Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you've already answered the question you seem to have posed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

In shock at how immature that response was. Sounded like rather than listening to why everyone was against the motion, it was taken as a personal attack or something. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Signs were put up in Howth, was it people or an individual, nobody knows, so it’s a generalisation to say there is a core of people. I live in Sutton and cycle around the area including the whole of Howth regularly and see no more issues there than anywhere else I cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Furthermore, there were signs up in relation to Road Racing / MAMIL / "Tour De France" (or whatever ridiculous label you wish to use) cyclists. Not cyclists in general. It's about time this "cyclist" image was changed in people's mindsets. They are people on bikes, the majority of whom are looking to get get from A to B, safely.

If someone put up a "No Boy Racers" sign in an area, would the area be seen as anti motorist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

That would be my own experience.

If you refer to the opposition to the Sutton cycle lanes from the discussed vested interests, i'd imagine there would be similar opposition to any such project, I know there was to the cycle lanes in Baldoyle for example, not to mention the reported objection to schemes in Malahide / Sandymount / Dundrum / Dun Laoghaire etc. There's always going to be objections to change, be them genuine or from cranks, its not specific to any one area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Bit harsh to compare boy racers to people on road bikes wearing lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The Jimmy Guerin contribution was excellent, I'll be emailing him today to thank him along with the other councillors who spoke so well.

I'm worried though about the overall scheme and will be cycling it with my 5yo tomorrow to give it a closer look. From a cycle that way on Wednesday night it looks like the 2 main junctions (Sutton cross and Offington park) will remain completely unprotected, as will various stretches along the way such as outside Burrow national school and the dangerous (for cyclists) bend just before the Offington park junction. Hopefully that's just going to be in the short term but for now it means it will remain incomplete.

The section I mentioned above outside Burrow national school where they won't be installing bollards - it was lined with parked cars on Wednesday night, despite all of the other bollards having been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I came back here to potentially edit that as the exact same thing just occured to me :). Ah well, I'm sure point will get the point!

For the record, I too cycle a road bike in lycra, as well as other bikes, in other clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

People on fixies. They're the real boy racers...

I was cursing the bollards on my cycle home last night, certain people are given parking inside them (builders working on a house and a taxi driver at the GP's) and, due to the tight spacing of the bollards, you have to slow right down and exit the cycle lane into traffic. Net result is, without enforcement, the section is actually more dangerous than it was.

Aside from that, fair play to Jimmy Guerin, thats great stuff he did!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had never suggested howth was unique.

but now you mention it, except for the posters on two occasions, and do i remember that thumb tacks were strewn across the road near the cemetery when a cycling event was passing a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

100% this, happened to me last week on the Baldoyle road coming up on the Pizza shop/Elphin pub, the pizza delivery guys are parked on the path as usual but because of the bollards I couldn’t move out as I normally would and had to slow right down and manoeuvre around the bollards while trying to get into the flow of traffic.

I’ve also noticed a couple of broken bollards outside people’s driveways where they need to come out further onto the road to turn into the lane. It looked like they were deliberately broken. I can see more of that happening as well.

I suspect that the core of anti-cycling is extremely small, perhaps 1 person.

hopefully; i do know of others in howth who curse cyclists but i would be very surprised to learn take the sort of actions described.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Outside Howth Presbyterian Church today where there apparently is not enough room to park in their car park...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

So basically just can't be arsed to park a) legally and b) considerately....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think they are deliberately parking on the road now to prove a point. I passed about 40 minutes before service on Sunday, one car on the road and none in the carpark.

I'm not sure - they've literally always parked on the road (well footpath + cycle lane really) in the years I've been passing by.

I cycled out that way on Saturday with my 5yo leading the way and 2yo in the trailer behind me. As expected the unprotected stretches proved uncomfortable at best with parked cars in the cycle lane outside Burrow national school as I'd seen on Wednesday night. The stretch from there to where the bollards start again near the church is particularly long.

On the other hand there is a significant level of comfort to be had from such simple plastic wands where they have been installed.

as mr spuckler mentioned, it's not exactly deliberate when it's just continuation of previous behaviour; and they have to know that this will backfire on them if - as has already been publicised much wider than that particular tweet - they don't use their own car park, it makes them look like hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hypocrisy will backfire on them?

Don't know too many adherent Presbyterians, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

The Bible tells them to use the car park:

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat

Matthew 7:13-14

That would not surprise me knowing some of the people involved.

As for this backfiring - I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt initially but based on their sh1thousery they can feck off now.

If the area outside the burrow school is not controlled one has to question the point of segregating the cycle lanes at all. Its the most hazardous stretch of road between Sutton and Howth as its the narrowest section (if you look at it from Corr Castle to the Burrow) and features the worst parking behavior exactly when segregation is needed most - at school times. I wonder if the Burrow School management are being challenged?

needless to say, given his constituency, most of the location specific ones listed are for de nortsoide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I came through the Old Ballymun Road/Griffith Avenue junction, heading towards Ballymun, today. They have the cycle signals running now. What they’ve done is implemented a cycling phase that is totally independent of the general traffic phase, and comes first. It’s safe, I reckon, but it means a longer wait at an already long light. I’ll probably take the lane half the time.

They still have a cycle lane painted into a general traffic lane going south onto Mobhi Road, so I’m still taking the lane there, as always.

oh, i forgot, we walked home from getting grub in phibsboro last night (bald eagle, food was alright, nothing to complain about but a bit workmanlike).

anyway, we came up old ballymun road, so i got a shot of the junction facing north - the shimmy cyclists have to do going through the junction is not as severe as i'd thought it was going to be (i think the day we'd walked past, a month or two back, there was something sitting across the two islands so i thought it was a single unbroken one, and cyclists going straight on would have to swing far enough to the left so as to actually disappear from the frame here):

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

That white barrier was straddling the two islands until yesterday.

I think if cyclists got a head start green, and general traffic turning left gave way to cyclists going straight on, you’d basically have a Dutch design here? The difficulty would be training drivers to give way when turning left when it’s not standard. All in all I think the separate phase is better, for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

assuming there's no pedestrians crossing, I'd be carrying onto that second stop line regardless of the lights.

My main concern with these types of junctions is that cyclists going straight will have a lot less green time than traffic in the car lane. That is what happens here - if you're going straight you're invariably quicker being on the road as otherwise you're left waiting while cars turn left. I'm not sure what the solution is - I think in a Dutch design cyclists would skew left and then cross the side road with priority on a toucan crossing, but that requires a lot of space at the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The difficulty would be training drivers to give way when turning left when it’s not standard. All in all I think the separate phase is better, for now anyway.

Yeah, that'll be the hard part.

I recently passed the often changed junction on Lombard St. It's got a green for straight, and flashing amber for turning left, yet I still had a van beep me as I was going straight and he was turning. A lot of drivers don't seem to update their road knowledge, and bad driving like this is never really challenged by Gardaí.

Advertisement