Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just wondering how people are finding efficiency and range, quite cool atm but at least almost no winds and roads quite dry generally.

Ours is the 58kWh Executive, haven't had a chance to drive it much as yet. (The missus wont let me lol) but brought for a trip yesterday on an economical run max 80 km/h speed limits but a bit at 100km/h rural fairly flat Co Wexford roads. Heated seat and steering wheel on, heating on fairly low. The return trip (Incl her previous few short 3km commutes) was 16.4kWh/100km. (Since last charged).

Impressed with that for such a big car, I know on motorway will be worse. My ID.3 would probably be similar enough in winter if including the short commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Had auto hold on my last two i40s. Good addition to the manual version but needed far less on the dual clutch automatic. Similar experience to the latter in my first 10 days with my Premium Plus. In auto regeneration, car in Eco mode, which seems to give the best km per kWh (5.2 overall at present according to the screen over 355 kms) I only need it at one particular right turn onto a major road where the car is at a stop sign on an incline.

Lane assist I switch off as the Lane markings in many rural Kerry roads are poor and the car has difficulty.

Two minor problems. The tailgate is set to open automatically when approaching - it works sometimes. The other is the garage auto electrician fitted my front and rear dash cams. He admitted he was unhappy with the way he had to hard wire them as Hyundai give no guidance. The connection he made has come undone twice using a spade connector into a terminal in the fuse box. Has anyone else had dash cams hard wired and could advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

I'm finding it is very dependant on driving style. If you want to belt it, it will zap the energy.

But if you want to be economic you very much can be. I did a short run yesterday on motorway at 107km speed limiter on, averaged over 10km per kWh with a bit of coasting on obvious downhill bits.

I think what I'm saying is, it's very good. Whatever you need to get out of it, you can if you drive it a certain way.

Its adaptable, If you're on a run and you think you're coming up short you can switch it up and drastically increase efficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Must admit I haven't tried to be efficient at all so far.

Heat on when needed, hitting speed limit most of the time.

Did a short 10km trip just a minute ago where it's mostly 100km and had cruise set to 103.

By time I got home it said trip was 22kw per 100km.

Maybe would have come down a bit if I'd gone a little further.

My partner is doing a motorway trip soon so interesting to see how it gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Are most people using regen braking? I use it on L3. Just wondering how much more efficient it makes it? It's a very different ride with it turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Trailer mostly loaded with Ioniq 5s heading past Tivoli earlier. Heading towards the city, so likely going there, or Limerick or Kerry I reckon.

Using regen as little as possible unless I have to stop.. freewheeling will always be the most efficient.

I'm using the regen quite a lot as I'm doing mostly suburban driving where not a huge amount of freewheeling.

I find having iPedal on Eco mode is very efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

I use ipedal all the time. Always used level 3 though on my old Ioniq so I’m used to the pull back

Re. Efficiency, I’m at 24kwhr/100. Old Ioniq was 14.2. I get that it’s a bigger car with more bells and whistles but I’m hoping as it gets used to my driving, that will decrease. To be fair, I’m on motorway quite a lot too. I thought the heat pump would mean cold weather didn’t affect the battery?

Is anyone getting loads of attention? Constantly being stopped by people. One fairly old lady told me she’d buy it off me earlier!

Yeah I've been stopped for 3 separate conversations by strangers in car parks, get a lot of looks obv but that will decrease hopefully as time goes on.

Its very different looking tho, and stands out a mile in a car park. Suppose that's one thing you don't get from the vids, yes you see it's good looking and futuristic etc., But just to see how different and how much it stands out put alongside lots of other cars. Prob doesn't help mine is in white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Efficiency I’m getting 17.2 kWh/100kms but I’m not really driving efficiently. Did a spin up the motorway (may or may not have been over 120km/h and got 20.4 kWh/100kms).

I've regen set to Auto and it’s been really good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

These numbers look very good in general, especially compared to a lot of the folk on various UK owner Facebook groups who seem to be underwhelmed by the consumption figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Ahh lads relax stick it into sport and enjoy 😜

Lol this will be my approach as soon as I get the charger installed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

Reminds

It reminds me of the diesel efficiency days when the difference between 45mpg and 50mpg was fundamentally important to owners of a €40k car 😏

How you drive a car is totally up to ones self, but personally I like to know what a car will do when out on the road, in all temperatures, conditions and speeds. Like most, some days I like a bit of fun, other days prefer just a relaxing drive (Which to be fair the Ioniq 5 is very good at)

It’s all a moot point really, as the only certainty with the EV market over the coming short years is that range and efficiency will improve with each iteration.

as the current stock of EVs make it to their 5-8th birthday and battery degradation turns out to be more or less a nothing burger, then the 2nd hand market will hold up fine too.

(batteries will indeed degrade however - 2nd hand EVs aren’t going to defy the laws of physics 😏)

First experience with fast Chargers in the last few days. In Galway a 150kw ESB charger maxed out at 47kw moved to the "slower" charger and got 50kwh.

Tried ionity in cashel average of 87kw max was 127kw. Jumped up to that when I sat in the car and turned it on. Dose turning on the car make a difference when fast charging? Cost me 18 bucks for 28kwh..... Saucy, but had to as other cheaper charges were being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

150kW ESB charger maxed out at 47kW

Was that after a short journey? Battery was probably not at a low enough state of charge or it was too cold.

Does turning on the car make a difference when fast charging?

Not really. EV's can sometimes "rob" a few kW from the charger to run the cabin heating but it wont really make any noticeable difference to your overall charging session or peak rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭John arse

• Advertisement

In old money, that’s not far off the cost of diesel for a similar range, and electricity sure isn't getting any cheaper in the coming years.

home charging is the only way it makes sense, or splash and dash - spend 10min adding 50km range just to get home

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭bkeane

The 150kw charger may be limited to 50kw due to power constraints by ESB. This happens at the Portlaoise junction 17 charger currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sat behind a 5 today. As we slowed down for the traffic lights the brake lights never came on. Now we weren't going particularly fast but still had to come to a standstill from 35 - 40kmh. I know in the model 3 the brake lights will come on under regen.

I was disappointed because I wanted my daughter to see the lights on the back.

Actually saw 2 of these locally today. A grey one and a white one. The white just looks epic!!

That's just ionity it's I think 73 cent per kWh fast charge (would have thought would have gotten more that 128kw) Normal ESB charger is around 30 cent (but takes 2/3 times longer).

Also got in that situation as forgot to charge at home overnight 😒

I wonder if you're about my area, Cabinteely ish. I saw a grey one today that I've seen twice now, as I drove by in my white one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ha I was also in Terenure/KCR area today. Nevermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ptltd

Has anyone got experience with getting the detachable towbar and 7 pin wiring kit ordered/installed from a dealer, was it readily available or did you have to back order?

Under Owning > Accessories > Ioniq 5 > Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

Playing around with ABRP today and found an option that allows the cars SOC to be viewed in real-time by connecting the Bluelink app to a 3rd party app/website called Tronity.

I tried it on the way home from work and found ABRP was showing my SOC within 1-2% of the cars reading.

I will test some more but this may be useful for people who don't want to purchase an OBD device to connect to ABRP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Took test drive today of Premium model at Fitzpatrick Kildare today.

Brian also brought out the Premium Plus model in black that customer is picking up this week. Same car he has made 2 videos on recently showing off dark mode on screen & relaxation seats.

Think I'm going to go for Plus depending on what colours Hyundai are providing in next shipment. Looks to be black & white only for the moment.

Advertisement