Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Don't know which to be watching!!!

Think I'll switch to Shapo, and hope that the Nadal match just peters out (or lasts another 2 hours!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

2 sets to Shapovalov!! Literally can't keep up my eyes open any more but hope he gets it done here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Zverev looks done line kipper. Must be struggling badly with the heat. Kinda looks like he just wants to get out of there no matter what.

He really looks like he just wants it to be over. Or like he's absolutely bored out of his tree.

Missed the end of the Mannarino match, 6-2 in the 3rd - what a shame it had to end like that.

But I'd say he'll never forget that first set and the tie break!!

• Advertisement

Yep, he's decided to take the express route to the exit door now too.

Shapavalov wins it in three. Pretty comfortable you'd have to say. Question marks about Zverev remain. Hard to see where he goes long term.

Shapo/Nadal will be some humdinger of a match!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zverev was so passive, it was like he didn’t want to be there. Commentators were struggling to find ways to describe him. Shap played well first set, and again the 3rd, but the double faults are a killer. He’s actually got a worse rate on double faults than Zverev, I think they said over the last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PCB isn’t holding back in the early games against Berrettini

• Advertisement

Berrettini saves break point while serving for the set. Takes it 7-5.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Watched Barty-Anisimova on record. Barty was tested at times but never really looked under any actual threat. Too many errors from Amanda also, and she'll be having nightmares about that missed smash tonight, but it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Delighted to see Shapovalov took out Zverev, didn't see it happening so emphatically.

I do wonder if Djokovic's deportation is spurring Nadal on even more, giving him that extra bit of motivation? He's been afforded an incredibly rare opportunity, it's got to be on his mind. He won't have it easy, but he must be the favourite to get to the final from that top half. Will be interesting to see if he can take it all the way. Also, winning another AO at this stage of his career, and standing alone with 21 slams, would do far more for his legacy than winning yet another RG would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭poppy37

I was disappointed to see Badosa lose but the tank was empty. Keys must be one of the most infuriating players around, it will be interesting to see how far she goes but equally she could fall apart in her next match.

I’m afraid it looks like Vika’s race is run, she’s a veteran of the tour now and like Kvitova it may be time to look ahead to a future without tennis.

I did not see that result coming for Zverev, shocking performance, Berrettini had a hard physical battle with Carreno Busta despite winning in straights and faces Monfils next.

End of the first week and it still looks good for Barty and Medvedev.

I think its a big incentive for everyone. not only Nadal. All of a sudden your normal suspects like Shap, Gael, Paire seemed to see an opportunity that may not come around again. A lot of these players look more focussed than I've ever seen them as the draws open up.

Medvedev can take World No 1 if he wins, as well another slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hard to see Zverev winning a slam, he just doesn't seem to have the right mentality or drive when the going gets tough for him. He has all the tools to win one, just lacking mentally, I thought after beating Djokovic at the Olympics and pushing him hard at the USO that he had turned a corner. He had a great opportunity here to make the final with Djokovic out, but has blown it. Can't really remember him beating another top player at a slam, which is remarkable considering he's ranked number 3 and has made a slam final.

Rafa on the other hand just keeps going, the polar opposite to Zverev really, he could very well reach the final now, maybe even win number 21, which would be both remarkable and a poor reflection on the current crop of players. I don't think he'll win it, think he'll run out of steam, think Berrettini will make the final from this half of the draw and most likely play Medvedev in the final.

The women's is still fairly unpredictable, but, Barty seems to be sailing through, will go for a Barty v Halep final with Halep winning (watch her get knocked out in next round now 😂)

Here's a Zverev stat for you 👀

Didn't realise he still hasn't beaten a top ten player, was sure that had changed inside the last year or so.

Poor from Zverev and he said it himself that he didn't deserve to go any further here

Nadal unlikely to have a significant chance of winning unless Medvedev has a mishap I think

Medvedev should have beaten Nadal at the US Open in 2019 which was a surface that suited Nadal more (and more than the AO) at the time and Medvedev wasn't the player then that he is now

Wouldn't totally count out Shapo against Nadal as he has a difficult serve to deal with when firing but they are both lefties so doesn't have that advantage that worked well against Zverev, particularly playing the backhand cross court to Zverev's forehand with the one-handed angle heading out very wide off-court

They haven't played each other on an outdoor hard court since 2017

And a Shap one; first win against a top 5 since 2017 v Nadal, apparently.

The Australian Open say they are concerned for Peng Shuai but more concerned about their big Chinese drinks sponsor it seems.

In other Slam-related news Djokovic is back in the French open on news out just today on France's updated rules

No doubt some quite miserable bastards will be even more miserable now this but hey ho, onwards and upwards

In for the French and Wimbledon as it stands, even if he does not go down the vaccine route.

Under the European country’s new rules, vaccine passports can also be used by people who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the past six months, and since the Serbian returned a positive PCR in December, he will be able to travel to the country unvaccinated until June, which works out perfectly for the 34-year-old as the French Open kicks off on May 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Funnily enough Raducanu who was keen to capitalise on her Chinese heritage silent hasn’t said a word about Peng Shuai. I’m sure she under strict orders from her management to say nothing.

• Advertisement

True, she was really making so many noises about China and how she loved Li Na etc that it was obvious that there was a conscious positioning there and hoping for an Osaka-Japan scenario sponsorship bonanza with a way bigger market.

The Chinese are quite insular and racist tho so I don't see that working out the same way, at all.

Not a squeak about Peng Shuai though - correct on that.

There is no guarantee that Raducanu will win anything big ever again tho so all "commercial options" being taken very seriously and "protected" I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I’d love if she was asked about it in a press conference.

Oooh, commentators on the Tsitsipas match just now said that Netflix are doing a F1-type series on tennis. Wimbledon (surprisingly, IMO) have said yes to them as well.

Hadn't heard that, will very much look forward to it!!

I had heard it was in the making, and they referred to a player in the earlier rounds being followed last week - might have been Tsitsipas?

Tsitsipas, Fritz, Sabalenka are the names they mentioned today. And maybe one other but I can't remember!

Filming has started with the AO, so I presume it won't be out for a while - or maybe they'll do it in tournament chunks like F1 was done for each race. Don't know if it's just the four Slams, or other smaller tournaments are included.

Tennis doesn't divide up as easily/evenly as F1 though.....

Anyway, something to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Great news Novak can play in the french open.

Tsitsipas having to work very hard to keep himself in the 3rd set.... and Fritz has his serve to take it after.

Tsitsipas looks like his nerve is completely gone at times

And now Tsitsipas serving for the 4th set.....

Talk about up and down (and up and down)!!

• Advertisement

2 sets all

Tsitsipas has woken up again!

Oooh, a VERY timely break by Tsitsipas to lead 5-4 in the final set!!!

Can Fritz claw it back to a tie-break?

Some match. Human frailties got to both of them at times. Real up and down stuff. Great to see Fritz playing so well.

That was a nailbiting finish - just a shame Fritz couldn't get it to a tiebreak!

Tsitsipas would want to sort his head out before the quarter finals, he cut it a bit fine there.

Delighted to hear Cornet made it through another round in the women's draw - she must be absolutely delighted with herself!!

Going to set the Nadal/Shapavalov match to record, and avoid this thread at all costs until I've seen it - I fully expect it to be a proper cracker of a match!

Sabalenka world no.2 goes out to someone who turned pro in the last century - a real up and comer who makes Cornet look like a spring chicken. Back up to 15 DF's which didn't help.

More power to Kanepi getting her best AO result of her career at this age I suppose.

Swiatek should knock her out easily enough but I'll support this last-hurrah story for the laugh.

The men's QF line-up really is fantastic, every single one of those could be a great match. Don't want either of Monfils or Tsitsipas in the final, apart from that I'm happy to watch pretty much any other possible final matchup.

On the WTA side I'd only be happy with Barty/Krejcikova vs Swiatek. Would be particularly disappointed if Swiatek doesn't make it, and tbh I don't think she will.

• Advertisement

It’s some fairy tale for Cornet, the conditions were brutal but it was a great battle. My ears are not looking forward to Cornet v Collins though!!

Another disappointing performance from Sabalenka, Kanepi hopefully won’t go any further.

Medvedev was so annoying against Cressy, constantly bitching and moaning, as for his complaining about his lack of time on Rod Laver arena he’d do well to remember he’s not actually the world no 1 yet and is only the top seed by default.

Mens draw has definitely held up better than the women’s yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd be very worried if I was Nadal. Hard to see him winning here really. If Shapovalov puts it all together, could blast his way through Nadal. The guy has some seriously powerful groundstrokes. Hard to see where Nadal will get much joy tbh, could be relying of Shapovalov to lose his nerve like he did against Djokovic at Wimbledon when it mattered. But thats clutching at straws really.

Nadal will also be hoping Monfils can pull off the upset against Berrettini. He's 14-2 against Monfils, with the Frenchman's last win coming over ten years ago in Doha.

Nadal has got the horn this year in Australia as the guy who Nadal has won 1 of the last 20 sets they played together on hardcourts has been sent out by the Australians on the basis presented of thought police violations.

He was also fortunate that the ATP Finals Zverev went AWOL in the AO.

Shapo is not very consistent (at all), that's his issue - there's no guarantee that he can put in a consecutive decent performance.

That's why he has only won one solitary ATP singles tournament ever - a measly 250 at that, back in 2019.

It's not clear what standard of play will be on display against Nadal.

I still think Nadal gets dismantled if he comes up against Medvedev.

If he gets to the final he has to hope that Medvedev has gone down before getting there.

I still don't see who'll beat Sinner.

• Advertisement

Medvedev would be favourite to beat Sinner if they met

Sinner did push him in the ATP finals but that was an unimportant round-robin match (Medvedev was already through to the next round) but over 5 sets on this type of surface I see Medvedev winning 4 times out of 5

Sinners' primarily baseline game suits Medvedev's consistency from that area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Some win by Nadal just now, will definitely rank as one of the most gutiest of his career. Ultimately, though, it was more a case of Shapo losing it than Nadal winning it.

Nadal reaching the semis of his least favourite slam after being off the tour for ~6 months, in addition to recently having Covid is some achievement all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nadal's win means this is the 70th time out of the last 71 Grand Slams that at least one of the Big 3 has made the semis.

But that's far enough thanks Rafa, back to Mallorca with you after the next match.

I was very disappointed Shapavolov couldn’t pull it off, I’m not bothered who wins the title as long as it’s not Nadal. That five setter will have taken a lot out of him hopefully.

That was some beat down on Krejcikova by Keys, Barty had a few sticky moments mid first set but a very easy victory all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Nadal doing enough to get through, but , surely that 5 setter will take it out of him for the semi final. He's a remarkable competitor, would expect Berrettini to take care of him in semi final as I think Nadal will run out of steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Well Nadal sure showed me. Would you really put it past him to win it now? His game will produce alot of unforced errors for guys like Medvedev and Berrettini, due to the spin and his grinding nature, something they don't get with Djokovic to the same extent. Could be awkward for them.

Shapovalev is still the best prospect of the younger players if he can put it all together consistently. He's getting further in slams now, and can see his breakthrough in the not too distant future. Once he gets that breakthrough, is more relaxed and confident instead of often trying to force the issue, he could go very far in the game.

That defeat won't do much for his confidence though, alot of the younger players seem to struggle with the mental side of the game. I'm sure they are aware of the expectation of trying to overhaul the big 3 in the media, and the scrutiny they are under. It has to play on their mind, they all seem to struggle with it

Nice comeback being staged by Monfils here.

My spoiler-avoidance stratety for the Nadal/Shapovalov match didn't work - I inadvertently opened the AO website when half asleep this morning! Is it worth watching back?

I cannot get my head around the scheduling of these matches - this one is now being played close to midnight, and could easily have another two hours left in it.

Why, well into the second week, when there are so few matches to be played, would you schedule things so that a mens' five-setter starts at 9pm???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Re Cornet vs Collins: The good news is that one of them will lose. The bad news is that one of them will win. I don't know which gets on my goat more: Cornet's incessant drama queenery, or Collins' loud mouth (and that of her boyfriend, who can be heard after every point she wins).

I don't get this "Cornet = Drama Queen" thing!

Now, I'd never come across her before this tournament, so maybe she has history - she's been around long enough! - but I've got fierce fond of her in her matches so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Well, Berrettini has to see off Monfils first, and he's already run up some serious court time this event.

Also, the men's semis are not until Friday, giving the Old Man more time to recover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement