Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Member "No Shows"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Its an interesting subject as I joined a line of 3 last year and they were all sound lads and they usually always play as a fourball..One of them had a quiet word and told me one of the lads has a bit of a temper and not to pay any attention to the inevitable club throwing. They preferred to play as a four as the guy was their mate and didn't want people getting distracted from their own golf.

It didnt bother me but its just another reason some guys block book the 4 slots on a line..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Have to admit to being a little on the fence on this one. I can totally see the frustration of turning up to find nobody to play with or not getting a game but 3 groups never showed up. At the same time I can see how someone might think "....I pay €1k a year to play my hobby/obsession and I want to be able to choose who I spend my Saturday with...."

I think if a club has waiting lists then its a big no, no. If the timesheet is pretty open, then less of an issue. Like someone mentioned above the context is important and each club will be different. We're lucky, or unlucky, depending on how you view it, in that our timesheets are not full, and the members in general would be very accommodating. I'd never not go up just because I'm not on the sheet, I'd almost always get out within half an hour or so. I know at the time I play there'd be say, 4 lines on the sheet with the same 4 names on each line all the time. Would all 16 players turn up ? Sometimes, but not 100% of the time. However we'd mix and match if say only 2 turned up on one line, someone would drop back and we'd have two 3's, if that makes sense. Nobody hanging around on spec would ever be left.

Of course it is wrong not to turn up, but as I get older I can see how you mightn't fancy it when you look out and its p1ssing down and blowing a gale at the last minute and decide "nah, feck that". I'll play with anyone, at least once anyway, but there's one group of oul lads I know who want to get round in 2h 45m more than they want to shoot a good score, and the last thing they want is some randomer going through his routine, pacing yardages, using his rangefinder from 50 yards, holding them back 😁😁. I can see their point too without fully agreeing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I understand the points you're making but don't even agree a little bit with them! It happened to me a couple of times that I wanted to play in a midweek open. The timesheet was nowhere near full, but there were no spaces next to anyone. So I'd have no-one to sign my card. I went out to the club anyway, didn't fancy waiting around too long and ended up playing on my own.

As for people doing it on a Sunday because there's always slots left - still completely unacceptable. People like playing early in particular. I'm annoyed at the thought of having to take a 12pm tee time so that lads can play in 3s early on. And just going out to the club to slot in somewhere is not something people should have to do. Waiting half an hour isn't the worst, but it's an unnecessary inconvenience.

If someone wants to book one or two extra spaces so they don't have to play with others I think they could make a good case for it if they pay a couple of extra memberships. But even then, I'd say consideration for your fellow clubman should overrule that. We've all played with people we didn't particularly like. But it should be part and parcel of being in a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Oh I don't really disagree with much of that. My main point is that, purely IMO, its not always as black and white. From what I see, usually one guy in every group does the booking and he books the line, the lads arrive on Sat morning and sometimes they're in the car park wondering if Joe is turning up today, or one of them will say they got a text last night and Joe won't be coming. Its not ideal and its unfortunate if someone couldn't get a game that would have liked to play at 7.30am with them, but it happens. Its not so much that they're booking "blockers" per se, its just that's the way things have evolved. We're never going to have a situation where every name on the sheet turns up, even on a Captain's Day.

I know one club that only allow a single player to book a single slot, not a line. My friend was a member and hated it because he could never depend on being able to play with his friends as they'd all have to be online at 6am on a Thursday, booking on the same line and hoping that nobody else was trying for that line too. Personally I couldn't stand an arrangement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That makes complete sense really, to play better with strangers because you will be concentrating that few % more on your shots. Worst thing though about strangers if you’re having a good round is the immediate ‘Jesus you won’t be off that handicap long anyway’ type person who you know will be straight into the lads saying how you’re a ‘bandit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

A lot of clubs have a 6 or 7 am booking time for the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

"Strangers" = Other members

I like to meet and play with as many other members as possible as part of a "Club"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

This is pretty insightful. I'm in my 40s. In my Dad's generation everyone knew everyone else, the idea of being a member meant something. My age group in the club is similar, but a little bit of a sign of cliques emerging, particularly with new members who know existing members and being happy with that small group and not understanding the idea of club. The age group below me seems even more like that, which is not great. I'm a member of another sports club which is completely different, great sense of club.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

I’m pretty shameless when it come to getting myself chucked in with 2 or 3 balls when visiting other clubs when on holiday / travelling for opens , only once detected a little bit of annoyance when I rocked up- couldn’t give a flying ## ** to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This is one of my pet hates, our course always has a waiting list for Saturday and Sunday comps but without fail come competition time you will see groups of 3 going around from lads putting their mates down because they didn't want the spare spot been taken up with someone they didn't know! I was on a waiting list one time and got a phone call late on Friday evening from the club house to say a slot had come up first thing Saturday morning for the comp so I said yes put me down. Rocked up on to the tee box that morning and one of the guys in the group was absolutely disgusted that his mate had taken himself off the list and hadn't told him. Barely looked at me the whole round as if I did something wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 act0fgod

For those of you at clubs that charge for no show or late cancelations, are there exceptions for poor weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Only if the comp is called off - otherwise it would be up to members to decide what they feel defines poor weather

I am lucky enough to live close enough to the course to go over and see if the others on my line want to play or not - if we agree to not play and the comp goes ahead, we still have to pay the comp fee

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Absolutely crazy stuff. What are they doing on the course - the mind recoils! Like most, I have my buddies that I play with on the weekend but frequently enough I find myself on my own. Rock up and play with whoever is on the tsheet. Never once have I had any issue with that and, frankly, I'd be disgusted if I did. It's a round of golf, FFS, not a marriage. Unless the person is a complete a**hole, why would you have a problem playing with them? Do unto others, etc.

No shows? You have to pay the competition fee, and maybe a bit extra. It's so simple and obvious, I'm amazed all clubs don't do it. And I'd worry about any club that doesn't do it, tbh. Why allow or even encourage bad behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

No shows at our place get a 2 week suspension, which is enforced. Would support stronger measures for multiple offenders if it happens.

At a friend's club, they also have a 2 week suspension. But they have just brought in that a second no-show is a 6 week suspension and for a third offence your membership is up for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I actually think that is the best way to deal with it to be honest!!! It would quickly put an end to this block booking craic if suspensions and membership reviews were the punishment for the offenders. As far as I am aware there is no punishment at all for no shows at my place!

Advertisement