Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Some of the comments here on Russia are interesting, some are a bit... well you know yourself. I myself think that the current Russian regime and its power brokers are opportunists. Opportunists that care not an iota for the civil populations anywhere in the world.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That's a good point actually Russia has not experienced the kind of terrorism that comes from an angry population that can easily cross your sizeable border with them and has virtually nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They are currently using the T90 series of tanks , which they boasted was near unstoppable, except in Syria and ukraine where suffered losses

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

US CIA and other country secret ops would never allow this to happen as it would result in possible uncontrolled escalation

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Housefree

By your logic they must have allowed 9/11, how can they stop a small group that they have no idea about doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm seeing an interesting blend of far-right and far-left people on twitter supporting the Russians in all of this, for completely different reasons:

• Far-Left: Will oppose US foreign-policy regardless of the details. Basically their attitude is if the Americans are on one side then the other side must automatically be in the right - no matter how vile they actually are. You see this a lot in Momentum/Corbynista types. In the past they have used this same logic to support Nicolas Madura in Venezuela and the Cuban regime. Of course the ones taking this way of thinking to a whole new level are our very own MEPs Clare Daly & Mick Wallace. They've openly backed the Chinese Communist party and Syrian dictator Bashar-al-Assad
    • Far-Right: They love Putin. He's the archetypical authoritarian strongman. He's anti-LGBT, Anti-feminist, anti-immigrant, pro-christiantity, clamps down hard on the media and political opposition (to the point of incarceration and assassinations) loves projecting a masculine image, fetishises the military and on and on.....

I think they call that the Horseshoe theory. It's certainly interesting how complex this situation is. Personally I've never been able to make up my mind what to think about Putin and Russia. You just never know what info is reliable or not. I admire his patriotism and commitment to traditional family values. But I'm not a fan of some of the dark arts he practices and certainly no a fan of repressing minorities. Churchill had a great quote about Russia being a mystery and it applies just as well today as it did back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There was a thundering gobsh1te on Joe Duffy. He's stopped short of saying we should fire missiles armed not with war heads, but with love. Send love over there. We need more love.

Yes. That will work. I can already hear the tanks heading back east already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They weren't gone for long

And from the recent exchange of armored BCTs as one from 1st Cav left Poland to be replaced by 1st Infantry.

The 1st ABCT, 1st ID is deploying with approximately 3,800 Soldiers, 80 tanks, 130 Bradley Fighting Vehicles, 10 Bradley (Variant) Fire Support Team vehicles, 15 Paladins, 500 tracked vehicles, 850 trailers and 1500 wheeled vehicles and other pieces of equipment. The 1st ABCT’s equipment is also arriving at ports located in Gdansk and Gdynia, Poland and Klaipeda, Lithuania, in addition to the port in Alexandroupoli.

Again, if anyone is mistaking my commentary here, it is just sidebar for discussion on NATO. I'm not expressing any opinion about US military involvement in Ukraine, just commenting that the US is already well prepared for armored operations within Europe.

@Manic Moran what's your opinion on optimal ground conditions for tanks to operate in harsh and muddy conditions thats been raised a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Actually they did, and Putin used that to originally come to power. The Chechens carried out attacks on apartment blocks in Moscow and blow up several, there was a massive school shooting and hostile crisis in an opera house. They were the larger incidents, there were many many more smaller ones.

It's widely believed the Chechens didn't bomb any apartments blocks , FSB did under the guise of given putin the reason he needed to start the 2nd Chechen war

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Just a show of force and publicity stunt.

It wouldn’t be photographed for the media if this equipment was being prepared for armoured operations.

Military operations are planned in strict secrecy with news blackouts.

And how do you hide 100,000 + men and thousands of armoured vehicles, artillery , missles in 2022 especially when everyone has a smart phone and the ability to broadcast to the world..

Answers on a postcard

With respect to Russian military options, this is worth a watch for two reasons, even if it's now a week and a half old.

Firstly, because Michael Kofman is a very well regarded analyst of the Russian military. Secondly, because of the painting over his shoulder.

Some points to note given earlier discussion on this thread.

1) The Russian army is not a seasonal army. If they want to attack in mud, they can attack in mud. This is not 1941, Russian artillery does not have impact fuses which bury in mud before detonating, they are not trying to support their logistics with 2-wheel-drive Opel Blitzes. They know what they are doing.

2) The 100,000 troops is only the personnel currently there. A lot of the shipments of vehicles have been without personnel, they are just moving a lot of additional hardware. That can sit there for a while without too much cost, whilst being able to be reasonably quickly reinforced. The signature of trouble will be the movement of additional personnel and supporting equipment like medical, logistics, etc. As of the time of recording, a full third of the Russian army's combat equipment was in the vicinity of Ukraine, with more actively moving.

3) Russians are not worried about an insurgency. They have ample experience of dealing with them, to include, as it happens, in Ukraine after 1945. Russian counter-insurgency technique is not subtle, it's not acceptable by Western humanitarian standards, but it works.

4) What we in the West 'see' and 'interpret' is not what the Kremlin 'sees' or 'interprets'. Even if the Russian military decided to say to their bosses "this is a bad idea", the decisions are being made by politicians, with their own pre-conceptions and biases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

English is not my first language and I never made any secret about it. It seems you understand what I said anyway since you decided to check grammar instead of points I made.

Without knowing anything about you I would guess that my command of english could be better than your knowledge of irish. Which is kind of sad when you think about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

You are correct, in fact there was a journalist from the Australian Broadcast Corporation on the piss in Moscow one evening who saw what knew to be ex kbg goons leaving an apartment block shortly before it blew up, and not long before Putins first election victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but it does not matter what kind of drive you have, rubber tyre's or tracks, they all need a solid base to work on. Unless they can get purchase, they cannot move and will dig themselves deeper and deeper into the ground. I've seen 8 wheel Tatra's, all live drive with balloon tire's dig themselves into the sand in the desert. Same with track machines, they can also get bogged down too, in muddy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭iwasliedto

All tanks are vulnerable these days to modern anti tank weapons. Look at what happened to Turkish tanks in Syria, American tanks in Iraq and Israeli tanks in Lebanon. No tank is safe these days, the Swedish systems and the Javelins would make short work of an tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭iwasliedto

Stinger missiles are air defense , they would not knock the paint off a tank let alone cripple one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MFPM

Nah the 2020s came calling and suggested the rules of engagement may have changed but the intent from imperialism is the same...walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...it must be.....

I accept your resignation from te debate, in fairness you were struggling.

Where did I say Putin was good? My primary contribution here is to highlight the hypocrisy of US and British imperialism and their lackeys not least those in this thread.

Would you rather the US as the leading superpower or would you prefer Russia or China?

Because that's the decision. This looney left idea that somehow if Russia or China were the lead superpower they would somehow be neutral actors throughout the world is absurd.

No superpower is perfect, but I'd choose a system that sides toward the US and Britain than Russia or China.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah USA is completely messed up. But at least he has a pretty free media compared to the other two. Also, Elections. Fair better in USA then the other two. Sometimes you'd wonder what be going through some people's heads.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

Russia isn't a superpower they are a regional power with nuclear weapons and a sense of paronoia ....

They slid down the global power ratings and on everything from economy to military power

Ahh not true

But the likes of Israel and America have updated their tanks with the ability to defeat Anti tank weapons ,it's called learning ,as stated look at Russian tank losses from Afghanistan , Chechen wars , ukraine and syria they lost more than America in Iraq to afghanistan over 20 years .

Your more likely to be stuck by lightning several times over than your going to get killed inside an Abrams tank

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

Interesting read about Nato expansion in the years after the Berlin Wall fell.

• Advertisement

Depends on how you quantify a 'win'.

The war started because of a desire to leave Russia. Putin can today look at a map and say "They are still within Russia" and "We have Chechnya's oil entering our economy." They don't care if it's a brutal regime (Seems about par for the course for countries Russia wants to be friends with), and they don't care if it's officially somewhat autonomous because Kadyrov is very much Moscow's man.

You may not look at it as a win, but the Kremlin seems quite happy with the current situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement