Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I would say men are hugely under represented in nursing, childcare and national school teaching, but there isn't anything done about it.

There's a cost for society here, loads of men would make excellent nurses but never even consider it. Years ago in America there were efforts to get more women into construction and men into nursing, but I've never seen anything like that here, which is a pity.

There are inequalities faced by both genders, and in fairness nature doesn't bestow periods or child birth on men. However, there very rarely is any focus on particular male problems. There's deep shame around erectile dysfunction and it's used as a punchline regularly on TV shows. Suicide is largely a male problem, while prostate cancer is a huge killer, comparable to breast cancer, but all of these issues don't receive the care they deserve.

i've no answers, there are lots of female issues too, but it seems to me that male issues don't matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭iptba

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags/items I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)

(Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

I also threw in some other posts as I didn't want to post too much.

Telegraph Fashion

'Why I can't imagine anything worse than being like a French woman'

#Ibelieveher

#IStillBelieveHer

The Economist

Why nations that fail women fail

Business Insider Tech

Meet the 23 top women in gaming, esports, and streaming who have broken through in a male-dominated industry

Female octopuses throw objects at males who harass them!

The Wall Street Journal

Facebook knows Instagram is toxic for teen girls

#InternationalDaughtersDay

Jake Gyllenhaal: ‘Women? They’re superior to men’

In an interview with the actor, Gyllenhaal discusses what women have over men, The Great British Bakeoff and, er, Baked Alaska.Photo via @thetimes

#SheWasJustWalkingHome

Telegraph Music

MeToo, the music video: the disastrous legacy of Blurred Lines

Sexism set to sink womens' bid to become Japan's first female prime minister

The world celebrates International Day of the Girl

Trending with #DayOfTheGirl

The Wall Street Journal

October 18, 2021

Teen girls are developing tics. Doctors say TikTok could be a factor.

Plain-clothed officers in London to video call colleagues for identity verification when stopping a lone woman

#athenaswanireland

#PeriodDignity

Didn't trend but I thought I would mention:

Twitter ad:

Women’s Rights in Healthcare is back on 7th October!

https://twitter.com/leighdayhealth/status/1442818609735155716?s=11

SPONSORED

Sponsored content is premium paid-for content produced by The Irish Times Content Studio on behalf of commercial clients.

Successful careers for women in construction at one of the country’s top retailers

As one of Lidl’s most senior construction managers, Dubliner Sorcha Hynes explains what it’s like to flourish in a historically male dominated industry

Sponsored byLidl

https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/lidl/successful-careers-for-women-in-construction-at-one-of-the-country-s-top-retailers-1.4722742

I’m reading the charity supplement in the Irish Times. Among other things, it mentions people can give Christmas presents of gifts to Trocaire’s Women’s Empowerment. No mention of a similar option for Men’s Empowerment on a quick look https://www.trocaire.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy4eNBhCaARIsAFDVtI0pdEui92uFrTiSGS3dFU5h_GlL6SUuYcT8gPoqlSC8CUK2Ig9sPJYaAgZlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Great news.. An Post have eliminated the Gender pay gap.. well actually women now earn more but that’s ok isn’t it.. that doesn’t count if women earn more.

• Advertisement

One of the features of the pandemic has been their absence.

We know that, internationally, women have suffered disproportionately across a whole range of domains, from caring to careers.

🙄

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/mask-wearing-for-kids-another-reminder-of-the-gender-divide-41116879.html

‘Why should we feel afraid?’: How to stop violence against women

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/why-should-we-feel-afraid-how-to-stop-violence-against-women-41115343.html

While the keychains provide some security and empowerment, she acknowledges she should not be making them — and women should not feel the need to buy them. The fact of the matter is these keychains are not marketed towards men.

That doesn't mean men are not at risk.

One can similarly argue that people shouldn't have to spend money on house alarms. One can easily spend over €10,000 (after tax) over a lifetime on a monitored house alarm.

It would be great not to have to to spend the money but deviants of one type or another are likely to continue to exist. I don't believe there is a burglary culture in Ireland, where burglary is widely condoned, but burglars still exist.

I'm guessing there is no similar program aimed at helping men that has EU funding.

https://www.focusireland.ie/knowledge-hub/research/

20/02/2021

REGAL Ireland Report No 1: Analytical

REGAL (regaining life for precarious women at work) is an EU-funded project which involves organisations from five European countries. It investigates the possibilities of achieving a better work-life balance for vulnerable groups. As project partner Focus Ireland conducted research with sixteen women with children who have experienced homelessness or housing insecurity. This analytical report outlines the context and conditions in Ireland while also exploring some of the findings and experiences of the project and the work undertaken in the focus groups.

14/02/2021

REGAL Ireland Report No 2: Aspirations

REGAL (regaining life for precarious women at work) is an EU-funded project which involves organisations from five European countries. It investigates the possibilities of achieving a better work-life balance for vulnerable groups. As project partner Focus Ireland conducted research with sixteen women with children who have experienced homelessness or housing insecurity. This report follows REGAL Ireland report No 1: Analytical and outlines the findings and experiences of the work undertaken in focus groups and qualitative interviews in more depth.

https://www.focusireland.ie/knowledge-hub/research/

Charlie Bird admitting to ‘crying every day’ is incredibly brave and should be applauded

---

It quickly occurred to me that The Late Late Show is more than light entertainment, it is a bizarre national confession box and Charlie Bird’s decision to go on as a guest proves that he does not suffer from toxic masculinity, that condition adopted by so many Irish men of attempting to avoid confronting illness.

---

He has admitted to crying every day since his condition was diagnosed.

What he is doing, in going on a flagship national television show, to talk about it, is incredibly brave.

Apart from anything else, he is exposing his vulnerable side, the side that most of us Irishmen prefer to keep hidden.

---

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/charlie-bird-admitting-to-crying-every-day-is-incredibly-brave-and-should-be-applauded-41137429.html

I agree that what Charlie Bird is doing is admirable.

However I dislike the term "toxic masculinity". It's not a neutral term: the equivalent term "toxic femininity" is very rarely used, even though there are pressures on women/girls. That's presumably because it would mean that a particular behaviour is seen as toxic while women would object to their behaviours being seen as toxic.

Men may have good reasons to be cautious about complaining about ill-health and showing their weaknesses. For example, we have the "man flu" trope: a stereotype generally promoted by women that men complain more easily about their health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It has nothing to do with pressures on women ye eeg it. 😅

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with pressures on women ye eeg it. 😅

Not sure what you are saying?

I never said toxic masculinity was anything to do with pressures on women.

Just to be clear in what I'm saying. "Toxic masculinity" may sometimes be described/seen as pressures on men to be a certain way/not be another way and so some people sympathetic to men might like it and think supporters of men should be happy with the term. However, I (and other people too) think it's more than that as otherwise we would hear "toxic femininity" as there are plenty of people who are quick to say there are pressures on women to be a certain way/not be another way so if that's all we meant, we'd hear "toxic femininity" a lot more. But we don't generally hear "toxic femininity". If people disagree, why do they think "toxic femininity" is rarely used?

Edited to add: if people want to complain about pressures they see men have on them to be a certain way/not be another way, that's great. I (and some other people too) however would prefer if the term "toxic masculinity" wasn't used.

Post edited by iptba on

The two appeared alongside Spider-Man: No Way Home costar Jacob Batalon on Friday's Sirius XM Town Hall, where they talked about the "ridiculous" societal expectations placed on straight relationships.

---

After Jessica clarified that she viewed height constraints on women and men as "misogynistic" and "problematic," Zendaya and Tom agreed — the latter calling it a "stupid assumption" that it would even be an issue. "This is normal too," Zendaya added. "My mom is taller than my dad. My mom's taller than everyone."

---

https://www.buzzfeed.com/natalieoganesyan/zendaya-tom-holland-height-difference-stereotypes

I'm not convinced misogynistic is a suitable term here: I think a lot of the preference in dating for a man to be taller comes from the woman herself more than from the man or from society.

Just to go back to this point about toxic masculinity versus toxic femininity. This is what was in a national newspaper:

It quickly occurred to me that The Late Late Show is more than light entertainment, it is a bizarre national confession box and Charlie Bird’s decision to go on as a guest proves that he does not suffer from toxic masculinity, that condition adopted by so many Irish men of attempting to avoid confronting illness.

I think it's less likely they would have published something like the following with the genders reversed:

It quickly occurred to me that The Late Late Show is more than light entertainment, it is a bizarre national confession box and Charlie Bird’s decision to go on as a guest proves that she does not suffer from toxic femininity, that condition adopted by so many Irish women of attempting to avoid confronting illness.

I happened to be looking at this website https://shop.designist.ie/ and noticed the following:

"female run Irish-owned"

I think if a company said "male run Irish-owned", they could be criticised, but somehow this is okay?

Similarly, if the company said it was run by a lot of other other specific segments of society, it might be unpopular.

On a separate note, I see they are selling these. Can anyone please tell me, what is the fascination with the poolbeg stacks, it's a power generating facility ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Madness how powerful the trans lobbies are. They are dominating feminists at many levels. The other thing is the irony how we don't have a national strategy/discourse on male suicide yet McEntee is filling her time with the "trans women are women" psychosis.

“Why more women identify as sexually fluid than men”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59661306

This article with quotes from feminists and the like claims it is because of fragile masculinity and rigid gender roles for men that fewer men are sexually fluid than women. While it may be the case that more men will come out as bisexual and similar, I think a lot of men will remain exclusively gay or heterosexual (maybe excluding any experimental phase): I know, to speak bluntly, I have a strong desire to put my d*ck in one orifice but zero in an orifice of men (the idea even seems bizarre). I could easily see the reverse being the case for other men. I think even as far back as Kinsey they found men were generally either a 1 or 6 on a six-point heterosexual - homosexual scale while more women were in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ireland’s national strategy on suicide prevention is overseen by the Dept. of Health, the HSE and National Office for Suicide Prevention, wouldn’t really have anything to do with the Dept. of Justice or Helen McEntee -

• Advertisement

Getting boys reading: Read aloud to them, if they want it, no matter how old

‘It’s assumed boys read less, so publishers publish less, so they read less’

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/getting-boys-reading-read-aloud-to-them-if-they-want-it-no-matter-how-old-1.4748908

Children’s Books Ireland has a novel approach to matching books with readers. They run an event called The Book Clinic. An expert in children’s books – a book doctor – talks to the child one on one and “prescribes” books based on what they’ve enjoyed before. If they’re not a reader, the doctor will take their cue from the activities they enjoy.

---

Getting boys reading: Top tips

Let your child see you reading. It doesn’t matter what: the paper, fiction, nonfiction.

Don’t make value judgments about reading material. Nurture a positive attitude to reading and make it a part of their day that they can enjoy.

Talk to them about what they’re reading. What was the book about? What were the best bits? What didn’t you like? Get them to recommend their favourites to their class or their friends.

If they want to give up on a book that they can’t get interested in, let them. Reading is a subjective experience. Everyone hates ploughing through a book that just doesn’t grab them.

Let them know they can read whatever they want, and help them find something that suits their abilities and interests. The Children’s Books Ireland website is packed with reviews, reading lists and guides.

The local library is an incredible free resource with books, ebooks and audiobooks for all ages – not to mention motivated professionals who can help match a reluctant reader with a brilliant book.

Separate reading for fun and reading for school. Don’t make it a chore, or a punishment.

Read aloud to them, if they want it, no matter how old they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am not sure what library they are referring to when they say

"motivated professionals who can help match a reluctant reader with a brilliant book."

it is definitely not my local one anyway. Reading for fun for kids is a habit. Everyday since mine were born they have gotten a story at bedtime. Books are a natural part of their life. It is like anything else - if it is repeated over and over and it is fun they will adopt it. If it is forced with little or no buy in from the parents it will last a week or 2 and then disappear.

New plan aims to correct imbalance in Irish athletics coaching

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/new-plan-aims-to-correct-imbalance-in-irish-athletics-coaching-41209850.html

To help correct this imbalance, Athletics Ireland this week launches its Women in Sport Strategic Plan, which aims to increase by 10pc the number of level-2 and level-3 accredited female coaches each year until 2024, which will be done through identification, recruitment and development.

The document goes far beyond coaching, and will also target participation levels with the goal of getting 1,500 participants in its ‘Girls Squad’ programme, which is aimed chiefly at transition year students. The 6-8-week programme offers teachers and students various resources on how to get involved in athletics, with tips on everything from warm-ups to strength training to handling their menstrual cycle, and Irish internationals Katie Kirk, Orna Murray and Ciara Neville are among the contributors.

“We’re not trying to make Olympic champions but we want them to have a new-found appreciation for all things athletics, and to have the confidence to go out for a run,” says O’Hora.

“We met with some students who took part in the ‘Girls Squad’ last year and at (the age of) 16, they’re finally able to say, ‘I actually would go for a run around my estate now, because I have the skills to do it.’ It’s equipping them with the skills and the confidence to do a little bit more.”

Another area targeted is female representation at governance level. While 52pc of Athletics Ireland members are female, 33pc of the board is female, which is due to increase to at least 40pc by 2024.

“I‘d like to see the numbers have actually changed (by 2024) with the representation on our boards and committees,” says O’Hora. “That we have a robust pipeline of women coming through and that the women I saw in 2020 are still there.”

Not proposals I think I have a major objection to but just thought I would highlight another initiative aimed at helping women/females; by comparison, there seem to be very few aimed at helping men only in some way.

Pay-walled. She could have made the same points without bringing gender into it:

The cycling activist men of the internet are a fantastic example of the flaws of modern protest

Ellen Coyne

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/the-cycling-activist-men-of-the-internet-are-a-fantastic-example-of-the-flaws-of-modern-protest-41211069.html

(UK)

Calls to male sexual abuse helpline double in 2021

More than 7,000 calls, texts and emails were received by Safeline's male helpline in 2021 - more than double the number of 2020.

It's one of several services the charity runs for survivors of sexual abuse, and has seen a huge rise in people reaching out for help.

Article only mentions LGBT victims though that wouldn’t necessarily mean none of the abusers connected to the 7000 calls were female.

Not important at all but I thought it was a little interesting the way the "largely female workforce" was mentioned:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/public-service-unions-welcome-restoration-of-working-hours-recommendation-1.4773194

The Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO) also welcomed the move saying it would help with the retention of nurses and midwives.

“The additional hours have disproportionately impacted our largely female workforce,” said general secretary Phil Ní Sheaghdha, who said the measure had pushed many nurses and midwives into part-time work.

“Since 2013 the addition unpaid hours have had a considerable negative impact on morale, and the retention of nurses and midwives within the public health service.”

---

There would be other professions that are mostly male, but I don't recall seeing similar comments about men and such sectors with regard to working hours, pay, etc. Probably talking about female "victims" is more likely to get sympathy than talking about male "victims".

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Mens Development Network run a helpline - they do some great work

https://mensnetwork.ie/male-advice-line/

New plan aims to correct imbalance in Irish athletics coaching

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/new-plan-aims-to-correct-imbalance-in-irish-athletics-coaching-41209850.html

To help correct this imbalance, Athletics Ireland this week launches its Women in Sport Strategic Plan, which aims to increase by 10pc the number of level-2 and level-3 accredited female coaches each year until 2024, which will be done through identification, recruitment and development.

The document goes far beyond coaching, and will also target participation levels with the goal of getting 1,500 participants in its ‘Girls Squad’ programme, which is aimed chiefly at transition year students. The 6-8-week programme offers teachers and students various resources on how to get involved in athletics, with tips on everything from warm-ups to strength training to handling their menstrual cycle, and Irish internationals Katie Kirk, Orna Murray and Ciara Neville are among the contributors.

“We’re not trying to make Olympic champions but we want them to have a new-found appreciation for all things athletics, and to have the confidence to go out for a run,” says O’Hora.

“We met with some students who took part in the ‘Girls Squad’ last year and at (the age of) 16, they’re finally able to say, ‘I actually would go for a run around my estate now, because I have the skills to do it.’ It’s equipping them with the skills and the confidence to do a little bit more.”

Another area targeted is female representation at governance level. While 52pc of Athletics Ireland members are female, 33pc of the board is female, which is due to increase to at least 40pc by 2024.

“I‘d like to see the numbers have actually changed (by 2024) with the representation on our boards and committees,” says O’Hora. “That we have a robust pipeline of women coming through and that the women I saw in 2020 are still there.”

Not proposals I think I have a major objection to but just thought I would highlight another initiative aimed at helping women/females; by comparison, there seem to be very few aimed at helping men only in some way.

Similar type story:

One of the GAA’s pioneering female coaches Elaine Harte says it’s up to all stakeholders to “make the pathway easier” for a greater number of women to become involved in coaching.

Among the findings of a survey published yesterday and dubbed “the largest ever coach development survey undertaken in Irish sport” was that there remains an underrepresentation of females involved in coaching Gaelic games.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/harte-calls-for-action-as-just-20pc-of-coaches-are-women-41231036.html

GAA coaches are volunteers (except those perhaps at elite level who may get some money). The more volunteers the better but hopefully there won't be too much discrimination.

Independent.ie e-newsletter:

Toy story

Bill Linnane loves toy shopping, as, like all men, he lives in a state of eternal boyhood. Obviously, you wouldn’t think it from the outside, as he says he looks like a decrepit wreck, but in his mind he is 13 years old and running free. (Premium)

---

I love toy shopping, as, like all men, I live in a state of eternal boyhood

Bill Linnane

https://www.independent.ie/life/family/pare Allnting/i-love-toy-shopping-as-like-all-men-i-live-in-a-state-of-eternal-boyhood-41230498.html

Not losing childhood innocence, enthusiasm, etc. could be a good thing, but this wording is a bit insulting and I doubt we'd see it as a headline in a national paper about women.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/what-are-the-tweets-that-doug-beattie-has-apologised-for-1.4785449

What are the tweets that Doug Beattie has apologised for?

The Ulster Unionist Party leader has been criticised for using racist and misogynistic language

[..]

Asked about a tweet from 2011 which defined men as having two traits, “hungry and horny”, he said it was “not funny, it’s not right” and he would have to stand in front of the women in his party and explain it to them.”

--

That particular tweet seems more offensive to men than women, but no sign of any apology to men or talk of it being misandristic

Post edited by iptba on

Advertisement