Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

If we ever see snow again in Ireland it will be all over the Greek news.

Headlines: RARE SNOWFALL IN IRELAND. 🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've said it before and I'll say it again. North Africa, Spain, Greece, Turkey and the Levant get more snowfall more regularly than us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ireland and Portugal can be taken as a pair of countries on the extreme western edge of Europe which rarely get proper snow and as a whole both countries have the least amount of cold weather and snow every single winter. Every other european country gets colder snaps more regularly than Ireland with Scandinavia to Italy and eastwards taking the lions share most winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

Let's not forget that lack of snow is impacting ALL of western Europe. The weather will do what the weather will do.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

But even an average to mild winter up to the 1960s could deliver snowfalls.

For example snow lay for a week at Dublin airport during February 1960 in what was a very average winter.

There were heavy snowfalls in January 1958 also an average winter.

Ireland along with Scotland and Denmark showing up as the mildest parts of Europe along with Portugal and south-western parts of Spain. Greece is colder than parts of the artic circle. Much of the continent frozen including many mediterranean regions. Even places like Libya and Algeria in North Africa and Syria, Lebannon and Jordan starting to go colder than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I trimmed the lawn today because it was gone wild. I don't think the grass stopped growing. It was bone dry so I said here goes. Let the mower up to the last and tidied it up considerably.

Certainly a January first for me

Seven Worlds will Collide

My garden is looking fairly wild too, wilder than most winters just that it's dry rather than a marsh. Definitely there has been some growth at various stages throughout November, December and even this month with temperatures often above 10C and close to mid teens over the Christmas/New Year period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭pauldry

This Winter will probably have a late sting. Though while all that snow is in Greece it may be late February or March before a proper pattern shift. It'll prob be 3c on many days in March. Then April to August will be cooler than normal and back to mild and cloudy for the next 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

We had roll out turf laid end of October when we got our garden done, it was cut right down before it was taken up by the turf company.

It's now well settled in and badly in need of a cut, tempted to chance it this week!

As posted in current conditions, we've had 7 sub zero air frosts here in Arklow and tonight is our 12th ground frost

My Davis temp sensor suite is 6ft off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I have seen bees in December and again the other day. Shows you how mild it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Dare I sow some grass seed next week? Soil temps seem fine (>6°c)

Should be fine if the area gets decent sunlight, otherwise give it another month or two.

The grass will be growing again soon. Temperatures will regularly hit 10 to 13C over the next week, perhaps even higher in places. The start of February could be very similar to the start of January with extremely mild weather initially followed by something cooler or colder eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Fingers crossed it will be colder and not cooler. Would love an arctic blast in mid to late February to coincide with my week’s annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭OldRio

Showery and damp this afternoon. Feels rather cool in the wind.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Cornerstonelad

Best leave the grass sowing until April or March, if it is comes mild,. Sowing now, days are short soil temp is marginal, germination time is longer, birds are hungrier and may eat seed. If it germinate it might just sit there and make slow progress. A good two weeks later in spring and it will progress rapidly. We might get some real 'weather' yet and tender young grass will then look a sorry sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

first bit of proper wind here in Dublin in a while, and 11c at night, in January, not much of a winter this year at all so far

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ChinMusic21

I'm loving this calm no wind winter so far and hoping it continues into spring and summer (Prays to the sun gods)

I believe it got up to 16c last paddys day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well it won't continue unfortunately for you. There a more normal set up for February though parts of the South may not see as much rain.

God loves a trier, I think it shows long range forecasting is a complete waste of time.

I don't buy into the idea that if you don't try u'll never succeed. Weather is just so complicated with countless factors influencing it, I don't think we'll ever be able to forecast accurately beyond a week or two into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I don't think anyone could have predicted this winters outcome. Winters like this one don't happen very often, I think the last one was winter 1991/1992. Just about every winter forecast I've read or watched went for similar thoughts towards 2010 and blocking and all forecasts have been a bust this winter, even the mild and wet ones. The forecasts were working out well until that spoiler low from the Atlantic smashed our hopes and dreams into pieces as we were starting to line up a very cold and potentially snowy Christmas season. If it had worked out and the lows stayed well to our south, perhaps this Winter could have been something very different to the snorefest we have sat through up to now.

A few youtubers are having a rethink about doing long range forecasts in the future after this Winters epic fail. Everyone got this winter wrong so I don't think anyone should feel bad about it and carry on doing long range forecasts as quite often they do get the seasonal forecasts reasonably correct. Winter however will always be the toughest season to predict as the Atlantic and PV will always work against us in terms of cold and snow no matter how good the signals are and the setup of the ocean.

I disagree that season forecasts are reasonably correct generally. Sure somebody might get it correct but read 10 forecasts for a season and they will usually vary quite a bit. I don’t think anyone would have even predicted on the 1st of Jan that this month would be so dry and devoid of weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Possibly worst winter ever snowbie wise?

Will February change that ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement