Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Can someone explain this? What is the connection between Eth retiring the term "Eth2.0" and ROSE? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

In a nut shell, ETH is going to change its design to that of ROSE.

Spend some time looking into it and come to your own conclusion as to how big ROSE will be in the coming years.

Rose is probably the most advance and efficient blockchain there is, readers here have got a head start on the herd with this knowledge, use it wisely.

The big guy is gonna copy the little guy and crush them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Like with all crypto it's hard to call. I remember when BCH was the second coin after Bitcoin and it was said it was suppose to be better. I even had some but luckily sold it when it went up in price last year or year before. look at how that coin is doing now. It's garbage now to put it bluntly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Polkadot potentially sponsoring Barcelona is very interesting.

Copying them isint really right word either....Ether have over 4000 developers now... they're the first and biggest show in town...Zilliqa is/was ahead technically....rose is/was ahead but Ether is king. Constant solid progression.

Buy the others, sell near the top if you can....write it off as a loss if they disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

For a beginner, where are the best places to news, tips and info on upcoming coins, new developments, etc?

So much sh1te to wade through it seems. I understand how to research a coin. Just want to know where everyone gets their latest info? Any recommended accounts or platforms?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not the best idea right now, given they were hacked last week.

My advice would be to ignore any video that has someones face (acting shocked, happy etc...), graphs of nothing, and big dollar signs.

Lots were hacked at the same time - more likely a Youtube issue than the channels fault

But yeah happy/shock faces avoid like the plague and anyone saying 100x or Crypto crash/pump coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Thanks lads. Have found whiteboard crypto on YouTube excellent for the education side. Coin Bureau is excellent too.

Got small amount invested at the moment, still getting to know the whole thing but definitely not rushing into anything. Approx 75% BTC, 15% CRO and 10% LINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Thanks for the reply. I think Eth has been planning this design for a while now, I've been adding where I can based on this, turning whatever the hot alt of the week is into Eth to build my stack. Not sure how it'll all shake out but the network effect of having so much being built on ethereum is hard to ignore. I still have some ROSE as well, it'd be nice to see it take off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Really stupid question, have been buying Bitcoin via coinbase, probably about €750 worth since middle of last year (big spender I know). Bought another €250 worth today.

My question, I did not transfer this to a wallet, its simply sitting on the app where I check the balance most days (value has been going up and down). Does this mean its just sitting on the exchange?

Today I installed a Coinbase wallet on my phone, I know it should all be in a wallet to keep it safe.

My question, I thought it was already in a coinbase wallet by virtue of me logging into their app and checking my balance? What is the difference? And if I transfer to this coinbase wallet that I downloaded on the phone (it generated 12 words as a key), will the coins still gain value if they are off the exchange so to speak?

My aim has always been to cash out when BTC reached close to 100k in value, im not into trading on a day to day, more a "buy and leave them there to gain value" merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Coinbase will keep it on their exchange, you don't have any private wallet. If they're hacked you could lose what you have.

The wallet you have downloaded will be a defi wallet that only you will have the keys to - you will need to transfer from the app to this wallet.

They will still gain if the coin gains. You just may not be able to stake/earn interest on other coins from the wallet (that's not relevant for btc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I have funds available to buy BTC/ETH but felt they would go lower (microsoft earnings better than I expected last night 😐️). The FOMO is torture! But bull trap alarm bells are ringing too. Such a tough decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Ok so I have transferred my BTC to my Coinbase wallet. Will I see the value fluctuate in my wallet just as I did when it was on the exchange in the app?

Or do I need to put it back on the exchange to see the value at any given time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

What can you see in the wallet? It should show the current value the same as the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

You should see live values on the wallet. What you are using is called a hot wallet. It's connected to the internet. It technically can be hacked and private keys extracted and your coins taken or accessed. It basically goes like this in terms of security (ignoring cost, hassle etc):

Worst = leaving coins on an exchange like Binance as you do not hold the private keys

Better = hot wallet like your Coinbase wallet (assuming private keys securely backed up). Not all wallets are equal so research is required.

Best = cold wallet (Trezor etc). Not normally connected to the internet. You have private keys on an external USB type device. You plug it in to your computer to see coins, trade etc so technically exposed at that point but a lot better than hot wallet which is always connected. Increasing security from here goes into things like multi-sig but I haven't explored this yet (would love to hear if others use multi-sig)

Main thing is get coins off exchanges- then read up on backing up private keys. You do not want to mess that part up. For some, leaving coins on an exchange for specific staking purposes is a known risk they accept.

In a massive nutshell: Public key = your home address (no one can mess with your coins by having this but they can send you coins). Private key = your front door key and alarm code (if someone gets this, they have your stuff and it's probably gone forever)

When considering whether to buy a cold wallet (only <€100), you have to ask yourself how bad would it be if you lost all your coins? If bad, buy a cold wallet. If you don't really care, and are just messing about with crypto with smaller amounts - it mightn't make as much sense but it's a personal decision. With a cold wallet you are not as reliant on third party apps like exchanges and wallets. However, if the entire blockchain goes down, you are snookered either way though but with bigger chains, it's far less likely. Assuming the blockchain is reliable - and you manage private keys properly, you are kind of your own bank with a cold wallet. There's something really interesting about that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you have a Samsung phone with Knox, put the wallet in the Secure Folder, which is pretty much equivalent to a cold wallet.

If you have a portfolio I'd hold off putting everything in. Dable a bit sure (personally I've reduced my DCA amount in half to stack some cash).

Reassess the market in Q2.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

@steamsey , good explanation, but one you'd hope someone who'd already spent a grand would have already uncovered for themselves..

«Assuming the blockchain is reliable - and you manage private keys properly, you are kind of your own bank with a cold wallet. There's something really interesting about that idea.»

Interesting but also disconcerting, I'd have thought..

Bank branch robberies are pretty much a thing of the past, given their upgraded security measures, but I'd speculate that robberies of people acting as their own bank will become more of an issue, if adoption takes off to an extent that many people have a large amount of fairly untraceable funds sitting in their homes..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Stop procrastinating and waiting for it to go lower and just average your way in, buy some now and each week and more if it goes lower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I still have my full portfolio intact but added funds a few weeks back in case of a dip (didn't foresee this drop tho). I invested a quarter of my cash in Ethereum a few hours ago (already up 3%!) will add the rest in in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Bought ETH, Rose and ZIL over the last few days. Feel like I've a nice spread now so happy where I'm at. Just about still on the clever side of don't invest what you can't afford to lose so I'm done buying before I cross that line. Let's see where we are in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Jafin

I was the same with Loopring. I bought some more at €1.05 last week and then it dropped to €0.65 a few days ago. Told myself I'd wait for it to drop a bit more and now it's back up over the €1 mark. C'est la vie.

Are the feds going to **** things up in 2 hours time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

I was watching InvestAnswers last night, and he had a table showing how the markets reacted to something like the last 20 times the Fed raised rates. Except for 2 occasions in the 70’s, the markets went up, sometimes a lot.

His point was, as long as it’s nothing nuts, it’s basically priced in, and once traders get the confirmation, that certainty will likely result in some sort of a rally

Here's hoping he’s correct 🤞

Advertisement