Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Top man! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 radiomanmobile

What dance stations are running 24-hour operation

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

None

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if it is still on, possibly galaxy fm in kildare.

retro now as well from outside dublin if that still has an fm presence.

but really i think the days of the fm dance pirate are behind us now.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

As regards Dublin, I think Phever FM might still be kicking around on a part-time basis. Chilled dance station The Beach could possibly turn up again on 105.7 FM, but recently it has been broadcasting as oldies station Star1057. Certainly, since Hot FM stopped broadcasting some time last year, there have been no 24-hour dance station operations coming from Dublin. Edit: I forgot about Ice Radio from last year, which has also left the stage.

Is Tralee's Beat FM still going on FM and is that a 24-hour operation? That might be the only other one in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Club FM sounding excellent on Freedab in Dublin. They must have a better site as it's very steady all round Dublin.

beat is still on air i think but i cant be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Correct, Galaxy on 99.5 have been on 24/7 for a few weeks. Sometimes there are live shows, sometimes there are relays of a German dance station.

RetroNow remain on FM, operating on a part time basis.

Only very occasional Friday relays of Phever on 91.6.

We've actually lost a lot of FM dance stations. In recent years, the following were available across Dublin on FM on a full (or near full) time basis:

1025 Kiss FM, Club FM (107.1), Extreme FM (107.1), Hot FM (94.3, 91.0), IceRadio (93.2), Now FM (91.6), Phever (91.6), Trax (107.1), Chill FM (87.6), Fresh FM (99.5), RetroNow (107.1).

is it just friday and saturday nights galaxy have a live show? no live show last saturday granted.

their stream only appears when there is a live show so i only know of 1 dj on the station.

• Advertisement

Maybe it was a once off, but there was a live presenter yesterday around 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Oldies dominating in the pirate broadcasts as it has been for a while now.

I'd say this is indicative of the current situation. Too many legal FM stations focused on either the "youth" or rural markets.

Meanwhile the part-time oldies stations continue, largely over weekends:

92.0 FM - Retro FM

94.3 FM - intermittent relays of largely oldies-oriented stations

96.0 FM - ABC 80s

105.7 FM - Star1057 (assuming that it doesn't revert to The Beach)

1395 kh MW - Energy Power AM and relays of Retro FM

Incidentally, has The 90s Network called it a day for FM broadcasts? I don't think it has been on this year - I never can pick it up anyway. Also, while I think of it, has the FM stream/relay of Energy Power been back since Christmas? It was on 99.5FM before Christmas FM came on. Of course, it has been mentioned that Kildare's Galaxy FM are currently using that frequency. Maybe 99.3 FM for Energy relay - it was used before.

EDIT: This post is a follow up to the previous posts referring to the dance pirates. I did not see the post just before mine as it was posted the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Hi @Declan A Walsh - 90s Network still on at the weekends. I can get them around parts of South Dublin (especially around the ‘bay area’).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 radiomanmobile

Occasionally I switch Galaxy on

Only when I'm in the Kildare location you can pick them up only ever heard 1 live show at the weekend playing Dance Classics sounded good

But there's no chance of picking them up when you come into Dublin

91.6 I picked up dance station at the weekend signal is weak

I picked up a dance station on 99.5FM on Sunday on the M50 near Blanchardstown. I think that must have been Galaxy. West Dublin is close to Kildare.

I also picked up a weak signalled station on 91.6 on Saturday playing dance music. That would be Phever FM.

incidentally, yesterday evening I picked up a week signal on 107.1 around Ballinteer area - I could make out dance-oriented music, including at one stage I Feel Love by Donna Summer! I'm guessing that is Co. Meath's RetroNow, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It could be interesting to monitor Navtex on SDR's in the next while. On the "extension" drop down menu select "navtex". Then on the pop up, Europe, 518 and 490 kHz. There is a link there with the schedules for Malin Head, Valentia and lots of other stations which have good signals.

Navigational warnings often include information about naval exercises.

http://kiwisdr.com/public/

Very little pirate activity in Dublin today.

ABC on 96.0 putting in a decent enough signal into Windy Arbour but very poor audio (sounds like a source issue).

90s Network on 98.4 seemed slightly weaker than usual at Windy Arbour.

No Energy AM yet but I’m sure they’ll pop up over the weekend.

Elsewhere on the band U105.8 we’re trying to break through from Belfast and DublinSouths audio is still lopsided (it’s only been three weeks now!)

Picked up ABC 80s around Dublin 16 as well and the audio was indeed poor, and it was fighting with BBC Radio 4! 90s Network never reaches over this side of Dublin. Energy Power AM was on this evening alright with a good signal on 1395kh MW.

I could also pick up, just about, dance music on 107.1. I am guessing that is RetroNow from Co. Meath.

An area that is often overlooked on this Bandscan is short wave pirates around Ireland. That's probably because most of us don't have access to short wave radio. There does continue to be some activity in that area while the FM band gets quieter.

It appears long-running short wave Dublin pirate Premier Radio International (not to be confused with former pirate Premier Radio/Premier FM) is still on the go. They have a website these days and can be listened to online through it or indeed via Radio Garden, which it is available on. It is by far the longest reigning pirate going back to 1976, although it was not broadcasting throughout all those years.

So, maybe there should be some more bandscans for short wave radio stations- the often overlooked frequency these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The pirate in Dundalk is moving around as usual. Two frequencies on 02 Feb which I don't think they used before 2570 kHz and 2545 kHz.

From around 2100 2545 is very strong on the North West SDR. Massive signal in Dundalk.

HF Underground European pirates forum is a good source. They say that this is a new golden age for SW and MW pirates.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/board,12.0.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I noticed while flicking between Today FM and Newstalk yesterday in Millstreet that there was a wide range of Spanish stations coming in. There was excellent tropospheric ducting condtions between the south of Ireland and northern Spain yesterday.

The following were RDS level:

88.0 - Radio Galega Musica - Catoira/Monte Xiabre - 30kW (RDS: RGMUSICA) - 1041km

89.5 - RNE Radio Nacional (Galicia) - Muras/Monte Xistral - 20kW (RDS: RNE 1) - 955km

94.1 - Radio Galega - Muras/Monte Xistral - 20kW (RDS: R.GALEGA) - 955km

96.6 - Radio Galega Musica - Friol/Monte A Coba de Serpe - 7.9kW (RDS: RGMUSICA) - 994km

98.7 - SER (Radio Pontevedra) - Polo/Monte Castrove - 2kW - 1058km

99.8 - Radio Voz - Carballo/Monte Neme - 0.1kW (RDS: RADIOVOZ) - 970km

100.4 - RNE Radio Nacional (Galcia) - Culleredo/Monte Xalo - 60kW (RDS: RNE 1) - 975km

102.3 - Radio Galega - Moana/Monte Faro Domalo - 40kW (RDS: R.GALEGA) - 1077km

103.1 - RNE Radio Nacional (Galicia) - Santiago de Compostela/Monte Pedroso - 30kW (RDS: RNE 1) - 1012km

104.8 - Radio Galega - A Coruna/Penamoa - 1kW (RDS: R.GALEGA) - 961km

105.1 - RDS showing as SOLRADIO but there is nothing with this RDS in N. Spain - radio is caching old RDS

106.6 - RNE Radio 5 Todo Notocias - Muras/Monte Xistral - 20kW (RDS: RNE5-LU) - 955km 

106.6 was by far the strongest and on par with local stations. The 100W signal on 99.8 was very impressive to be at RDS level over that distance.

Last night in Cork Harbour, the Brest powerhouses of MUSIQUE on 89.4 and BLEUDROM on 93.0 were romping in. The other 2 stations from this site (95.4 & 97.8) are cochannel with local signals.

Slim pickings over this weekend but here is what I picked up in my travels around Dublin:

92.0 - Retro FM

94.3 - Relay of Charity Radio (up until about lunchtime yesterday)

96.0 - ABC 80s

107.1 - Unidentified weak signal playing dance music - presumably RetroNow from Co. Meath

1395kh (MW) - Energy Power AM - Paul Murray was presenting live this afternoon and taking requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DublinsABC

ABC 80's

has moved to test on 94.1 was not on 96 today but was on Saturday ..Will be testing on 94.1 next weekend if anyone can have a listen ..Thanks studio@abc80.ie

Post edited by DublinsABC on

Assuming that it will be the same area of coverage, 94.1 FM should actually be a good spot for two reasons I can think of:

1. No more interference from BBC Radio 4 on 96.0 in some areas on the southside.
    2. The relays that pop up every so often on 94.3 FM tends to be strong around the areas of the southside where ABC 80s would be weaker signal-wise anyway, and I think they might just co-exist okay around the Dundrum/Ballinteer area.

Thanks will see how it goes over the weekend

Quick heads up .. my suspicion is that 94.1 will get hammered over a lot of South Dublin by the community station in Dundrum on 93.9.

i would think that as well.

the last station i remember using 94.1 eventually moved to 94.2.

As long as it’s not the other way around we at the moment go mainly north wards and the audio will be monitored not to over mod and the tx is new and super clean as when it was on 96 I could still get 95.8 95.7 and 96.2 all locked on . Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Is this anything to do with the station called Dublin's ABC which was on FreeDAB until recently?

Advertisement