Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Of course they are but they didn't sell everything and hold cash waiting for a collapse as we were lead to believe was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Going to be an interesting few months for US stocks in particular. Cancel those avc's better price point at the end of year I suspect.

Will be interesting in how it spills over into property

It all depends on how long the stock market bleeding continues and what the fed come out with tomorrow.

At the moment the only impact that I can see is where people have invested their house deposit in the stock market rather than keep it in a bank but they should still have it if invested wisely and didn't chase the tech stocks like the majority of retail investors.

I came across an Interesting paper on housing supply Elasticity in Ireland this morning whilst looking at the Central banks Quarterly bulletin

The most interesting part was that for housing supply coming on stream to increase by 50% prices would need to rise 24% or costs would need to drop by 40%

Lastly, our findings have implications for public policy. It is the stated goal of Irish housing policy, in the 2021 Housing for All strategy, to increase completions from roughly 20,000 per year to over 30,000. The analysis here suggests that, for a 50% increase in supply to happen, prices would need to increase or costs to fall. Taking the 50-year analysis of national completions, the estimated HSE of 2.07 implies a 24% increase in prices would be needed to generate a 50% increase in supply. The same specification gives an elasticity of supply with respect to costs of -1.3, meaning a fall in construction costs of nearly 40% would be needed to achieve the same effect.

source: http://www.ronanlyons.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Lyons-Moenert-2021-11-Housing-Supply-Elasticity-in-Ireland.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

People say this every few months.

Dont cancel your AVCs. That would be stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

The boom is back

And more importantly I see Microsoft beats on earnings and revenue with upbeat guidance. (Irelands economy is built on US MN companies)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

Thats interesting in the context of the Central Banks bullish outlook for the economy and the end of their commentary. Somethings not adding up;

With the economy likely to approach capacity limits through 2023, planned or necessary public expenditure on priorities such as climate action, housing or healthcare will have to be carefully managed. The overall stance or composition of fiscal policy may have to be adjusted to avoid excessive inflationary pressures. Sustainably addressing challenges in housing will be important in maintaining Ireland’s competitiveness and relative attractiveness as a place to live, work and do business.

Source: https://www.centralbank.ie/publication/quarterly-bulletins/quarterly-bulletin-q1-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Two things to show up the CBI in it's quarterly bulletin;

1. The inflation blame game ignores QE/public spending and low interest rates. That's like writing about the causes of climate change and ignoring the burning of fossil fuels.

2. The CBI seem to think the economy can generate 167000 jobs in the next three years. While not all of those will be taken on by new arrivals into the country, I think our housing crisis would put a question mark beside this estimate. As it stands there are 1600 rentals in the entire country available and that covers everything. This housing crisis will act as a ball and chain around economic growth unless we can get 35,000+ new homes per year out there into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

EOB

While Real Estate Investment trusts continue to pay no tax, small/semi professional landlords are paying incredibly high rates. Sinn Féin and others have proposed multiple solutions to @DarraghOBrienTD but instead, he’s sat back and watched more small landlords leave the market. https://t.co/vCaqpNIDny

• Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is stupid advice. With an AVC you are getting tax relief. You could lose a years investment tax relief. WL the stock exchange fall 40%. As well an employer may be matching your investment

It one thing to advise moving more of the fund to cash or to lower risk and investment but advising cancelling an AVC shows how much you understand investment.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Cash is used to bet against the market also. Nasdaq shares are getting hammered. Its starting to spread into the Fangs. Our economy is heavily tech exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So the tax benefit of an AVC is 40% at the higher rate. Employers often match or even got 1.5tomrz contribution. An employee might be putting 60 net of tax , revenue are contributing 40euro. If an employer is contributing it's another 100-150 euro.

If you switch to cash or low investment a pension fund cannot risk that money. You have not got a clue about pension/investment and your advice is idiotic

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Supply and Demand needs a supply of money too.

Lots of people might demand a property but if they don't have the cash the seller wants, it's not going to be sold is it?

I would cancel now and load up for the end of the year. Also take a look at your pension plan I was a bit shocked at how exposed they are to the USA. Time to diversify

They've also backed off non renewable energy stocks since October due to environmental policies. Since then energy has boomed

while renewable is in a bubble ready to pop

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

So is the 5% national price increase this year still likely?

The residential REITs in the US down 13% since the start of January.

Read the quote

Cancel now resume later in the year at better price points. Read in full please

Pension funds are charged for holding cash. Revenue will do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭HBC08

Thats not the case in this situation.Demand isn't just a bit off supply,there's a huge chasm and it's only getting bigger.

People with approved mortgages,cash buyers,investment companies,councils and more are all going for the same very limited properties. After that you have other cohorts who are demanding houses but in reality have no means to make this happen.None of this can be solved in the medium to long term.

Houses prices will rise steadily for the next 5 years and I'd nearly say more than that.There simply is no other outcome.

According to SF alternative budget their answer to the issue is to increase tax on REITS so they are paying as much as landlords. Don't see how that addresses small landlords leaving the market.

• Advertisement

How do they publish such rubbish, do they not have any proof readers

Inflation at 2.4% for 2021

How can you have any confidence in them forecasting the future if they can't get the past right.

If inflation went over 5% in 2021 with the country in semi lockdown. Its really going to take off with all those people left out at the same time with significant savings. Think of it like going on a holiday when the schools are open v when they are closed.

Folks please give serious consideration to fixing your mortgage for as long as possible. I think they could be the tracker mortgages of the next decade.

The age of cheap money is coming to an end.

Note I'm not a financial adviser

To bet against the market you need to short the stock which involves borrowing it at x price, selling on the market for x (which is more or less cash neutral) and then hoping to buy at a cheaper price in the future to return the stock to individual that you borrowed from and that way turn a profit. My point is that you don't need cash to bet against the market, you just need it if your bet goes sideways or if you need to post a margin call due to your bet not looking like it was working.

My reading of it is that there is a risk that the economy will overheat and workers looking for higher wages which in turn will create inflation. A way of preventing this inflation is to reduce spending but that if the do this it will create further issues such as the ability to find a place to live hence why it needs to be managed carefully.

Does that mean a fixed tax on rental income or just raising the tax on REITS to match private LL. A fixed rate does sound fair however how will they justify taxing renters and not putting a similar tax on homeowners

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭hometruths

Folks please give serious consideration to fixing your mortgage for as long as possible. I think they could be the tracker mortgages of the next decade.

Totally agree with this, going to be a lot of wailing "But people told me interest rates would never rise again" over the next ten years.

Thanks for the correction, I'm glad I did not fully understand that

The figure they quote and always use is the annual average inflation for CPI in 2021 which was 2.4% according to the CSO

Annual average inflation for CPI in 2021 was +2.4%

The annual average rate of inflation in 2021 was +2.4%. This compares to a fall of 0.3% for 2020 and an increase of 0.9% for 2019. 

The largest year-on-year price increase was recorded in December 2021 when prices rose by 5.5% compared to the previous December.

My reading of it is that they plan to just raise REIT's tax's to match private LL. The devil is in the detail with SF policy as the soundbites normally don't match up with the detail. SF are not alone in this all political parties use smoke and mirrors.

Inflation isn't stopping and it's not going to end well. It never does.

I'd advise anyone looking to go on holiday this summer to book their flights now. Airlines are the next sector to see rapid price increases.

• Advertisement

I read recently that if inflation was calculated the same way as it was in the late 80/90's it would be 15% in the USA. Frightening.

Advertisement