Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treaty United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A merger isnt going to happen because O'Sullivan won't do it. Why I'm not sure I heard somewhere it's about retaining fees for future transfers or something but a merger doesn't look like it's an option

While that's true, it's hardly much help to ensuring Treaty have the best academy in the region if there's a competing academy going. Maybe the competition will help out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mid West needs two academies, it's just a pity it's those chancers. Hopefully if this third tier is a thing then UL are asked to enter a team as there's talks they'll be asking universities to enter teams and they join up with someone like Aisling Annacottey to run their underage teams and maybe Limerick FC will finally **** off for good.

Why do you say the Midwest needs two academies?

I'd love to see UL field a senior side tbh, but it says a lot for how badly the LOI has been run traditionally that of all the third level institutions only UCD do. By comparison, the GAA is very embedded into the third level structures here. (I know, I know, historically our best players went to England, not to third level etc).

Anyhow, today probably isn't the day for it. I'm hoping against hope that they can pull off a miracle today. Eitherway Tommy Barrett and the team have achieved huge success this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

UCD 1-2 Treaty United (4-2 to UCD on aggregate)

Valiant effort in Dublin, but just too much ground for Treaty to make up.

Treaty had to press, and were swinging balls into the box from the very start, and it paid dividends after just 8 minutes. The ball was headed up in the air after a cross, and Conor Melody volleyed the dropping ball into the bottom left corner, though the UCD keeper should have done better.

It was very open after that, with UCD maybe feeling they should attack rather than just defend, and both sides created some chances. UCD forced one very good save from Ryan, and also forced a Treaty header off the line from a set-piece, while Treaty had a couple of shots and also had the ball in the net from a follow-up after the UCD keeper had saved a Dean George header, but the original header was ruled offside. The pace had to drop after the hectic start, and it eased to a 1-0 lead at the break.

The second half started with scrambles at either end, first Tadhg Ryan doing to deny Colm Whelan twice, then at the other end, a prolonged scramble when it seemed certain a Treaty player would find a finishing touch, but they never did. But just 6 minutes into the half, Stephen Cristopher swung in a beauty of a cross, and Anto O’Donnell powered a header back across the goal into the bottom corner, and things were looking very interesting.

Our momentum took a real hit just a couple of minutes later when Stephen Cristopher arrived too late for a tackle and received a straight red card. UCD were happy to calm it down a bit after that and take the sting out of the game, and eventually scored themselves with 20 minutes to go, cutting in from the right side and a finish that crept under Ryan at his near post.

UCD passed it around as much as they could, slowing things down and using up time, and used their extra man well to spread play around the place and keep Treaty chasing the ball. We threw on 4 subs with 10 minutes to go, and forced yet another scramble in the box with a UCD player clearing off the line, then a glancing header just over from Willie Armshaw after a beautiful ball into the box.

Then UCD missed an absolute sitter after Treaty were caught passing it around the back, and Tadhg Ryan had to make a smart save just afterwards, and another after that, and  in the end, Treaty just couldn’t muster the chances they needed, and it’s UCD who go on to play Bray, who beat Galway 1-0 away after a 0-0 draw in the first leg.

So that’s it for the season. The 3-0 defeat in the home leg of the playoff was a sad way to end our home games, but overall, for a team patched together just weeks before the season started, a super effort from Tommy Barrett, his staff, and the players. There are a few players who are likely to be around next season, and we should be a good test for anybody in the division.

• Advertisement

Not sure this is the right thread for this but Pat O'Sullivan lost 6 million on Limerick FC? My God, surely someone could have stopped him?

His family stopped him in the end by the sound of things, but he's not easily stopped.

And not sure why anybody involved with Limerick would want to stop somebody from throwing their money at the club.

It was madness. LOI is generally madness tbf

Seemingly it didn't impress Limerick FC fans either, judging by how his tenure is viewed, though I think they/we are a hard bunch to please...

I wouldn't agree with that. He was very popular as long as he was putting money into the club, unsurprisingly.

What Pat never really understood was that you get nothing for your money in LOI. It's a financial black hole. You can put money into facilities, money into players, and it just disappears. And no matter how much you put in, it just disappears, and you're left with either a better stadium, or just some good memories and maybe even a few trophies.

And at the end of it all, when you've no money left, or you come to your senses and realise it's money down the drain, you have to just walk away from it all. If he had done that, there would have been no ill will towards him at all. He had got us back to the Markets Field, got us back to the Premier, got us to a League Cup final...he would have been very well remembered.

Instead, he stopped putting in any money, and still refused to walk away and let somebody else come along. He stopped paying wages, and left players out of pocket. He stopped paying player insurance, and one of our players got injured and couldn't get the surgery he needed, and it ended his career. That's shameful stuff.

And even now, rather than step aside and let Treaty United 'become' Limerick FC in the same way that Limerick 37 did, which is what everybody wants, he refuses to let that happen. I am not sure what he can possibly hope to gain from it all, but he is doing it anyway.

I have heard rumours that he is holding on as Limerick FC have sell-on clauses in some contracts, and it's possible that Ogbene might be worth a chunk of money sometime, and Limerick would get their cut. But I don't know if that is true or not, and even if it is, surely that could be sorted out so that the money goes to him directly.

I always liked Limerick 37, it gave us a continental feel.

I also much prefer our new Atletico Madrid looking kit but I still find it much easier calling them Limerick when talking to people

• Advertisement

I was half joking, yeah he did some good stuff and felt the supporters who fell out with him over him wanting to ban "offensive chants" iirc were clowns tbh. they should have just toned it down for a while and waited til he forgot about it.

Agree wholeheartedly about Russell's injury too, seriously shameful stuff. that coupled with seemingly leaving a lot of debts unpaid around town have soured things further, but things had already gone south between him and the fans by the time of both of those things.

I don't see how he can step aside if he (or Limerick FC) still has assets of any value, especially if he can still be made liable for Limerick FC's outstanding debts. Ogbene and probably Paudie O'Connor will move a few more times in their careers, there's value to Limerick FC in each move.

Iirc his original reason for getting involved with Limerick FC was to try and bring good news back to the city after the height of the feud, can't really fault him for it, despite the omnishambles it became.

Still, 6 million is an amazing amount of money to throw away for little or nothing, and to ruin your reputation in the process. Wonder will the lads in Bray get on better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

No add ons if they leave at the end of their contracts which usually happens.

True, but there's always the possibility of some cut of transfer fees. Both Ogbene and O'Connor still have a decade of football ahead of them.

Are most football contracts free transfers? I've no idea of what percentage are or aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Treaty no longer on the umbro.ie website, is there a new kit deal sorted for next season?

Tadhg Ryan off to Bohs, good move for him and I wish him the best but he'll be hard to replace. Serious dent in the squad for next year.

As soon as I saw Jack Brady had been signed I knew Ryan was leaving. He's a super keeper and deserves to be at a higher level. Brady did very well for us before anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Lee Devitt back from Cobh is another good signing also.

We've signed a decent chunk of players from last season:

Joe Collins, Willie Armshaw, Conor Melody, Dean George, Charlie Fleming, Mark Walsh, Joel Coustrain, Sean Guerins, Stephen Cristopher, Matt Keane, Callum McNamara, Red Hanlon, Jack Lynch, Marc Ludden (plus Jack Brady and Lee Devitt for 16 players in total, maybe I missed some)

You have to wonder why the others haven't signed back yet. We had a very solid season but it was very much a team effort and with the exception of Ryan, I can't think of too many players who'd be wanted by teams higher than us. McSweeney maybe?

So I wonder what the story is with McSweeney, Anto O'Donnell, Clyde O'Connell, Alan Murphy, Matt McKevitt and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. The first 3 at least, you'd assume Barrett wants back for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I wonder is there a BBC Journalist following this also: https://youtu.be/vlCGpQluzE4

Point to note - this is fiction from a video game; where and described in the smallest nutshell possible - Manager Second Yellow Card is trying to create an Irish footballing powerhouse of Europe by bringing on Treaty Utd and strengthening Irish teams around it to give us more Champions Leage spots and enhance the national squad.

PS - That was a nice article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I managed to do it with Limerick in FM a few years back. Won the Champions League, had a new ground built and named after me and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

70 quid ffs

Jerseys are absolutely crazy. Even on sale after the new kits are out an out of date Premier League kit cost more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

glad I bought my dead ringer fake Athletico shirt for a tenner in Spain last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Very little chat on here give the new season is two weeks old

Cobh Ramblers 0-0 Treaty

I was just following updates on this match, and there were very very few of those. Seems like a fairly poor match with few chances, even the Treaty facebook page was calling it dull!

Jack Brady made a very good save and we had a shot cleared off the line, but little happened otherwise.

Next match: Home to Longford, Friday March 11, 7.45pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

These two particular clubs don't seem to exist - at least when it comes to coverage in the national print and broadcast media. Even Sky Sports News, usually up to date and comprehensive, no longer lists Treaty games in it's results section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

There's definitely been a lull on the social media front from the club anyway, I wonder if some of the volunteers have moved on. The men's academy had three teams kicking off their campaigns this weekend and the only mention I saw was a couple of tweets about the HT and FT result for the U17's, and a retweet of the U15's result with Waterford. No mention of the U19s at all.

The women's side of things seems to be better in terms of match reports and updates.

• Advertisement

A lot of people literally had nothing else to do this time last year. I would have covered the u17 tiddlywinks championships if it meant I could go to something. Volunteers might not have as much time now.

Advertisement