Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭zv2

To leak or not to leak, that is the question. We only found out about this because it was leaked to the press. Politicians are in possession of all kinds of information and they decide how and when to leak information to the media. The media then creates hysteria and get the people all riled up and the desired political end is thereby attained. It is not about justice or cake or anything of the sort. It is about what politicians want it to be about and this is about the gory power play in Downing street. Using the media like this is a far more serious breach of justice. I never argued that Johnson can 'do what he likes' but apparently these politicians can.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You think lying should have no consequences? Do you us that model in all aspects of your life, do you apply that to everyone?

You also appear to be very much of the view that Johnson is completely powerless in all of this, simply being washed around by the power of others. The PM of the UK is, by your view, completely at the whim and mercy or others.

If that is true, isn't that really a scary thought? With Ukraine looming, we have a PM completely sidelined and compromised by others around him.

So was in ever in control? Was he merely a stooge for shadowy figures in the background?

If that is the lane you are picking it isn't a very good strategy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not proof that the media control the country as you alleged before. This is not more serious than over 150,000 people dying while the PM partied like Caligula.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He stood up day after day in front of the nation telling people that losing their jobs, their livelihoods, missing loved ones, not having birthday parties, not being able to attend funerals etc etc, was all necessary because of the virus. Except for him. A 57 year old couldn't last without his birthday cake, but 7 year olds can? Come on.

This is the bit that finishes him off politically. If he is still PM by the next general election, all Labour will have to do for their party political broadcast is play a few of his most unctuous appeals for compliance with the rules, then read out a few choice excerpts from the Sue Gray report. Even though hopefully by that stage we will be long out of the pandemic, the voters, even those who didn't agree with the restrictions at the time, will be infuriated all over again by his "Do as I say, not as I do" carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So your problem is that people leak things and not that there are things to leak? So basically you don't think there should be consequences for peoples actions?

• Advertisement

I'm not saying he is at the mercy of others - although he might well be. I am saying that the way leaks and the media are used to stir the people up for political ends is far more corrupt than anything Boris done. I don't think he partied like 'Caligula'. He probably obeyed most of the time like the rest of us. There are very few people on the planet who did not break the rules in minor ways. Seems the worst rule people can break is to get caught.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Media? Nothing to do with the media. Its not their fault he broke the rules...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So what you're saying is that Johnson has done much worse, we just don't know about it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

More nonsense. We know that people who broke the rules were fined. Priti Patel said she'd reported neighbours who broke the law to the police but funnily enough didn't report her boss. I think what we're seeing here is the tip of the iceberg. Johnson has always thought himself above the rules and now it's finally caught up with him. It's funny how you only take issue with leaking when it's Johnson being held accountable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You have cited the media, politicians and silly rules. Basically everyone else is to blame except the man that actually is responsible.

Of course it only got out because of a leak, in the same way that many crimes are only solved because of witnesses. Are you suggesting that criminals should have the right to perfect privacy and that they shouldn't be convicted because it was only due to someone leaking the evidence.

Take a step back from you defence of Johnson and just think about the knots you are tying yourself in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The media are used by all sides politically and to be fair the media owners use their media to push their own agendas. Johnson has used the media to further his own political agendas.

Nonetheless, the media did not force him to attend illegal events. The media did not force him to lie about said events. This whole thing could have been an non-issue had Johnson followed his own covid related laws: laws which have punished thousands of people across the UK.

The media are now reporting that the PM lied to parliament and lied to the public about his behaviour because he broke the law on numerous occasions. He lied about what appears to be a culture of partying in Downing St, at a time when Downing St made these parties illegal.

What you are suggesting is that your PM should not have to face up to his law breaking simply because the media are reporting on it. There is no evidence of any kind of media abuse here, just that persons unknown are obviously releasing details of those illegal parties - nothing illegal or underhand about that.

Is your loyalty for someone who is probably the worst ever PM that strong?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hello how are you

I dislike double standards, so him and his colleagues having drinks in the garden is frustrating, but I kind of like Boris, in a liking-a-clown sort of way. I hope he survives.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I dislike double standards, so him and his colleagues having drinks in the garden is frustrating, but I kind of like Boris, in a liking-a-clown sort of way. I hope he survives.

That's fine for the guy that puts away the trolleys in the local supermarket car-park , not so much for the Prime Minister of a 55M population country.

I really struggle with this kind of view about Major political leaders , we see the same with Trump in the US , countless people saying variants of :- "He's a terrible PM/POTUS but he's great entertainment so I like him"

Boggles the mind really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wickan3080

I just cant see how he survives this but at the same time he has muddled his way through so much already it is a possibility :)

It really isn't. Overspending on a garden bridge or cheating on his wife while she was receiving chemo aren't things the average voter will feel or even notice. Letting over 150,000 people die while he holidayed, fornicated and partied and imposed draconian measures on the country is something people absolutely will feel and we're seeing this in the polling.

He's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Do you know what was his actual lie to parliament? Was it something blatant or something where he could make a grey area and wriggle out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The most obvious one - “All guidance was followed completely in No 10.”

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Roles reversed, if Starmer was in power and the same set of events happened, would you have an issue with that?

One other point to note is many of the Tory leaning media outlets have changed from supporting Johnson and the Tories to hammering Johnson on the issue of parties and cover ups. Do you have an issue with that and what is their motivation for the pivots?

They should be held to high standards for the right reasons, not because someone wants to manipulate politics by judicious leaking of information.

ancapailldorcha: "Priti Patel said she'd reported neighbours who broke the law to the police but funnily enough didn't report her boss."

Exactly. Cherry picking reports to suit an agenda.

Toeuptony: "Roles reversed, if Starmer was in power and the same set of events happened, would you have an issue with that?"

I would. The issue I have is with how relatively minor infractions are blown up by the media because this is what unscrupulous politicians want to push agendas that we know nothing about - unless there is another leak.

Caligula? What about Starmer coked and boozed out of his mind, stumbling over empty beer cans, vomiting half-digested beer over the balcony on top of the cleaner whilst pissing on himself and doing sodomy with the kitchen porter at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,721 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah, so you only have a problem with it when it's a non-entity directed at Labour? Thanks for confirming.

For heaven's sake I've explained myself clearly. It is not about this or that party or any individual. It is about how politicians are in bed with the media. This is where the real contempt for people is because this is where the corruption is. Is that not a more important issue than cake and wine?

More bollox. It's about the government's duty to obey the rules they set. This isn't complicated. Pretending to care about the media because the government are eye deep in corruption and scandal is as pathetic as it is transparent.

The government is always eye deep in corruption - it is only scandal when it is leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And that's also a big issue. The Sun didn't report on most of the party leaks because their Deputy Editor was at them because he was the Tories communications director or similar at the time. And over the last few years, the Tories have made use of media mouthpieces like Robert Peston and Laura Kuenssberg by just leaking the narrative the Tories wanted to push and reporting it with no journalistic review. Many media outlets are firmly in the pockets of whatever party are in power at any time.

But just because something is deemed a more or less important issue, doesn't mean it's not an issue which needs to be addressed. The numerous breaches of Covid rules, Ministerial Codes, and lying to the public about same makes the issue more serious than "cake and wine" and should still be addressed.

I would prefer to say politicians and the media are using each other and being used by each other. As a result nobody knows what is really going on and democracy gets left behind. And what if Boris is replaced? What difference will it make? There will be another leak and the same recriminations until someone else get elected and it will start over again. This is how British politics works and it is the way Irish politics is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What? Your logic is so bizarrely backwards. They are being held to a higher standard because they are the leaders of a country and it has nothing to do with the leaks. When they decide the rules that they are foisting on everyone else don't apply to them the consequences of those actions are theirs and only theirs and have nothing to do with anyone who decides to leak those actions.

Do you really believe it is the way the media spin it? It is about political assassination. In America they sometimes use bullets, in Britain they prefer more refined methods, usually involving scandal. This is a coup.

• Advertisement

Why don't you provide some evidence then instead of just screaming conspiracy because you can't stand to see Johnson being criticised?

Advertisement