Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

the passenger booking have fallen off the face of the earth because of Government Policies on passengers coming in from UK.

Also - the UK is a basket case with the virus and anyone would be made mad to risk travelling over there for a short/break etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Paring back of STN and LGW on certain days in Jan also. Was always traditionally quiet but I guess there's an additional complication!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Omicron and government restrictions are killing their bookings . They're pulling back their schedule everywhere in January. Further cut backs could occur if the situation doesn't change.

They also announced projected losses of between €250m and €450m today which is higher than their initial projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Negative antigen test requirement looks like it will be removed from tomorrow, this combined with the isolation period reduction will hopefully see Ryanair proceed with full schedule again from February...

• Advertisement

Aer Lingus are due to increase the freq on SNN LHR next month as well. Hopefully they as well as FR can operate full schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Does anyone have any info on the SNN BHX route by Aer Lingus?

There are some destinations on Aer lingus website where it says for Shannon no schedule confirmed yet. This isn't even an option for Birmingham so I would guess no prospect of a flight this year anyway. I would hope Ryanair will expand schedule from twice weekly at some point though.

Anyone have any information on London Luton this Summer?

I expected it to be on Ryanairs schedule for the year but surprised to see it ends in March but is 9 times per week from both Knock and Cork

Seems to be off sale for the summer as well as LPA. Hopefully both return for W22/23

Aer Lingus seem to have extended JFK/BOS through the W22/23 season as well. SNN should have two NEO based from March. They will also still operate the morning LHR next winter as well.

• Advertisement

Are you anticipating NEOs will be used for Heathrow shuttle or is anything else possible at this stage.

Website does include Barcelona and Paris with schedule not announced but unfortunately that is probably a legacy of 2019 routes rather than anything more interesting.

Looking at landscape I'd hoped one or 2 more routes may be added in advance of season starting but not too optimistic at this stage.

I’d say it will be LHR, JFK & BOS on the NEO for a while. There’s no A320 based in Shannon anymore and I’m not sure that will return anytime in the future.

Maybe they could re add them down the line but not priority at this stage id say.

That makes sense. I guess there is 1 A320 based in Cork and after that you are looking at Dublin.

From the alternative European carriers Lufthansa and KLM seem the most likely but obviously nothing yet.

Yeah Aer lingus have 2 in ORK. There was 3-4 there so ORK has lost a/c as well.

Would be nice to see SNN AMS with KLM. The E175 is good size aircraft

It is indeed. There seems to be a push for Paris too based on Shannon group media activity. Hopefully one of mentioned 3 pays off soon.

Hopefully. AF have good size a/c that could fit a SNN CDG route. Its a pity SNN CDG with Aer Lingus didnt get off the ground.

The new Chair Padraig O Ceidigh said a few weeks ago that discussions with other airlines on routes from SNN where going well. His aim is to get SNN back to 2019 levels in 3 years so hopefully.

Sounds like AA will also return in 2023 on the SNN PHL route

Hopefully the American routes go well this summer. It sounds like Air Canada to Toronto is also possible in 2024 too.

I do think that that northern European route is important for the airport. I haven't seen too much from Padraig yet but good to hear discussions are going well.

I’d agree. A CDG or FRA returning would be good.

SNN LTN is returning in March instead of 01 Feb. Hopefully FR can bring the rest of the schedule back from 01 Feb and no more canx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Shannon airport has plenty of potential it going to take a lot of work though esp to change the publics midset. Population is surely growing in midwest and west of Ireland. While the green bus direct to dublin airport is great it makes people lazy when booking flights. Working in limerick it does annoy me when youd hear people getting the green bus to get a flight to London. With the motorway developement M7 and Limerick to Galway it should be a more atttractive looking alternative to Dublin airport. Even though its on the national development plan its more than likely a pipe dream but the Limerick to Galway railline should have a stop where you change for shannon and have a line running though the industrial park onto the airport.

Having moved back to north tipp from cork 5 years ago Im starting to use shannon now more than cork where possible. I presonally perfer to use either over dublin. Just less traffic and then parking closer to the airport as a female traveller sometimes solo travelling is just feels safer getting from terminal to car. Would also be handier for people travelling with young kids.Last two trips were to Edinburgh and Lanzarote in 2019 The flight information board the day of the Lanzarote flight really struck me. I know it was mid oct but for 4 hrs after our flight there was only 2 other departures. Was sad to see.

Would love to see Shannon/Toronto get a chance. Good Irish community in Canada should be demand for it. Also Toronto is fabulous to visit in autumn time esp around Canadian thanksgiving. Its hard to describe but Canada does autumn really well. Good promotion on both sides is needed. Really need to tap into the likes of Irish group even get onto GAA clubs over ther (yes groan if you want) to plug such routes on their social media accounts to get things going

As well as some European routes shannon really should be pushing the runway lenght for long haul flights instead of just competing for european routes with Cork airport..

Long term for shannon i think there is potential to look east for example a Dubai flight. The upcoming census could be interesting in this regard. You just have to look around the midwest to see is recent years the population from India that are living in the midwest working for HSE, northern trust, firsev in nenagh to name just a few. On top of that its a stopover for Australia, New Zealand and many honeymoon destinations (even that market returns) not to mention the amount of Irish working in Dubai .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would anyone know if Aer Lingus ever have a Shannon to Faro or Malaga route? Have vouchers that we are wanting to use and would rather go from Shannon than Dublin if possible. And the prices for Cork have gone up over €100 return over the last couple of weeks (for end of May)

I believe they've historically flown from Shannon to those locations

Thanks

• Advertisement

No idea, but you could do what I'd do and go to their website, type in Shannon as your departure airport and see if either of those are in the list of possible destinations airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hiya - Ya they are 'possible' destinations, but no flights are there when you select dates.

Assuming that probably means there's always the possibility but not gonna be a schedule at this stage for the summer

Have seen possibles.

Chat up above between Avgeek and I is on similar topic. The 2 planes at shannon from March will be maxed out by LHR, BOS and JFK so I wouldn't expect anything.

Ryanair fly to both from Shannon.

I'm not expecting a change from Al but if there was to be a change it won't be for a route serviced by Ryanair already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Malaga and Faro were done by Cork aircraft and crew on W rotation. Given how reduced operations are there this summer it won't be happening. For future years who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So a no for flights to be announced from SNN to FAO? Guess I'll be heading to dublin then

The full schedule from FR seems to be resuming next Tuesday. LTN returns in March.

Ryanair’s W22/23 schedule has started to be loaded onto the app as well. SNN so far has a similar schedule to this winter including LPA returning on 05/11/2022. TFS/ACE back at two weekly and weekly FUE.

Some good news I missed, Air Malta will be running the Budapest route for Ryanai, they code share with quite a few airlines. I think this adds a little bit of connectivity for the middle East and Africa.

This is based on a Shannon Airport tweet.

The summer season on website references this service being 5 times per week.

Shannon is not listed on air Maltas website but Ryanair are flying to Budapest twice per week for the summer according to app.

I'm not sure what is going on here.

Also Malta not listed on shannon summer 22 list but there are flights.

Post edited by Tiernster7 on

I think the airport meant Malta Air. They are part of the FR Group. Probably why its not on Air Maltas website.

Malta air don't seem to have a website themselves , makes things even more confusing

• Advertisement

Ryanair, Ryanair UK, Buzz, Lauda and Malta Air flights are all only bookable through the Ryanair website.

Advertisement