Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I like your phrases, don't change!

What about the family members that insist on antigen tests before you visit?

Covidiots was another one.

I knew someone in their late 30s who went shopping and when they got home, wiped down all the groceries with dettol, then took off all their clothes and put them in a high heat wash and then jumped into the shower for a good scrub.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I actually know someone who gives antigen tests to family who live under the same roof, after they've been out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

My best friends mother in law was one of these people who got totally freaked out by COVID. Part of that older generation who only get their news from RTE and the radio so obviously during the pandemic that meant fear in extremis.

Even when allowed to go out and about wouldnt. If her grandkids had friends or cousins over she would avoid seeing them for at least 10 days after, Christmas dinners, sunday dinners dropped at the door. Missing grandchildren birthdays even though they didnt have parties but family might visit and drop presents etc. Even when allowed go to funerals of her own family members and friends didnt.

So her daughter rings her about 2 weeks ago to see how she was, she only lives over the road but wasnt keen on people visiting even family, especially without prior warning. She gets off the phone and says to her husband she sounds like she has COVID symptoms. Rings her sister who thought the same. Cue a bit of arguing with her and she claiming shes had a head cold for a few days but is grand couldnt be COVID, "shur ive been grand, only a sniffle and a bit tired" cant be COVID. After a bit more arguing finally an acceptance to get tested and lo and behold yeah, positive COVID.

It has genuinely been like a new lease of life to the woman, practically released her. Shes out and about, her favourite story is now how she had this and didnt even know. Literally her kids say shes like someone released from prison which stuck with me.

There are still people in that prison at the moment and what a horrible time theyve had and my God to our media and those who sought celibrity from fear have a lot to answer for but i doubt they ever will unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Proper collapse in hospital numbers now. 739 this morning with just 78 admissions overnight. That's probably the big one for this week, but we could easily be at 600 or less by the weekend.

The claims from ISAG that the changes in our testing regime are "masking" an insanely high infection rate can be dismissed out of hand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This kind of thing. Do these people look back now a bit embarrassed or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Blocked them all on twitter so see feck all! They still spouting rubbish? The architect hasn’t given up yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I've seen lots of people wearing masks while driving in their car alone, you'd have to wonder what's going on in the head of people like that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sometimes if you have a short drive between two stops it’s more hassle to take it off.

Its bloody crazy. Have seen it loads since the pandemic started. As one of my mates said to me, its like going to bed on your own wearing a condom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I know we would all prefer if Covid had never come along. However, it has given us an opportunity to reform the healthcare system in this country. I really hope we actually go ahead and implement substantial reform instead of getting some report together to gather dust on the desks in the DOH. Would be great to stop the brain drain of doctors and nurses to other countries where their working conditions are better and they can give the care to the patients that is required.

She's completely off the rails at this stage.

Someone pointed it out yesterday that this is a very common issue when a previously quiet/unknown academic gets some airtime and finds that the opportunity and feedback of broadcasting your opinion is very addictive. When faced with the possibility that it's going to go away, scope creep kicks in and they begin espousing opinion on areas way outside of their skillset, and often getting more and more extreme as they go. We see this all the time in broadcasting; Ciara Kelly is one example. An unremarkable doctor who got some airtime because of her connections, and turned into a "broadcaster" with terrible opinions on most things.

But in the media these people tend to eventually just get cut off and they're gone. On social media that doesn't happen. So they keep going further and further down the rabbit hole; like Dolores Cahill.

This is where Orla is going. An expert on ventilation and architectural practices in that regard, no doubt. But now she's into epidemiology and data analytics and seems to think her opinion should have as much gravitas as NPHETs or other experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

God I know what are these people thinking! I've even seen Taxi and bus drivers doing it!!!

Like maybe the person in the car is popping into a couple of shops and it's just easier to leave the mask on! Or maybe someone in the car is going for a covid test and the driver is taking some precautions! or maybe any of a dozen other perfectly reasonable reasons! Can't be having that kind of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

She referred to herself as an evolutionary virologist yesterday. I think there might be something more at play with her so best to leave her be .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You might have seen me . I pop to the shop and often put my mask on at home first . I wear glasses and i need to adjust the mask so my glasses dont fog

It takes a while to get it right on the nose and my glasses in the right spot

So once on I leave it on while I do a few bits , I might drive to the shop then get petrol or pop into the butcher

My mask is on in the car so not bloody crazy at all , just me being practical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Alright fair enough, I wear glasses too and that's one of the reasons I hated having to wear masks in shops etc. I couldn't see half the time.

I've never wore one driving though I think it'd be dangerous for the reason I just mentioned.

I'm in the UK so masks are not required anymore here thank god - but you still see the odd person wearing them when they're walking outside or in a car themselves so it does still baffle me, obviously a bit different in Ireland because the rules are still there.

Proper mask-wearing procedures are that you don't touch the mask until you are taking it off and putting it in the bin. So I can certainly see why someone might feel like the best thing to do is to just leave the mask on, especially if they're going in and out of several different places.

Though if you're really trying to be hospital-perfect, you would remove and bin your mask every time you leave the mask-wearing area and put on a new one when you go back in.

Though I'd rather see people wearing masks when they're not necessary than refusing to wear them where they are.

Notwithstanding the fact that ordinary masks are basically pointless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Or, they realised there's a difference between the then and now, what with the much more transmissible milder variant and everyone having been vaccinated...

Fair enough that you put it on at home so you can adjust your mask so your glasses dont fog up but a majority of people werent wearing glasses. I have seen people wearing masks running and seen one guy last year down in Clontarf wearing one while swimming. Absolute nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Not disputing the change in severity, but suggesting the testing regime changes haven't had an effect on case numbers isn't so wildly unreasonable... Either that or opening everything up has led to an enormous rapid reduction in infections, I suppose...

• Advertisement

One thing I have learned is not to judge what others are doing . You have absolutely no idea about their reasons or circumstances . They are not asking you to wear one or interfering with your life so why not leave to it and allow them that decision ?

Maybe the guy in Clontarf preferred not to have raw sewage near his mouth or simply like to swim without the fear of salmonella ? Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Tbh when i see someone like that wearing a mask outdoors I assume they're waiting for results of PCR/ think they have covid or know they have covid and want to exercise regardless. Have seen a ypong guy walking his dog a few days this week wearing a mask and going out of his way to avoid people. Passed him plenty of times previously and he didn't have one so I'm pretty sure he is positive or thinks he may be. So these people are actually rebels and you need to start looking upto them(based on your standards)

Yes . New guidelines is if a close contact you need not isolate but advised to wear a mask for 8 days . Fair play to that lad .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

France has broken half a million in daily cases with more than 30,000 people in hospital, the highest since November 2020. At those levels they must be near or at peak.

With 50% of hospital cases now incidental the perverse notion occurred to me that our crap underesourced system has actually helped a bit in that regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

If there was still widespread infection in the population hospital numbers wouldn’t be decreasing. Its one of the telltale signs for mass community transmission.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I might actually suggest other situations around being immunocompromised - a friend got a transplant late last year and was basically told to stay away from everyone and everything for 12 weeks following the operation, due to the drugs he was on, and could then start to mix again slowly.

Not to suggest the dog-walker is the exact same, but there are many more reasons why people might be wearing masks outdoors.

I don't bother taking them off myself in some places, if I am going from shop to shop, or if I have bags in both hands and it is easier to leave it on til I walk to my car. Not from any sense of fear, just practicalities.

Oh it has for sure, but social media is awash with ISAG and the likes claiming that the changes are basically criminal and it's likely that infections are spiralling way out of control rather than reducing.

Again, as I've been banging on about for at least 4 weeks, Omicron is beyond our ability to suppress or control, so trying to get a very accurate fix on its prevalence is now a waste of time and energy. The only thing that matters is ICU. For other respiratory illnesses like 'flu and RSV, positivity rates of 30-50% are perfectly normal and give us a "good enough" assessment of where we are. And that's because we only test symptomatic and likely cases.

Test & Trace is a suppression & control technique (for the virus, not people). It is now completely pointless because neither of those things are possible.

Eventually we will bring Covid under the same umbrella as other respiratory illnesses - i.e. only testing people who present to GPs or hospitals. The public health advice will remain that people with any kind of symptoms should remain at home, but that's just good sense for any illness. The purpose of antigen tests will therefore start to fall away; if nobody is notifying close contacts anymore, then why would people bother to get tested?

I suspect we could move to this regime now, but there are too many scenarios where people would lose their **** if they announced the end of contact tracing and masks tomorrow; I.e. Schools and retail. Another month of minor imposition for the sake of maximising population protection is reasonable. But to a large extent it's just theatre to help ease people out of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As far as I know no but I suppose it is a habit. I was in my local which is also the local college pub and all were coming in with masks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Habit they will grow out of. Use mine to keep my face warn in these cold days when out and about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

74 in ICU this morning

Advertisement