Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I doubt that has been decided for certain considering his age and Leinster tendency to move players around as part of their development.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Something like this would be plenty good enough

Byrne Tracy Alaalatoa

Molony Murphy

Ruddock Deegan Penny

McGrath Byrne

JOB Frawley ROL Adam Byrne

Osborne

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

With Connors back, Penny will be idle. Connors will be looking to make the international summer tour.

James Treacy is a good 3rd option. He's not a world beater, but he's good and solid. It could well be his last contract with Leinster. He's could get a 1 year extension, but Barron and McKie are coming through.

ROL will probably start this week. His minutes are low thus far. What's his contract situation? I feel he is under pressure now. Osborne will probably get a contract and JOB can do a job at 13.

Has the Munster match been rescheduled?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Probably similar to Ed Byrne. Must have through he was edging close to first choice at leinster before Porter switched and Healy was losing his ability to start games. Now he's back down to third choice as Healy is the perfect sub.

But both of those guys were in strong positions when leinster was getting beaten up by bigger packs at the knockout stages of Europe. They have been shuffled down the order as leinster got stronger. They're both good URC options but you don't want them starting knock out games against big packs in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think I would go with:

1. Edward Byrne
    2. James Tracy
    3. Michael Ala'alatoa
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy/Rhys Ruddock
    7. Will Connors
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Ciarán Frawley
    13. Jamie Osborne
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Jimmy O'Brien
    16. John McKee
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Scott Penny
    21. Nick McCarthy
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Adam Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Toner is falling out of favor. I would like to see Deeny oy McCarthy. I suppose Dunne will not be picked if he is going to Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah, I would expect him to start too this weekend, along with Adam Byrne. You kind of forget they’re there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Davidjamson

I think the England team performs well in home ground. That's why the other team will create pressure on it.

I'm not sure what they need wither of them for. Neither will progress I to Ireland standard players. They're both ok, and ok is ok but they can't hold on to all the ok players when they want to develop the young lads to see if they're better than ok.

If you love something, set it free. They're both in limbo at leinster. They'd be much more valuable to another team elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I remembered this tackle during the game but didn't realise where McGrath had come from to make it. He's such a good defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Nonsense. Both solid squad players which a team like Leinster need when their internationals are away or recovering. Adam Byrnes only 27, he has plenty more to give. He's had an awful time with injury but you can see what playing for the province meant to him after he recently game back from injury. When he's fit and ready, hes never too far from teh team sheet. Too early to write him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

One problem for players like Adam Byrne and Rory O'Loughlin this season is the 3/4 games less per season (albeit its been that way since Covid) and the removal of domestic games around the international fixtures.

I do think they'll stay but there's less and less opportunities to get game time.

It's great to see that it means a lot to the player, but that's not really what its about, is it?

And what team is he close to? He's certainly not close to the strongest starting leinster team. He's close to a start in a game like the Cardiff game at the weekend. But there are prospects who I would prefer to give gametime to instead of Adam Byrne who probably isn't going to improve much at this point.

Solid squad players are probably the pool from which they’ll pick the player who will need to give way in the post covid budget restrictions. Plus the fact that there are fewer games when the Ireland players are away means they're in lower demand than they were in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

both are rarely on the team sheet. both defo needs to move on. would be a fantastic option for another province.

Irish rugby can't afford to stockpile talent who don't play.

Leinster have a heap of said players. Penny is a prime example. Deegan now as well. The latter is wasting his career here. More and more will follow the Dunne path.

Someone has to play the games in Cardiff though, and it cant be just the kids without more experienced players mixed in. For me the likes of Adam Byrne and Rory O'Loughlin fit in along with a bunch of other squad members (like Maloney, Dooley, Bent before he left) who while not spectacular are solid at URC level. I'm all for giving youth a chance but a little diversity in experience is the sensible option.

Dunne didnt have a contract offer from leinster, thats the only reason he is leaving.

I agree with your last sentiment for sure. Realistically theres not enough pro contracts in Ireland at the moment for the young players coming through. I'd say we'll see a lot of movement over the next while and probably going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There's strong arguments to keeping solid squad players like Byrne and ROL but ultimately harsh decisions need to be made.

I think it's very clear that they've both hit their ceiling. Perhaps moving on they'll have a significant performance boost that one can only really achieve with a total change of scenery (as an aside people can be quick to criticise teams for letting players go but I do believe that sometimes the only way to extract more performance from athletes is a total reset and change)

Leinster need and want to back their youth. And backing youth involves giving minutes to those players which will inevitably be at the expense of someone else.

But if there is a chance they can be top class players they should be preferred to those who have peaked/ plateaued in the squad. Looking at Frawley as an example, he might be a top class international at some point but at the moment we are seeing very strong performances and potential - he's not the finished article yet. To me that's sufficient that he should be getting the minutes ahead of the likes of ROL.

Tommy O'Brien is one who might never deliver on his potential, but its clear to me he should be getting minutes ahead of established squad peers who we know what they'll deliver.

A professional sports squad is dynamic and organic. It's a constant flux of younger players pushing established ones for game time and either taking their spot or not. It's ruthless but it has to be.

If Adam Byrne is moved on to make time for a younger winger who might be top class for Leinster that's a worthy gamble. Because either they become a top class player and Leinster are net positive or they become a solid reliable player and Leinster are net neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Realistically theres not enough pro contracts in Ireland at the moment for the young players coming through.

Sure there is.

NZ don't lose young talent to overseas clubs and their model is very similar to ours.

If there's contracts for Greg Jones, Chris Cloete, Jason Jenkins, Andrew Warwick, James Tracy and Abraham Papali'i, then there's contracts for young Irish players.

Ah but tbf Nz's domestic league is pro /semi pro, which suits guys in their early 20s. I don't think the contracts in the NPC are massive money but a player can a still train / play fulltime. Also if they make the step up to Super Rugby there's 5 teams to pick from apposed to our 4. It's not a comparable set up to whats happening here. Sure we're already seeing younger guys head off to France and elsewhere and more power to them. Look at Jack Reagan, perfect example.

Someone has to play those games and it can't all be kids. So it should be the ones like Ruddock who are very good but not in the Ireland team but would be fine at international level if called upon, not players who have hit their ceiling well short of international level.

Byrne has been desperately unlucky with injury, but if he's hit his cieling (I'm jot sure if he has and he has some time to show if he can improve again) but ROL is a player who is good but probably not good enough.

They will have to make those judgements about who to keep and who to bid farewell to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster need and want to back their youth. And backing youth involves giving minutes to those players which will inevitably be at the expense of someone else.

What are we backing youth for then? To dump them in their mid 20’s, so we can give the next generation their game time.

There has to be a balance of youth and experience through the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Essentially yes.

It's not a perfect science and it's not a formula that can be plugged for everyone.

But a team like Leinster has an expectation of chasing silverware in 2 competitions year in year out.

The ideal picture to achieve this is a squad that is 3 deep - ie. 3 players in every position that can step up at a moments notice for knock out rugby with no noticeable dip in performance..... this is obviously not attainable but absolutely something that is strived for.

Players that don't look likely to hit those markers in what could be considered their "prime" generally have their days numbered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Munster v Leinster rescheduled game is set for May as the final game of the regular season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah. You know the answer to that. Nobody is taking about dumping the best of the youth like Doris, VDF, Ringtone or Conan, Ryan, Sexton.

They're looking for the best of the youth to keep them and play them in the strongest team. They're not really looking for ok squad players to keep them for their whole career. OK squad players are fine but they're the ones to make way for more youthful players to find out if they're top players.

Surely you could figure that one out for yourself.

• Advertisement

I think its up to the youth to make a claim for that jersey though? Let a young winger come and force his way into the reckoning leaving Adam Byrne out of squad and unable to get back in. If that happens then fair enough. But surely clearing people out ahead of this happening, for prospective talent isn't great for moral? Especially if they end up being like for like.

Advertisement