Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That's the thing too with this "better life" nonsense, it can mean anything from embracing Western culture, to simply having a better lifestyle financially and rejecting Western culture. it's way too general to even have any coherent meaning.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Yeah good point. Not enough houses to go around, taxes going up, public services like health always struggling, not enough school places.

I guess mass immigration from people that dont even speak english will solve these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well at least now I understand the definition of colonisation you’re working off, your argument is a little less ridiculous, and a lot more reasonable. So, in the spirit of good faith, I took your first example of the ISLAM political party in Belgium -

The party was founded with the intention of participating in the 2012 local elections. Lists were submitted in the City of BrusselsAnderlecht and Molenbeek-Saint-Jean. In Anderlecht and Molenbeek, one seat was won with just over 4% of the votes. In Brussels, party chairman Abdelhay Bakkali Tahiri narrowly mised being elected with 2.9% of the votes. Both seats were lost in the 2018 local elections.

Your argument is still as wildly unreasonable as suggesting that Ireland is being colonised when the country’s first Muslim TD was elected to Dáil Éireann back in 1992, and there hasn’t been a Muslim TD elected since -

Probably before your time, he was colloquially referred to as the Indian among the cowboys 😂

It just seems bizarre that people come to europe for a "better life", however by coming to europe they objectively make life worse for native Europeans. However if Europeans complain about this they are shouted down as being racist?

Why should Europeans not be able to get a "better life" by keeping immigrants out?

Europe was built by Europeans... we shouldn't be expected to share europe....

Some people here have actually been to the Middle East and know what they are talking about...

Is that what the question was about last night? You think because you spent time in Muslim countries you’re now an authority on World Politics?

Could you quantify “a lot” at all, or be more specific, seeing as you imagine you’re some sort of an authority on the matter?

I don’t have to have been to the Middle East to know what BS looks like, I know what it smells like without ever seeing it.

• Advertisement

About three years in the ME, including time in Iraq.

I obviously know more about the matter than you.....

A better life means just that - better than the life they currently have, or the life they expect to have if they stay in their home countries. It has a really coherent meaning that’s really not as difficult to understand as you make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You, as well as the rest of the Boards pro-immigration cohort, know that Ireland is a long way behind the rest of Europe. But with the "feelings over facts" mass psychosis that seems to have infiltrated the leaders of Europe and the EU it won't be long before we've caught up.

We've a justice minister telling illegal immigrants that they can have an amnesty to stay here and that "having convictions for minor offences will not, of itself, result in disqualification." Entering a country illegally or illegally overstaying a visa should not be a minor offence, but she's not even talking about this, she is talking about breaking the law whilst being here illegally. It is an absolute shambles.

Oh you’re actually serious? It IS an actual pissing contest. Great.

You could spend your whole life in ME, or Iraq, or wherever, and still come home clueless, as many, many people do. Y’know why? Because they’re big feckin’ countries with all sorts of cultural differences and nuance that simply cannot be fully understood nor articulated by one individual with their own biases and beliefs.

The matter is immigrants in Ireland, and the sum total of your contribution is “a lot of Muslim immigrants are extremists”. Well observed, Watson 🙄

I'd suggest someone that has spent 3 years in the ME knows more about multiculturalism than most....

• Advertisement

What has made it worse for Europeans? My life is not worse because of immigration, nor is the life of anyone I know.

I think it's great that we have a country so admired that people want to live here. What brought you here?

Hold your horses there a minute Fandymo and let’s examine that “facts over feelings” expression that’s become something of a mantra for some.

Your argument consists of rousing prejudice and scaremongering of immigrants with ideas like they’ll take over Europe by having all the babies and in about… ohh, 1,000 years, we’ll all be sorry we didn’t listen to you when we’re a minority in our own country.

Fact - We’ll all be dead by then.

Now if you want to go from there instead of channeling Enoch Powell and coming off more like Tommy Robinson, certainly as I’ve demonstrated already, I’m willing to give you a fair hearing. If your arguments are along the same lines as your previous efforts (I’ve seen better from you, which is why I said what I said this morning), then let’s both stop wasting each other’s time.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Why not stay and try and make their countries better places to live in so that they can have a "better life" there instead?

Europe was built by Europeans... we shouldn't be expected to share europe....

You planning on giving back all the resources which Europe took from foreign lands, forego all future resources which Europe needs from foreign lands?

I didn’t think so, but sure it makes for a rousing sound bite all the same.

No doubt you’re also an expert in survival techniques (I’m guessing you’re an expert in everything), so I would suggest you gather together all the people who share your ideals, find yourselves a bit of land that nobody else has any claim to, claim it for yourselves, and build your own nation from scratch. You can even call it Glocktopia* if you like, and see how you get on building a civilisation without any contact with the outside world.

*Wakanda was already taken.

Why didn't millions of Irish stay to make Ireland a better place, instead of emigrating?

It's a ridiculous argument. People do what is best for.them and their family and if that involves having to move to another country that's what thousands of families do every year.

You don’t imagine they considered that possibility already, and that it was a contributing factor in their decision to leave in the first place? Staying where they were, would have meant they would not have been making a better life for themselves or their families.

That’s not to discount the reality that there are many people in every country who stay because they want to make a better future for everyone. I know that’s one of the reasons I stayed anyways when all my friends were emigrating to other countries to make a better life for themselves and their families.

It wasn’t just because I ate a dodgy melon on a beach in Corfu once that made me have an epiphany, I swear…

I had the epiphany in the tiny bath, not entirely unlike many of the great Greek philosophers who did their best thinking on the porcelain throne 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I wouldn't now call Assad a good guy, but he did keep a lid on things.

The West (especially US and UK) did interfere and helped fuel the Arab Spring across North Africa and as far as Syria.

Funny enough they didn't do much to ferment in Arabian penisula or in the Gulf.

I guess some are regimes are ok even though they are worse than Assad's one.

Also the dream of the West, and the NGO organisations that chomped at the bit to get rid of these awful dictators, kinda turned very sour when the people didn't embrace secular western styled democracy, but either went with right wing islamists as in Egypt or just started slaughtering each other ala Libya.

In Syria Western backed groups ended up either just giving over the arms to islamists or were in fact islamists all along.

Also a lot of the ones that arrived in Europe were either young fellows that fled Syria rather than fight or were not Syrian at all at all.

Every other refugee crisis was made up of primarily women, kids and the old, but what we got recently was primarily young lads.

Especially those ones that seem to find their way to Libya.

But of course bubbly and the gang will tell us they had to leave their mothers, daughters and sisters at home becauese the trip to Europe was so hazardous.

Funny I would have thought being bombed and facing the prospect of getting caught by the child bride raping ISIS lads would be much worse.

I would definitely defer to your superior knowledge on BS .

Ehh did Dr Bhamjee arrive in Ireland without a passport ?

Did he arrive in Europe on a rubber dinghy by way of people smugglers and NGO taxi services?

I am not allowed discuss …

And how multicultural is the Middle East then? Not very I believe.

The above are not facts. They are your opinions, based upon nothing more than your own subjective interpretation of what evidence you have to hand, which is based upon your own initial feelings about immigrants and immigration. I already gave you an example of a fact, that is something which is based not upon subjective opinion, but objective evidence -

We’ll all be dead by the time you’ll have the opportunity to say “I told you I was right!”

As to your questions -

There can never exist such a concept as too much migration that couldn’t be considered anything other than a subjective quantity formed of an individuals own beliefs. That also answers your second and third questions.

It’s simply a question of implementing social policies which apply to any society as a whole, and those social policies will be determined by politicians, not by members of the ordinary general public. That’s why it’s difficult sometimes for me to take some peoples opinions seriously, as if they could ever muster enough numbers to present a credible threat to Irish society.

Here’s another fact - there aren’t enough people who agree with you to want to mobilise a political movement against immigrants in Ireland. Even the political party who claims to want to bring about a United Ireland, knows they cannot do so without the support of immigrants, well, that was before the current shower appeared to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory after such a promising start what with having passed the marriage equality and repeal of the 8th amendment referendums.

It turns out the electorate has a very short memory and will vote for anyone who they imagine will serve their interests best. If there were any interest in anti-immigration policies, the National Party would be tearing up the polls, but they’re not. Instead, they’re languishing at the bottom, which isn’t surprising as the party is made up entirely of bottom feeders.

• Advertisement

Again, Ireland is well behind the curve compared to the rest of Europe.

Give in even 10 years and this conversation will be on a completely different. Why follow the lead of the disaster in Europe when we can literally see what's happened. The cognitive dissonance is phenomenal.

The conversation will be no different, and if we’re both still alive then, you’ll be telling me give it another 10 years. I could give it another 100 years and we still wouldn’t be anything close to other countries in Europe, which I don’t imagine will remain static in that time either.

The same arguments you’re making now, are the same arguments that were made 20 years ago, 50 years ago, 100 years ago already. Waiting, always waiting… as opposed to acknowledging that you have already been proven wrong in the present when the same arguments you’re making now, were already made 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It turns out the electorate has a very short memory and will vote for anyone who they imagine will serve their interests best. If there were any interest in anti-immigration policies, the National Party would be tearing up the polls, but they’re not. Instead, they’re languishing at the bottom, which isn’t surprising as the party is made up entirely of bottom feeders.

More facile tripe. For a UK comparison, UKIP would be the closest we have to NP, and they've never done very well, likely due to how they approach they topic, or other issues attached, not because there's no demand at all. As we seen with Brexit, there was a large demand for something to be done about immigration.

Another issue, is that the topic has been made all but taboo in Ireland by our masters, it's literally never spoken of in anything but positive terms, which makes it hard to even discuss the issue, never mind making it a voting issue. In every country where anti mass immigration sentiment has grown, it's grown at least somewhat due to it being an issue that gets aired on radio/TV, which results in discussion and debate on the topic, in Ireland we seem years away from that. If you hadn't noticed, media in Ireland is possibly the least diverse in the world, there's no real debate on any contentious issues, and all the talking heads all have the same views. Few countries mirror us in such a manner, and it's the very reason many issues that should be topical never get to leave the ground, as the Irish airwaves are completely controlled. How are people meant to even know that certain issues are issues when they never even hear about them? General news reporting on crime certainly doesn't help either, when every outlet goes out of it's way to try and hide the truth about the demographics involved in said crime.

And once again, as has already been said by others, Ireland was late to the party, so the reaction will come later too if there ever is one.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

You don't think Germany, France, Greece, Italy are any different to what they were 10 years ago??

I find the posts about multiculturalism quite interesting, because it would be so simple to defend multiculturalism, if it had been a success on mainland Europe.

But it hasn't been a success. Almost all European nations have done a 180 on their attitudes towards multiculturalism. Germany, which was the champion of multiculturalism for decades, has said that it was a mistake. France has stated their own failures at integration of migrant groups. In spite of the EU mandate to encourage integration within Europe, all nations are reporting failures in managing to do so. Just as Germany, with one of the best educational systems in Europe, have reported difficulties in getting migrant groups to learn German, and adopt German cultural behaviors. Denmark has begun altering the rights of migrants in-country, and drastically reducing the amount of immigration from non-EU nations. And I could go on, pointing to all the nations that previously encouraged immigration, and lauded the supposed benefits of multiculturalism, but have since altered their policies dramatically away from past policies. Why would they do that, if it had all been the success that some here desperately want to believe?

But Ireland will be different... somehow. In spite of the fact, and it is a fact, that Ireland is following in the footsteps of European nations, in the pursuit of integration, adopting the "approved" action plans of European countries, even though those plans have failed. Yes, some success in integration has occurred, but in reality, considering the numbers of people involved, there have been far more failures.

And yet, it's not simply that Ireland will be different. It's the near constant dismissal of what's been happening for decades. The rise of ghettos, and ethnic enclaves is a reality. It's happened consistently across all European nations as foreign populations increase. So too has social unrest and crime.. (no, I'm not saying all migrants are criminals or break the law), but there is a remarkable desire by some to ignore the waves of trouble that have manifested in Europe over the last few decades.. bending over backwards to find excuses for migrant groups being involved.

I'm always a bit bemused by the posts which laud multiculturalism as being some kind of wonderful thing, because it shouldn't be hard for them to prove that it is... and yet... where are all these posts proving that it is a success. Not vague feel-good posts.. but posts that are able to point to the definite success and benefits of multiculturalism.

It shouldn't be hard to prove it.. no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

ohh, 1,000 years, we’ll all be sorry we didn’t listen to you when we’re a minority in our own country.

Fact - We’ll all be dead by then.

@One eyed Jack

Is this an argument for multiculturalism, that the worst repercussions won't be felt by us but the Irish people of the future ? Amazing.

You must be against all this environmental, reduce, re-use, recycle stuff too I imagine 😂

I should certainly hope so! It’s the whole point of progress - good for some people, not so good for others, and a real disaster for some people.

Overall though, have standards of living improved in Europe in the last ten years? Depends upon what criteria anyone is choosing to factor into any assessment. Again there will undoubtedly be considerable disagreement between the two extremes who are using criteria and evidence which suits their purposes to make their points.

Direct provision in Ireland, just to take one example, has either been a disaster, but in it’s time in operation, it’s made some people incredibly wealthy, and it’s created employment opportunities which will now be closed off as DP is wound down and alternative arrangements are made to integrate and accommodate refugees, asylum seekers, immigrants, into Irish society. Will that change the social landscape of Ireland? Undoubtedly. What positives and negatives will come from that will depend upon the positions people already hold. They’re unlikely to change their positions, so I don’t imagine immigrants will be any better represented in Irish politics than they aren’t already, any more than they aren’t represented in other European countries, even on other continents.

No, it’s not an argument for multiculturalism, it’s an example of an incontrovertible fact, as opposed to Fandymo’s opinions which they are putting forward and simply declaring them to be fact.

What you’re attributing to multiculturalism though, is actually not the success or failure of multiculturalism. It’s the admittedly abysmal failure of social policies. It wasn’t immigrants who decided upon those policies, nor did they have any influence on those policies.

The people who came up with those policies, and the people who are responsible for their implementation, are politicians who were elected by the people who were entitled to vote in national and European elections. It definitely wasn’t immigrants who put them in positions of power!

• Advertisement

Mass immigration obviously makes it harder for Irish to get houses.....

When I get on the Luas I'm amazed at how many non Europeans there are.... they are obviously staying in houses...

Advertisement