but we really need the PV to weaken soon to give us a chance of northern blocking. So frustrating yet predictable to see the High pressure over us sink southwards. Not saying it's a foregone conclusion but this is what the models are currently showing. It would be great to see the PV weaken dramatically during February but more than likely that probably won't happen till late March or April which is too late 🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The GFS pub run continues to upgrade the strength of the PV over the next 2 weeks. We won't be seeing a sniff of cold weather till at least the middle to end of February. The PV is currently around -76C but it may go as cold as -84C over the next 10 days, this is the last thing we want to see happening with only 1 month of winter left to go. This is pretty much curtains on any cold over the next 2 to 3 weeks at the very least.

This winter is about as bad as it gets for cold and snow fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In terms of a sustained cold outbreak, yes, but if the jet is running on a nw- south east axis, it may open the door to brief colder interludes with snow for some, but unfortunately not ice days with snow on the ground for days. My great fear is that when the pv does finally being to weaken, all that bottled up cold air when released may mean we get a fairly cold March and April.

Murphy’s Law. That’s probably what will happen. Around St Patricks Day we’ll get our much sought after easterly 🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Dull overcast day here in Kerry for the most part apart from a few short lived breaks in the cloud, feeling cool just getting up around 8C and 7.7C now. Very little range in the temperature today, has that stuck feeling now for a number of days! Working a bit around the garden and the garage today and needed to be well wrapped up, just 8.5C in the garage. Looks like very little rainfall for the coming week, a weak enough front on Weds perhaps and getting a bit breezy in the Northern half of the country more so along the coasts, looks like similar temperatures for the next few days if a little bit cooler, maybe a bit milder next weekend from the SW but that could bring rain with it. A touch of frost in a few places, Tues Morning, Weds Morning and maybe Fri morning.

All so pedestrian.

Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

just an update on what's happening with the weather in Sweden

after a very cold December, where we had snow cover where I live in Northern Gotaland for the full month, January has been relatively disappointing so far-we have only had snow cover 2/3 of the time with a measly 4cm currently on the ground here and temperatures have been fluctuating constantly with below freezing days followed by mild days with temps up to 6/7 degrees which isn't something you see that often in Jan.The ice on the lakes has stayed though due to mostly below freezing nights and is 20/30cm thick on all my local lakes so winter isn't done yet. The north of Sweden has had a very stable cold winter with the biggest snow depth a very impressive 151cm at Katterjakk. The rest of January looks like being the same weather but there are signs that at the start of Feb the cold will make a renewed assault on the south of Sweden so hopefully that will help send some cold air in Ireland's direction for all you snow lovers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Another stunning morning here in Dublin...blue skies and no clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

What a boring winter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If by boring you mean no rain, no wind, clear skies, sun's out & dry ground then I'm all for boring winters 😜

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

barely needed my heat so far this winter either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Really?! Find that hard to believe, it’s been warmer than average but it has still generally been cool since November. Very little heat from the sun too to warm houses. Our house is A rated with a heat pump but we still have spent approx 40-50 a month on heating this winter to keep the house at 20c.

Many places haven't seen sun in about a week or more at this stage, just endless gloomy mirky skies and no real temperature difference between daytime and night time.

Next week's cold plunge into Europe may have to be watched between January 30th and February 1st. Nearly half of the GFS 12z members are showing cold and possibly snow for Ireland during this period. The other runs keep the plunge more towards eastern UK and east of there and we miss out narrowly and left high and dry. Yesterday the majority of the GFS model had no interest in bringing any of this to Ireland but this has definitely increased today even if the GFS operational isn't having any of it being a mild outlier. If this does happen expect this cold plunge to be sharp but very brief, maybe 12 to 24 hours at the very most, but knowing our luck this winter this will just brush past us.

We will be lucky if we even get those 12 to 24 hours. The Joke is on us as we are now entering the final 4 weeks of winter without a sniff of winter or even weather. This is the most boring and non eventful winter I have ever experienced. Winter 2019/2020 was another winter that never happened but at least there was weather at the time.

Even this high pressure is unpleasant in that it's just gloomy mirk all the way through, hasn't been sun in a week, hasn't been frost in over a week. It's far too mild for any frost but the slate grey cloud keeps the daytime feeling cooler than it should be. I just want this winter to go away now.

• Advertisement

Lovely weather for those of us who like to spend time outdoors though. Didn't need to wash my bike after my spin Saturday; kids wore shoes instead of wellies to the park on Sunday; spent Saturday afternoon gardening and working nice, crumbly soil when I'd be sinking in mud most Januarys. When the Atlantic is usually the alternative, I'll take high pressure murk all winter long.

I live in a terrace house that I got insulated when I bought it about 6 years ago but the sun shines on the front of it all day and it just seems to keep warm. I only need the heat on when my gf is here at the weekends but yeah generally it's a piece of piss winter, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd find 20c on the thermometer chilly myself, Ms Toboggan wouldn't be happy anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This winter has to be the worst in terms of events, no storms, no snow, barely any frosts, have to say ireland is heating up and exceptionally mild this winter can only imagine what summer will be like, 30c+ days fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Artane2002

These topplers have a habit of correcting eastwards so I fully expect us to miss out, wouldn't be surprised if the high ends up right over us. January has been very sunny here and temperatures for the most part have been near average so it is just about a tolerable month for me. Bring back this day last year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That's exactly what's happened on the 18z. It has shifted about 250 miles to the east and misses the UK too and instead we stay under a mild and cloudy high. Looks to be very little sunshine over the next week.

Meanwhile tonight in Athens

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

That’s exactly what I mean, I love the cold, rain and wind. Snow is a bonus but have accepted this isn’t common

I don’t care too much for the sun even in summer

rain and wind all year long would keep me very happy. I appreciate I will be in the very very small minority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A very small range of temperatures over south Laois these last 24hrs...

Max 6.5c

Min 4.4c

Gmin 3.4c

Slate grey featureless sky all the way with just a very light southerly breeze.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement