Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Maybe try contacting Solis and get them to update your firmware. I have 350022, and I know FW 36 exists.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yes it got to 99% but at that point was it still actually charging? With power going to the batteries?

Yeah your right in saying that once the batteries are full they won't take any more power. So either the batteries weren't full and it was still charging more or it was just set to charge and not actually charging

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

it is OK not to reach 100%. The cells in the battery are not at the same state of charge and once one of them reaches 3.65v BMS kicks in and either tries to balance the cells which takes very long as currents are small or just cuts of charging all together to protect the cells. This will differ between battery models. I would not worry about last 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Hi All, so as solar only was installed in Nov, PV production has been some what limited. Now i have been charging batteries at night and then using during the day. I thought i was just managing it well by turning on appliance when batteries topped up to full again during the day as I have never have actually exported anything to the grid. Now today i have noticed that my battery was filled to 100% by 1117am and the graph shows that the Solar PV production has dropped right down to just 182w on each string even though the sun is shining brightly no different to earlier when I was getting 1500-2000w. SO it is obvious that the solar pv panels are not continuing to produce their maximum and exporting the excess to the grid. I'm really annoyed now as I feel that my production figures are not actually true since mid November if this has been happening. Has anyone else experienced this and how do i fix it? Is this a setting on my solis inverter or do i need the installers back to fix? Thanks

Further to above, i could see the solar seemed to be limited to 0.5A w on each string when the batteries full but as you can see below when batteries discharged a little and PV allowed to ramp up again the amps were up at 3.1A an dover 2000w being generated.

My solar pv production charts had been very spikey up and down compared to others that seem to have a much smoother curve when posting images of production and I thought it was just down to sun going behind clouds etc but no clouds today so this issue explains the peaks and troughs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are you exporting when your production drops? I wonder do you have the backfeed power set to 0W? i.e. Inverter will drop demand so that it doesn't send any surplus to grid.

On a related matter, how did you access the create your own graphs section on soliscloud.com? I did have it, but now either have lost access, or can't find it.

Not sure if back feed is set to 0W. Ill check when i get home this evening. What should it be set to? I certainly didn't change that setting so its what ever the installers set it at.

In relation to the graphs, yes they are just from solis cloud when accessed on a desk top. Just select device on left and then pick the inverter. Once in that page then you can select what ever parameters you want the graph to show.

I just checked and the setting is called backflow rather than backfeed. However, I also just checked my inverter and it is set to 0W, but I can still export, so maybe disregard that advice.

Are you sure you have no issues with shading etc? If not obvious solution, give the installer a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

My shading is getting much better since December but just noticed readings this morning with clear skies at 10am.

Does this mean the shadow on the edge of 2 panels is almost halving the output of PV2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes sadly. See the elevated voltage and lower current. That usually is a tell tale sign of shading.

• Advertisement

Posted below pic 24.01.2022 but didn't upload?

Definitely not a shading issue. My back flow was set at 0w same as you so I left it. Rang the installer said he had never heard of that problem before and would have to contact Solis. I've emailed Solis myself with inverter number so hopefully they can interrogate it remotely. When I checked the inverter and opened up the warning log there was a whole series of warnings in the log coinciding with the days my battery hit 100% with solar pv charging and then inverter ramping down as per below

Update 26.01.2022

I was working from home yesterday and sun was pretty good for the early part of the day. By 1pm my batteries were full again and of course then the solar pv ramped down dramatically just like the day before. Solis still hadn't come back to me so i tried increasing the backflow setting from 0W to 5500W (6kw inverter) and the solar production took off again and I started to export excess to the grid! So changing that setting seems to have worked? Just cant understand why i needed to change when you didn't?

Any other people on here with Solis inverters can you check what your back flow setting is at in advanced settings? Is it 0W like Jonathon and if so is your system exporting surplus to grid as expected?

Admittedly I did check my backflow setting via Modbus. I'll confirm via the inverter screens next time I'm up in the attic.

I think you are on a newer firmware version to me, so that could also be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Hi, BTW I was getting the same HighVolt BMS alarms on my Solis inverter, are your batteries Pylontech by any chance?

I contacted Pylontech about a degradation issue on some of my US2000 batteries and they sent me a new firmware which didn't fix my issue but not getting the alarms since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I was also worried abou tthe Backflow setting - but indeed mine is set to 0 as well. Many of the Solis videos and guides meniton chnaging this - but they are also aimed at different countries setup.

Ive decided NOT to seek any firmware upgrade or to change my current setup as mentioned above. My battery has gone to 100% via the Sunshine last 2 days - and as expected will export to grid if theree is no house load. I did notice that it takes a "good while" for it to move from 99% to 100% even with over 1Kw shining down on it. SO the tiny amount of power Im feeding it from the grid at night would take much much longer obviously.

I still dont know exactly what will happen when at night, charging from grid i reach 100% battery - but tbh IM ok with my current result as is.

Yes i have 2 x 2.4 pylontech batteries. They are working fine though and charging to 100% both via solar and at night from the grid. The SOH is 100% but would expect that as only installed in Nov 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

When you say degradation, what happened the batteries?

Are they not covered by some sort of guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I have 3 US2000 batteries from 2019 and 3 from 2020, the 2019 batteries SOC drops like a stone under 50% so when they are at less than 10% SOC the 2020 batteries are at 30%+. I went directly to Pylontech instead of the reseller as they seem clueless when it comes to this level of detail.

Pylontech are giving me the runaround with trying different things like charging each battery individually and when I got back to them with all the results they have gone quiet. I'm expecting a response any day and I'm looking for the 3x 2019 batteries to be replaced...

So Solis came back to me today and told me to check the export power setting and said to turn it to off. Mine was turned on so that was likely the issue. I wont know for sure until the next sunny day but it looks like that was the cause.

So i guess to ensure excess power is allowed to be exported to grid and maximum yield be achieved you can do it one of two ways:

• Ensure Export power set is turned off OR
    • If export power is turned on then ensure the export power setting is at +4900w (assuming 5kw inverter capacity)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yep the second option would be if you wanted to limit the export, (eg if you run into high grid voltage issues in the summer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

First electric bill minus a week before the solar was installed.

Previous units used 420 day and 607 night

Current units used 183 day and 556 night

Saving approx. €39 on previous bill although not a true reflection as the prices went up about midway through that cycle.

Using less than half of the days units and slightly less night. Night units are not such a big difference as we would be charging the battery at night with less EV charging so balances each other out.

Would expect the night units to come down when longer evening are here and the battery will not be charging at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Never got back to you on this. My battery does reach 100%, but then stops charging as the battery is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm having a similar issue. I got my panels installed in August and I'm just comparing my output with all of the posts here in the thread and mine is way off what seems to be the norm. I'm in north Roscommon but there can't be that much variance.

4.3kwp East West split. (2.16kwp equal split as house faces almost due west).

49.8 Kwh for November

16.6 kwh for December

Coming to the end of January and total production is 31.2 kwh

Those figures don't make sense in comparison to similar size systems, smaller systems etc producing multiples a lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Equal split in terms of panels, but have you got two separate strings into the inverter (2 x DC + and 2 x DC -)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭mun1

Are the east/west panels on 2 different strings or are they combined together into one input on your inverter ?

is there shadowing on your panels in winter ?

can you see the voltage outputs to inverter on app ? This might tell you what’s happening with output.

i have one south facing string (12 x 300W panels ) and one west facing string (four panels) on different strings into my inverter.

the west facing contribute very little in winter but the south give a decent output in winter (dec = 97KWh, jan = 120 kWh)

Someone a year ago had the issue where their wonderful installer had "balanced" the East/West panels across both strings thereby killing the output all day except for around noon

Thanks for the pointers.

They are on two different strings, on the app/website I have PV1 (East) and PV2 (West).

There is no shadowing on the panels. I can see the voltage inputs to the inverter and they are almost identical. The screenshot is from yesterday. I'm guessing because you asked, that these should be different. Looking back through other days, they are all mirror images of each other with small variance.

Can you post a screenshot of the output watts / kW

The first one is from yesterday. The vast majority of output graphs between November and January look similar to this. There are a few where the output from the west facing panels was higher in the afternoon when there was late afternoon sun. But most mirror each other fairly closely. Unlike the August one above which was the day after the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Something seems wrong. What you saw in August is normal. Unless you have a very shallow roof output of the east and west panels should never be identical. Are you absolutely sure about the shading? Have you looked at the panels while its sunny? I am also puzzled by how your input voltage goes from 200V to 120V. 120V is usually not sufficient to drive an inverter string.

You are not losing a huge amount. I have a 4.8kW E/W system and my output for Jan is 70kWh. E/W really suffers from Nov-Feb.

• Advertisement

Roof is at 30 degree angle. Have a chimney on the roof but not directly beside panels, so not a problem. It might not be a huge amount, but mine is only producing about 50% of yours. It only produced 16kwh in December. I'll have to contact the installers and get them to have a look at it.

Advertisement