Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

The yellow boxes won’t fix volume. The athgarvan road junction out of the industrial estate and it’s main junction near the whitewater are always full. The lights at the credit union are not in sequence with the lights either side of it which causes a lot of problems. That whitewater junction should never have exited to Main Street. The lights near Dunnes have issues with McDonalds volume blocking all access. It’s traffic volumes and it’s going to get a lot worse with all the new houses on the athgarvan road near the cemetery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

You are preaching to the converted! if the search function actually still worked on boards i'd find a post i made in this very form years ago saying pretty much the exact same. Traffic lights out of sequence, cutlery road should be one way in the opposite direction, and there should be no ext/entry onto the cutlery road from the white water under ground car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Does anyone know what (if any) road layout changes are being put in place at the new Kilbelin Abbey estate at the junction between The Hall and Athgarvan Road ?

Currently traffic going towards Curragh/Athgarvan is completely stopped at this junction by someone turning into The Hall. I'm assuming having traffic coming from a new estate will make thinga even worse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

This drawing taking from the KCC planning website would appear to indicate that there may be right turning lanes to Liffey Hall coming from the Town Centre and a right turning lane from Athgarvan direction to the new development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Have to agree on the McDonalds junction. I was up the town yesterday and the traffic was queued from Ballymoney direction trying to get past the traffic turning in to get McD's. I have seen this on many occasions ( am never around during the week so have no idea how good/bad it is then ).

Surely the entrance to McD's and KFC should be from Moorefield Road?

It was part of the planning permission that no traffic entering on that side due to residential estate and no late opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 swamy

Hi all,

We will most likely be moving to Newbridge, during this summer. I found a lot of my questions about the area, already answered in this thread, so thanks to all for that. But one question that I still have is about the water hardness in the area, especially in the Curragh side of the town? Do household there use water softeners? If so any recommendation for companies who will install and maintain in and around Newbridge?

Thanks again

I’m on the curragh side of town. The water is definitely harder than it was a few years ago since they changed the supply. But, it doesn’t fur up the kettle too much and we don’t have issues with appliances. I was considering a softener but didn’t go for it in the end. Only thing is the water is not nice to drink. Full of chlorine. We use a Britax filter for drinking water and buy plenty of water in Lidl each week in bottles.

we got good advice from below company on softeners previously. They would be who I would buy from if I had to be pushed

http://www.glenngoreypumps.ie/

I hear what You say Damien, but then why is traffic allowed exit there? I know the volume is less, but it’s still traffic.

On another note, thanks for the link above on hard water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Kildare Co Co:

Nice job with the new cycle lanes on Main Street!

Drivers:

Make sure your passengers don't 'door' cyclists who may be passing on the near side of your stopped car. Your mirrors suit you, not your passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The time Meatloaf performed in Tougher's, Newhall

Am I dreaming this? What year was it? about 30 years ago, perhaps?

Any of you there, perhaps with a story?

Anyone any idea what’s going on on Cutlery Road? They replacing the footpath only?

Those businesses on that side of the road cannot be too happy.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Resurfacing work over the next few weeks, being done in stages I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

He did a tour of various rural venues in early 1990. No gig in Co Kildare though. I had a ticket for the Wexford gig at White's Hotel - cost was £10.50. It was supposed to be on Sunday 4 February but was postponed very shortly beforehand. We didn't find out until we got down there. Had a few pints anyway and came back home to New Ross. The gig was rescheduled for the following night. I was in Waterford RTC at the time so went to my usual lectures on the Monday and sold my ticket to someone else during the day.

There's serious negative feedback to this on various FB pages. I drove into town early on Saturday but didn't notice them. Was very quiet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

but isn't FB where all the negative eejits go to moan and complain about anything and everything.

You could give 10k to everyone in newbridge and the same fools would find something to complain about.

Except that quite a few of the commentators are usually reasonable people. So perhaps there is merit in their negativity. I'll take a look myself when I am next in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Here is a picture of the new road markings. Haven't seen them myself in person but I think the argument is the car spaces are too close to the traffic.

It is difficult for 2 dumper trucks to pass each other comfortably. My wife saw that today. I’m sure the resolution will be to ban the trucks !

The bigger issue is the position of the cycle lane inside of parked cars. I have yet to see a passenger in my car actually look in the mirror before opening the door and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I have cycled through the town previous to the markings and I don’t think they are required from the post office to the bridge. There was plenty of space.

The problem is from the credit union to the post office which was dangerous to cycle unless you took over the road. Kids don’t have road sense and don’t command the space enough on their bikes. There is not enough road space in that section to add a cycle lane. I can foresee a one way system coming in a few years if the cycle lanes are enforced.

• Advertisement

I haven’t been up the town since this was implemented. Cazale, is it the same set-up on the other side of the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why would two dumper trucks need to pass each other on the main street of a town anyway? Buses obviously would.

As you say, there's no real need for a cycle path from the post office to the bridge, except that stretch is notorious for people double-parking ("I'm only dropping in for a minute!"). This new set-up isn't going to improve people's behaviour, though. There won't be as much room to double-park.

As a cyclist myself, the main issue will be the passengers getting out of the car. As Roadtoad already said, the passenger-side mirrors suit the driver, not the person getting out on the passenger side of the car. I'll make sure I'm aware of them too.

I'll be cycling down the town this evening so I'll see what it's actually like then.

Ok, if left like that it will be an issue. I'd expect floppy poles to be installed to protect the cyclists.

Drivers are well trained to keep an eye for cyclists, but passengers are not and there's not enough room for a door to be pushed fully open safely.

So either poles get installed or a rethink is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think the poles are part of the plan but just haven't been installed yet.

They are on the Garda station side but not the pub/chipper/pound shop side.

So people creating petitions before the job is finished.

That's typical of some types that make assumptions and don't simply ask.

Design is fairly standard around Europe particularly the Netherlands that is seen as the poster boy for safe cycling

Parked on Main Street this evening and drive up it afterwards (towards post office). It's tight. A few of the cars approaching me on the other side were cutting over the white line. Didn't see any cyclists using it as I was parking and as I was driving off.

Saw it yesterday parked on Main Street at about 3pm/3:30pm. The bus in the direction of kildare “pulled in” and all the town traffic came to a standstill as he loaded passengers. At the same time there were 2 buses on the other side. The one behind couldn’t get his nose out enough to get past the kildare bus without hitting him so he sat tight.

It is now like driving past the credit union in the direction of Naas. You have to be so careful of people just opening their drivers side door into traffic.

Should be fun when people do the usual double park as they pop into the Chinese on Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

In newbridge today first time since new markings were put down and in my opinion not the safest I have seen . Two cars parked in on the cycle track against the kerb ignoring the parking spaces and cars having to stop because people getting out of cars . Very very tight and definitely need to keep your wits about you .

• Advertisement

Traffic is very heavy in town today. I was coming in the Station Road. The queue started on the railway bridge. Turned around and headed out via the Meadows heading for the M7 SB. Heading out past Ballymany the queue into town was almost out to the roundabout where the horse board is. Then got onto the M7 and there was also a queue to exit the M7 NB. Why is the traffic so heavy? There a GAA match on?

Advertisement