Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

I have few cull Angus cows in good condition but not fat yet. Never have culls so wondering what's best to do with them. Would prefer them gone as caught for space

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ABP are bring out a new scheme. It's inc U16 month bulls but I wonder will it be for all the year. It could be an attempt to encourage autumn calving of suckler's. It's for 18-28 month steers and heifers. Cattle have to be average of 24 months. U16 months bulls word pull your average age down but it's a contract based scheme.

It's trying to jump onto the 100 euro under 24 month slaughter sub promised by the government. It could cause a right glut of cattle October/November. However it could make late summer early autumn cattle very scarce especially U 30 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

What I found interesting from this scheme, was the limit on cattle moves, only 1 move over the animal lifetime. This could be tricky for a lot of summer grazers and will tighten the number of potential buyers along the chain. The drive seem to be toward single residency for beef cattle or at most 2

Having it tied to QA, it could be start of the moving of the QA goalposts.

By bringing forward the slaughter age serves a big help for ABP, reduces it's dependency on feedlots and locks a certain amount of cattle to them

Ya feedlot cattle will struggle. Had not seen the single movement. It's calf/ weanling to slaughter or dairy farmers as stores to slaughter. But the average quoted price f@@ks it unless they stick to quoted prices. This is similar to when AA and HE schemes started there was a national quoted price that disappeared after a few years. The farmer supplier got only the quoted price on these cattle. It's even noticeable now with the HE scheme where mid sized supplier's where they bargain on base price do not get the HE bonuses

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think what's driving the new scheme is climate change controls and the wake up call that dairy beef is going to be the primary supply of beef going forward. If we see a massive switch to say c.24 month beef in the next year or two it will have huge consequences for the price. The supply chain into the market could increase by up to 20%. It will be very similar when the 30 months limit was imposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

4.30 base for bullocks offered here over the weekend - midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

A mixed load of heifers gone here this morning. €4.35 for limousine, €4.40 for hex and €4.55 for Angus. I’m not in He or AA schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

What factory

Ballinasloe.

I presume you are QA. Are they base prices or flat prices.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

They are base prices. QA to go on top of that plus grading.

The best grading will be some U grade limousine, all going well should be U= so they should come to €4.73.

Whitehead’s probably will average at O= or O+ so should pay out €4.42 - €4.48.

Unfortunately I’d only the one Angus among them! She should be an O=\O+ so should pay out at €4.57 - €4.63.

That’s all based on fat scores being correct. Some of the whiteheads probably should have been gone a fortnight ago. If they are O= and fat score is 4= there’ll be another 6 cent gone. If fat score is 4+ or if the grade is O- there’d be 14 cent knocked off with the 8 cent drop in QA. I shouldn’t have anything grade lower than O- and there shouldn’t be any at 4+ fat score (I hope!) but there could be an odd 4= on it.

It’s all a lottery until the kill sheet comes back!!

In other words they are giving you the AA and HE bonuses without being a member. They must be tight to give 20c on a single AA. I have seen that before when they are tight on breed numbers. I prefer R grade LM than AA. Some AA are poor to grade and weight.

Slava Ukrainii

That’s it alright. I didn’t even ask about the AA bonus, he asked me if any of them were an AA and told me he’d give 20 cent if they were.

I’m like yourself, I don’t like the AA at all. It’s too hard to get them into money as they get fat too soon. She came with a batch of whitehead suck calves and with her gone now I think I’ve only one more AA in the herd.

Looking at a bit of Birr mart on Monday and seeing what was being given for AA stores there if I had any more I’d be bringing them on to a mart now.

Not sure if I would carry AA stores to the mart. There is still probably 150+ in finishing them in June/July maybe more if you get them out early. It might seem small money but beef is a small margin game. Selling and replacing leaves no margin either.

Slava Ukrainii

I’d normally be of the same opinion (I haven’t sold an animal in a mart in years) but when you see 500-520 kg making €1,200 plus and 540 - 560kg making €1,300 - €1350 it makes you reconsider that opinion!

Got on a little bit better than I hoped. Got 10 cent breed bonus over base price for the whiteheads so €4.45 before grading. Nothing over 4- in fat score, majority were O= so €4.47/kg and weighing from 255-296kgs. The best grade in the whiteheads was an R= at 290kgs and she came in at €4.65/kg

Angus was an R- at 315 kg and €4.75/kg.

Limousines all made U= So €4.73/kg and weighed from 391-431kgs.

Overall very happy as no massive amount of ration used to finish them. The limousines have 400-450kg per head ate since mid October with the whiteheads + Angus only getting 2.5kgs of ration on top of about 6kgs of beet since coming off grass around the 20th November so about 150kgs of ration and about 350kgs of beet.

Details of the ABP scheme

Single movement animal unless contract reared on an approved farm, weight limits depending on type and gender. Only 10% of supply can be young bulls. Health and nutrient managment plan. minimum 6 (bulls) and 12 ( steers and heifers)months on farm. Hex bomus only for existing HE prime members. No extreme breeding (less than12.5% JE only allowed). However P+ cattle accepted.

A lot of hoops to jump through for 20c/kg off a price quoted by the processors. In lower priced factories there may be interest

Slava Ukrainii

Also thrown into the mix is genotyping

And the best is that all is:

Feed records, medicine records and vet plan must be available to ABP on request.

Pay peanuts, expect monkeys comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anyone running a system that suits should probably join up. All records are kept for Bord Bia anyway.

Running Sucklers to beef and dairy to beef here, so it would suit. It's a measly return on single occupancy or reduced moves on cattle. Refuse to deal with ABP locally on a previous issue.

It will up the level of meal. And help to deal with the high levels of cost in feedlots. Essentially you are contracting cattle to them.

• Advertisement

On an average 340 kg carcase it's 68 euro.

Health and nutrient management plan will cost 3-500 euro. You will probably average 3-5c/kg less than normal. 24 month average will mean a lot of cattle to be hung during the high feeding winter period.

IMO smaller producers are exiting the winter production of beef. It leaves processor's getting completely dependent on larger producers and there own feedlots.

There green image is straying as a lot of larger producers just pump ration into cattle for 70ish days.

However 60-80 euro is still letting the risk be carried by the producer. You are looking at either buying weanling direct from a dairy farmer or rearing from calves yourself. If you run either if these systems and kill 50+ cattle that is ok.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

If farmers aren't careful or somewhat united against that type of shite they'll end up even worse than they are now.

It's on the way to supplying them with the vice and putting your balls in it for them...

On a general point of principle the less they know and the less **** meddling in your affairs they can do the better off you are.

Unless we want to end up like chicken producers in the US beholden to the likes of Tyson and Perdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

But if you look at the pigs or chickens in this country it's all controlled by the factories, farmers are taking the risk and not getting paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

That's my opinion....if we had sense we would try not to play ball on their terms.

I'm not stupid enough to believe divide and conquer won't work its just a pity to see it happening.

Next they will be looking to specify the feed you use and what supplier you take it from and comparing every farmer against an efficiency benchmark they dream up with cuts for the vast majority that don't etc .....it always starts off grand until it isn't with that type of **** imo.

You need them but make no mistake they are the enemy particularly when they get organised.

It shouldn't stray much farther than price per kilo with bonuses for certain breeds etc, they get a fair margin and after that stay the **** in your corner and stop meddling in the running of ours.

If you don't like it then drop the price and we drop the supply...if you need more as there's money to be made **** pay for it.

This is all about supply for winter finishing. Up to 5 years ago they had dairy farmers that had beef units that finished cattle who did not want them going back to grass. Feedlot type finishers replaced them but they are starting to exit the system.

After colluding with the dept of Agriculture and getting a 100 euro sub 24 month payment out of farmers money they are using it to finance there winter supply

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Something had to be done about the Jex cross bull calves. They were a few dealers flogging them at farmers in the last few years. At young ages it was difficult to tell the difference. I know of a dealer who last year had the yard full of 'british fr' bulls has very little since Christmas.

The main difficulty I see in the scheme is the minimum residentiary period. That would not suit a person who finishes short keep cattle.

Any quotes for the week ahead for bulls and bullocks? Got 4.40 for bulls the week before last, journal says they are up 5cent again.

Is no one on here finishing cattle anymore? Record prices and not a word about it. I Thought this thread would be buzzing. Posted the above 13 days ago and nothing.

Ive a load to go this week. Hard to get an accurate price from the papers etc. But looking like €4.50+ of a base for bullocks and €4.50+ for u grade bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

I had a man out yest looking at stores... Offering me 2.65 accross board for Chx 600kg including 2 aax in that deal. 20 in total. These cattle only hitting 24 months next month... So ideal grass cattle.

Big improvement v last year's prices.

• Advertisement

It’s good money in fairness. I wouldn’t like to be giving it though. They still need 150kg on them to come into a little over 410kg dead. It’ll be august at the earliest before he could kill them. Prices would want to remain strong for him. Even at that it is some money to have tied up in stock to make a small margin.

Advertisement