Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Couldn't ask for a better start to the final set than that!

Big hold from Medved - staring down 3 BP's but comes through

And FAA crumbles to a break following that in the next game, producing only his 3rd and 4th fourth DF's in the match.

As the commentators said, can often happen when there are missed opportunities in the preceding game.

Medvedev's to lose now if can hold his service here in the next game you'd think

And he does - 3-1 up

If Medved wins here it's a good comeback from Medved but also certainly a choke from FAA

And now a break up.

I really need to go out, but just can't!!

The momentum has really shifted here.

More screamers right on the 2nd serve action at 30-30 and Medved DF for a break point

Seriously some right knobs in the crowd at it continuously and deliberately, particularly at those big moment situations

But Medved goes clutch-mode again and takes his service game

So Medved proves that he has not a small bit of that Djokovic-type resilience in him

Some seriously clutch moments there in a number of games

FAA ahead on all match stats pretty much but tennis is about the big points.

Could be a good one vs Tsitsipas in the semis, even if Medved is comfortably ahead in the h2h

Some disgraceful deliberate shouting / screaming on Medvedev's 2nd Serve throughout the match, particularly on big points.

Asked how he came back by Courier, Medved says

I said to myself "What would Novak do?"

😂😂😂

High-level trolling by Medved

Love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

FAA will take a long time to get over that won. Two years in a row at AO he loses from 2-0 up. Medvedev played the big points so we'll, especially on his serve. Some clutch performance.

Also, given their history the semi against Tsisipas should be good. Hopefully a lot better than last year's anyway.

FAA has famously lost 8 ATP singles finals in a row also - has never won one.

Furthermore, he lost all 8 in straight sets - hasn't even won 1 set!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I like Jim Courier as a commentator, interesting and funny.

Medvedev is a bit of a character.

(need to go through to youtube to watch)

‘”you go in the emergency toilet for five minutes, you hit a let and don’t say sorry, you think you are a good kid? ‘Look at me, look at me huh!”

“He started it; he said “bullshit Russian,” is this normal?’

I answer him because he doesn’t know how to fight, he’s a small kid who doesn’t know how to fight. If he says something to me and he wants to fight, he needs to do it. If he wants to fight I’m okay about it. I don’t want to fight.

I can be a very bad guy sometimes, but here, what did I do?”

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten about his ATP record. In one sense getting to 8 finals and his age is extremely impressive, but to lose all 8. And some of his loses aren't exactly against brilliant opposition, especially Dan Evans in recent times.

It's one of those were he is so young that he has plenty of time but also the longer he goes like this the more damaging it becomes long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Nadal has it won

guaranteed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

That reminds me, has anyone seen Hector since the new platform was rolled out?

Kyrgios making friends and influencing people

You'd have to pity their doubles semi-finals opponents, especially as the match is being moved onto the show courts.

"Special K's" they are calling them!

“On the maturity side, you see why he’s never fulfilled his potential and probably never will,” Venus said.

“His maturity level, it’s probably being generous to about a 10-year-old, it’s at about that level.”

“They’ll always be his supporters and he’ll spin it in a way that helps him but at the end of the day he’s an absolute knob.”

I can understand why Venus is upset, but there's no point saying those things after you lose. Juts put your head down and get out of there.

You can only complain if you win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

He's banned, although Hego Damask sounds suspiciously like him...

Savage reactions and side-to-side coverage on a big point

Very intriguing men's SF lineup. Berrettini is the only one I'd say probably won't win it, beating Nadal and then either Medvedev/Tsitsipas seems like too big an ask. I'm a bit less confident about Medvedev after being taken to five today, but he's probably still the overall favourite. If Tsitsipas makes the final then he'll certainly fancy his chances against either opponent.

Relieved Swiatek beat Kanepi last night, but still one more banana skin left before potentially making the final. I obviously really want a Barty-Swiatek final, but honestly wouldn't be surprised if we end up with an all-American one. Barty-Swiatek would be great though, the home favourite plus some vocal support for Swiatek from the local Polish diaspora would make for a great atmosphere.

If Nadal somehow wins here (I don't believe that he will as either of Tsitsipas or Medvedev would beat him I think if he makes the final) I do think that it would be a definite Asterix moment (not that that would matter a crap to some kid googling in 20 years time) as Nadal was never ever beating Djokovic here.

He has only managed to win 1 set out of the last 20 sets they played against each other on hard courts - not a hope of beating him over 5 sets in a place where Nadal won the title once, 13 years ago and where he got the worst GS final rinsing of his career from the man in 2019 in a little over 2 hours.

• Advertisement

Being a supporter of the deportee, the best case scenario for me would be wins for Berrettini and Tsitsipas and I could enjoy the final in a bit of peace.

Worse case scenario would be wins for Medvedev and Nadal in the semis with Nadal going on to win the final. If they contest the final I'd stomach Medvedev taking No. 1 in Feb as long as Nadal doesn't pull ahead in the GS titles race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tsitsipas was very impressive against Sinner, although he has a bad record against Medvedev, I'd give him a decent chance of beating Medvedev.Until or if he wins a slam I'd still question whether he's made of the right stuff, has the game, but like a lot of the younger guys a question mark remains about his mental strength. Also not too sure about his fitness levels, even though he won relatively easy today, he looked fairly knackered at the end, so would have my doubts about his stamina in a 5 setter.

Medvedev really should win it from here, he has the confidence and belief from the USO win and got out of a sticky situation today (FAA really needs to learn how to win / close out big matches), so can have no excuse if he doesn't do it. Still wouldn't totally discount Nadal, mainly as he just never gives up and will fight to the bitter end, had thought Berrettini would take care of him in semi final, but the more I think about it, I think Nadal will grind him down and make the final and put it up to most likely Medvedev, but, think he will ultimately run out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

It's always the same with Nadal, a few weeks ago playing ****, loses v Murray ... and now ... boom ... a bit of luck with the draw, other players doing him favours by beating/tiring others and he will definitely win it now.

I bet Djokovic is kicking himself he didn't get the vaccine, he would have won this easily...

I got money on him at 6.5-1 ... just missed out on 9-1, as soon as Djoko was deported his odds upped ...

Will be a sad sad day for tennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Well, Alizé Lim (for it is she) is certainly not there on the basis of her tennis achievements. She won a grand total of 18 games in the main draws of Grand Slam singles. Yes, that's games, not matches, not even sets. All at the French Open, courtesy of main draw wildcards from 2014 to 2017. She won 3 small ITF singles titles, the best at 25k level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I really fancy Medvedev for the title. There is something about him that makes me feel he is the one that is going to sweep away the old guard.

If he wins this, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see any of the hitherto top 3 win a grand slam ever again.

Medvedev is so strong. It's scary how strong he is. The way he fought back to win 2 sets down in his last match is reminiscent of Djokovic. He's got the same kind of bottle Djokovic has.

And I just love watching him play, the way he plays. He makes it look so straightforward. If you were to use a tennis player as an example of how to play, technique wise, he would be the last person you'd use. He just makes it look so effortless, as if he has no technique at all. He's really unique in that regard.

Oh dear, this is looking like a demolition job on Keys by Barry.....

She'd want to up her game fairly rapid or it'll all be over while she blinks.

Far too many unforced errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Like a lot of big ball-bashers, Keys has always been vulnerable against any opponent who defends very well (Stephens in the US Open final), and someone with variety in their game, especially slice.

Barty is labouring a bit now, probably just the weight of expectation. Serving first in the second set should help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭poppy37

Good performance from Barty but Keys was very poor. I noticed some tape on Barty’s midriff, hopefully precautionary. There will be some atmosphere on Saturday especially with an all Aussie men’s doubles final as well.

Collins is out all guns a-blazing right from the off!

Hoping Iga can settle soon and make a game of it.

Same as Keys earlier, too many unforced errors so far.

Great defence of match point no 1 - what a point!!

Clinical demolition in the end though.

The 2 women's semi finals lasted a combined 2hrs 20mins. What a load of absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement

Fairly bad value alright.

But anyone else thing that the mens' finalists will all be half dead by Sunday? Have any of them NOT had 4+ hour 5 setters most of the way?

Yes; Tsitsi's 5 setter was the 4th round though, whereas all the others' 5-setters were in the quarters. And his quarter was barely 2 hours long. Whether that freshness will be enough to give him an edge over the bear in their semi remains to be seen. I think Nadal will have to beat Berretini in straight sets on the other side.

Wow Tsits was imperious yesterday. Completely blew Sinner away and Sinner wasn't playing badly. Tsits was taking the ball so early. Can he reproduce that form though? Converting 100% of break points and not facing even one yourself is unreal.

Not to sound over dramatic but the women's game is in a really bad place at the minute. The quality is just so poor at the moment. It's almost like none of them actually want to win anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Rubbish. It would be one of his best achievements. These things work themselves out. Other players won Slams when he was injured in the past

I'm merely pointing out that in the last 20 sets that Nadal played against Djokovic on hard courts that Nadal has won 1 set of 20 and in fact Djokovic has won 19 consecutive sets

That's a fact and quite a "trajectory"

But sure what chance will have any of them have when Shapovalov switches hands, grows 2 inches, puts on 30 pounds, develops a consistent 140mph+ serve, loses the flaky attitude and starts to dominate Nadal* and is able to close out a match?

*(when he has a dodgy stomach and half-heatstroke)

I left the Shapovalev stuff where it was not to ruin the thread, but you seem to want to bring it back up. He won't need to improve in any of the areas you outlined, he already has the game. His inexperience and consistency is what's let him down so far, which you think shouldn't be the case, but that's par for the course for a 22 year old. His potential is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Should be playing best of 5 sets in these tournaments, all things being equal............................

The "changes" were obviously a reference to your ill-fated Roddick comparison.

It's also just a fact that the consistently top players in male tennis start to produce at an early age - before 20 or 21 in most cases.

Shapovalov will be bucking the trend severely if he goes on to be a top player in that regard.

You talk about the fact that he's 22 (he's actually nearly 23, in April) but he has been playing tennis from the age of 5 - so he's had over 17 years to "improve".

Even when players are very young they are playing matches and honing their match tennis and mental game. Not a few players as juniors are dominant but then find out that they are not near the top mentally when they get to the ATP.

He's in his 6th professional season on the ATP. He has 1 ATP 250 title to his name.

He got to one Wimbledon SF but go back and look at the draw he had also. It was very kind with no players who have any showing on grass really and no consistent ATP performers (Murray in early stages of coming back from injury again and in poor form).

He lost in straight sets to Djokovic. Shapovalov was competitive in the sets but equally Djokovic was able to, as a matter of course, take the big points when neede, as he has done again and again. As Shapovalov has shown no consistent ability in doing.

He has been in development for nearly 18 years.

That's why the real potential in tennis players in all areas game and mental resilience is shown at what people might consider a "young" age.

Pretty much the only serious example of a real late developer in recent times was Stan Wawrinka but he was a complete rarity.

More common to have all the "talents" like Dimitrov (similar SF and QF as Shapovalov at same age), Kyrgios, Gulbis etc who had more natural talent than Shapovalov and never achieved that much for different reasons

So it's going to be bucking the trend if he goes on to be a Wawrinka especially when you have good young players there and some better and younger ones on the way up (Alcaraz who is not near his ceiling yet as not long on tour, Sinner who was a skier for 4 years before going back to tennis) etc.

Especially for a guy who actually fancies himself as a rapper and is recording and releasing rap singles as well as being in tennis!

Shapovalov has displayed poor mental focus over his career so far in big matches on the big points (like against a compromised Nadal who himself said that he expected to lose going into the 5th set) and that's not something that can be learned very well, at all.

Very disappointing to end up with a Barty-Collins final, not convinced I'll even bother to get up and watch it. Hopefully at least it'll be a good match with Barty winning.

• Advertisement

My Roddick comparison was not ill fated and I stand by it. They both had/have extremely powerful ground strokes. At Wimbledon Djokovic was hanging on in all 3 sets, until Shapovalev collapsed under pressure. But Shapovalev could meet Djokovic on his terms in rallies and bully him. Medvedev beat Djokovic with size and serve. If smaller beaten out the gate if relying on his groundstrokes and technical play.

You're disingenuous in terms of his development. He's happened to be the youngest of his peers, in terms of this generation breaking through. Always a year or two behind in development, whereby these are the guys who beat him in tournaments. It's only starting to level out now, they've reached their potential, he's catching up big time now.

Federer won his first Slam at 23. With it came composure and consistency going forward. There's nothing to suggest this couldn't be the same for Shapovalev.

Every tennis neutral should be rooting for him, unless they want the game dominated by limited 6"6 donkeys going forward

Depends.... is more of the same (shite) what is really needed, or wanted?

Speak for yourself - I've found lots of the women's games this tournament hugely entertaining.

No, they're not as physically strong as men, but that doesn't mean they're shite.

So now you're comparing Shapovalov to Federer?

Ah here.

And not for the first time, you're totally incorrect saying that Federer was 23 when he first won Wimbledon - Federer was still 21 when he first won it.

Like seriously.

Federer was clearly a lot more talented and had an actual "trajectory" of achievement as he had also had won 8 other ATP titles in advance of winning his grand slam.

Shapovalov is nearly 23 and has 1 ATP 250!

And Roddick himself was a big-serving donkey himself with a limited overall game and sub-elite mobility so again - terrible choice of comparison.

Roddick actually lost more games than he won over his career at Roland Garros - that's a complete joke for a supposed "top player"!

Interesting point about the big 3's dominance for the last 15 years. Will it really be that much more interesting when their dominance ends. Take the women's game, you regularly see players from outside the top 30 in slam semis and finals, names many would never have even heard of, I dunno if the variety adds any interest at all.

Some people find watching bowls entertaining

Even when it's not some straight sets match wrapped up in little over an hour, the quality of play is undoubtedly way behind, not just the power.

I was watching some of the Kanepi - Swiatek match there the other night - it took 9 set points for Kanepi before one was converted in the first set - terrible.

We also saw Sabalenka serving a DF for every 1 of 2 second serves for the 2022 season so far and she made it to the second week of this slam.

You could go to a club tennis match and if it was a close match, some might find it entertaining to watch. But that doesn't mean that the quality is going to be any good.

Tsitsipas beat Sinner in straight sets there yesterday but go watch the match - it was high quality, even from Sinner.

But it's also not just the quality, it's the quality of consistency.

Consistency is an important part of the quality of a tour also.

Last year across the 5 big WTA events of the 4 slams and the Olympics, of a possible 20 semi-finalists, 18 were different players.

In the 4 slams I believe that it was 24 or 26 different quarter-finalists out of 32.

Not only is the overall quality in the WTA low, it's consistently low.

I'll hold my hands up with Federers age. Must of conflated it with the year he won Wimbledon. That still doesn't take away from Shapovalevs talent and potential. No one saying he'll win 20 Slams.

In terms of what they've one up until this point, you continue to ignore what I pointed out. Shapovalev has been consistently beaten by his peer group in tournaments, where he was behind in development. That's only leveling out now.

Your hung up on this Roddick point. I simply said they had powerful ground strokes, nothing more nothing less. What young player has better ground strokes than Shapovalev?

The ATP Tour is not an age-graded tour - and never has been.

Players have to achieve vs all the other players so talking about peer groups here is moot and irrelevant.

When Sinner won 5 titles by age 20 he wasn't playing under 20.

Shapovalov has no record of any note in terms of achievement in winning titles by nearly 23, that's the fact.

And his mental side has and continues to be suspect and that's the biggest reason and it's not something that you can develop in most cases - it's mostly pretty set by that age.

Groundstrokes are going to be irrelevant if that's never going to be there.

Sinner, Alcaraz and Tsitsitpas (23) all have better all-around groundstrokes game imo.

And Sinner and Alcaraz who are years younger actually can claim to be still in development.

That's my opinion and not really the issue here to be going into a circle about.

The big issue is Shapovalov's mental focus and stability.

But it won't be the case that nobodies and one-hit wonders who in relative terms disappear after regularly will be winning the ATP slams

Going back to the very start of the Open era that has never regularly happened over a period in the ATP

You had the odd rare case of an established former player coming back where he had a big surface advantage like in 2001 Wimbledon before the new and more durable grass blend took effect where Ivanisevic was able to win (he had been to 3 finals and 2 semi-finals there before). But the days of just a big server going through Wimbledon to win are long gone.

There were a few once-off winners on clay at RG or in but they were recognised clay players and most had a good clay career overall

Johansson in the 2002 AO was a bit random

The "big 3" are already gone a while as the "big 3" (since the end of 2019) but the players getting to the quarter-finals and semi-finals are recognised players and the higher-ranked seeds and that will continue to be case largely with consistency and with actual consistent rivalries in place

The biggest downfall of the WTA since 2010 on has been the lack of rivalries and the standard just slipped from there. Rivalries amongst consistent top players go a long way to maintain a standard and pass at least some of the standard on to the up-and-comers

Once you have a core of at maybe 6 players who can play pretty consistently well the tour is maintained with rivalries in place

Player ranked in the Top 10 (and most probably the Top 6) will be those winning the slams, not one-hit wonders

(with decent ones coming up and existing others trying to fight in)

e.g. Medvedev - Tsitsipas,

Alcaraz coming into the top level over the next year or so to create more rivalries

Thiem maybe if he manages to get back

Zverev will be a consistent quarter and semi-finalist even if he might never win

Berrettini is looking like a solid Top 10 player who is not going to fade off anytime soon

Sinner

Djokovic will be around at some slams at least for the next few years. As will Nadal

FAA if he can manage to develop the "killer instinct"

• Advertisement

I'm aware it's not age graded, therefore competing against players further along in development. The mental side can come, if he gets over the line in a big tournament, everything changes.

The other 3 you mentioned aren't close in terms of groundstrokes. When Shapovalev is on form, you cant trade with him in rallies, Djokovic was hanging on for his life. He's too powerful and good. But needs consistency. But when feeling it, pushes you back with power. Zverev didn't know what to do. Even my girlfriend, watching the highlights and knows nothing about tennis, was taken by his forehead, raw power.

It's all hypothetical, but I think once he puts it all together, he'll be brilliant. If he develops how I think he will, there'll be few players who will be able to live with him. But I'm done with this subject now

Advertisement