Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard Pat Kenny enthusiastically plug the cash machine this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It's a head wrecking competition and is pure gambling.The sooner it gets banned along with all other gambling advertising the better (lotto included).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But what about those poor wheelchair users who want to go fishing? 🤔

Sadly text competitions are plugging funding holes left right and centre so unless you want to put everyone in radio on the same wage as a teenage shop assistant it's here to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

It’s worth a huge amount of money the last few days in fairness. If any presenter didn’t sound enthusiastic about it, to be honest I’d think badly of them.

I wonder if much/any of the Cash Machine profits is being reinvested back into the stations. I saw on Dec Pierce’s Twitter account that the Today FM studio seemed to have been upgraded, which is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

How would shilling the cash machine make Joe Duffffy feel if he had moved to Newstalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

Matt Cooper was doing a piece on gambling advertising last week and he read out a text saying the cash machine is gambling ,from the sounds of it Matt can’t wait for it to be banned too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If it kept him in the wages he's become accustomed to, I have no doubt he'd promote it.

He seems to have a strong dislike for the national lottery anytime it comes up on his show

Are you plucking this from thin air or have you inside info. I find it hard to believe a radio station can't turn a profit without resorting to this nonsense.

Hits Radio in the UK have the exact same competition but it’s called the Cash Register. Only difference I can see from the T&Cs is that their one opens at 3:10pm and closes at 3pm the next day, where as the Cash Machine closes at 3pm and reopens at 5pm here.

I don’t know how much of a profit the stations were making (if any) before Bauer took over but it must turn a big profit if they brought it in here. They even advertised a job a while back for an administrative person to manage the competition.

• Advertisement

I think it's unfair that you have to answer your phone within 5 rings to win, 5 rings doesn't seem like a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many entries do you get for 2.50? Is it until it's won?

I was looking at the odds of matching 4 numbers on the lotto on paddypower and it's 7000/1. You'd be better off doing that. At least with that there can be more than one winner. The odds on getting match 4 in the lotto are 1 in 918. Much much better odds than trash machine I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yes, it's until it's won. So you might get one entry for your €2.50, you might get several, until such time as there's a bank holiday or something and they go "And it'll definitely be won this Friday!" and keep ringing people until someone answers.

Are the match 4 odds 7000/1 or 918/1? It costs you €2 and you can win maybe €50. Or, I guess, €19 million if you're really lucky and the jackpot hasn't been won in months. The cash machine thing costs you €2.50 and you can win €5k to €50-something k. We don't know the odds but given the average prize pot increases by over €5k a time, anything over 3000 players/day is profit. They seem like not terrible odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anyone else having problems entering the cash machine competition??😗

keep getting 'message not sent' when i text to 57599, i'm on three mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Just on the cash machine thing, I heard something yesterday saying they'd given out 'X' amount in January, where 'X' was over €100,000. I think it was actually over €180k? Would be interesting to find out how much it generates in profit for Bauer, but I imagine it's at least the same again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think the chance of winning a prize in the lotto would be 918/1 but on paddypower, match 4 is 7000/1. I'm comparing Paddypower lotto match to the cash machine because both are full win only. i.e if you pick 4 numbers on PP, then even if you match 3 you win nothing. Similarly, if you're not selected in the cash machine you win nothing.

I think it's better odds to enter the paddypower match 4 numbers in the lotto to be honest. At least that way there can be multiple winners. There can only be one winner on the cash machine.

I’ve heard of a couple of mates having this issue in December when they did the Christmas Cash Machine but I’ve no idea why. One of my mates had entered ten times in the month and thought they’d blocked her from trying again!

Would you try another stations word to enter? They all have the same cash amount so if you get the call, you’ll still be winning the same prize. For 98 you text CASH as far as I know, and Spin is SPIN (easy to remember).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wah? you mean spin, 98fm, newstalk are all in this together?? as in one cash prize amongst all stations??😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

All the stations owned by Bauer Media are doing this cash machine thing. The clue is the statement along the lines of "you will be ringing across the Go Loud network". It's the same "cash machine" and same text number, despite each station referring to is as their cash machine. It is usually Barry Dunne of 98FM that makes the call at 3pm. A lot of listeners who only listen to a specific station on this network may not realise that it is not that station's own cash competition!

^^^^

but Newstalk's competition text number is different?

• Advertisement

What's the Newstalk text number? They should all say 57599 I think

No, I just looked it up. 57599 is the Cash Machine text number for all the stations. That would be different from Newstalk's own textline for anything else. Incidentally, Spin103 is the only one that I could find with a different message - SPIN: all the others including Today FM say CASH. I don't know if Spin South West is running it, but I would have thought it was.

Newstalk's says 'WIN' and the text number is..53106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I don't listen to these stations - but some listen to a few of their stations and you'd think they would be consistent in their text wording and numbers

It looks like we have a culprit on this thread who used to really annoy Ronan Collins. Ronan once said that whenever he'd run a competition on his show with the 57xxx no, bucket loads of people would enter using the 51551 request number, no matter how often he'd remind people to use the 57xxx number.

The same specific number IS being used for the "Cash Machine", as I was explaining to Fryer. It is different from the normal text lines for each station.

They say it repeatedly:- "accross all stations on the Go Loud network" or something along those lines. I listen to all 3 stations at various times through the day and there's no denying they say it.

This type of gambling does my head in and is becoming rife.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

yep, and yet Matt Cooper last week had the gall to have a topic about 'problem gambling' and then 15 mins later did the cash machine rigmarole😏

• Advertisement

Yeah it's shocking. It's digging it's heels in for sure. The only thing that will stop it is legislation.

Advertisement