Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Rates won't be higher than 2% max in 5 years as once they start to rise they will choke growth and push the economy into recession and as a result they will need to cut them again to stimulate growth. This has been the pattern for 40 years with rates going lower overtime.

Have a read of the CBI Quarterly bulletin it is very clear on the driver of inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Those savings will soon evaporate, any inflation from savings during lockdown will be transitory - its inflation from other causes thats the issue here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭hometruths

When you say 2% I presume you mean ECB rate rather than domestic mortgage rates?

Quarterly bulletin basically puts inflation down to:

Disruption to global supply chains, surging demand and the rise in energy prices remain key factors in explaining the higher rates of consumer price inflation in Ireland and the euro area.

Energy prices are not going to fall anytime soon. Nor is demand as long as interest rates remain where they are.

And in my opinion supply chains are unlikely to revert to prepandemic norms sufficiently enough to cool prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

Unfortunately we will have an election within this time frame that is a potential risk to this being 'managed carefully'.

In fairness the current crop would hardly inspire confidence that they would manage it carefully either.

In particular regarding property price inflation, thats been going on for almost a decade with 2 of the 3 current government parties overseeing such rises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Can we close this and start a 2022 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Wall Street has gone way ahead of main street. Interest rates are the root cause. It needs to be rebalanced. It should have started 5 years ago

Yes I am talking about then ECB rate so it would be the equivalent of adding 3% to todays mortgage rates.

The surge in demand was orginally driven by covid savings and deferred spending but as wage have increased this has leads to further demand and more than likely will continue to push inflation higher. I agree that without the economy cooling or rates rising this demand will continue. however it is important to note that a rate increase of 0.25% when rates are low/negative is the equivalent of a 1% rise if rates were up at 5%. So the ECB would not need to raise rates by much to cool the economy.

I also agree that energy prices are not going to fall anytime soon. But likewise we will not see the level of growth in energy prices as we have done in the past year. To put in context in the last year oil rose by 67% to have this same level of growth from todays oil prices it would mean 150$ a barrel which is unlikely to happen. This will mean that energy inflation will be substantially lower this year which will drive the overall CPI down from the levels they are at today.

Who knows what will happen with supply chains but the one area of the supply chain that has caused large increases in inflation is with regards chip manufacturing (especially with the impact on second hand car prices). Factories are currently being built so this particular bottleneck should resolve itself this year or next.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the energy price rises due to supply issues with gas rather than crude? That and carbon taxes, countries shutting down nuclear plants etc

Crude wont go that high, but gas can and probably will go much higher, especially are more countries' grids attempt to decarbonise and add renewables - almost all reserve for renewables is built on gas. Regardless of what happens in Ukraine/Russia, gas prices are only going one way

Adding 3% to todays rates would be a very big deal to most FTBs. Enough to significantly reduce their budgets hence demand across all price points.

I take your point on oil in the near term, I don't think it will be $150 next year but I do think it will get there and beyond over the next decade, pulling prices across the board up with it. I think we'll see it over $100 this year.

Re supply chains, what I meant is the bottle necks caused by pandemic is likely to spell the end of JIT inventory for lots of businesses. Sure the bottle necks will eventually get sorted, but those who previously relied on JIT will be once bitten, twice shy. It's inflationary not because parts/components/stock are unavailable, but because they are available and customers will cover the carrying cost of that.

• Advertisement

This time last year central bankers around the world were warning that the financial world was not longer representing what was happening in the real economy. There was a big sell off but that didn't last long as the USA stepped in with more stimulus which send the message that it won't let the stock market crash and as a result you had a massive rally for the rest of the year which sucked in more and more cash as greed set in without any real fear. All that is happening at the moment is that an element of fear is back as investors don't know what the FED will do... Despite the FED signposting their intentions for a long time.

If you are suggesting that interest rates should have started to rise 5 years ago then you probably have forgotten that FED did raise rates by a small amount 4 years as the economy was strong and in this resulted in the economy grinding to a halt and the FED had to step and reduce rates again to prevent a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Why are you so sure rates wont rise? Because it ll strangle economic growth?

What's more politicly damaging? unemployment or high inflation? I think latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If people think there is no quick fix to housing costs, raise interest rates to 3% and overnight you'll see a lot of properties coming to market.

Interest rates will rise irrespective of what happens in our property market.

Plenty of other quick fixes too though. If a few them coincide with interest rate rises we'll see a bit of a correction to put it mildly.

Currently housing is such an attractive investment because price inflation & rental yield beats any bonds or savings available - were interest rates to rise, this would be a less attractive investment option, & many corporate entities may exit the Irish market (or downsize).

Near 0% interest rates is always going to lead to asset inflation somewhere - were rates to rise not only property prices but also stocks would likely see a big drop. There aren't many asset classes out there that wouldnt drop with a rise in rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Irrespective of how true the statement is, this wont win the Taoiseach many votes!

Inflation is forecast to be 4.4% this year and dropping to 2.4% in 2023. Unemployment in the Eurozone is still 7+% and until this drops to sub 5% it will influence interest rates. The USA and UK both have unemployment under 5% plus high inflation so they have no option but to raise rates to prevent a wage inflation spiral. The EU as a whole does not have this issue (although some countries do) and can wait longer before they would get into a wage/inflation spiral.

The ECB is not a political party or influenced by political parties so they will not care much if there policy is politicly damaging to any political party.

Rates will rise once the ECB start QT which will have an impact on all market rates (including mortgage rates) in the EURO but this will have no impact on the ECB base rate which I would expect to still be negative or close to zero by the end of the year regardless of inflation because undertaking QT will take the heat out of the economy.

If the ECB and all other economists have got there predictions on inflation wrong and it continued to be 4+% in 2023 then possibly we may see the ECB rate rise to 0.25% but I would only give that a 10% chance of occurring.

Any government would pick higher inflation over high unemployment any day of the week as the tax take increases and the real value of the debt they have falls.

Was it to actually prevent a recession or to prevent a stock market crash.

They are 2 different outcomes

Where is the inflation in the USA, housing?

Even if rates rose by 3% it would do little to dampen demand from FTB's as the mortgage repayment cost is not the issue for them. In fact for most FTB's that are paying rent it would still be significantly cheaper to buy even if mortgage rates rose by 3%

I should add that the 3% is over a 5 year period and that is on the assumption that there were no shocks to the economy and that we had 5 years growth similar to what is in place today. If there was a shock to the economy or lower growth rates may only rise as little as 1% over the 5 year horizon.

The other thing to note is that even if rates did rise fast and quickly it would not impact the majority of mortgage holders as something like 90% of mortgages are fixed for 3-5 year period. So they would not initially be impacted by rising rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

a breakdown on these numbers would be good, wonder how many of the 20k left due to the cgt exemption? also how many have a mortgage out on 2nd house they are letting. do people think rising rates would effect (m)any of those landlords?

• Advertisement

Oil was one of the biggest contributors to inflation in 2021 and last years prices rises will be felt in a secondary bout of inflation in 2022 as the last years oil prices lead to higher prices in the shops of a wide range of goods this year due to higher input and transport costs.

You are right in saying Gas has increased in price more than oil and that will be felt consumers in heating bills and to a smaller extend in prices in the shops due to increased electricity costs (especially fertiliser costs). The main reason for this is that most of the manufacturing of goods takes place in China and there economy is not as exposed to Gas prices. But yet these goods do need to be transported and every boat/Plane/truck will all use Oil.

It was because the economy stopped growing.

The inflation in the USA has become across the board as they reached full employment which lead to wage increases which lead to the broad based inflation as more money chases fewer goods.

Some of the data can be found here:

Rising rates would impact landlords as they would be able to get a similar return else where for a lot less effort so you would expect to see them exit the market and reduce the no number of rental properties available which in turn would push up rent prices or where that was capped by the RPZ the actual task of finding a property would be a lot harder.

I don't think the REIT's and institutional landlords would leave the market because property is not a liquid asset and a lot of these investors are the likes of pension funds who will be interested in the regular cashflow. I would expect that new investments in properties would slow if investors could find a more liquid risk free asset that was paying an equivalent yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

So the economy is overheating, raising rates is the natural weapon in such circumstance 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

He and his older brother have done fairly well out of blocking new housing developments around Cork City.

The USA economy looks like it is overheating because of the tight labour market. And that is why they are signposting rate increases in march this year and looking to shrink it's balance sheet.

The issue with the USA raising rates is that tightening monetary conditions to deal with an overheating USA economy has ripple effects else where around the world as the dollar is the global currency. Just look at developing currencies who have issued Debt in dollars rather than in their own currency. These countries have to raise rates in their country regardless of economic conditions to protect their currency as they need to repay the debt in dollars. This in turn can cause deep recessions in these developing countries which will pull down global growth.

Would the dollar be as strong if the stock market was correcting to more appropriate prices.

• Advertisement

Raising rates to 3% overnight would result in less demand in housing from institutional investors and may result in small Landlords exiting the market which would result in an small increase in the supply of houses for sale at the expense of renters who end up with a reduced supply of rental properties available.

The Demand for housing still exists and due to the fact that most mortgage holders are on a fixed rate it would not have an immediate impact on them so you wouldn't expect a uptick in properties for sale from mortgage holders running into financial difficulty. If anything they may put off selling their existing house and moving to a new a house if it resulted in them taking out a new mortgage.

Added to that the cost of financing projects by developers would increase which would push up their breakeven point which may result in less properties being built by the private the sector.

I have laid out my thought process and explained why I think there would only be a modest uptick in supply of houses for sale. So can you please elaborate on why you think overnight you will see a lot of properties coming to the market if rates upped up 3% overnight.

Advertisement