Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Reading Andy Lyons is going to Rovers.

Didn't see that coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Live View of Keith going into the dressing room at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Nope, they wouldn't have signed. They'd have just headed off to another LOI club or to a club up North that would've been happy to have them on any deal or even thrown the feelers out to British clubs. Point is they'd have had bags of options. No one likes seeing their best players walk out the door but we are not in a strong negotiating position with these players. Mahon will have seen the likes of McGrath going to St. Mirren, having a good season and not only being capped by Ireland but becoming an important player and thinking that could be him.

We've made €150k + add ons on Kenny and €100k+ on Mahon. They are not earth shattering figures but when you think of some of the talent that has left the league this winter for nothing it puts it in perspective, the likes of James Brown leaving Drogheda and on the bench for a Championship promotion chaser or the best striker in the league last season gone from Bohs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Could Rovers suggest an alternative to their ban on their fans being able to going to the first game of the season the ban being moved to the presidents cup final on the week before?

Give Pats as many tickets as they want, no tickets for Rovers, point made and Rovers will check who get away tickets but can’t be held responsible for “Rovers fans” who enter in the home area and make their way to the rovers area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rey Mysterio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s right up there with the best league of Ireland names ever. Finn Harps outdoing themselves this year. First Yo-Yo and now this !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Shels beat us fairly comfortably this evening, 2-0. Played a very entertaining style of football under Duff. 343 with width from the two wingbacks. The two starting central midfielders, Dervan and Coyle(?), controlled affairs.

We were grand, created a couple of decent chances but we're still well off a full squad so not much to be taken from it as yet. Adeyemo looked okay and Lyons, ex Cobh, did well at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fairly dirty high tackle from Rey Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sligo Rovers finally have a striker. Aidan Keena (ex Pats) is returning from Scotland according to Neil O'Riordan.

Need a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Seems to be the plan with that formation as Duff got rid of any essence of wingers from the team, whe played it in our "secret" 2-2 draw with Derry and the game against Wexford in the AUL on Saturday (a lot of the younger lads played that game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still very light up top, need an experienced head there anyway, think the average age of our forwards is about 21.

Abankwah going to Udinese for over €500k just shows how badly we undervalued Kenny.

Great move for him and Udinese is a good spot to land and develop. Hopefully it works out and we see him in the NT in a few years.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/8260668/udinese-james-abankwah-st-pats-transfer/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Is there anyone left to play at the back for Pats? Jaros, Desmond, Abankwah...

Bermo and Paddy “The Beast” Barrett. We’ll be grand !

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

LOITV details have been announced. Sadly they've removed the season pass and you can only buy individual PD games now for €7 each, up from I think €5. FD games are €5 each.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems like a deliberate attempt to kill it off.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Yep, I'd agree.

I'm probably the casual fan the streaming was hoping to tap into. I would watch plenty matches on the season pass but at €7 a pop I'll be watching a lot less now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yeah I'd only buy a pass to a Bohs game I can't get to. No desire to pay for another teams fixtures, but would have bought a season pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

A nowTv day pass for sky or bt is a tenner. That lets you watch multiple matches or sports in a 24 hour period.

7 quid for 1 match is absolutely mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Despite having a service to watch the games, I'd have paid for a season pass to support the model and league. Doing it weekly is likely more hassle than I'll bother with. Certainly not a way to encourage people to watch I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Agreed, disappointed no season ticket. As others have said it would have used it for harps games (especially living in Dublin, get more away) and maybe dip into others that I wouldn't have otherwise

Can't see it being around 2023 and hard not to see it as a deliberate move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Personally I have no problem with it, I'll be just using it to watch Rovers away matches and only games against top 4 or 5 teams. Wouldn't have invested in a full season pass.

• Advertisement

Seems more like the government pandemic funding is being withdrawn and its not able to fund itself.

Talk of some clubs spending 1k per game on it. If that's true or even half true, you're looking at 100-200 match by match punters needed just to break even. I would say with season ticket holders getting it free last year, most clubs were nowhere near that.

It's a good idea but if it wasn't viable when the entire country was in lockdown, it hasn't much chance now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't think you can compare Sky to a LOI streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Disappointed there is no season pass for sure.

Will definitely be getting the Bohs away games - €126 for all 18. Would have paid more for a season pass so they'll end up losing revenue. Really don't see the logic here. I'm sure there is many ST or members of clubs in LOI who probably would have paid around €150 for season pass. Now they will only pay for the away games of their side, max €126

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Without getting into a sexism argument but I assume the cost of streaming the womens game costs as much as the mens so the price had to go up as for every match you buy you are also paying for a womens game which are being streamed free.

If each game stood on their own merits it would be better for the consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This is the thing, they're likely to lose money by not providing a season pass. I'm abroad and due to work commitments and the time zone difference, I won't get to stream and pay for all of the Finn Harps games. This was the same last season, but made up for it by watching other games. The difference is now I wont be paying to watch the equivalent of Longford v Waterford in the relegation battle. So I'll be watching less and paying less where I would have had no problem paying for a season pass, even if it was increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Drogheda sign Sam Long (GK) and Sean Roughan (Irish u-21defender) on loan from Lincoln City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

James Abanwkah to Udinese confirmed. Excellent move for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The season pass (2 in dundalks case- 1 for each part of the season) was a great way to follow your team. The clubs should offer two season passes - one home, one away for the coming season. That way St ticket holders wouldn't be (as) affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Someone might find it of interest

https://www.dundalkfc.com/swai-website-of-the-year/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

That's what it's about.

I wouldn't rule out Shels from that mix too. Their signings to date wouldn't inspire and I'm not sure about Duff. It could go any way with them.

€126 for away games means it'd be €252 for all games for fans living overseas or too far away from the stadium to be able to go. It's insane money for 36 games via streaming.

Can't even describe it as a f*ck up as it seems intentional to kill it off (as mentioned already). Happy to have streams again but really disappointed there is no season pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The €7 pricing may well push more fans to just shell out that bit extra to go away games instead especially since so many PD games are easily accessible in Leinster with 5 Dublin clubs/Drogheda/Dundalk, too high pricing kills off many products with potential

I may pay the €7 if Shels are in a crucial away game towards the end of the season I can't get to but otherwise for away games I'll catch the highlights like I've done for the past 20 years no big deal

But that really doesn’t make sense as the layout in covering all games will be the same, but the income is likely to be lower. I’d echo what others have said, I’d happily have got the season pass, but now I’ll only buy Pats games where I’m not going. As was said, if you wr3 of a suspicious mind you’d think someone is trying to kill it off.

Its alright saying it should be X price but what if the clubs cant afford to run it cheaper at discount season pass prices?

Who pays for a loss making live streaming service? It has no appeal as an advertising tool or to get people interested in the league.

Before this the government were handing out cash but that's being pulled back on now.

People want a lot for their subscription on this - 2 commentators, graphics on screen, haltime analysis, reliable wifi.....

The uptake for this in a season where games were played infront of reduced crowds or no crowds at all was fairly pathetic. Most were picking it up on dodgy boxes or just not bothering. The diehards had season tickets and got it for free. They'll now be at matches

The average person with no interest in LOI football didnt buy in at all. They used their €7 a month for an amazon or Netflix sub.

The income was already low and without government funding it wouldnt have been viable during lockdown. A time when the league had a captive audience.

The income is likely to be lower because people who are interested in LOI go to matches. It isn't a product that translates well on TV.

LOITV was novel but if it can't finance itself its probably not going to be around too long. Then theres the issue of its purpose.

If the majority of LOI fans go to matches and new fans arent going to pay money to give it a try on a stream when there are bags of other options, what's its purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Most of us are hoping for at least another 4 signings I. Top of some of the 'yet to be announced' ones that are resigning. I'm not hugely enthused by what we've done yet, we need another cm, a winger (highly unlikely to happen), a 10 (again fairly unlikely) and still feel we're short a real goalscorer. Still and all I'd expect us to be in the mix and if we're not questions will most likely be asked.

Wouldn’t argue with any of that, but I understood your original point as being that they dropped the season pass as a money saving exercise, which wouldn’t make sense to me anyway, as you’d still have the cost of covering every match, but more than likely less money coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It kind of isn't - The premier match streams are fully professionally produced, which is fairly expensive. The Women's games are being streamed either by volunteers or by Pixellot's automatic cameras/graphics, both of which are basically free.

The WNL audience are very happy to have anything, because there really was **** all coverage for years. Premier club fans have extremely high expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

To be honest, I'm quite disappointed that there's no season passes myself. I loved flicking around different matches when I could, and thought the platform had real potential.

I accept that the model last year couldn't last forever, production was too expensive at many clubs and the price was too low. I think a middle ground could have been met. More club media teams should have taken the work themselves (as the more enterprising First Division clubs have done) and the price needed to be raised. Think back to the 2020 season - virtually all First Division clubs were able to create a streaming product that their fans were happy with, and none of them were spending much at all on it.

I cant see LOITV lasting beyond this year with the current pricing structure, and then we'll be left with very little live coverage on any platform. Awful shame.

I'm a sucker for supporting the LOI, I'll put my hand in my pocket at basically any decent opportunity. I bought my own First Division Pass just to support my club, and then bought a Premier pass as well just to support the whole venture. Didn't get much use out of it really, just switched on the odd game that didn't clash with one of my own. That's a decent chunk of money towards premier football that I would never normally spend. I absolutely can't see myself specifically spending €7 for a particular more than once or twice a year. But €80 to €120 to dip in and out as I want all season? Yeah, 100%, sign me up. Really wouldn't bother me if the stream was made by trained enthusiastic and passionate volunteers instead of the gold standard professionals of Siobhan Madigan and co.

As has been pointed out they are actually going to lose money from a lot of people. They are only getting €126 out of me now paying for the 18 away games instead of say €150 which most LOI fans would have paid up front for a season pass. You'd think at least half of the subscribers to the service are either regulars at their local side or season ticket holders, so they will only be paying for the away games too. That's a significant amount of money they are losing.

Will it even be €126 they get from everyone? If Rovers are playing sh*te and heading to Tallaght in September to get smashed I probably won't pay €7 to watch it. Other fans of other teams will be in the same situation. Maybe they are away on holiday or at a wedding and won't be able to watch, so skip it. I don't think many of us will pay €7 to watch a random league match either as it's not worth it.

As Darkglasses mentioned above, many of the 1D sides put on a decent stream and didn't spend anywhere near as much producing it. I bought multiple games last season from Shels, Treaty and Galway and all of them were fine. If they wanted to save money they could have easily done so on the production without harming the quality much. They have outsourced this work to local production companies which inflates the production cost significantly over the course of a season. Rovers for example could have partnered with Ocean for commentary the same way ifollow partners with the BBC in the UK. Get some sponsors on board whose ads are run on every stream before/at HT/after the games like on ifollow.

I'm seeing some people say they've priced it like this to try to stop the games ending up on dodgy boxes which, if true, is absurd. Their security since back during watchloi has been non-existent and the solution to this is to destroy any potential growth for the service and kill it within 12 months? A good start to protecting the streams would have been to ban server IPs from accessing the streams (the most basic thing which they don't even do), use hotlink protection and block foreign useragents so the stream is more difficult to run outside their own player/website. The "security" they use is as bad as what the NFL used to have around 15 years ago.

And anyways, the dodgy boxes have had the NIFL games throughout COVID even though they used a PPV model and were priced even higher than the €7 per game LOITV want, so it's not going to deter them. They'll pay the €7 per game and €5 for the 1D.

Overall I'm really disappointed as I'm going to watch so much less LOI this season because of the pricing. With Rovers home games on Saturday nights I almost always watched a Friday night game from another side. Can't do that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

I'd echo this. I split my time between Portugal and here and I'd have no hesitation paying for the season pass. When I'm home I'll get the home games and some away trips. When I'm in Portugal I'd stream all the games. But I cannot justify paying for every game separately. Like others I also enjoyed checking on the oppositions games on a regular basis. So it's not just a loss of revenue that this will bring but also a reduced interest/knowledge within the league generally, as apart from our games against Shels or Drogheda it's unlikely I'll see either team play again during the season (unless they feature on RTE and the match doesn't clash with a Harps match). I have no issue with cutting production costs. Unfortunately this is another step backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Perfect, 6 months in Lisbon watching Sporting ,6 months here watching Rovers, and the odd few weekends in Glasgow watching Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Absolutely spot on this post. They need to maximise the revenue from every LOI fan in the country, this model will never achieve that. It's a completely flawed model, upping the price for the minority of fans who can't attend games and losing revenue for the regular attending LOI fan (majority of LOI fans). It makes no business sense whatsoever. It would be like a gym making you pay only for every time you attend the gym, rather than a membership fee. Then when all those folk who sign up in Jan never appear again, wondering where it went wrong.

The security/IPTV issue won't be resolved either by pricing. As mentioned above, some simple steps could make it more difficult for IPTV providers. However, this is the world we operate in right now and if a reasonable season pass was available, I'd say the majority of LOI fans would opt for that over IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think a few of us just vastly overestimated the interest there might be from the Irish soccer public . Unfortunately the league is still a niche interest with a die hard group . If these are going to be back in grounds there’s absolutely no way there is another cohort of people not going to grounds and willing to pay or subscribe in enough numbers to keep it viable

As said before most loi grounds are a terrible tv spectacle anyway . On the bright side attendances were rising pre pandemic and the match day/ night experience is the way to grow the support with better facilities, family friendly grounds .

I hope the league are copped on a bit with dates and kick off times this year and give away supporters a chance , some of the times set for games are ridiculous

• Advertisement

We've always known the league's attractiveness is limited and even the lad from RTE was harping on about how their WatchLOI was unviable due to subscriber numbers. It was actually unviable because it's RTE and the production cost, like with everything else they are involved in, was disgracefully high. No attempt was made to put on a viable streaming service with them.

The FAI have 18 months of subscriber data available to them and still have done nothing to try to make it viable based off the numbers they could expect to sign up. In their announcement yesterday they advertise an "Enhanced two-camera set-up set to be available for all Premier Division matches". They're probably spending more now in some grounds to get a 2 camera set up going.

I think we're at the point of no return in regards to streaming. How can we all go back to twitter and flashscore updates for games? We're used to seeing every game live either in person or online. They need to figure something out, even if it means offering a simple, low production cost service using the automated cameras next season. Going back to 1 game on RTE every 2 months and everything else on flashscore/twitter with highlights a day later should be option Z at this point if we ever want to grow the league. Even NIFL have a long term streaming deal in place for the next few seasons.

edit: Also, I've noticed in my group of friends there has been more LOI interest since the streaming started and highlights are instantly available. Even lads who don't watch LOI would post a highlight of a good goal in our group chat. One of my friends in Germany watched many games last season because of the streaming. He watched them for free on a betting website, so no income came directly from streaming. But last summer he bought a Bohs home kit and we regularly talk about the league now. Streaming will play a massive part in any potential growth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement