Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes in Phoenix Park

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

bazermc wrote: »
    Some amount of inconsiderate car parking in Phoenix park this morning. Cars parked in the on road cycling lane on Chesterfield avenue.

OPW was out dealing with it but not sure what exactly they can do if anything.

I was cycling home through the park today at about 14:00, I'm normally much later. Probably near 100 cars parked in the Chesterfield Avenue cycle lanes (both sides of the road). No sign of OPW or guards so a free for all of inconsiderate drivers.

Cycle lanes have been great but such abuse needs to be stamped out immediately to keep it at bay. Seriously needs a more permanent barrier than a few cones.

Have one driver some abuse who was crawling along the road looking to park, hundred yards later he had pulled into said cycle lane and beeps at me because cyclist in a park are the problem apparently.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FWIW we headed up to visit my recently late father and brother in Glasnevin Cemetery today. Whilst there is always some illegal parking, I've never seen so many cars parked illegally; half in the active bus lane, half on the combined footpath & cycle lane. Never seen anyone get ticketed there though despite the designated parking areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Park was lovely and peaceful this morning. Very few cars and joggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

From another cycling forum: If anyone is training in the Phoenix Park, just a warning that one of the Lucan Cycling Club fellas had his bike taken off him at knife point near magazine fort in broad daylight. The rangers caught the thief and got the bike back but still worrying.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to hearing the usual anti cycling brigade on Pat Kenny in the morning so.

Instead of discussing the merits pro and cons of the plans, it will no doubt turn into a moan fest about cyclists and why oh why are they not all squeaky clean like their fellow car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

30kph limit proposed also. Assume that doesn't apply to bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm open to correction here, but my understanding is that speed limits do not apply to bicycles on any other road, so not sure why they would here.

Speed limits apply to mechanically propelled vehicles, bikes not falling under this category. Neither are they obliged to have speedometers, so not sure how cyclists would monitor this speed

1) The Minister may make regulations prescribing a speed limit (“ordinary speed limit”) in respect of all public roads, or all public roads with such exceptions as may be specified in the regulations, for any class of mechanically propelled vehicle

11.—The following section is substituted for section 47 of the Principal Act:

“47.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle at a speed exceeding the speed limit

*Edited to add relevant legislation*

Cause we don’t pay road tax 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

isn't it the case in road racing that there's a rule that cyclists must obey the road law? i.e. you don't get a derogation from obeying the law simply because you're racing.

i wonder are there (m)any circuits used in club leagues where you would stand a reasonable chance of exceeding the speed limit. would be kinda ironic to be disqualified from a race for going too fast.

Seriously? That's gas. Obviously not an issue for car rallys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Speed limits apply to mechanically propelled vehicles, bikes not falling under this category. Neither are they obliged to have speedometers, so not sure how cyclists would monitor this speed

So they would apply to electric bikes, then? And presumably e-scooters?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

Escooters are currently having legislation drawn up to deal with them.

Ebikes don't fall under the heading of mechanically propelled as long as you have to pedal to make it move. The motor makes it easier to pedal (up to a certain speed) but the bike can't move forward with the motor alone, i.e. not mechanically propelled

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never been in a race so someone else would have to confirm; from what i've seen in any i've passed, the roads during a race are stewarded, but not closed, for club races; so they wouldn't have any authority to suspend normal laws, i assume.

for car rallies, i guess they have to close the roads and go through a lot more rigmarole for them to be arranged.

Advertisement