Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Absolutely. His voting record and some of the statements he's made surely go against everything Labour are supposed to stand for. I don't understand how he's been welcomed into the party with open arms, even the union jack facemask he had on as he crossed the aisle just screamed Tory.

I saw the Labour MP Charlotte Nichols being called out by grassroots on Twitter for hypocrisy. She said a couple of weeks ago when there were (probably nonsense) rumours swirling that Corbyn might start a new party that any MP who changed party should be forced to sit a by-election, but two weeks later she now no longer believes that. She did say that in the event a by-election was called that Wakeford would have her full support, which would mean the voters would effectively be given the choice between a blue Tory and a red Tory while Lucy Burke, the Labour candidate who lost to him by just 400 votes last time out, would no longer be given the opportunity to run.

For her part Lucy Burke has put out a statement that Labour should give the local party the choice to select a candidate such as herself rather than automatically running Wakeford next time out, while she did remain diplomatic and welcomed Wakeford to the party saying she believes people can change.

It made good headlines for one PMQs but it does seem to have just riled up Labour's grass roots and left the party to be attacked by both Conservatives and left of center Labour supporters who want to see a by-election with genuine candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

These guys seem surprisingly authoritarian. It's not just the case that they are incompetent, there appears to be a lot of genuinely nasty and unpleasant people in the inner core (one can only assume they are taking their cue from the Great Leader).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Possibly people with psychopathic authoritarian tendencies are drawn to the Conservative party, and they also seem to thrive in it? No great surprise that so many of them share the same selfish and brutish instincts of Johnson, the party culture seems designed to select for it.

Let's not forget that Johnson has been accused in the past of threatening to have a journalist beaten up (this is totally in the public record, so I'm not saying anything libellous here). They seems a deeply unpleasant bunch...when the regime is eventually toppled, goodness knows what stories will come out about them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible.”

― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Your chances of pocketing a few quid from dodgy expenses or brown envelopes will entice some into certain political parties moreso than others. Greens have to be squeaky clean while some in the DUP would shame some Tories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Does Boris Johnson work in that hospital now?

He has been in it pretending to be a doctor for the last two days.

When things get difficult, roll up your sleeves, head out to the nearest hospital and pretend to be doing useful things.

It gives the distinct impression of a PM who doesn't engage in any actual work and who just does PR appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

He loves to campaign but hates to govern. Just like Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The various news Channel’s sources are saying that Downing Street are worried that the report into the parties that occurred won’t help Boris Johnson like it seemed it would earlier in the week. You’d wonder whether that’s the true feelings of no10 or is it some spin to feign worry ?

Apparently an email has surfaced where someone high up warned Johnson's secretary in advance that the No.10 party should not go ahead (as per Cummings' accusation) and Sue Gray is now in possession of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The man is shameless when it comes to his PR opportunities

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is the new populism and the simple mechanic that powers it. ABC: Always Be Campaigning. If Trump knew when to STFU, and gave the bare minimum of due diligence with CoVid we absolutely would have had a 2nd term. But for the canny operator, always talking in campaign mode never requires one to Front Up; not if you're always pivoting to some new soapbox or soundbite. It's quite ingenious really, if we're honest; with politics and life becoming more and more shallow or trivial, thanks to Social Media et al reducing our attention spans, there's less focus or need to talk detail or policies anymore.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When I first heard this my first thought was they were trying to feign concern to try give credibility to the report if it turns out to be a whitewash.

"Oh we were really worried, but it turns out Sue Gray has cleared us, so we can all move on now".

But the problem is that the chancer in charge is not leading or managing. It mostly leads to dysfunction and chaos within the system and a culture of incompetence. Imagine hiring a CEO to a firm who had no interest in hard work, had little understanding of how the company works, was not even qualified for the role and was mainly interested in photo ops....it couldn't but do serious damage to the company.

The daily mirror is reporting that the report from Sue Gray is being pushed back until next week due to “fresh evidence.” Maybe the Downing Street worry wasn’t that misplaced if those reports are true.

Things going from bad to worse for the Tories. A Muslim former Conservative minister claims she was told off the record that she was fired for being 'too Muslim' and reports that the current chief whip has been making very insulting comments about rebel Tory MPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

No insults.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

After everything that's happened with the Johnson government in the past few weeks I must say it's odd seeing himself, Raab and Truss weigh in on the very serious topic of Ukraine. It's almost as if I've forgotten that, despite the recent pantomime, when everything is said and done, they are still the ones who are making critical decisions for the country. A bit like seeing the town drunk climb into the cockpit of the plane to pilot the flight you're about to board.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Drunk or not, I cannot see Johnson, Raab, and Truss instilling confidence in anyone when they make critical decisions for the state. I know it is pantomime season, but they are not serious players in international affairs, having trashed the reputation the Britain had before they entered Gov.

If they were the crew for a flight I was boarding, I think I would miss the flight.

• Advertisement

ITV are reporting that Boris Johnson held a birthday party during the first lockdown in 2020 when those gatherings were banned. I hope Sue Gray hasn’t finalised her report yet as has may need to add another chapter.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Apparently the Government are saying it was not a party, it was a work event.

Apparently Gray already knows about it.

I never knew the term “work event” had such a broad meaning. I wonder what else she knows that isn’t public knowledge ? I’d say everyone who was within 10 Downing Street between March 2020 and recently must be rechecking what the rules were at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Paul Keating had some blunt words for Liz Truss and the British govt in general over the weekend. It shows how much their standing has fallen on the world stage.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jan/24/former-australian-pm-paul-keating-criticises-liz-truss-over-demented-china-comments

Some of the choice quotes are as follows:

“Remarks by the British foreign secretary Liz Truss that China could engage in military aggression in the Pacific, encouraged by Russia’s contingent moves against Ukraine, are nothing short of demented,” Keating said in an op-ed posted on the Pearls and Irritations public policy blog on Saturday. “Not simply irrational, demented.”

“Britain took its main battle fleet out of east Asia in 1904 and finally packed it in with its ‘East of Suez’ policy in the 1970s. And it has never been back,” Keating said in comments that gained prominence when reported by The Australian newspaper on Monday. Britain suffers delusions of grandeur and relevance deprivation.”

And the killer blow:

“Truss would do us all a favour by hightailing it back to her collapsing, disreputable government, leaving Australia to find its own way in Asia.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

For Johnson, in the world of Humpty Dumpty, words can mean whatever you like.

Washington could never tell a lie, Nixon could never tell the truth, and Johnson can never tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Wow...he didn't mince his words.

But having said that it's not as if Australia doesn't have its own reasons for not being too interested in criticising China.

Well tell us how you really feel Paul. I mean he’s not wrong in fairness.

I know Dominic Cummins has said he spoke to sue gray today and gave answers to written questions and said there’s more to come about Boris Johnson, but does anyone know if he came through with the supporting evidence when he spoke to MPs last year ? I do recall one of the MPs being less than impressed about the lack of follow through after the hearing. I think personally that Downing Street can play it off as a disgruntled former advisor who hasn’t got the proof to what he claims, and given how odd of a person he is and how dislikable he is it’s easy for that narrative to take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The thing is, you've got Boris Johnson, a notorious liar, contradicting Dominic Cummings, a notorious liar. Who are you going to believe? Clearly, this is not a decision you can make based on the credibility of either witness; you're going to have to find some other criterion for making the decision.

It's very much not in Downing Street's interest to suggest that people shouldn't believe Cummings because he's not a credible or reliable person, because if they put that forward as a criterion of evaluation it pretty much torpedoes their own prime witness below the waterline. So they're going to have to find some other spin.

They line they have taken so far, in fact, is pretty much to accept the truth of the various leaks, but to argue that what they disclose is defensible or understandable or forgivable. It's not a very strong line, but it's all they've got. They have presumably considered rubbishing the information leaked as false but, the thing is, they know it's true, and they know there are a great many people (besides Cummings) who know that it is true, so there's a high risk that an "it's all lies!" defence will come back to bite them in the bum fairly badly.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So 2 more parties seemingly have been discovered that were held to celebrate De Pfeffels birthday during the first lockdown which means he's lied to parliament again.

Also apparently some downing street met officers have given pretty damming interviews to sue gray but it's seeming more and more likely that her report may have a few rounds of editing in downing st before being released.

Advertisement