Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation - What do you think the Government should do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Not an expert but if the gov are looking at boards for advice happy to help out.

In times of inflation, the rich get richer, especially the asset-rich folks.

I would put up stamp duty. If it's not your primary residence I would put it at a minimum of 5% maybe even 10%. A first-time buyer should pay 0%.

To help the middle I would encourage saving, Bring back the 4 euro saved 1 euro from the government. Hopefully, with the higher stamp duty, it won't encourage the housing boom like last time.

I'd then higher the amount of tax-free allowance so that the lowest-paid workers would get some more cash in their pockets.

No need for e100 off an energy bill. Why should a millionaire get e100 off their bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I agree, great thoughts 👍

Also, regarding 100 Euro, I have just had an argument with my friends recently saying it's one of the most expensive advertisement for the current political parties. Such a waste of money. Unfortunately, lots of with very little analytical or critical thinking thinks the government cares about them. If they reay care, they would provide a continuous financial support to the poor society members, not the whole population, as you said.

Terrible decisions, lots of missed opportunities. And people are ok with that as they don't understand and they don't think of future. Real populists are ruling the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The issue is we need a non carbon producing alternative to fossil fuels. That means we need a base load, something that is reliable without sun or wind. The idea of relying on battery storage , when the whole world will be scrambling for lithium and other rare metals doesn't fill me with confidence. Neither does an interconnection where we will put ourselves at the mercy of the producer, since we will have no alternative. That's not to mention the higher likelihood of global instability and possible wars given the deteriorating environment and mass migration. We need to have some independence and that starts with energy and food. Luckily we are a net exporter of food, nuclear solves the other part.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Agree with this. It's what contributed to the economic crisis last time round too.

There's posters here advocating reducing taxes, exactly what was done c1997 to 2007,and then there was no rainy day savings to pump into the economy post 08.

When an economy is growing, you actually want to take money out of it to prevent overheating and save money for a rainy day. Then in times of recession, you pump that money into the economy to stimulate spending and economic activity. Instead of cutting funding and raising taxes further to make up for all the tax cuts in the good times.

We've become used over the past decade to either deflation, or no change. 2-3 percent a year inflation is healthy as long as the economy is growing. Sure, at 5 or 6 it could be lower. But that's where you want to extract money from the economy and put it away, to reduce inflationary pressure due to all the money and demand going about.

It's not popular to say. But pumping even more money into the system leads to further upward pressure. Its a very fine balancing act.

I don't understand how anyone who was annoyed with govt in say.. 2011 (plus or minus 2 years, that whole water charges, emigration period) is calling for the same policies of the early noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No need for €100 off an energy bill. Why should a millionaire get €100 off their bill?

Because it is non-discriminatory, acknowledges a current problem for many, gets a buy-in from all parts of society and is very simple to implement. A process to determine who's worth it, is likely to cost a disproportionate amount relative to the payment itself and would take well into Spring to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Time for the SSIA to make a comeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

we will be in a recession by this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

That's the first time I have seen someone siding with a millionaire who a government is giving them money and calling out a person by calling them discriminatory. If a millionaire has a house and 2-holiday homes they get e300 from you and me.

Help the less well off all year round forget the people who can afford it. Personally, I'd give everyone tax credits instead of benefits to so many. Here's the thing they already have a system in place to work out tax credits so it wouldn't be too hard. You might reply saying the rich will also benefit but they are taxed more in the higher brackets so the less well off benefit more than the well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

What would be your definition of super rich in money terms?

Bringing in a new additional corporate tax would be a disaster as the large corporates would just leave, if you take the example of Apple they are funnelling all sales outside of the US through their office in Cork so the state is getting tax on this, even if this is only 2% due to deals etc, 2% of billions is better than 15% of zero

It's a one off feel good good move for everyone n the audience. It's simple, generally supported across the Dail and done. Not everyone works and tax credits cost money with our latest changes coming in at half a billion in a full year. You'd also be discriminating against welfare recipients of course our growing band of pensioners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The majority of NGOs are providing services the HSE is meant to provide; and giving an excuse / blame blanket for the HSE in the process. Absolutely no chance there'll be effort to get rid of that.

Triple rates on unoccupied commercial premises. Encourage the sale and rent of such buildings. Get more businesses on the supply side and hopefully have some competition. Inflation is less of an issue when there's some choice and you feel like you're getting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's unbelievable. What we effectively have is a scenario where there is a shortage of goods and services combined with a larger amount of money in the system and people's first thought to that dilemma is "Let's inject even more money into the system!".

It's the financial equivalent of trying to extinguish a fire by throwing a bucket of petrol over it. It's also exactly what the government has been doing for years in an effort to trying to resolve the housing crisis. There's a shortage of houses and they keep coming up with solutions that involve putting more money into buyer's hands - very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Exactly this.

Unfortunately too many people are not gifted with logic to understand your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

100% very frustrating but a quick glance through this thread shows some people just don't understand even the basics.

What worries me more is I'm not convinced a lot of people in government or potential governments have a much better understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The central bank need to be banging the door of the ECB to raise interest rates.

Watch this 30 minute video if you want to know how interest rates affect economies

It's really disheartening to see the majority want bigger wages instead of reduced costs.

I suppose that most people in the country just aren't able to grasp it. If someone says they earn 50k salary, the reaction of most is "that's great money". But earning 50k living in Belmullet and earning 50k living in D1 are two completely different things.

WTF use is a 100 euro anyways?

It's like FFG found the money tree they said never existed.

If you're really feeling the pinch, 100 euro...wow, pop open the champagne, you'll never have to worry about money again! 🙄

Eoin McGee must be reading this thread with a raging boner knowing he has enough people for another 15 series of his show.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shouldn't be long before something about immigrants makes its way into this thread.

• Advertisement

On a €150+ electricity bill it's pretty useful and the one off cost of €160m is about a third of the latest tax changes. Populist? Sure, but you won't find very many in the Dail opposing it nor outside it for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

You can take that nonsense elsewhere,there's plenty of threads for you to excercise how outraged and offended you are by everything.

This is a good thread and a grown up chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That amount of posters have the same answer to every question, banging their own drums on their own hot issue.

It's just hot air mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think there's very little we as a country can do to stop inflation, especially with the ECB controlling interest rates, but there's probably too much money available to spend atm so something like the SSIA might help (it's kicking the can down the road of course). Introducing/increasing taxes at very high bands (like 100k plus a year salaries) might be worth it too and increasing stamp duty on non principal residences in order to help reduce the gap widening between rich and poor would also be useful I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There should be a minimum of 50,000 public and civil sector job lay-offs, €200bn in social spending is locked in for the next 10 years, there needs to be a slash and burn adaption to the public sector and mass privatisations including the HSE. Trade Unions should actually be banned and all local authorities abolished. The public sector burden in this country is beyond a joke. We could have the worlds very best infrastructure, Motorways and High speed rail, a morning commute from Dingle to Dublin or Glenties to Dublin, Bantry to Ballina etc. Instead money is burned everyday and the mass theft continues with some of the worlds highest taxation to fund a marxist social spending agenda which does not benefit the regular people, instead they get skyhigh taxes, a non functioning healthcare system, no housing or anything. The pigs at the trough will take home their fat paycheck each week and remain loyal to Zanu-FF and ensure the Kleptocracy continues.

We could have an excellent country but it is far too corrupt with the very worst of types attracted into politics and the brightest and best Emigrated after college, the big companies are only held going by foreigners who strive to build their careers despite everything thrown at them by bigots in this country.

Ireland is not suited to democracy, we are a nation of absolute fools who lack the backbone to ever make a stand and too afraid or indebted to challenge authority. Look at China a proper Authoritarian example who built the infrastructure to propel their country to superpower status, we can't even build a bypass but some lobbyiest will be out over a clump of furze bushes.

We'd be far better off under British rule than what we are living in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In a thread full of people completely missing the point (tackling inflation) and instead complaining about their own pet peeves, this wins the prize for the most demented nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What did Trump say - drain the swamp - in his election campaign.

Except he found it wasn't quite so easy when you got power. You should give him a call and see if he wants an advisor for 2024.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Is it sh*te. It's another thread where people show they have zero idea of the topic at hand and use it to complain about carbon taxes, saying there should be public sector cuts and whatever other fist-clenching issues they have about society. Absolutely zero to do with inflation.

What will abolishing carbon taxes or reducing the public sector workforce do against inflation? Literally f*ck all. A large number of people here are incapable of having an adult conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Exactly my point. Money waste. Not significant amount to actually help to those who need it. Most shocking - it's for everyone, even for rich. They won't even notice this as it's too little for them to be useful. Eventually, it's just throwing money from one pocket to another equally for everyone. This is the most stupid way to waste the money without a real advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Considering costs of energy increases is not just inflation but other on going problems as well cuts to duties and carbon taxes temporarily might help people.

Advertisement