Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Berrettini not looking the nailed-on winner he was in the first 2 sets any more.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

She's an inveterate drama queen, always has been. She can make Ostapenko look poker-faced, although Osta has the better range of facial expressions (actually, no-one can hold a candle to Osta on that score).

Well, well. To a final set we go, and Monfils gets the Brucie Bonus of serving first.

Where a player levels from two sets down, I think it's a 50-50 as to who will win the final set, statistically speaking. It's clear that Monfils has figured out Berrettini though.

Well she's been very well-behaved this tournament from what I've seen, and I've watched all her matches bar the last one!

I like watching the Women's tennis mainly.. does be almost hypnotic at times 😎,, there's usually a bloke on comms though, which is a major downside - pity about that 😃... A right marathon going on now,,, 2 1/2 hours duration in a Women's match equals (from the lady pundits) "how on earth are they still going?!" 😂 Same duration in a Men's match = nothing out of the ordinary timewise 😏

Long road back for Monfils from here......

Monfiles seemed to lose his concentration about halfway through that opening service game, despite being 30-0 up. Since then: 22-3 in points to Berrettini.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Artengo must be thrilled to have taken Monfils away from Wilson/Asics. They have to be thrilled with that exposure for their brand.

Glad Berrettini got through, but needed 5 sets like aa hole in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I hope Rafa smashes Berrettini, Medvedev and all the doubters in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Love to see him get the 21 slams to annoy all the Federer fanboys!

All those so confident about Nadal should rush to the bookies then to put their money where their mouth is!

Nadal available at 3/1 for the title

Medvedev is 4/5 and hasn't even made the semis yet

(he disposed of FAA 6-4 6-0 earlier this month in Australia but I suspect FAA might hope to do a bit better here in the 1/4 final)

Shapo couldn't follow up yet again - fun to watch when on song with his backhand but at nearly 23 with only a single 250 title to his name and with Alcaraz still 18 it's hard to argue against the ideal that Alcaraz has a far bigger likelihood of a more impressive career

His First Serve Percentage was too low at under 60% and his ratio of winners to errors was about 1 (53 - 51) where for Nadal it was over 1.4 (41 - 28)

To beat Nadal you need to have the capability to be consistent in the rallies (like Medvedev) and also a consistent (and bonus if also damaging) serve is helpful

For reference in that in-the-end tough 4-set match with 2 breakers against Cressy Medvedev had an astounding 6 to 1 winners vs errors (60 - 11)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Would be fascinating to see Nadal win it and stand alone with 21. I think most people just assumed Djokovic would get there first and extend an insurmountable lead, I doubt many thought Nadal could do it first. Still a tall order at his age and looking at who could be left to play, but if he reaches the final I think he'll win it.

If he doesn't win here though we could be in for quite a RG, assuming Djokovic plays. Imagine a final between the two of them both fighting for #21 and a place in history, would be quite the storyline.

Is the reason there's so much nonsense being talked in this thread that simple?

Nadal getting to 20 is probably the best achievement of all 3 of them so far. Nadal has always had a prime Federer or Djokovic (or both) to deal with. Look at the duds who were in the top 10 early in Federer's career. He gobbled up 5 or 6 slams when there was no one to challenge him. Djokovic got 20 with Federer more or less over the hill for a significant period also.

there's even a thread for that.

haven's seen any reference to any big 3 Overall Record here until the other Nadal supporter brought up Federer

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057836001/federer-v-nadal-v-djokovic-etc-mod-note-1st-post/p17

I do think that it's really time that Nadal concedes that the Head-To-Head record vs his hair is never going to turn back in his favour

Pretty sure that he's tried a few transplant efforts but they just aren't working

Shave it and ditch the headband ffs

Although the headband is a vital part of his OCD 26 move wipe, scratch and pull routine for every point so there is that...

Shapo called out the stuff that Nadal opponents have had to put up with for many years again to the umpire and in the presser (starts off about breaks and then goes on to talk about the delay on EVERY point in the game)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Didn't see the match but I thought Nadal had generally got a lot better at all the time wasting antics. Or at the very least umpires were calling him out on it more.

Just as well i wasn't hung up on seeing the Nadal/Shapo match - Sky/Eurosport failed to record any of the three programmes I'd set, hoping to cover it all 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭poppy37

I’m not a Federer fan boy but I would like a new winner of the men’s singles. I was glad to see Shapavolov call out Nadal’s slowness between points and the length of the break between sets four and five, we have heard plenty of talk about the new bathroom break rules but little follow up on them. This week has already seen Krejcikova go over time because her necklace broke apparently. There was some suggestion today though that Nadal had an injury assessment so maybe that accounts for it. Nadal’s tone in his press conference was very patronising towards Shapavolov though.

I too would prefer to see Cornet beat Collins, Cornet is a monumental drama queen but entertaining with it, Collins is just unlikeable full stop. Cornet also deserves credit for being the first to speak out about Peng Shuai. Collins has already been a semi finalist here though so she probably has a slight edge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its about time Nadal is getting called out on the time wasting. Slow down the server's game is ridiculous, umpires should warn him early and keep penalising him for it. Bad enough he takes over the time on his serve. How he gets sportsmanship awards with that carry on is beyond me.

The dastardly doubles duo providing some unexpected success and entertainment for the locals to get behind in a lacklustre enough tournament so far

• Advertisement

Don't agree with your sentiment with regards Shapovalev. Alot of the youngsters are built up and flatter to deceive, but I think he's the real deal, most others aren't, just needs to really break through.

He's like a young Roddick in terms of power, but has real variety, not a one trick pony.

Most young players are now taller, bullied their way to the top with one or two weapons, but as we see are quite limited. Shapo is average height, got here off the back of an all round game. Once he puts it all together, could see him handing out a few tankings to the likes of Medvedev et all

would have to very much disagree there vis-a-vis Shapo and Roddick comparisons

Roddick as player was 2 stone heavier than Shapo (which is a very significant amount in tennis) and had a way bigger serve

Shapo is much more mobile around the court as a result

Also Roddick famously had one of the worst backhands ever seen on a top 5 ATP player and with Shapo it's his most famous and effective shot

The odds are against Shapo being a multiple-slam winner or even a single slam winner as if you can only manage to win one 250 level tournament and now in your 6th year on tour the odds are against it

It's not the WTA - it's hard to win a slam on the ATP and you have to show form in advance

Even Nadal who won a slam very very early in his career had won six ATP titles before his first French Open!

There is a big difference between making a quarter final or even a semi-final and winning it and that extra level of consistency is a big jump

Tin Henman made 6 Grand Slam semi-finals in his career and was world no.4 but never really came close to getting a slam

When I make the Roddick comparison, it's in terms of the forehand, and the power. I did say otherwise Roddick was a one trick pony by contrast. This guy carriers even more power overall in his game tbh, never really seen anyone else like it

Shapovalev is still young. But the difference between him and the other young players is that I think there's still huge room for improvement, whereas with the others not so much.

Your quite hung up on his one win, but maybe once he gets over the line with a real breakthrough he'll go from strength to strength. It's not him alone from the young guys who have underachieved due to mental weakness. He is steadily improving.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't a multiple slam champion, very.

I too would be delighted to see someone new break the stranglehold the big 3 have had on titles for years and years (and yes, I'm sure there has been the odd exception over the years, before someone leaps in with stats!).

I'm around since the Borg/ Connors/McEnroe days, but even back then they didn't seem to dominate the way these 3 have.

It's all a bit boring and predictable (if wildly impressive).

I'm pinning my hopes on Berrettini, I'd love to see him finally get a big win under his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hoping Nadal does not win this title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

they are just very different players.

have never heard anyone compare them ever before in any context.

obviously they also play forehands on different sides and Roddick is two inches taller at 6 foot 2 (Shapo is barely above 6 feet if even in reality according to real reports) aside from the other afore mentioned differences of weight, mobility, quality of backhand and serve.

and in reference to winning tournaments if you don't have a record over over 5 years of winning in even ATP 250 events with a field of only 28 players which might not have even 1 top ten player in the field in total (and that's a player ranked 8 to 10 that you might not even have to face) how can you expect to win a Grand Slam where you're going to have to beat 3 or more top 10 players along the way in a field of 128 players with more rounds to play, including the best in the world*?

it's just very very unlikely because it's simple logic

He only beat one Top 10 player in the whole of 2021 and that was the brief period when Bautista Agut was ranked 10 (a solid player, not a proper Top 10)

That was his firth year on the ATP tour

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/denis-shapovalov/su55/player-activity?year=2021

So why would he out of nowhere beat 3 or more better players in the one tournament than the 1 player that was the best that he was able to beat in an entire year?

That trajectory is just not being shown.

*unless a government kicks out the actual best in the world of course!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The trajectory is showing. He's going further in slams than he was. Also his peer group were generally a year or two older in tournaments, that's starting to level out now.

In Wimbledon and this tournament, he outplayed two 20 time grand slam winners. Didn't have the nerve or experience to see either out when the pressure came, but that could come. He showed more resilience under pressure against Nadal than Djokovic so possibly improving mentally.

Most of his peer group are tall, and are where they are on that basis alone. If Medvedev or Zverev were smaller they would be hammered if relying on technical play. Shapovalev can go head to head with Djokovic and Nadal, meet them on their terms in rallies, and trade. Infact only for inexperience and nerve, dictated play to both.

You generally seem to have an issue for any player being praised if it's not Federer, always a criticism. I don't remember his game being all that consistently great before 23. I know who my money would be on if a 21/22 year old Federer met Shapovalev. Federer would be tanked imo

Also the only thing I'm comparing Roddick and Shapovalev on is they both have/had a powerful game

• Advertisement

that makes even less sense then really as that is a trait that many players have in common -

it's odd to compare 2 players on just one aspect when pretty much all other aspects are different.

I'm not a Federer fan in the slightest - don't know where you got that

What actually happened yesterday is that Nadal was cruising to the win when the heat and some sickness (nearly at the point of puking on the court and had to take stomach tablets) really got to him and his standard collapsed in sets 3 and 4. He was loping around the court

Shapo upped his game yes which was pretty dire in the first two sets where it looked like the occasion got to him ( and was instead doing stupid things like saying that all umpires were corrupt to the umpires face which is just dumb and is also completely losing focus on the task at hand) and he couldn't perform as a result but it was more about Nadal being basically ill in sets 3 and 4.

But actually Shapo failed mentally in the end as he really should have closed out the match against at that point the sub-par Nadal and having the momentum but couldn't, blowing break points that he had on Nadal's serve. Finally, whatever about smashing a racquet - doing it after you've lost match point is NOT the time to do it.

So definitely not improving mentally

He actually blew an excellent chance to get to the semi-finals but failed precisely by losing it mentally which is the very sort of trait that is going to stop Grand Slam success

‘Destroyed’ Rafael Nadal staves off sickness as Denis Shapovalov explodes after match point

“I was completely destroyed after that very warm day. I didn’t practice for it,” Nadal said.

“I started to feel not very well in my stomach so I just asked if they can do something.

“Everything was alright on my body but I took some tablets to try and improve the stomach problem I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Barbara Schett's replacement in the Eurosport studio is absolutely brutal, actually makes me wish I was watching Catherine Whitaker before a Cam Norrie match.

For those who didn't know who was going to beat Sinner, now they surely know as that was a cakewalk in the end in a match that Sinner was favourite going in.

Utterly clinical from Tsits, 4 break points converted out of 4 created. That's really very impressive stuff.

Sinner didn't have a single break point chance in the match

Done and dusted in under two hours.

He can chill and rest up for the semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nothing in this wide earthly world would make me wish I was watching Catherine Whitaker.

All happening in the Medved - FAA match

A break (for FAA) and an immediate break-back at the end of the first set and it's into the tie-break

Medvedev hits 2 double faults in the breaker and can't recover and FAA takes it 7-4

Match on here. Medved a bit off at the moment for sure.

Looks like FAA has taken serious exception to the final-set bagel that Medved put on him a couple of weeks ago

There are one or two particular Aussie punters shouting for FAA vocally in-between every point, particularly on the Medvedev serve and it's really annoying him.

Not sure at all if they are bona fide FAA fans really with the "funny" ways they are coming up with saying "Felix"

Looks like a couple of the "Low IQ" Kyrgios gang are here on a mission to get to Medvedev for his put-downs and it's working.

They are pretty annoying to be fair.

Of all the annoying gobshites around the world, the Aussie gobshites are perhaps the best at being the most annoying!

Medvedev is off his game and FAA has a break up

Medvedev is in big trouble

FAA has one foot in the next round. I thought Medvedev had this tournament in the bag?

FAA is playing very well (serving is good and returning) and Medvedev on the other hand since the tie-break has been off

FAA is a very good player but Medvedev thus far always had his measure easily enough

Those arses in the crowd have timed their mocking support / jibes at Medvedev and got to him to go on top of his less than 100% play

Then very quickly with a break at the start of the second set that held he's two sets down.

Long road back.

Medvedev was heavy favourite here as he crushed FAA in a best of three match less than 3 weeks ago.

Apparently Medvedev has only come back once from 2 sets down

• Advertisement

I'm presuming that's the dark-haired french girl? She's awful, very hard to listen to.

And was actually practically dribbling when doing a post-match interview with Nadal a few rounds ago.

That Cube stuff is pretty cringe-making overall.

In other news, they really need to move the mikes away from the ballboys (generic) or move the ballboys away from the mikes - the panting is practically pornographic!! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do goons in the crowd ever get removed during a match? Can the umpire insist on someone being kicked out, or can they tell security to up their game or the match will be suspended? It seems to me, that by not taking a firmer stance, TA are saying this is ok.

I've been to a few sporting events in Australia, the mindset is different there than here, there's quite a bit of shrill/whine and Medvedev would not have been far off with some of his earlier comments.

James Keothavong tried to have some drunken eejits removed in the Berrittini/Monfils match last night. Not sure if they actually went in the end, but the match was held up for a few minutes while stewards were talking to them.

Starts raining in the tie-break just as Medved has a mini-break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Advertisement

Medvedev starting to look more like Medvedev

Love the squash shot from the corner

Even before the brief rain stoppage a couple of errors had been creeping into the FAA game over that set compared to before

Medved's serve still not firing but improving

Will see how this 4th set goes now...

defiant come-back from 0-30 down on serve there from the Med to go 2-2 in the fourth

FAA holding serve with ease tho and hasn't faced a BP since the first set.

The crowd numpties were back jeering Medved on 2nd serve right as he was in the service motion of hitting it and he DF's for a match point for FAA at 30-40 5-4 up

Then Medved went into clutch mode and reeled off 3 points to go 5-5

Fooking ice-cold blood in the veins

Now creates the break and takes it, will serve at 6-5 for the fourth

was 40-up, the punters go at him on the serve again (just keeps going), a couple of loose shoots and it's deuce

Then an incredible net point from Medved to save going BP-down and he serves 1 big and it's 2 sets all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Some match. All the play for in the fifth. FAA isn't out of this but he needs to dig deep and just take the shackles off you feel.

What a shot!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement