Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d run it through as-is. They apparently are failing some (rightly or wrongly) on front wishbone bushings which is a ruinously expensive job if you’re to do it by the book (as in Honda want to sell you a front subframe for €2500)

there is a cheaper way to do it but actually finding the bushings on their own is difficult.

there may be rear beam rust as well which is another potential show stopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Probably cheaper to be a polybush kit, daft as that seems.

Yeah, the bushes are part of the subframe. I nearly dropped when they gave me the price. I’m surprised the aftermarket aren’t covering it. I can pass on the details of the motor factors that got the bits if needed

the ones that bolt in are about €50 but it’s the other one that’s hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can you remap a car to make it more economical? or is it best to leave it be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

didn't they have to recall the fiat 500 for remapping because whatever way it was mapped, it didn't deliver enough power to be useful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Plenty of people doing remaps these days, they claim to make more power,better fuel economy etc. Would personally take the claims with a pinch of salt but definitely go to someone that knows what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would imagine that if car manufacturers could tune their cars for the most efficient fuel economy possible at the factory then they would as it is a great selling point as well as lowering emissions. I've had numerous cars remapped and it's always been for better power delivery as engines can be sedated a bit to meet stricter emission ratings. I'd say changing your driving style would probably improve mpg over a remap imo.

Funny you say that, I had a 500 for a week in Lanzarote a few years back and I felt like it was dreadfully underpowered. I figured there was some "rental" map on it to stop people driving like idiots but maybe it needed this recall.

I had driven a few in work before hand with the same engine, way more poke.

They had some emissions based fuel saving trickery done to get the 1.2 compliant for Euro 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Got my carb refurbed there in 2015, shocking work done to it. Missing screw on autochoke, it wasn't even that shiny. I would stay away from them.

• Advertisement

A memory popped up on my Facebook today, 8 years ago my sister took a picture of ever Mini she saw on a two mile walk around Glasgow's West End.

27, says a lot of the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

After 4 months of ownership I learn yesterday that the back seat is about an inch out of alignment due to previous owner bending the hinges inwards with the front electric seat 🤦‍♂️

Need to figure out the best way to bend it back out without damaging anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

if you are driving in the opposite lane, at least slow down and/or turn on the indicator.

shocking really.

YKI9 WDZ

On a solid white no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Legal to cross a continuous white line to pass an instruction - in this case a parked car. Has to be done safely of course.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Can I get a few bob for a scrap car? I’m getting a newer car for my wife and the garage offered me a sum of money off! I’ve put a deposit on the car and they say they will take my old car off me to scrap it or I can keep the car and they’ll still give me the same amount of money off! It’s a 2005 Peugeot 407 2 litre diesel estate !

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is there something wrong with it? Does it have a NCT? A scrap yard will probably only give you €100 to €150 for it but if it's running ok and has some NCT on it then you could get €500 plus for it on donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

It’s running OK, needs an injector seal and a sensor is gone leaving ABS ESP light on. NCT is out two months didn’t even notice until I was putting new tax disc on it last week. It’s sad to see it go it has NAV, leather, automatic xenon’s, voice control, built in phone, very high spec, but I don’t have the time to sort it out! I’ll probably just take the €150! I’m in Louth, anyone know where the nearest scrappie to me is?

I think the price of scrap is at a high point now, have heard of figures like €350 for a car.

problem the salesman might have is the garage may have a house charge, ie a set charge that is billed to each car that comes into the place, could be most of the value of the 407.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thanks for the advice again. I ran it through and it failed on lambda emissions and hole in the exhaust. Also on a light but I presume that's a handy fix. Would I be right in thinking the lambda fail and exhaust fail are linked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Depends on where the hole is if it's before the sensor then yes after it then no.

Lambda is calculated by the test machine, a hole anywhere in the pipe will effect the reading based on the amount of oxygen read at the probe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The hole is directly beneath the driver seat, there is a box/silencer there (haven't a clue what it's called). That would make it before the sensor I think? I didn't get to talk to the tester

Forget what I said. The NCT put the sensor on the exhaust tip so yea the hole may be causing the bad lambda reading.

The exhaust on the civic hatchback is unusual in that it runs along behind the drivers side sill and not down the middle like on every other car.

That's mad. So is there no tunnel in the back to get in the way of a middle passenger and perfectly flat like a EV?

Yeah, the petrol tank is under the front seats too.

Thats the reason the boot floor is so low, and how there’s space under the rear seats (which also fold really low into the rear floor or just fold up)

there is a slight hump in the middle which I’d guess is for rigidity.

They were really thinking outside the box developing that gen Civic. Never knew that about them and I can see why it was always said to be futuristic. I thought it was just the outside they were talking about when that was mentioned.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they’re such a practical car, will take 2 washing machines in the back no bother, and if you’re bringing lengths of timber, the glovebox goes all the way back to the firewall, so just open the glovebox :)

Way better thought out than my current car, but ultimately let down by the not-great seats and harsh suspension that I never really realised was as bad as it was until I sold it.

Advertisement