Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yep that’s fair enough but I do wonder will we get the supplies of gas Biden promises and if so can we just use LPG in the gas grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,773 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's I can't answer wouldn't be too knowledgeable on gas infrastructures

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

But Putin knows that already, that was never on the cards. Why put a huge military force at the border to achieve so little, back himself into a corner , whatever he does he is going to be seen as the bad guy. All the US and Nato have to do is sit back and let Putin make the moves. If Putin messes up well then the US and Nato are going to be the good guys again. He has basically revitalised Nato given it a new purpose and brought Eastern Europe back in from the cold and closer to mother Europe again and further than ever from Mother Russia

This is Putins "George Bush" moment before the Iraq invasion, hopefully he sees sense soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think it’s fairly important we know that we can accept an alternative to putins gas before we call his bluff.

• Advertisement

That's it , when you think about it he has the ability to turn off the heating ,and the lights ,if the lights go out we lose the internet and communications we all rely on both our phones and internet devices ,no communication and or internet and markets and economies crash , banking Will be effected ,add that to angry people and you get mass civil unrest .

But not in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The British prime minister said that “European friends” had concerns about imposing the toughest possible sanctions on Moscow because of their “heavy dependence” on Russian gas – and also declared the UK would be willing to deploy more troops to eastern Europe if Ukraine was attacked.

sigh, you'd think the UK PM might be clued in enough not to be doing Putin's job + taking the usual pot shots in public at the so called "European friends" <puke>, trying to wedge open gaps in the EU given seriousness of what is going on out there in the world + what might be at stake, but I suppose I expect too much.

Seems a certain picture didn't go down well at all.

Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney has criticised a recent meeting between the new chief of staff of the Defence Forces and the Russian ambassador to Ireland.

Mr Coveney, who is also Minister for Defence, told the Fine Gael parliamentary party on Wednesday that he was “surprised to put it mildly” at Lieutenant General Seán Clancy’s meeting with Yury Filatov last Friday.

Mr Coveney said he had spoken to the recently appointed chief of staff and that he viewed what happened as ill-judged, according to sources at the Fine Gael meeting who said it was clear from his comments that Mr Coveney had reprimanded the State’s top military official.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/simon-coveney-criticises-meeting-between-new-defence-forces-chief-of-staff-and-russian-ambassador-41282029.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MFPM

Any sigh of that invasion yet? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

Good read about Germany's abject reliance on Russian gas, coal etc.

• Advertisement

Ah Putin's expansion.....US has 750 bases in 80 countries....deliberate intervention to destabilise any country that dares elect people who oppose US imperial interests, never mind financing mass slaughter in Palestine and Yemen...but Russia! 😏

No it doesn't have 750 bases in 80 countries .....

Less invasion more education

More than Johnson have said it, the Ukraine have had to call out Germany a few times.

There won't be much longer term reaction from the EU to an invasion, Germany, Austria and the Dutch have made that very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Id much rather imperial US residing over world affairs than Russia, the two arent even comparable, the irony of that comment, if you think the US or the west are the bad guys you're badly misled.

Im delighted the US has bases all over the world and long may it continue to keep the likes of China,Russia and Iran in check by any means.

Can't beat our sense of humor

I suppose if you were going to dispute something in that post it was this point the rest is simply beyond argument. Now on the bases....there's any number of sources but here's one..knock yourself out!

'Despite recently closing hundreds of bases in Iraq and Afghanistan, the United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad—from giant “Little Americas” to small radar facilities. Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined'

I suppose that's easy to say if you don't live in a country that the US hasn't destroyed or directly or indirectly slaughtered innocent people.

You seem to have no issue with Saudi Arabia I see, your mighty US are not doing much to stop them killing innocent people in Yemen...oh hold on they are, they're financing it! But then again you couldn't care less about them, they're irrelevant because it's not Russia doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’m still waiting for the ‘imminent’ invasion of the Baltic States since 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

• Advertisement

Another America did this and America did that in a thread about Russia..

Plenty of Russian weapons in Yemen via Iran ,

Any conflict in Africa it's Russian weapons we see ,

What about the yemei conflict I see iran who's proxies who started another civil war the 6th civil war in yemen in 50 years go unmentioned but no surprises there !

Regardless id still rather the US as the top dog than Russia, China, you d have a LOT more to cry about if one of them was in charge except they wouldnt give a toss and if you spoke out you'd more than likely be killed.

You dont realize how good we have it in the west because the US is top dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

This over reliance on Russian gas must have been anticipated by Russia long, long ago and factored into the current state of things.

Appeasement appears to be the only solution but boy does it make Germany, and hence the EU, look weak; so even had the EU a combined military of its own there would be very little done as Germany still has the final say.

I just hope this teaches our Government and others a lesson about the climate strategy - renewables are great but we can't just give up the ghost on other options while relying on Russian Gas to prop it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I dont think Russia would be too quick to turn off the gas, They d lose alot too and if Europe found a way to cope without it, it would backfire massively. It d be a massive escalation aswell and united everyone even further against Russia.

Renewables are the future but closing down existing plants across Europe and here before enough capacity had been built was deeply and profoundly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's little hope China wanting Russia taking limelight from the Olympics in February. They make public statements but privately in sure they are back channeling messages to Putin that say a whole lot different.

China who themselves are preparing to attack Taiwan....

Oh the irony

I guess the Chinese are backing this as part of a resetting of the world order post ww2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think any other European leader (or Biden?) has made public comments quite like that (if article linked is correct). He is not a journalist or commentator making such statements. I don't think it is very helpful really.

Germany has not sent weapons to Ukraine but that is not surprising to me at all really. Germany doesn't want to impose sanctions that could leave them (and others around Europe) with an energy crunch/shades of the 70s and alot of hardship, perhaps economic crises post covid etc. unless they have to, that is not very surprising either for all the bleating about it.

I did not hear of any (let alone 3) EU leaders making it clear there will be "no (long term) reaction" to an invasion of Ukraine by Russia.

If worst really happens, you might see US/UK govts. not quite so eager to just cut Russia off completely in every way possible e.g. likes of banking.

But sure the various economic interconnections and dependencies of Western countries on likes of Putin which have grown up as a result of either greed, or a naive faith that free markets and trade relations would eventually bring forth democracy and freedom etc. everywhere + an end to war are now suddenly all (Bad) Germany's fault.

I just get a bit cheesed off with that narrative (resulting in my posts + responses to you, though you're not the only one), but think that's the last I'll say on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement