Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

A great post by Brendan "Speedie" Smith on Facebook encapsulates everything good and bad as regards the history, current situation, and the trial.

If you don't know who he is, have a google, his work around Galway is well known by many

This is Cork! Why is it not Galway?

I took this photo in Cork city a few months ago and deeply regret that no similar scene exists in Galway city.

But it was agreed twenty years ago that such a cityscape would be part of the fabric of our own city.

In 2002, the “Strategy for Economic, Social and Cultural Development 2002-2012” for Galway City was published after two years of deliberations and discussions by the Galway City Development Board which grew out of EU and national directives to reinvigorate local government in Ireland. It comprised all of the major stakeholders of the city including Galway City Council, the community and voluntary sector, IDA, Chamber of Commerce, health board, state agencies, education bodies, trades unions, the Western Development Commission, An Garda Síochana, Ireland West Tourism, Galway City Partnership and Údáras na Gaeltachta whose Vision was to have a Galway that was ‘Inclusive, Progressive, Historic, Sustainable, Accessible, Equitable, Creative and People-centred’. I was a member of that collaborative board in my capacity as a community forum (now GCCN) representative. One of its key objectives was to “Develop a Safe Citywide Pedestrian-friendly, Cyclist-friendly, Disability and Child-friendly infrastructure” with an agreement to “explore the feasibility of having a sustainable integrated transport infrastructure based on the following hierarchy: 1. Pedestrians. 2. Cycling 3. Public transport 4. Private motor car.” It was also agreed to review the possibility of having a light rail system into and around the city. There was a shared sense of positivity, respect and a belief that we together could create something really special.

Much progress was undertaken in the early years towards achieving the Strategy’s goals. But in the last decade as more and more cities across the world enthusiastically reimagined their cities where walking, cycling and public transport were prioritised, we still seem to have an outdated health-damaging greenhouse gas emitting car-centric culture. The recent furore about the temporary Salthill cycleway is understandable as it is a prime example of Hobson’s Choice with both options in their present form not coming up with viable solutions and causing in the process serious problems to pedestrians, cyclists, bus users and disabled parking permit holders. Galway City Council could and should have done better and consulted more in advance before coming up with these alternatives that are pitting good people against good people. The taxpayers and citizens of this great city deserve better from our public servants. The so-called third option of ‘no change’ is though unacceptable as the present situation represents a serious barrier to creating a healthy sustainable future for our increasingly urbanised world. In spite of a myriad of attractive facilities such as Galway Atlantaquaria, Quincentenary/Circle of Life Park, Salthill Park, large children’s playground, fine pubs and restaurants as well as possessing one of the most famous scenic seascape views on the planet, Salthill needs a major revamp in order to reclaim its status as the country’s leading seaside resort both for locals and tourists alike. 

Making the locality walking and cycling-friendly is fundamental to this transformation. I have taken part in all of last year’s Galway Urban Greenway Community mass cycles to Salthill involving people of all ages and have seen how these events have made the ambiance of the area more relaxed and more family-friendly. 

On the other hand, I was working last weekend in Salthill and the contrast to the cycling days could not have been more starker. Over much of last Saturday and Sunday it was bumper-to-bumper traffic belching out smoky toxic fumes with the harsh noises of cars revving a constant unwelcome disturbance.

Therefore I am making a submission to City Hall this week supporting Option 2 that includes a two way cycle lane on the Prom with two way vehicular traffic along the R336 (from the Grattan Road Junction to the Pollnarooma West Junction) but with the proviso of supporting disabled parking at Ladies Beach, and a pedestrian and a bus flow. A properly planned two way cycleway in Salthill can become part of the promised safe citywide pedestrian and cycling infrastructure that we have waited decades for. 2022 is the year that Galway has to redirect its transport infrastructure towards pedestrians, cyclists and mass public transport. There is no future otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Sorry but Knocknacarra and Salthill aren't Galway City... we don't want to go through the city to access East of the Corrib and the rest of Ireland...

You can't have it all your own way, one of ye is saying we will just fill it up with cars and other says it won't be used at all...

You are using bypassing as just going from Connemara to East Galway... We are saying from Knocknacarra to Rest of Ireland... People just don't want to go through town... This is then given to other modes of transport...

Get your misinformation campaign straight...

This is a piece to encourage objections... This is to slow the progress of the bypass...

Can you not understand propaganda...

Where does he explain that by 2050 the bridge will have zero environment impact? The last bridge was built Galway had a population of 40,000 by 2040 we expect to have 120,000 people... three times the population with the same amount of major bridges...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We are saying from Knocknacarra to Rest of Ireland

Can you show the demand for this please. If you are going to argue this is why it should be built, you should be able to show the data behind that argument. Not saying there isn't such demand mind you

• Advertisement

That Cycle lane is going to get buried...

By the way Lyons cycles a lot and has for years... So this hair brained idea has turned off avid cyclists...

This is such a bad ideas it looks like sabotage of cycling in galway..

Posting the same article twice on one page doesn't strengthen your argument

DaCor I don't think you have to pay costs on high court injunction of the council... they actually have to...

DaCor I don't think you know how popular walking the prom in galway is not it is an essential part of life for a lot of people... The parking on the prom is busy on cold evenings in January never mind bright sunny days in July...

This proposal is highly unpopular in Salthill and Knocknacarra, Look at the councillors running from it... This is very badly thought out...

I offered two solutions which none of ye wanted to engage on...

1. Use Dr Mannix Rd/lower Salthill, closer to schools can be linked to Millar Lane thus allowing alternative routes in to the city from Knocknacarra...
    2. Salthill could put a strong case for a Sea Wall, thus increase the prom towards the sea... There is loads of reclaimed land in Salthill already...

So DaCor I am not saying never but I am saying this idea is ill thought out and would destroy any trust going forward for cycling projects..

No hard figures but an awful lot of people in Knocknacarra and Salthill are originally from outside Galway... Actually most of the people I know in the area weren't raised in the city...

Again look at the traffic on normal days... Get behind a car on westside and you will more times than not following it to Headford Rd, Tuam or the Motorway...

This makes sense the city will treble in size in less than 60 years... Where do you think the people come from?

Shows what a ring road can give you... Thanks..

• Advertisement

"This is how it's going" - That article is from before the consultation even launched!

Lyons was 1 councillor out of 18 that voted against it. He has consistently voted against cycling measures but he should respect the democratic decision.

McGrath certainly isn't "ramming it through". The exec have little interest in cycling infrastructure. It was requested of them from a motion that was voted on by the councillors that were elected by the people.

"You can't have it all your own way, one of ye is saying we will just fill it up with cars and other says it won't be used at all..."

It's almost like you're dealing with individuals with views and not an orchestrated misinformation campaign that you've constructed in your mind! ;)

No hard figures 

Nothing against you personally, and really not a dig, but you need to back up some of the things you are saying with factual evidence otherwise its nothing more than your opinion. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but an opinion is not a strong justification for spending nearly a billion on a road when all the actual data (posted in this thread), as well as studies and reports from around the world on the topic of road expansion, shows its only going to make things worse in terms of congestion, active travel numbers, PT provision, pollution etc.

DaCor I don't think you have to pay costs on high court injunction of the council... they actually have to...

not sure where you are getting the idea about not paying for high court cases, its literally one of the biggest criticism of that particular court, thats its so farkin expensive to use it. Only if you win and costs are awarded against the other party, do you get away with not paying but that is not guaranteed at all. The folks over at the legal forum can clarify better than I can.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/legal-discussion

This makes sense the city will treble in size in less than 60 years

According to the latest reports the city will increase in size by 50% by 2040. To the best of my knowledge there are no projections beyond that at this point unless you have something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you watch a different video to everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Knocknacarra and Salthill aren't Galway City

hahahaha, more 'alternative facts' from yourself.

Tell me, where does the city boundary end on the west side of the city? https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2b7d2385de7841baa2fd0a66ba24f013

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I have been living in the City for last 24 years - cannot think of anything Cllr Lyons has delivered for cycling in that time apart from No Cycling Signs along the prom?

If that makes Cllr Lyons an avid cyclist....... well black is white.

He has done lots of good work over the years I do not doubt that - but certainly not when it comes to making Knocknacarra the best Walking and Cycling area of Galway City. The CSO stats show that.

Actually live in Kingston... A lo of people live back here and we don't need to go through the city centre every time we need to go east of the Corrib...

We are talking about 30k+ would use a bypass to get access the rest of the country... Add that to south Connemara and huge areas of the rest of Connemara and we have 60k+ people being forced into the city (causing traffic jams) to access the rest of the country... A very large proportion can't use PT or Cycling to go where they are going... I know for myself, last 5 trips I had over the Corrib were unfeasible I could have used PT or a cycling...

The M50, N25 and N18 are tolled.

The N40 isn't.

How much would people be willing to pay to get a new bridge built?

Paris has a population density of 20,506 p/km²

Galway has a population density of 1,475 p/km2

Galway is an empty field compared to Paris... Seriously this is just getting funny... This is the problem with comparing French cities to Ireland, French cities are generally more compact..

By the way look how they class Paris as a city... The other cities in that list are actually suburbs of Paris and in many cases closer to the city center than Knocknacarra is to Galway city center...

Even with the ring road built as proposed, it would still be quicker for you to drive through the city than out onto the ring road if you're going east.

And the ring road would inevitably get choked even worse with traffic also during peak hours, most junctions would be chronic as the traffic is predominately going into the city not out of it.

• Advertisement

By the way you may have lived in Galway 24 years but you never looked around... Cllr. Lyons probably cycles the most of any councillor in the city, he would know better than anyone about cycling in the city...From his wiki page "Dónal is a keen cyclist himself"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donal_Lyons#cite_note-2

Please explain your logic here....

Under your think we will have to charge everyone to use this new foot bridge when it is built...

Your saying people won't use this bridge if they have to pay 1 or 2 euro?

But Someone said there will be no traffic on it because it is not necessary...

So you excuse for a lack of infrastructure is to have less of it, that way the stuff we do build won't get over used... So is this why you want empty Cycle lanes because so far that has been very successfully empty...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say if it were down to the Salthill residence they'd love to have a greenway instead of a car park!

But, this is the real world, we have to consider all of the cities inhabitants and then finally, the visitors like yourself and myself.

Hey, they have moved on... We are now in 'Field of Dreams'

"Build it and they will come."

Have cycle lane and the 1956 Galway team will come of the sea and start cycling down the Prom..

Well if someone typed it into wikipedia then it must be true, shame both of the references used to support that statement both link to his vote against the bike lanes

I've lived near Donal for the last 3 years and meet him once or twice a week - have never seen him on a bike!

He consistently starts with "I'm all for cycling" and then votes down any improvements to cycling infrastructure.

He is a vocal advocate for pedestrians and that's to be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Advertisement

Think you said it there... You are saying that there is no need for ring road as it would be choked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement