Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MFPM

Well the government are well-used to bending over for foreign powers, they've allowed the US war machine use Shannon Airport for their mass slaughter of innocents....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭josip

It would be easy enough to source coal from elsewhere I suspect. Easier than gas and there wouldn't be any shortage of bulk carriers for coal, unlike LNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It seems to me that Russia has a huge strategic advantage here. NATO and Ukraine must wait defensively and withstand whatever comes whenever it comes, while Russia can choose where and when attack without fear of major reprisal beyond economic sanctions. The restraint is admirable but gives them an incredible advantage. And alternative would be to punish them for playing this brinksmanship so that we aren't back here in ten years. If they do invade Ukraine, NATO should invade the motherland via the Baltics and besiege St Petersburg/cut off their access the Baltic sea. That's how you deal with a bully

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah but the fact is we can’t use the alternative LNG that may be supplied by the US and Corrib provides below 50% of our gas needs now.

So if the gas taps do get closed we are up **** creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Accurate assessment?? Your opinion. But don't worry., I'm not affected by it. But if your posts about imperial crimes, was a bit more balanced, and listed the same crimes committed by other Country's, then may be I (and possibly others ) might take you a bit more serious, there's a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They allow 40 other countries including Russia to use shannon .

And no weapons or munitions have ever been brought through Shannon ,

Russia bombed over 100 hospitals and medical clinics in Syria over the last few years ,

But America brought men and women through Shannon who spend several million a year in the local economy ..

How shocking ,

But in a really weird and ironic way the Same people ranting about the US Will be begging the same US to save them if we get dragged into a war...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They are masters in manipulation the Russians. He was used like a little old Instagram tool. Not very smart on his part even if it was some form of doorstepping.

You seem to have some comprehension issues. My posts precisely bring some balance to this thread, I have pointed out the hypocrisy of Western Imperialism and their lackeys here and elsewhere.

Rather interesting you've sought no such balance from the Russiaphobes on the thread.

You are aware that assessments inform opinion....there is nothing inaccurate in any of my posts which is why most replies are not in response to what I've said but what they think I'm saying but then again if you bothered to read my posts amd replies you'd see that. Now my good lad that would be a better use of your time than posting disingenuous replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Ah FFS no munitions or weapons, grow the f@ck up. Now you're just descending into lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

All this talk of the supply of gas is quite amusing , what about the consumer?

People want to keep warm in winter, want hot water and hot food and couldn’t give a s***e where their gas comes from. Who says ‘I think I’ll turn on Putin’s gas’ when they feel cold or want a hot bath? NOBODY!

People with strong opinions about women’s and LBGT rights will fill their cars with Saudi oil will they not?

People (Germans) have a choice if they want to boycott ‘Putin’s gas’ , they can have cold baths and showers, wear an overcoat at home while they’re eating cold beans out of a tin. It’s that simple really and not as ridiculous as it sounds.

Indeed but there has much focus on them in the thread hence the need for some balance to the hypocrisy...do keep up, please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Don't even bother. The guy wouldn't have been able to find Ukraine on a map before last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

As you say we would hope get it via the pipelines that are connected to others (i.e. the UK). We'd have no direct control ourselves because we can't imort it from tankers. Now I don't think the UK is self-sufficient either (haven't looked up figures) and are in turn connected to others too, but they can handle imports by tanker themselves.

(I assume) we have to hope there will be some sort of co-operation & burden-sharing around Europe in event of a cut off or a large decrease in fuel supply from Russia but I suppose you never know and there may be an every man for himself game of countries all cutting each others pipeline connections, hoarding gas, scrambling to secure their own stashes etc. I think that's less likely to happen than co-operation though.

• i don’t think German people were asked for their opinions!

If Russia’s gas is turned off how likely is it there will be any left of the alternative gas, that the US will supply, for us to use?

The LNG can’t be offloaded in Ireland as we don’t have an LNG terminal.

We would be depending on the UK to share.

Personally I don’t think it would be amusing if we had no gas or electricity in the country, but whatever your into yourself.

I will never not be amused by people who've grown up in one of the worlds safest countries, shielded by the safety and comfort of the world's largest common market, with absolutely more safe guards and rights than any nation on earth.

Where they can access healthcare without being mortgaged up to their eyes. Where they have social assistance should they fall on hard times.

Continually give out ridiculous nonsense about how bad the West is. How stupid and crap Ireland is and how the EU is the worst institution going. All the while putting autocratic dictators of any flavour on pedestals and lauding how powerful and great and smart they are.

Its one of lifes greatest conundrums how incredibly un-selfaware edgits are on how much they literally won the life lottery. They actually have the time, space, access to technology and forums to give out this stupid stuff is a clear demonstrations of how free and privileged they are.

Fools and their astounding ignorance aye.... Its a sight to behold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Iran is participating in the Indian Ocean theatre of naval drills the Russian and Chinese fleets are conducting next month, among the exercises they are practicing is night time air defence and recapturing hijacked vessels. They're calling it 'Marine Security Belt 2022'

That’s a fairly optimistic view IMO.

Politicians care about their own people aka votes.

If there a shortage of gas in the UK boris won’t keep the taps on for us if sky news starts showing families freezing in Newcastle!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can you provide anything other than whataboutry.....

We know about iraq it's been discussed over 20 years on boards,but one of the biggest issues with Iraq was after they went in there was no real what now , which then allowed iran and others to sponsor and support directly an insurgency against the civilians of Iraq based off settling scores from a previous conflict and setting themselves up as the new major player in the region.

It's not so simple as murica did this and murica did that ,we know we boardsies have discussed it thoroughly over 20 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I've actually seen 'war's at some junior b hurling matches. In fact I participated..... a little, until I realized the danger involvement presented for me. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think you may be taking a pessimistic view (!) but I admit I'm discussing this from a position of ignorance.

I don't know the UKs dependence on supply of gas from the pipes that connect them to other countries (in the EU?) and haven't had a chance to look into it.

I don't know if they can replace that with their own tanker imports in event of a supply crisis, just close connections and not send any gas Ireland's way either + come out in a better position than cooperating with others.

You're right though that UK under present leadership is probably most likely country (out of ones that will be affected) to try the "f-ck you I've got mine" road if they think they can make that path work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

We use very little Russian gas according to Leo just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Storage and wave power are paths to energy independence. Not more gas and more goal.

We need a national energy storage program and we need more wind and large investment into wave.

This includes grants on solar and a smarter grid where home storage is a managed service so power can be managed grid to home and back.

We import 50+ % of gas from the UK.

page 9 of the link below shows a map of the connections from mainland Europe into the uk.

Leo really should be called out on that.

We import from the UK.

The UK import from Europe and

Europe import from Russia and Norway:

Europe is a net importer of natural gas, almost two thirds (64.1 %) of the EU-28’s imports of natural gas in 2015 came from Russia, Norway or Algeria

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭brickster69

Total EU LNG terminals regasification capacity is 237 billion cubic meters

Demand is over 400 bcm

To give one example Germany has no LNG regasification terminal. It is laughable Joe Biden is phoning around a few pals to sort out supply. There is not enough ships to transport it, LNG is booked months in advance for delivery and guess what so are the ships.

Russia turns off the taps and factories have to shut like what is going on in Turkey

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Although in saying all that if you read on a bit further:

MaREI, Environmental Research Institute, University College Cork, carried out a recent study on the European integrated gas and electricity model for the EU to examine supply interruptions. One scenario they ran, was to model the impact of no Russian supply to Europe for a full year. They concluded that even if Russia didn’t supply the EU or Europe with gas for a year there would be no gas shortages across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

In case you lose a job or something like that you should consider career in science fiction. You seems to have a bit of a talent in that.

At this stage everyone knows why they went in Iraq and what happened after.

• Advertisement

No the biggest issue with Iraq was that they went in at all, a campaign primarily around securing oil but concocted on a tissue of lies and faux concerns about human rights.

You never did get back to me on the 750 bases in 80 countries...that's the inconvenience of facts for people like you they bite you in the arse! 🙂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement