Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I've driven 15km since March last year, and for the price I paid (1st edition) I'm glad I made the decision.

This! Would you have been as happy if you'd paid EV6 money for the ID4 though?

I forgot to mention the other software bug i've come across from time to time. Bluetooth phone calls being silent, but working if I disconnect and reconnect my phone. Not a great experience when you're driving and receive a call. Also a few times i've not been able to turn UP the volume (typically when streaming I think, but it's very rare). Down is no problem, but up won't budge. Reset the head unit fixes it, but not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

"Also a few times i've not been able to turn UP the volume"

I've had this issue with the ID.3 a few times too

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Agree with the contributions here, have 18k completed and overall very happy with it:

Good:

• Very refined and quiet
    • Nippy (as per most EV's)
    • Well build overall - I've got no rattle or shakes
    • Great high SuV seating position, v comfortable
    • Due to height and space its very easy to get kids in and out of
    • Great boot - its not just the size in liters is thecshape. I can fit all sorts of bits and pieces in. The ev6 for instance wouldn't work for us in this regard
    • Wireless android auto is a gift
    • Looks well - its a subjective thing but I like the design. The iconic5 for instance looks futuristic but may not age well

Bad:

• Software is too slow generally and a little buggy -release velocity is disappointing
    • App is poor feature wise
    • One loose door seal, easy fix
    • Winter range is disappointmenting (possibly common to a lot of EV's)

In fact, hope to get a GTX this year

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

Was on to the dealership today. My original build date, week 48/49 didn't go ahead due to the factory been closed down for Covid. Assured it's going ahead this week. Dealership didn't seem to know if it's an upgraded spec or the same spec for my original build. The wait goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Would you have been as happy if you'd paid EV6 money for the ID4 though?

Good question

A year later there's much more choice. I needed a car at the time and the ID.4 fitted the bill, and was immediately available. The prices of everything have increased since then as well as the crazy build and delivery dates, how much would a similar spec ID.4 cost now, 55k+? Would I pay that now - no as I wouldn't be able to afford it atm, so wouldn't be able to buy a similar spec EV6/Ioniq5 either.

If the EV6 was available for 45k last year would I go for it over the ID.4? Not sure, I didn't like it when I saw it in the flesh, sat too low down for me, a bit cramped for my liking on the inside, boot felt too small, no wiper on the rear window, but that's my personal opinion. Didn't really like the Ioniq 5 either when I saw it recently, I was looking for something a bit smaller then the traditional SUV size I was coming from and find the ID.4 somewhere in-between, a bit shorter and a bit narrower then the EV6/Ioniq5 but without any compromise internally. The tech in the Korean cars is attractive but I don't think it would change my choice as I need the practical side of things more. There's room for all 3 in the market now and I hope the new cars do well, competition can only be a good thing.

Hindsight is a great thing, there's always some first mover advantage and all the risks that brings. I've been lucky to have the chance to drive the car for nearly a year already, and am a bit jealous of the fun the new Kia/Hyundai owners will have.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭amargar

What range would you get on a highway trip in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Same here....i had a week 50 build and was told last week that it's now likely the start of February before it gets built so hopefully a March delivery .....they're not able to tell me yet if it will ship with v3.0 but here's hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I hope mine is in the same build, was meant for last summer , eventually ended up being built in the 15Dec but missed that

have you ordered a 52kWh?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

WeConnect ID app update for iPhone adds widget for battery and range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

We use wireless apple CarPlay 100% of the time now, loading by default when either of us sit into the car, so we literally never see the VW interface unless changing a climate setting or something, and if the Hyundai and Kia don’t have that it’d be a big turnoff, which I didn’t realise

i live in prime EV Land and I’m starting to see EV6’s and Ioniq5’s about. I’m definitely warming to the ev6 more than the ioniq - in the flesh the proportions of the ioniq 5 look bloated.

• "Winter range is disappointmenting (possibly common to a lot of EV's)"

haha, you never had the privilege then of driving a 24 Kwh Nissan Leaf from 2015 ? with 21 Kwh usable and fast charge at 35 Kw at the fast charger if you're lucky 😂

I'm happy enough with the range of the 77 Kwh id3 I can easily get 300 Kms at good speeds with no form of economical driving this Winter. I'm sure Summer will see me get close to 400 Kms or even more with slower driving.

VW said they will fix the slow DC charging speeds, it's especially bad for a 77 Kwh battery in my opinion, 50 Kw on ESB 150 Kw charger and 60 Kw on Ionity is not good at 35% charge in this day and age. The Ioniq 5 and EV 6 absolutely obliterate the ID range of cars on the fast charger but in fairness those have their fair share of issues, over heating batteries and power loss are some. Not sure why Manufacturers don't go with the BMW style of direct AC cooling ? It's probably easier and cheaper to use the one form of liquid cooling but the BMW i3 uses a very efficient and efficient cooling system.

I do mostly long trips though which kinds balances out the battery heating which eats up Kwh on short trips especially when the battery can not heat while plugged into the mains which I find really outrageous.

I think it will be end of 22 if not early 23 before VW fix these issues. Their speed of their software roll out and app updates is atrocious.

In fairness, apart from the poor charging speeds I am quite happy with the car, on motorway trips it's pretty efficient, probably more so at high speed than the much lighter BMW i3. Fast charging will be rare enough with so much range.

I read yesterday that the Chinese will be making cars later in the year with 150 Kwh solid state batteries, that's mind boggling and 10 years earlier for solid state batteries than I had thought, so if true that's a game changer. That would be over twice the range of the 77 Kwh id3 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did 240km in January without charging, no bother to the car

I can't remember what my starting and ending SOC were, but I think overall consumption was around 21kWh/100km

So a little over 300km range. That's at motorway speeds with family and luggage in the car

One thing to note is that your consumption will go up when you're doing a lot of short journeys in a day. This is because the car is cooling down between journeys and has to heat up again

You'll need to charge more often in that case, but if you've home charging then it's not really much effort

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Funnily enough, I always disliked the look of the EV6 in pictures and preferred the Ioniq 5

But having seen both in person, I the the EV6 is better looking now

I'm still not a great fan of the rear though

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I was the same - the initial pics of the ioniq5 looked great. However it’s a BIG car, which you don’t see in pictures, but in the flesh it looks ‘fat’ more so than ‘big’.

i was considering the 52kw option if and when they reintroduce it, but a good friend who has one said he can barely get 200km out of it on (albeit irregular) motorway trips, at motorway speed.

seems like awful real world winter range and you’re relying on public charging to save you?

V3 of the software should (Somewhat) address winter range issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

The iOS widget also shows charging power now, previously could only see this on Android.

• Advertisement

One thing to be aware of if not already is that when activating the heat remotely if you drive say 10 mins and stop the car get out and lock it the heating will stay on for another 20 mins, the heating will run for 30 mins regardless if set manually via the app and I can only stop it again manually via the app, so something to be aware of which could be chewing up a lot of range on people unaware of this.

This happens in my id3 probably the same with id4 maybe those on 2.3 don't have this issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Hi does anyone know if I can still get the €625 from airtricity. My car was registered on 1st July. Dealer never told me about the offer. I cant see a clause about not claiming after 31st December. Just about car cant be registered after 31st December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think the offer only started last end of August or start of September so was a short run and wasn't around when you got your car. You were in before the offer started and at the time anyone that already had an Id 4 got €50 instead of €625.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

No it’s for cars registered 1st July - 31st December. Mine was registered 1st July

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

You should get it so if you ring your dealer. I know when my father was picking up his car at the end of September he was the first person in the dealership to get the deal and the first person they had even filled the forms out for. That might have been because very few iD4 cars arrived into the dealership in the previous month or so and also there was close to zero promotion of the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I'll be waiting for my car 8 months mid next month.

Beating me by a month. I ordered on July 7th

edit: just off the phone to my dealer. The car left the paint shop yesterday. So should be nearing assembly. Which doesn’t take long. Reckons it’ll be in country in 4 weeks

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I was told my car was finished in early December but waiting semi conductors. First week of January it was in the shipping yard waiting on a boat but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

Hi

My car was also registered on the first of July and i signed up for the sse deal on that day for €675 free credit. It took 3 months for the credit to come through . There was very little information on the offer and no t & c and sse were hard to deal with and kept sending us back to vw.

• Advertisement

Advertisement