Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

60k with a mate then 50k solo. Was okay the first half and got cold for second half and couldn’t warm up at all. Was working a bit but felt cold to my core the whole time. Every after I got home I was goi g for some supplies and wrapped up so much that SWMbO commented that’s it’s unlike me. 27k with 900m. I’m sure it did me some good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Safe to assume that was a disgruntled motorist that happened to be outside their car for once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so it seems the cycle lane is there for about 700m, not 'a few hundred' as i'd said. but it's one of those cycle lanes out in the middle of nowhere that doesn't actually connect to other cycle lanes.

there's an interesting design a bit further on (i was heading towards clonee), and a car did actually get stuck behind me - because of a median in the middle of the bridge over the M3. no cycle path on the bridge though. i'd be unsure of what the median is for, i assume to explicitly prevent overtakes, but it's a very uncommon design:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4133211,-6.4437346,3a,75y,244.33h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIHSGPfe7LZt_FosrER5S7A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Something annoying that I've noticed from commuting home at 1am the last 3 nights, motorists just don't turn off their high beams for a cyclist. I've had to 'flash' them by waving my light at them and one didn't even turn them off...

On the plus side, it's been dry, wind is calm and temperatures have been mild so can't complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I've noticed that the new cars with auto dipping often (or never?) recognise cyclists.

Beyond these drivers to dip for themselves apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

These were older cars. Same again cycling home last night, I even turned my light up to 800 lumens and pointed it at the car and they didn't turn them off. Fog lights on too of course. Some older BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sunday morning...60 odd km out from Finglas up to Ashbourne, on up to Garristown, Clonalvy and back home to Dublin.

The amount of litter and rubbish in the ditches would make you sick, it's so bad in places it's hard to understand. Summer foliage will cover it up eventually but it's a depressing sight this time of year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and a good proportion of the stuff you see dumped is recyclable for free, which is infuriating.

one thing which does seem to have dropped off is people burning rubbish in their gardens; i remember about five years ago on a 30 or 40km having to hold my breath three times because there was noxious smoke drifting out from people's gardens. that seems much rarer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

think i'd prefer if they burnt it rather than throwing it in the ditch. But obviously that's probably worse for the environment overall.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Around the top and southern side of Boston Hill, near Newcastle Co Dublin there is the remains of a car but it's in loads of pieces. Someone took the time to cut the car up fairly cleanly and dumped it along various ditches. As I understood it, there was a decent scrap value to them these days so I'm at a loss as to why you'd dump one (unless it was some kind on bogus insurance claim for theft after the owner damaged it).

There does seem to be an increase in the amount of litter scattered along hedges these days and it's not just that it is more visible in winter.

The worst that I've seen in recent years was along the L3001 bog road between Edenderry and Rathangan. I'd say lads had been bringing van loads of crap (matresses, fridges and anything else that you can think of) there specifically to dump.

Anyway, getting back on topic, in an attempt to build up my climbing legs, yesterday I went out and did the aformentioned Boston Hill five times giving me a total of 490m. Practice makes perfect allegedly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up at the featherbeds yesterday and the ditches are full of crap which appears to have been fly tipped from a passing car. It's sickening that people do this in what is a natural beauty spot.

Back up to the Hellfire Club over lunch, glorious out there but the GK slicks are no way up to the mud!

Went up through Ashbourne and towards the Naul, over Snowtown and around by Bellewstown. I shake my head in disgust when I see the amount of stuff dumped in ditches, I do stop and use the See It Say It app which sends a report to the council to come and clean up this stuff. However Im sure we are all paying for the cleanup via the Property Tax. Anyway it was a bad day to bring a cleanish bike round the hills as the roads were destroyed. I felt the overwhelming need to wash the bike before the rider. 57K with 650m up. Sun came out with gave me a slight sniff of spring (too soon?)

Headed out this morning around 7:30 and had a lovely spin. I had decided to take it easier that I normally would and take in some of the stuff I normally pass by.

Headed from Leixlip along the back of Intel where I passed a deer tucking itself in against the hedge to keep away from me. There is often deer around there - I think they tend to stay along the Rye River but occasionally wander off. There was plenty of other wildlife around with the birds most notable. The dawn chorus season has started. Also saw a few birds that can be somewhat elusive including a lovely looking male bullfunch. I had been hoping to see the barn owl that I've seen a few times near Dolly's Grove but alas, not today.

I headed through Kilcloon over to Moyglare and then to an area called Rodanstown where the ruins of an old church sit. Took a few photos of the church and then went on a bit more where there is an old Motte - again another photo taken (the links here are from wikipedia).

Moved on a bit more to a dead-end laneway which I discovered last night while browsing the OSI 25" & Google maps of the area (I was bored!). Having a laneway called "Watery Boreen" meant I had to go down it. It was a boreen alright but wasn't very watery! I'd say the occupants of the houses along it were wondering why a cyclist was there at that hour and taking a couple of photos of a laneway.

Doing a U-turn at the end of Watery Boreen and back onto the main road again, there is a holy well named after St. Brigid who presumably was the one who put in the guardrails and put the seats there. Still, I'd say it's a nice place to sit and reflect if the three dogs in the neighbouring house stop barking at you.

Headed on again northwards towards Mullagh Hill (half way between Dunboyne & Summerhill) and then made my way back to Kilcloon and then home to get the laptop powered on to make it look like I was working and not wandering around on my bike.

50kms @ 27.2km/h with a number of stops. It's nice to feel I can stop and not have to push myself the whole time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6593434567

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Similar to above, today was to be a take it easy day as my legs are just tired lately and I've started to find my saddles a bit annoying lately, though they're new to me bikes and saddles, so just not for me. Off to the park via Tolka Valley, did a loop, straweberry beds, then I struggled up Somerton lane and back wheel kept slipping )nice patient drivers behind me.

Rugged lane was closed to traffic so didn't go back down, instead passed Westmanstown and headed for Leixlip and the back of Carton house. Onto Dunboyne, Kilbride, St Margerets and home. 70 km in a bit under 3 hours. Legs felt better the more I went on.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6593965971

think i got the better half of the day, finishing up just as the light was starting to fade. 66km around NCD, a decent bit of up at 870m. quite windy but pleasant otherwise.

Got my third century of the year this morning on a club spin from Lucan > Dunboyne > Kilbride > Ratoath > Dunshaughlin > Kilcock > Lucan.

The headwind fornthe first half of the spin was worst along one of my least favourite stretches, between Kilbride and Ratoath and I had the pleasure of being at the front for most of it.

Still, it meant that the NW wind was on our back for the second half of the spin.

102km @ 26.9km/h with 539m

Leave the Garmin at home day for me. I'm always on the clock so have gotten into the bad habit of doing tempos or cramming as many kms as I can into the short window I have while always watching the headset.

Headed out in the dark and straight into a strong wind with no major route in mind and found some new roads. Rode at a comfortable pace and enjoyed it.

Had a tailwind the whole way home so it made it very pleasant. It's a lot easier to chase two small kids around for the day when you haven't emptied the tank!

70km with 883m climbing at 28.7kph: https://www.strava.com/activities/6598057800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

No today, but Thursday 27th. Set off from Beaumont, up through Clonshaugh to the Naul Road and then up to Ballyboughal. Cut across then to Moneyhill, Skyrne and then the Hill of Tara for a few photos. Route home was easier, from Tara to Dunshaughlin on to Ratoath, Nine Milestone, Old Airport Road and home via Santry.

Was a neat 100 km, with an average pace of 23 km/h. First ride of that sort of distance in a long time and really enjoyed it.

Wondering if there are any better (free) apps for setting and tracking routes other than Map my Ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

out again today, tired legs after the climbing yesterday. not helped by the fact that it was nice and calm as i headed northbound, but while i was pootling about just north of fourknocks, a fairly decent southwesterly blew up and instead of the relaxed downhill i was expecting most of the way back, i was pushing into a cold blustery wind.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

No cycle today. Went out yesterday, saw a sparrowhawk, two kestrels, and a hare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Club spin, touring group, Headed from Gorey to Carnew, and across to Bunclody, punctured just before Bunclody and again on the way to Enniscorthy, slit in the tyre, we inserted a makeshift tyre boot which held up. Turned left at scarawalsh roundabout for Ferns and back to Gorey.

75 km , 570 meters, avg 29kph.

I have seen two pairs of buzzards, a kite, and a sparrowhawk, while out on the bike, all in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Very risky spin for me today, left the house with the Garmin at only 54%.

on that i can't complain, i bought an edge 25 for the princely sum of €45 in lidl about five years ago and still get at least six hours out of the battery (longer, i think, in warmer weather)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

137km with 2,300m of ascent around Wicklow today. https://strava.app.link/S9zqXZDyfnb

Solo spin with glorious sunshine in the cold (1°C in places over Sally Gap) as far as Laragh. The hippy café was shuttered but it wasn't a problem as I had enough food in my pockets. Over Shay Elliott and down to Glenmalure. Today I turned right and made my way up the valley to the carpark near the Miner's Way. For a pretty quiet valley the carpark had at least 40 cars in it.

The forecasted rain swept down the hills and dampened the bike and the roads on the way up Slieve Maan. Through Aughavannagh and towards Rathangan the mist had descended. This time I turned right for the Ballinabarnagh Gap and the Glen of Imaal. It's a lovely little road, the surface is pretty good and I'm sure the views are lovely on a good day but not today. I haven't cycled the roads through Donard in at least 10 years but I remember the climbs. I tried to avoid the N81 for as long as possible by keeping to side roads. I had a strong tailwind once I was on it but it was unpleasantly busy with other traffic and the surface was very mucky. I took a small bit of the Greenway into Blessington and then the roads through Manor Kilbride and Lisheens. To avoid the Embankment I went over Mount Seskin instead and then the usual spin home from Tallaght.

There were plenty of birds about, wrens in the hedges on Cruagh Road, a raven watching me near the source of the Liffey, red kites wheeling overhead in Drumgoff, goldfinches in a garden bird feeder in Donard and a huge flock of rooks and jackdaws battling the wind in Firhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

sounds like a class spin, brilliant description as well, felt like I was there with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sounds like a great spin despite the weather. All the main carparks in the Wicklow and Dublin mountains fill up early these weekends with increased interest in hill walking and not much car-pooling. Baravore is the start point for the most attractive way up Lugnaquilla so really draws the crowds. It's a while since I cycled through the Glen of Imaal but I've good memories of crossroads like Knockanarrigan - love the name too!

I thought, given the mega-milage that you normally cover, that you might have turned right at Hollywood to go around the Lake Drive. I know some here hate it with a vengance but it sure beats the N81. Manor Kilbride, Lisheens and Mt Seskin would be my preferred way home from there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ballinabarnagh gap is underrated. So little traffic. If you take it from donard, there's an alpaca farm somewhere along the way

Advertisement