Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Living in London you must surely understand the difference between multiculturalism, and immigration policies?

Immigration is only a contributing factor to multiculturalism which exists already in most societies, it’s not something anyone has any control over whatsoever.

Few have tried alright throughout history to impose their own ideas on other people, but their attempts have been a dismal failure for the most part. In fact, I can’t think of any regime which successfully imposed itself by force upon another culture in order to remove that culture from society.

Nazis upon the Jews for example, hardly a roaring success, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Have you actually been outside Europe?

Places like China, Japan and South Korea arent multicultural? Same with most of Africa.... and Asia....

You look at historic photos of dublin and london from 50 years ago and the people in them are predominantly white....

Mass immigration is a relatively new idea that really only the West experiment with....

None of the Brits that I know would say any such thing.

Gangs and criminals exist everywhere. There is a lot more to crime and anti.social behaviour then the ethnic backgrounds of people.

And.You didn't answer, I'm 100% Irish, how about you?

Ideally the Irish state should recognise her Sierra Leone identity as her real identity and deport her there. I wonder how she would be treated there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's not very long ago some posters were arguing that I was wrong when I stated that our government hasn't a clue how many illegal immigrants were in the country and more to the point there past history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Social welfare and benefits are to easily handed out to certain individuals in this country.

I haven’t, been outside of Europe I mean. I’ve only ever been outside of Ireland once, and at the time I said I’d never do that again, still haven’t - ate a dodgy melon from a beach seller in Corfu, my wife asked me did I not see the sign saying “Do not buy fruit from beach sellers”, I informed her that clearly I did not. By Jesus I paid for it for the rest of the week - couldn’t flush paper down the toilet, and trying to sit in the tiny bath to cool my ring off was a struggle. Funniest part of the whole two weeks experience was when we were out in the club and I went to the bathroom, was coming back and I saw some Greek Lothario trying to nibble my wife’s ear as she sunk further back into a couch to get away from him. First thing occurred to me was “she sinks any further back into that couch she’s gonna suffocate herself!” ‘Twas like that Pepe Le Pew cartoon 😂

Anyways, it depends what photos from Dublin and London you’re looking at. There’s a few photos in this article about the Windrush generation in the UK. Do they look predominantly white to you?

Here’s another. Predominately white too?

Mass immigration a relatively new idea? I’ll defer to posters with greater knowledge on the subject of the movement of people in mass groups throughout human history, but suffice to say there are theories that we all originated from the land mass that is now known as the continent of Africa. A quick look at Africa today and it’s a fair point to make that you wouldn’t think it, because they’re not predominantly white!

China, Africa and Asia are among the most multicultural societies on the planet, by sheer virtue of their population sizes alone. There’s a theory behind the whole notion of “they all look the same” to an outsider, which escapes me now, but basically it’s because of your own bias, which has nothing to do with living in London, which is really why I put the question to you, because culture isn’t simply based on the colour of anyone’s skin. Plenty of distinct cultures exist within predominantly white societies too.

If they didn’t, we wouldn’t be having this conversation where some people can’t distinguish between multiculturalism and immigration.

Windrush immigration has been a disaster for Britain....

I dont think in the entire history of immigration have poor people arrived in rich countries and demanded free houses and free money.... there are areas in the UK where white Brits are the minority. There are areas where white people are not welcome.... this has happened in about 50 years... is that what you want for ireland?

Have these multicultural societies in china, africa and asia been successfull? In places like africa they are constantly killing other tribes. Is that what you want in europe?

What I dont understand about the multicultural lovers is why you want to be a minority in your own country? You think irish culture is so poor you need other people to enrich it?

Mass immigration. A few pointers.

The amount of people moving from A to B is unprecedented mainly due to technology. The ability to transport large numbers of people was limited in the past due to 1) the speed at which vessels traveled 2) the size of the vessels, and 3) the availability of food. Then there's the risks involved in travelling. Throughout most of the world, areas outside of the main population centers were not domesticated, and as such, held a wide variety of possible risks. Lastly, there was the aspect of social order, in that feudal or provincial territories were very against the movement of large numbers of people, but also the pressure on people to remain in their designated areas.

we really need to appreciate things like populations. Farming brought about population increases, but for most nations, their populations were relatively low, in comparison with the last century. Disease kept populations down, as did warfare which tended to cause a winnowing of the population every generation or so. The risks involved in pregnancy, and infant mortality were high, which also affected populations. There simply weren't the kind of populations that exist today... and that's relevant when attempting to compare modern migration with the past.

The point being that throughout most of history, migrations consisted of a few hundred, and possibly a few thousand people. They were limited by the availability of food, but also the dangers that travelling involved. Even when you look at something like the slavery trade into America, the actual numbers were kinda on the low side (compared with modern migration habits), and a large portion died en-route. WW2 brought about the biggest shift in migration throughout Europe, with millions moving across the continent.. but there hadn't been anything like it before... and most traveled to nearby regions/countries.

Ireland receives in the region of 50-60k migrants each year. That's a massive shift in migration habits. Which is why the term mass immigration is used, and it is accurate as a relatively new phenomenon.

As for Asian countries being multicultural, you'd have to be very flexible in how you term the cultures involved. China has 56-57 ethnic groups, each of which have their own cultures, but they're all from the same area. It has a sizable foreign population, but Chinese culture dominates. That bears out in all Asian nations. Their own native cultures are the primary cultures involved... and foreign culture, while it exists, is tolerated rather than embraced.

It's not the same as what multiculturalism is manifesting in Europe. Africa is a mess and will always be a mess, but African tribal culture tends to dominate once you leave the hotel areas... there's a lot of resistance and bitterness about western culture existing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

These cases would drive you mad.

This criminal bogus asylum-seeker committed identity fraud, and massive social welfare fraud.

Yet she is still here!!

And she is still receiving social welfare!!

What sort of country is this??

Will anybody call a halt to all of this? No AS should be allowed leave the port of arrival, their claim should be processed in 24 hrs, max a week, then deport. I say deport, as based on the evidence I've read for years and year, there doesn't seem to be any actual genuine AS?

Whether it’s been a disaster or a success is simply impossible to quantify to any real degree, same as the idea of multiculturalism or immigration and whether or not it’s a success or failure is entirely from your own subjective perspective, and I think it’s fair to observe you’re clearly biased in that regard towards your own preferences. Essentially trying to argue success or failure is pointless.

I’m aware of the history of immigration and multiculturalism in Britain, and the way a few colonising countries in Europe increased the size of their sovereign kingdoms by conquering foreign lands and attempting to impose their own culture on the people in those countries. You appear to be keen to overlook that though? The Irish missions tried to conquer foreign lands by spreading Christianity through education too, imposing much of our culture on people in those lands. Conquerors didn’t demand anything, they just took what they wanted, without any regard for the people they were taking it from. Our European ancestors were neither so innocent or benign, if you want to draw comparisons along those lines. It’s how nations became rich, by taking resources from foreign lands as they simply deemed themselves entitled to it in service of their Monarchs or God.

What I want for Ireland is the kind of bitter, resentful sorts who would begrudge anyone support, would build themselves a wee currach and piss off into the middle of the Atlantic where they couldn’t be a nuisance to anyone but themselves… for however long that would last before all the in-fighting for superiority and dominance over the rest of the group started and they all fell out with each other.

As for your ideas of me being a minority in my own country - does it ever occur to you before asking that question, what makes you think I’d want any association with you? We clearly have very different ideas of Irish culture, which I’m only too happy to share with anyone who is interested, as opposed to trying to keep it to myself in a way that it stagnates and dies out.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

"They are so out of touch that they don't realise they are totally in the minority" - 1 quick question mark, do you actually live in Ireland?

She arrived heavily pregnant in 2001, 3 years later after the referendum she would have been returned to sender. I dunno what votes the national party were getting around then but over 70% of the voters voted to end the loophole getting exploited! Dunno if there was karma n frustration involved- maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You'll see them strive to create conditions where they can post any crime committed by an immigrant or refugee. I would bet money that they didn't comment on the guy bringing the dead body to a post office. There is a huge degree of frustration in their posts. It must be tough having so much anger and frustration and knowing that you cannot do anything about the situation and it's going to continue as is. I have to say that the hopelessness they must feel brings me a lot of satisfaction, in the sense that they are living their own karma. Brings more satisfaction than it should I must admit, which is why I usually block those people. I don't really want to be rejoicing in their hate and frustration

The amount of baseless attribution of emotions that you've to rely on to convince yourself of your righteousness is absurd. This thread is on the go years, and the vast majority of posts are calm and sensible, yet you go straight for the cheap "they are emotional and angry" attacks, which is common with posters like yourself. Anyone whose seen your posts on this thread, knows that everything you've said about us, is more relevant to yourself, as I've seen you call people all sorts of names simply because they disagree with you, yet we're the angry and emotional ones?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Go away out of that. You seem to "know" people everywhere, "law enforcement" everywhere. IF someone said they'd a forehead you'd claim to have a fivehead.

I'm sorry that You only know people who live within 5 miles of your house 🙄

do you seriously not know people or have family in the UK??

As for police, I know Dutch, German, Swedish, Finnish, Hungarian, Italian, Bulgarian, Polish, Slovakian,Estonian, Greek and American police. Don't know why that is so unbelievable!

I also have family and friends in many different countries. I'm amazed that you do not.

So some European countries colonised others, so you're happy for Europe to be colonised? Bit of a self-hating attitude that pervades European society nowadays.

2 junkies have a brainwave to score e250 for the weekend. It's pathetic stuff really.

As for posting any crime by an immigrant here was one alongside the asylum scammer yesterday. A 91 year old robbed, assaulted and raped by a Romanian piece of filth. You probably didn't hear about it as it didn't make the rte news last night. You would think it'd be fairly topical in light of what happened in tullamore, women's safety etc etc. But someone in rte deemed it otherwise.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/i-no-longer-feel-safe-man-jailed-for-sexual-assault-of-woman-91-in-her-home-41276613.html

Not gonna lie Fandymo, I expect better from you of all people than the Cathy Newman sort of “so what you’re saying is…” style of argumentation, as if someone saying one thing means that they must believe in the premise of an argument from your point of view.

Europe isn’t being colonised. What actual political power do immigrants have? What actual natural resources have they taken from Europe? What actual administration have immigrants set up in Europe that they granted themselves authority over European citizens?

You should be ashamed of that pure scutter talk, because I don’t believe you could possibly be so unaware of the fact that’s all it is - pure scutter talk. It doesn’t even rise to the level of emotive incendiary rhetoric because it lacks any sort of high-fallutin’ pomposity 😒

Agree. Great post. Especially the last paragraph. I suppose I qualify as part of the "we" that these people talk about since my family tree was all born in Ireland as far as I know but like 99% of the country I want nothing to do with Glock or klaz or any of those guys. They are so out of touch that they don't realize they are totally in the minority. Congregating in one thread online doesn't wipe away the pitiful results that people like the National Party, who these guys all support, have achieved. 

First off Mark... If I am so wrong, then you should be capable of countering what I have said. It's a discussion board.. and yet, the only posts I see from you are vague remarks with no real effort behind them. Just as with a few other posters who argue, but can't resist twisting points, or going off on an unrelated tangent, and yet assigning those unrelated points to me/others. But, yeah... You should be capable of countering what was said. You haven't.

Secondly, prove that I support the National party. You made the claim. Provide some fecking evidence.

[the part I find interesting is that I've encountered very few supporters of the national party, instead, it's always posters like yourself claiming that someone else is a supporter, or alt-right or whatever group, so that you can dismiss their views.]

Third, the claim about being a minority, could easily be directed right back at you. Opinions on immigration and multiculturalism are going to shift over time.

I had thought I'd cover each point, but there's no value in doing so. As usual, you make loads of vague claims, expect them to be accepted as gospel, don't provide any evidence to support yourself, and then, hide rather than engage with those you accuse.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey. Look at the demographic shifts in most European countries. Migrants, especially Muslims, are outbreeding Europeans at an astonishing rate, and the rate of immigration is not slowing down. You think that once they have the numbers that they won't push for values more in line with their customs and outlook? Look at Ireland for a small example, all McDonalds in Ireland are Halal, all Subways are halal. Inhumanely slaughtered meat. The official muslim population of Ireland is 1.3% according to the 2016 census. Could you imagine a McDonalds or Subway bending to a Catholic group and only selling fillet of fish or tuna subs on a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭archfi

One of the worst posts ever made on this thread.

And that's saying something.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Your evidence of the colonisation of Ireland is the presence of Muslims amounts to 1.3% of the population, and Western fast food chains changing their menu choices hoping to appeal to them?

Dear God man I’d be more concerned about vegans colonising Ireland if that’s your idea of colonisation. The great thing about choice is that you aren’t forced to eat shìt you don’t want to, it’s why I don’t eat vegan shìt. I do understand where you’re coming from though - Abrakebabra, a wholly owned and operated Irish business, their kebabs have gone to shìt lately, or maybe it’s because I’m sober, but the point is they’re shìt anyway, so y’know what I do? I go to the local shop which is owned and operated by Muslims where their kebabs taste like like a heart attack wrapped in foil. Fcuking Heaven on Earth! 😂

Trust me, if McDonalds or Subway thought there was ‘ere a market for fish fillets for Catholics, it wouldn’t just be Pat McDonaghs Supermacs you’d have to traipse to for a fillet box! 😒

I have a very sophisticated palate, so I do 🧐

Ignore the point to try, and fail, to appear witty. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well Mark when you questioned the validity of my post because I'm a Christian, and a believer and follower of something that has not been factually proved, ( your words Mark , not mine. )so that would put a large Nr of people outside your terms of reference for sure! I presume that Followers of Islam (also being believers in God) is included in your list of un-approved contributor's? So your preferred posters should all be Atheists'?? Can you actually define who your ideal Boards contributors should be? Make it easy for every one....

Oh Fandymo the point wasn’t to try and appear witty, the point was your argument deserved nothing more than ridicule! It couldn’t be taken seriously if that’s your idea of colonisation!

In case you missed it, I asked you what political power do immigrants have in Ireland. The answer I would expect should consist of at least one of the regimes from the Stans actually sending their armies en masse to, y’know, actually colonise Europe.

Instead, they’re not sending ANYONE! They’re trying to keep what they see as a cultural invasion of Western liberal ideals out of their own countries! The immigrants coming here are trying to ESCAPE from their regimes, to make a better life for themselves and their families in Europe. They have fcukall political power, let alone the will, to want to topple European democracy. Most of them just want the same as every other ordinary European citizen - to be able to participate in society and provide for themselves and their families.

It’s not that I chose to ignore your point, it’s that you simply don’t have one, unless you want to take a second bite at the cherry and tell me that’s how they’re overtaking Europe by stealth - death by decent food. That’ll probably take half the time it would take to reproduce at a rate that would be of any significance whatsoever to effect a change in political power in Europe, but they’ll have to aim their political aspirations a bit higher than just running the local Kwik-E-Mart.

Nowhere in the definition of colonise is there an army mentioned. Doesn't give a timeframe either.

Belgium: ISLAM is a Belgian Islamist political party. It aims at the establishment of an Islamic state in Belgium and the replacement of the current and historically existing legal system in Belgium (civil law) with Islamic or sharia law. The party claims to "wait" for Belgium to inevitably become an Islamic state.

France: A relatively new Muslim political party, that wants to overturn the veil ban, is eyeing up a stronger presence on the French political landscape, announcing on Thursday that it will field candidates in eight areas at next month's regional elections. The Democratic Union of French Muslims (UDMF) wants to tackle the under-representation of Muslims in French politics. 

Look at the ghettos of Tower Hamlets, Molenbeek, Gennevilliers, Rosengård.

colonize

/ˈkɒlənʌɪz/

verb

verb: colonise

1. send settlers to (a place) and establish political control over it.
    2. "the Greeks colonized Sicily and southern Italy"
    • settle among and establish control over (the indigenous people of an area).
    • "they sought to discredit the peoples they were colonizing"
    • appropriate (a place or domain) for one's own use.
    • "a small town in a part of the Hudson Valley fast being colonized by weekenders"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Most of them just want the same as every other ordinary European citizen - to be able to participate in society and provide for themselves and their families.

Much like Mark, you seem to have a unique gift for mind reading, otherwise how in the world would you be able to make claims like this with such confidence? Especially when you consider the fact that we know statistically speaking, the majority of certain demographics are on the dole/welfare in many European countries. This is the usual issue though, you framing in a way that makes it seem like they are all the same, when different groups from different cultures behave differently, which is a distinction most of us have made hundreds of times. A EU immigrant from France and an African immigrant from Somalia share little to no similarities in motivations and in outcomes, but to you they are all the same, yet it's us who are the racists who generalize?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

A lot of asylum seekers are fleeing to the West because they are islamist extremists....

In Syria President Assad was a relative good guy. He was relatively peaceful and he held the country together. Extremist islamists tried to take the country over. With Iranian and Russian help he fought the islamists off.

The Islamists (fearing retaliation) from Assad then fled to the West.... there are plenty photos of asylum seekers giving "One God" finger gestures if you care to look.....

Islamic State made clear their intention was to send extremists to Europe.....

Some people here have actually been to the Middle East and know what they are talking about...

Advertisement